Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends. I'm looking for some support, encouragement, and MBTI-oriented career guidance! Unfortunately, I was laid off yesterday from a marketing startup - fed some standard line about moving in a different direction/no longer having a need from my role/felt I'd be happier elsewhere. However, my INFJ power-gut tells me it mainly stemmed from misunderstanding my introversion and service-oriented motives. It honestly sucks to lose a job over this!

The company was comprised of nearly 100% extroverted personalities. In performance reviews prior to my layoff, my boss stated my work was stellar, but I often came across as “too intense,” and didn't seem to be "happy." …Typically, I just like to put my head down, headphones on, and do my job 110%. As I’m sure fellow INFJs will relate, I’m not much of a water cooler chit-chatter or randomly-called-meeting-group-brainstormer. I tried to adjust my energies positively toward these “valued” activities, but they really only depleted me.

When asked directly how they could make me “happy,” I did explain how they could foster a better environment: locate me in a less high-traffic area, provide flexible WFH hours, provide targeted skill development training, position me in a flex-departmental role, involve me in their NPO program development, adjust their insta-meeting culture so I could contribute in a prepared fashion. Instead, I was told (in so many words) that their startup was pivoting to an agency culture and my requests simply could not be accommodated due to budgeting restraints, company policies, value orientation…blah, blah, blah.

I’m using this period to embrace extrication from an environment that constantly judged my introversion, and am focusing instead on the pursuit of a new career path in teaching (elementary ed and/or ed tech) or UI/UX design. Are there any INFJs out there in either of these fields that can speak to their job satisfaction? I realize your answers will vary broadly! I appreciate any insight you can give.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I have some follow up thoughts to this...

I am a huge fan of design but my concern is it won't ultimately be fulfilling for my really strong "help people" sentiment. My city has a great job market for UI/UX work, and I have 3 years tech industry experience and I loved chasing after the hottest tech trends and learning about the nuts and bolts of design. I sit on the fence though; I could apply a love of tech to teaching it to kids...it's just that teaching jobs don't pay as well (I'm not particularly money driven, but bills don't pay themselves ;-)), there's often sticky politics with the lesson planning (this ex-homeschooler values teaching freedom) and there aren't as many jobs around here. I just want a role in which I feel confident "gives back!!" I think I would be fine with a tech company that was socially-minded/placed high value on sustainability/social entrepreneurship, too.

Background info: I graduated with a degree in International Relations/History minor, aiming to enter the Peace Corps and go into nonprofit org management. Peace Corps wasn't in the stars for me, but my first job outside of college with a mobile app development company (in marketing/project management roles) opened my eyes to the wonders of tech. I've just always had so many varied interests; I want to find a way to channel them creatively into something that is fulfilling!

Final question. INFJ designers out there - how do you deal with criticism? With verbal presentation of/defense of design? Obviously this is an issue in any workplace environment but I'm curious about this career in particular. Want to post a link to this great article on the subject but I'm too new. ;-) Visit Lauren Sapala dot com slash ?p=585 and see her article on the subject.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts