Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned this in some random thread some time ago, but didn't receive any responses. Since I was hoping for an answer (or at least a decent argument), I'm taking the next best step... Annoying you nice folks with another speculative thread!

For a while, I've seen that the INFJ seems to get put on a pedestal alot. Words like mystic, psychic, and visionary are haphazardly thrown about in our lengthy explanations of what should simply be a list of cognitive functions

Now I know there are many of you who don't feel this way. And no worries, I make n accusations. But the reasoning behind my argument is this:

Carl Jung was an INFJ, correct? Subsequently, was he not also the man who created the MBTI? Sounds abit fishy, don't you think?

So what say you, fine internet personalities here on PerC?

Do you think this might dent the MBTI's credibility? Or do you think differently?

[/Launching topic in 3... 2... 1... ]

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I believe he identified himself as a Ti-dominant type rather Ni-dominant. There is no agreement as to which type he was - some say INFJ, some say INTP, some say INTJ and there even have been claims of him being ENTP.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hrm. So far, I've found that the majority of my sources claim he is an INFJ. I could be wrong, but where's the fun in that?

I can't shake the foundations of your beliefs if you don't believe what I'm saying :C

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I think a lot of people talk about how adorable we are because we are so rare and misunderstood... without really knowing us.

I am still waiting to order my INFJ shirt.

·
Registered
945 Posts
INFJ are the 'nice guys' or MBTI,.. evryone says they're lovely, kind blah blah blah, but no one really wants one around permanently as a mate, or as anyone signifigant, thats my experience anyway:)
I think peoplle pay lip service to us, but are usually happy that they arent us, and dont have to bother ith all that internal struggling, moralising and repression.
Are we overrated? Yes, probably, as I say, we get lip service paid to us, but as in art and in real life, the goody two shoes is seen as a 2 dimensional chatacter and not very interesting.
Nice... but not Wow, you know?
To follow on from what batangman said, people tend not to understand us fully, or to even have a clue what we're really all about, and this is where the 'nice but boring' impression comes from.
Are INFJ mystical, psychic etc? Some are, undoubtedly, some are just using their litte understood functions naturally, to the bemusement of others.
We deal in smoke and mirrors,.. myths, over rating, under rating, obfuscation and undeserved praise are par for the course.
G. x

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha. It is certainly a struggle

Being an enneagram 4, I'm highly enthused that my result was the rarest type (and even rarer moreso because I am a male)

But I like to believe that everyone can do the things I do. Everyone should be able to empathize like I can. I know people have it in them, but they just don't nurture it like I do

On that note, I believe that even if I am special, so is everyone else

They just need to pull their heads out of their asses, that's all :/

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know why I am overrated.
I can totally shift everything in myself, into everything that another person needs.
My reaction, my action, my interest, ... everything.
This is simply...nature.
That's one side of the coin.
But on the other side...in order to do that, you need to offer a lot of yourself. You build up a lot of internal stress.
And when you flip a coin, every now and then it lands on it's side.

You don't want to meet me when the coin is on its side.

But you know why I am overrated?

Because...

When this happens...

...people understand!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am with dsv2e on this

From a business context I would say no we are not overrated (probably the opposite). I think we may be put on a pedestal by people who know MBTI and are interested in it but is that the same reaction as the general public?

Rarity is a funny one - I am sure I have read somewhere that the studies that gave the 1% number were not carried out particulaly well and should not be relied upon at all. A myth has grown up around the rarety - I think too many people like the idea of rarity and being different.

I know I briefly fell into the trap of identifying myself as INFJ and liking the idea of being INFJ- It took me a while to move on and just see it as an awareness tool which gives a good insight into improving myself and trying to understand others.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Being an INFJ can be a difficult, but also rewarding, thing. Personally, though, I'm still waiting for the "rewarding" part...It's a struggle, being so "different" from other people. I am lucky to know other INFJs in real life, even family members. So, I don't have it so bad anymore now that I'm an adult.

