Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
INFJs / INFPs: much like the Elf tribe of Lord of the Rings…

It’s easy to take for granted the depth of sharing and caring we receive from each other here, but I want to say that I have been enjoying the feedback as something incomparible and in a category all it's own.

It’s not only the profundity, but also the time each of you take to comment. I’ve been a member of other forums and the contrast is immense. I feel like a privileged member of the Elf tribe in Lord of the Rings surrounded by beautiful sages who help me to grow more and more.

A HUGE thank you!

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
I'm glad you like all the feedback and advice. The forum is pretty good for that stuff. We do have quite a big INFJ/P membership here.

Your questions are always interesting, and I relish the opportunity to think deeper about where I sit on the topics you raise.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chilln

Perhaps it would be arrogant that any one personality type claim themselves to be the Elves of Lord of the Rings because they do represent such a wonderful utopian society. We know the work of literature wasn’t written as an analogy of the personality types... that’s why I was careful in stating that “I felt like I belonged to…”

I’m sure other types identify with this mythical people and might come up with many good reasons why. Analogies have a way of breaking down when forced too far.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't think it seems arrogant at all. Correct me if I am wrong, but it makes sense I think especially because INFPs are idealists and the Elves of course are the ideal (almost perfect) race to be. There are of course specific examples to chose from that could dispute this such as the orcs (who were corrupted elves turned to the dark side by Morgoth if I remember correctly).
Actually you know my favorite example of an Elf from the Silmarillion is Eol the dark elf. I somehow empathize strongly with this dude and feel that he could be an INTP since he is misunderstood by most Elves.
Eöl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think it seems arrogant at all. Correct me if I am wrong, but it makes sense I think especially because INFPs are idealists and the Elves of course are the ideal (almost perfect) race to be. There are of course specific examples to chose from that could dispute this such as the orcs (who were corrupted elves turned to the dark side by Morgoth if I remember correctly).
Actually you know my favorite example of an Elf from the Silmarillion is Eol the dark elf. I somehow empathize strongly with this dude and feel that he could be an INTP since he is misunderstood by most Elves.
Eöl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, you got it. I don't think anyone would like to be labeled an orc. No matter what personality type we have, we want to identify with what is noble and there is something noble in perservering while being misunderstood.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm glad you like all the feedback and advice. The forum is pretty good for that stuff. We do have quite a big INFJ/P membership here.

Your questions are always interesting, and I relish the opportunity to think deeper about where I sit on the topics you raise.
I cannot decide whether its the attunement or the deep thinking I like the most. Thankfully, I don't have to choose one against the other. Haha... It just feels good to belong.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would like to echo the sentiment of this thread. I'll often be reading through, come to a post I wish to respond to, take a while to think on it, come back and another INFJ will have already posted something far more complex, honest, and beautiful way than I had begun to think of. For this you have my most sincere thanks and an occasional frustrated, cantankerous shake of my fist. :laughing:

In time I hope to have a more coherent grasp on how my complex complex emotional stew affects my perceptions, both internal and external, and I think this forum may be just the place for that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I dont think anyone reading elrond could see an nf personality type. He seems an SJ or NT to me so does glorfindel. Legolas seems a classic SP, especially in the movies. If any race of middle earth is associated with a personality type it is NT and the Dwarves. Granted some elves could be NF's but I dont see it in the main character offering of Tolkien.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I dont think anyone reading elrond could see an nf personality type. He seems an SJ or NT to me so does glorfindel. Legolas seems a classic SP, especially in the movies. If any race of middle earth is associated with a personality type it is NT and the Dwarves. Granted some elves could be NF's but I dont see it in the main character offering of Tolkien.
True, the character I most usually read of typed as an NF from Lord of the Rings is Frodo as an INFP. Gandalf is often typed as INTJ, which I find accurate. I would say Sam is probably ISFJ. I think it's hard to type any group/race/kingdom as being just one of the temperaments, as others have already said. If anybody has type guesses on other characters from the books, it'd be cool to hear. On the other hand, are there individual characters from Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit that any of you really yourself in, in one way or another?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I personally have never been a huge elves fan. they are stuck up to me. The Noldor screw up the first age in the simarillion, in the second age they screw around making rings, and in the third age they are unwilling to do anything but watch as their world disintegrated. NF's would have a drive to keep fighting for their world.
I see Gandalf as a possible INFJ altho most say intj, His master plan is people not systems, and that makes me suspect infj. Faramir may be the only true infj in the books. I just see a lot of myself in his character. He is able to see the need for Frodo and sam to go on, the value of their quest, the value of Gondor and he has an enlightened view of warfare as a crude means to an end. His affairs with Eowyn are so more real then Aragorn and arwen, their's emotion behind his pursuit of Eowyn and the way he is smitten immediately is something i know all too well. He also ends up as the noble number 2 in a kingdom which is very infjish, content to be a behind the scenes leader but not in the spotlight.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Wow, I had a great post. Browser closed. Lost it. *sigh*
Once I work up the heart I'll try to rewrite and post.
I wrote so much, and then *poof* - gone.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts