Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
INFJs ramble? Which cognitive function(s) make them ramble?

I've had INFJ close friends before and I've noticed the same trend, they like to go on and on about something lol. :laughing: What is it that makes them ramble? And do all/most INFJs ramble?

I know I ramble a lot too because I enjoy going off to Ne-land where the fairies are. But I don't do it nearly to the extent of my INFJ friends.

Sometimes INFJs scare me when they want to get into my personal (emotional?) space though.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Ti helps to articulate better. It just takes me time and so it depends who I'm talking to. Just last night a friend, she interrupts me before I could answer her questions and I had to say, "wait a minute! I have to think about it for a minute!". But if I'm rambling, that means I'm communicating not only with someone I feel comfortable with (That they'll be able to follow my train of thought, ask questions when needed indicating they actually listen, and that they won't judge my way of thinking which is a little different), all of which say I'm not only comfortable but that I trust that person - rambling also occurs either by accident or not when I'm overly excited about a topic or a topic I'm knowledgeable and passionate about. Really. It's a compliment if I'm rambling. And you should hug your infj after they ramble to let them know their trust and openness is appreciated. Hugs are like eating frosted flakes for breakfast when your mom only let's you eat cheerios.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'm glad you made this thread. I can feel a little less self conscious about it now. :laughing:

When it happens it's generally about something I'm very interested in or feel enthusiastic about. But it can also happen if I'm thinking about or trying to understand something. And again, mostly with someone who I trust not to find me weird and won't mind it. But I still feel very self concious and embarrassed when I realise afterwards.

And like @Winter Haven there is definitely a tendency for it happen after I haven't conversed to anyone in a long time.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm glad you made this thread. I can feel a little less self conscious about it now. :laughing:

When it happens it's generally about something I'm very interested in or feel enthusiastic about. But it can also happen if I'm thinking about or trying to understand something. And again, mostly with someone who I trust not to find me weird and won't mind it. But I still feel very self concious and embarrassed when I realise afterwards.

And like @Winter Haven there is definitely a tendency for it happen after I haven't conversed to anyone in a long time.
You shouldn't feel self-conscious though, it's cool! INTPs and INFJs are like ramble cousins lol. But now I'm glad to find out that my INFJ friends trust me :happy:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mostly I am on the receiving end of the conversation. But sometimes I am in this happy, almost childish state where I would just talk about anything that comes to mind, regardless of my audience. Stated above is true - when I do this, I feel very much at ease with you. Sometimes I feel ashamed for my enthusiasm afterwards, haha.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Heh. Just had a conversation about this with my ENTP last night. I wasn't aware of how often I ramble. Yikes.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'm often guilty of "Shiny Red Ball Disorder".

I'll start to tell a story about an episode of Seinfeld, and by the time I've made my point 22 minutes later, I've gone off tangent eight times all the way from a story about King Edward III in 1365, back to Seinfeld again. :frustrating:

If I've been isolated for a few days and haven't talked to anyone, that tendency will show itself the most.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have a couple of conversational modes. The rambling one is where I'm letting my thoughts loose. Sometimes it takes talking through them for me to find a way of explaining the pictures and impressions in my head. There's no reason for me to translate those pictures to words unless I have a listener I want to share it with. So, if I start talking to somebody that really gets my mind going, I won't have had any chance to think through the new ideas ahead of time.

It's me, trying one path after another, to get a picture out of my head and into yours. But the thing is, to do that processing while speaking out loud, I almost have to completely lose track of myself. Kind of like a trance. That puts me in a very vulnerable position, and is why I only ramble around people I trust and am comfortable with first, otherwise I can't break from that awareness of self without being worried I won't recognize if my talk is ill-received.

If I'm rambling, you've got my actual thoughts, my actual process of searching for order in the chaos of so many possibilities, and my real trust. I know how hard it is on some people's ears to listen to, and I very much don't let that side of me loose without knowing I'm in a safe place to do so. A place where the other person gets that the translation process is necessary, and doesn't reflect a lack of intelligence or mental organization.

On the flip side, I think this is why I have moments where somebody is talking to me and I'm neither understanding what their words mean, or have anything to say in return. If I can't get out of that awareness of self, your perception of me, my perception of you, reading facial expressions and tone. . . then I can't utilize my conceptual and idea processing powers. And I end up embarrassingly wordless. -___-

In fact, I'm always having to go back through my writing to edit out the "ramble" lol. This reply being a perfect example. One idea leads to another, leads to another, until I find the core meaning and a new way to express it more simply in future.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm known to ask to my conversation partners "why am i saying this?" and it's not a rhetorical question because i'm coming to the point, it's because i truly forgot between all the different tangents i made (which somehow seemed reasonable at the time but usually not in hindsight).

that's kind of why i originally though i had Ne, it seemed to fit that function.
maybe it's N combined with Fe?

I'm often guilty of "Shiny Red Ball Disorder".

I'll start to tell a story about an episode of Seinfeld, and by the time I've made my point 22 minutes later, I've gone off tangent eight times all the way from a story about King Edward III in 1365, back to Seinfeld again. :frustrating:

If I've been isolated for a few days and haven't talked to anyone, that tendency will show itself the most.
At least you seem to remember what the point is :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.