But when I was a child and a teenager, it was hard. I hardly related to my own peers, they just seemed to lack a certain depth. Yet at the same time, I envied certain of my friends for their strong academic talent, or musical talent, their confidence, their cheerfulness, their ability to put their all into every task, etc etc. I always felt like more of a "jack of all trades," good enough at many things, but not really spectacularly gifted in anything. Even singing, which is my best talent, I think, my younger sister far outshines me.

If I had the absolute freedom to be myself at all times with no responsibility for others, it would be easier in a lot of ways, I think. But, it would also be very lonely...So, I have opted to surround myself with friends and family, have a husband and children, and struggle through the many roles I have taken upon myself. Eventually, I hope to slowly shed these other roles (to a degree-- not that I plan to ever divorce my husband or disown my children), but for now this is my life. And I have to remind myself constantly to just enjoy the little things that make it all worth it. And how much I truly love my family and want to be the best I can be for them.

In some ways, I think INFJs are one of the most "free-spirited" personality types. But at the same time, our sense of responsilibity is so strong that we rarely let ourselves experience the freedom we long for. And so if we aren't careful, we can easily become dissatisfied with our lives, and some might go to great lengths to try and escape from the things (like family) that we feel are holding us down; but then if we do that, we can end up alienating ourselves from the people we love and need and who love us and need us.

·
Banned
89 Posts
mystic, psychic, and visionary...these are not always positive words.
Think about how many mystic psychics and visionaries have been exiled, assassinated, executed, tortured and so on, throughout history.
There's the whole Jesus as an infj theory. I have a feeling a lot of modern day Christians actually wouldn't have liked Jesus very much had they lived in his time.
Many mystics or visionaries aren't appreciated until well after their death.
So, no I don't really think infjs are over-rated because a heavy burden often comes with being a mystic, visionary or psychic.

I've also heard infj's referred to as crazy, weird, basket case...

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I mentioned this in some random thread some time ago, but didn't receive any responses. Since I was hoping for an answer (or at least a decent argument), I'm taking the next best step... Annoying you nice folks with another speculative thread!

For a while, I've seen that the INFJ seems to get put on a pedestal alot. Words like mystic, psychic, and visionary are haphazardly thrown about in our lengthy explanations of what should simply be a list of cognitive functions

Now I know there are many of you who don't feel this way. And no worries, I make n accusations. But the reasoning behind my argument is this:

Carl Jung was an INFJ, correct? Subsequently, was he not also the man who created the MBTI? Sounds abit fishy, don't you think?

So what say you, fine internet personalities here on PerC?

Do you think this might dent the MBTI's credibility? Or do you think differently?

[/Launching topic in 3... 2... 1... ]
INFJ is generally a worthless personality. It, however, is a necessary personality in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps 1 in a 1,000 of us will adopt some social cause into our Ni and work tirelessly to make it a reality. That 1 in a 1,000 is basically a well-intentioned nutcase, but the world needs a few of those.

The rest of us who are mostly sane get these great insights without any avenue to unleash our wisdom. It just bottles up inside us, and so we find places like this forum to release it.

I can only recall once in my entire life that one of my great INFJ insights benefited someone. It saved my dad about 20k in the stock market.

So yeah, I think the INFJ is just overrated. It may not be Carl Jung's fault but just other personalities observing our behavior. We do seem to get mystical insights into the nature of things, but so what? It rarely helps with everyday life.

Reactions: Goodewitch

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I am with dsv2e on this

From a business context I would say no we are not overrated (probably the opposite). I think we may be put on a pedestal by people who know MBTI and are interested in it but is that the same reaction as the general public?

Rarity is a funny one - I am sure I have read somewhere that the studies that gave the 1% number were not carried out particulaly well and should not be relied upon at all. A myth has grown up around the rarety - I think too many people like the idea of rarity and being different.

I know I briefly fell into the trap of identifying myself as INFJ and liking the idea of being INFJ- It took me a while to move on and just see it as an awareness tool which gives a good insight into improving myself and trying to understand others.
Thank you so much for this post. This is exactly the point I've been trying to get across.

INFJ is generally a worthless personality. It, however, is a necessary personality in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps 1 in a 1,000 of us will adopt some social cause into our Ni and work tirelessly to make it a reality.
And this is exactly what we need to do. I noticed that since I had a "mission" on this forum to liberate the souls of other troubled INFJs, my inner monoluge has stopped intellectualizing. Things I write are less overwroght. I feel good and useful.

We have to serve ourselves by serving others. If we do not do so, we will get swept away in the clouds. We don't have to be a "nutcase" as long as we try our best to enjoy simplicity for what it is and find ways to realistically help people.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And this is exactly what we need to do. I noticed that since I had a "mission" on this forum to liberate the souls of other troubled INFJs, my inner monoluge has stopped intellectualizing. Things I write are less overwroght. I feel good and useful.
HE SAID THE WORD OF THE DAY! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

... Whew. Alright, unnecessary retro pop culture references aside, this is what I was looking for. Why do you think we INFJ need a "mission" to make ourselves happy? Why can't we just be aimless and satisfied?

I can relate to you exactly, dsv2e. Once I figured out that I wanted to go ahead with my cartoon idea (although in all honesty it looks like a pipe dream), my own inner monologue stopped torturing me as well. Instead, it turned 180, and now gives me encouragement to realize these goals

So, why do you think the INFJ needs a path in life? What do you think makes us so humanitarian?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think we are overrated by others, usually ones that know of MBTI. But we tend to underrate ourselves, or at least I do. With our perfectionism and the need to keep peace and be liked, it's no wonder that we sometimes succumb to self-loathing. Knowing my type only gave me a very temporary boost in self-esteem. It very quickly became clear that along with all the great things that are said about INFJ, there are also a load of nasty things to be said as well.

I cross posted with Zomboy, so I'm editing to add: We are idealists and perfectionists. In order to feel self-worth, we need to be working toward our ideals, otherwise we feel like frauds or failures. We need to feel that we are of some use. Otherwise what is the point? For us, who are not sensors, our highest goal in life cannot be enjoyment. It must accord with our ideals about what the world should or could be. Our deepest need seems to be to answer the question,' why?'. Why am I here?

Reactions: Goodewitch

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
INFJ is generally a worthless personality.
Ah, would beg to differ. I'm about as INFP as you can get, but the INFJs I've run into I can relate with really well. I think the INFJ is quite a great personality type. In terms of overrated....it seems rather silly to me! Personality types don't have to be tremendously useful to be worthwhile! (Yes...I'm afraid that includes INFPs as well, lol)

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
HE SAID THE WORD OF THE DAY! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

... Whew. Alright, unnecessary retro pop culture references aside, this is what I was looking for. Why do you think we INFJ need a "mission" to make ourselves happy? Why can't we just be aimless and satisfied?

I can relate to you exactly, dsv2e. Once I figured out that I wanted to go ahead with my cartoon idea (although in all honesty it looks like a pipe dream), my own inner monologue stopped torturing me as well. Instead, it turned 180, and now gives me encouragement to realize these goals

So, why do you think the INFJ needs a path in life? What do you think makes us so humanitarian?
LOL. I used to watch Pewee's Playhouse as a child. I had a doll with a string too. :laughing:

In regards to your questions, our life needs a purpose or we will be unfulfilled. Being introverts, we think before we act, BUT we must act. We think about other people, but we need to actually be around other people, or we will only imagine inspiring others, and it will never come true.

Have a great day! I hope that every troubled INFJ reads this thread- too idealistic of a thought though, I suppose :wink:

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I rated this thread five stars. I am going to use a trick that I learned on Internet Movie Data Base.

*BUMP*

MY INFJ BRETHREN, KNOW THYSELF AND FREE YOURSELVES FROM YOUR SHELLS!

·
Registered
23 Posts
One reason why INFJs are rated so highly is because we are so rare. I guess people think if there are fewer of something the better that makes them. Personally, I really don't know. All I know that living life as an INFJ has its ups and downs like any other type. Every person has wants and needs to make them feel satisfied. Maybe what an INFJ requires to live in harmony are just different. Since other non-INFJ don't need the same thing, it confuses them and we're all grouped into this strange minority. I don't know, just voicing my opinion.

Reactions: Zomboy
1 - 20 of 53 Posts