Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is why I love this forum so much. I come here and read these posts and I know that I am not the only person in the world with this perspective.

I have been thinking about these things all the time, and I have started to form an idea about us INFJs and our place in the world. I feel that in the archetypal tribe we are the shamans, the mystics, the medicine men/women. Half of ourselves are in this timeless spiritual world and the other half in reality along with everyone else, and our role is to serve as a liaison between the two worlds or something along those lines. This is gonna sound crazy but who cares, us INF_s (J and P were added on by Katharine Cook Briggs and her daughter, Isabel Briggs Myers) are the ones who deliver and uphold morals in society. Jesus, Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Kierkegaard, Kant, Mother Theresa, Carl Jung, Nelson Mandela, etc. The causes that they were concerned with were timeless (morals, psych types, roles and duties, truth, etc.) INF_s usually become writers too. I feel like INF_s are the ones who show us the world, as guides in a way by writing stories that get embedded in our psyches when we are young. It was mentioned earlier that just as an ENTJ cannot not lead, the INFJ must intuit. INF_s were the ones who envisioned cultures and traditions and so forth and the ENTJ was the archetypal tribe leader who helped lead the people on towards fulfilling those cultures and traditions.

"Follow your bliss.
If you do follow your bliss,
you put yourself on a kind of track
that has been there all the while waiting for you,
and the life you ought to be living
is the one you are living.
When you can see that,
you begin to meet people
who are in the field of your bliss,
and they open the doors to you.
I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid,
and doors will open
where you didn't know they were going to be.
If you follow your bliss,
doors will open for you that wouldn't have opened for anyone else."
— Joseph Campbell

I feel that if we recognize our bliss, or recognize the activities that make us feel in sync with life, we will be able to live up to our potential. And if we help others find their bliss we will start to make the world a better place.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I know not yet of my place in the world.

But the location I belong? Where my heart longs to be? In the arms of people I love and love me, In bellingham Washington.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great post! It's a little strange to live in a "one-size-fits-all" type of world, where the strange or different are usually classified and medicated in order to try to change what we are naturally good at. Some types seem to find their place so easily in this world (If you call studying business and plugging away at corporate jobs really "finding your place"), but it's in my experience that INFJs have a much harder time doing this. I'm at this fork in the road, myself. I got in a fight with my boyfriend last night because he was lecturing me that I do a lot of things to advance my life and career, but I need to network more and make people notice me and pay me and blah blah. What I had to explain to him was that I knew I could do that if I had a reason to want to get noticed- but I don't feel like I am in my "place" yet, or somewhere that inspires me to the max to get going.

That's the thing- INFJs are sooooo passionate and strong when they find what they believe in. I know- I can make myself do almost ANYTHING if I feel like it is important enough. I have recently picked up activism as another cause of mine, only to realize that I may not even know what I believe yet- and that informing others while in this state of lingo is just as bad as anything. I realized that we truly do have to focus on what makes us truly happy (and doesn't just satisfy our compulsion to end our anxieties i.e. joining random causes in hopes of helping all of mankind when I can't even take care of myself.)

It's a long road, but if we open our intuition (and learn to listen to it again!) we might actually get somewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What a great thread! I personally haven't found a "place" per se, but more of a direction in which to point myself. I used to think of myself as a scientist, trying to figure the world out, but then I realized that it's not the physical science of the world that I'm interested in, it's the people that live in it.
Above anything else, I believe that a lot of people can be happier than they are right now, and I sincerely want to see the social quirks and problems that cause so much heartache disappear. That's what I'm working on right now...but it's a big job!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't know for certain what my place in the world is, and perhaps I never will, but I feel that in the long run I am meant to make the world a better place for all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know what my place is really, all I know is that I want to make it better, now this doesn't mean I have to do it V for Vendetta style, if I can just make a real substantial difference in one persons life I am happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts