Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, we INFJs are supposed to be activists.

Instead of trying to become Fuhrer of Germany :blushed:, I'm going to try to convince everyone here to support Ron Paul in the next presidential election.

Yes, traditionally, I am a liberal democrat, but even the best of the democratic party (Obama) can't do what is necessary to save our teetering economy, stop our runaway deficit (Do you guys remember what a balanced budget looked like?), restore our liberties, etc.

Thoughts on Ron Paul, people?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
HA HA HAHA.

I'm sorry. Ron Paul always strikes me as very hilarious because out of all the republicans during the last republican primary, they all kind of chuckled and laughed at ron paul's liberal ideas.

it was pretty funny.

sad I don't actually know how well he would be as a politician but basically it went something like this...

ron paul,"we need to be thinking about the planet."

everyone else, "hahahah. oh ron, you silly twit."

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
oh if I can find it on youtube that would be perfect... because it really is funny.
he sounds like a great campaign guy, but I would want to see how he fares in a debate on economic issues with a democrat... cause he failed in terms of enviornmental arguments.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I loved it when people started questioning the need for money during the BP Oil Spill cleanup.

"Dudes. If this shit gets worse, we can kill the planet." "Hmm... Do you think our insurance will cover that?"

Totally off-topic, but a thought that was spurred from GC's post.

I don't get into politics. All the deceit and backhandedness involved just does my head in. I live by my own rules, and I'm not enough of a dick to think that these same rules can apply to everyone else. But that's only my opinion.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I loved it when people started questioning the need for money during the BP Oil Spill cleanup.

"Dudes. If this shit gets worse, we can kill the planet." "Hmm... Do you think our insurance will cover that?"

I don't get into politics. All the deceit and backhandedness involved just does my head in. I live by my own rules, and I'm not enough of a dick to think that these same rules can apply to everyone else. But that's only my opinion.
I watch political debates almost as if I were watching animals at the zoo.
with a slight wonder and fascination but ultimately laking understanding of a bigger picture in mind of anyone debating... maybe thats cause the "knowing" is pretty much a facade politicians put on.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Okay, we INFJs are supposed to be activists.

Instead of trying to become Fuhrer of Germany :blushed:, I'm going to try to convince everyone here to support Ron Paul in the next presidential election.

Yes, traditionally, I am a liberal democrat, but even the best of the democratic party (Obama) can't do what is necessary to save our teetering economy, stop our runaway deficit (Do you guys remember what a balanced budget looked like?), restore our liberties, etc.

Thoughts on Ron Paul, people?
Hehe, I used to be a HUGE libertarian type early on in high school, and Ron Paul was my main guy. I believed that the free market system cured all our ills, and the government system is way too fraudulent, inefficient, and corrupt to handle any of our society's problems (of which I still think there's some truth to that).

However, I gradually came to realize that instead of refusing to have the government as our master, something else would fill the vacuum oppress us instead. Namely, corporations, which are completely undemocratic. Not to mention the capitalist system, at it's foundations, without any of the reforms we've made, is a very top heavy system--it works for the rich, but otherwise you live a shitty life if you're working class.

But anyway, since you're trying to convince us , what are your reasons we should think the Ron Paul-types will fix everything?:happy:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

I watch political debates almost as if I were watching animals at the zoo.
with a slight wonder and fascination but ultimately laking understanding of a bigger picture in mind of anyone debating... maybe thats cause the "knowing" is pretty much a facade politicians put on.

in all actuality though I really like gavin newsom.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hehe, I used to be a HUGE libertarian type early on in high school, and Ron Paul was my main guy. I believed that the free market system cured all our ills, and the government system is way too fraudulent, inefficient, and corrupt to handle any of our society's problems (of which I still think there's some truth to that).

However, I gradually came to realize that instead of refusing to have the government as our master, something else would fill the vacuum oppress us instead. Namely, corporations, which are completely undemocratic. Not to mention the capitalist system, at it's foundations, without any of the reforms we've made, is a very top heavy system--it works for the rich, but otherwise you live a shitty life if you're working class.

But anyway, since you're trying to convince us , what are your reasons we should think the Ron Paul-types will fix everything?:happy:
I don't believe in the free market economy either. In the absence of authority, other, less just, authorities rise to take their place. Corporations are far worse of an economic regulator than our government. That's true.

What I see with Ron Paul is the lesser of two evils. Government spending needs to be cut. If we keep racking up the debt at this rate, our runaway inflation (See US dollar vs. Oil price and compare it to gold vs. oil price) will destroy the middle class. People with relatively fixed incomes (Teachers, nurses, people living on minimum wage) will begin to see a drastic reduction in their standard of living, and when that occurs, the spending potential of the American consumer will drop significantly, choking our economy.

Our only hope would be hoping that our incredibly weak dollar and very low standard of living might spur an export economy... but in salvaging our economy in that way... we'd suffer an enormous drop in SOL.

But nether party will cut spending to their appropriate levels because that would be political suicide.

The way we're printing money now is horribly irresponsible and yet it's the only thing keeping this broken economy afloat :frustrating:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
What I see with Ron Paul is the lesser of two evils. Government spending needs to be cut. If we keep racking up the debt at this rate, our runaway inflation (See US dollar vs. Oil price and compare it to gold vs. oil price) will destroy the middle class. People with relatively fixed incomes (Teachers, nurses, people living on minimum wage) will begin to see a drastic reduction in their standard of living, and when that occurs, the spending potential of the American consumer will drop significantly, choking our economy.
I agree that runaway inflation would be a pretty major problem. That happened in the late-70's, and...it wasn't pretty.

However, that's not whats happening, at least according to some economists. What we're facing is actually deflation. Here is an article about that if you're interested.

Reactions: 1ThusGone

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree that runaway inflation would be a pretty major problem. That happened in the late-70's, and...it wasn't pretty.

However, that's not whats happening, at least according to some economists. What we're facing is actually deflation. Here is an article about that if you're interested.
Interesting article. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

Yep, but that article is from July and the situation was very different then from now. I don't about how things are reported on your side of the pond, but form here it is very clear which direction the USD is going, and that means high imported inflation, since the US is dependent on imports of among other things oil. Unless others are interested, I don't want to turn this thread into a debate on the near tear macroeconomic outlook for the fiat currencies of the western world, but I do have more to say, if you want to hear. (Hint: we're possibly looking at far worse than the 70's.)

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, but that article is from July and the situation was very different then from now. I don't about how things are reported on your side of the pond, but form here it is very clear which direction the USD is going, and that means high imported inflation, since the US is dependent on imports of among other things oil. Unless others are interested, I don't want to turn this thread into a debate on the near tear macroeconomic outlook for the fiat currencies of the western world, but I do have more to say, if you want to hear. (Hint: we're possibly looking at far worse than the 70's.)
Yes, that's what I've been hearing ^ The situation seems to be very bad.

The system needs a system-reboot and an immediate balancing of the budget.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I don't believe in the free market economy either. In the absence of authority, other, less just, authorities rise to take their place. Corporations are far worse of an economic regulator than our government. That's true.

Our only hope would be hoping that our incredibly weak dollar and very low standard of living might spur an export economy... but in salvaging our economy in that way... we'd suffer an enormous drop in SOL.

But nether party will cut spending to their appropriate levels because that would be political suicide.

The way we're printing money now is horribly irresponsible and yet it's the only thing keeping this broken economy afloat :frustrating:
The tragedy is that by the next presidential election it might very well be to late... :sad:

But I do support your cause!!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Im going to support him. Why, you wonder?

Cause: Ron Pauls message of freedom and liberty must be heard.

Reactions: Agile

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I'm a Labour party Australian so no dice :p

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
his policies are intentionally minimal in order to promote other ideals, i.e. repeal of certain things will allow certain bad things I do not agree with to flouirish...

he talks a good talk ...but no way.

this has caught people who haven't done due diligence on the guy off guard, esp usual semi extreme liberals... he is actually far right socially conservative, and champions those ideals, despite is otherwise OK policy prescriptions.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I kind of like Paul, mostly, but I think you'll need to first convince us that he's electable, especially against Obama. Can you imagine a debate between shaky voiced Paul and smooth talking Obama? The people of the United States of Hollywood would just laugh Paul out.

I literally think you would have a far better chance, and have more support, of becoming the Fuhrer of America than getting Paul elected, in this culture.

I would actually rather have McCain in office, right now. He understands Washington and would get a lot more done, and has a track record of improving efficiency and spending issues. Obama has none of that, of course, since he did barely anything before being elected. I donated a bunch of money to Paul during the 2008 election, and his participation probably just lost the election for McCain.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts