Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend showed me the video of Jason Russell, the co-founder of invisible children, having a mental breakdown in public while being naked. It just reminded me of times where I had similar moments in which I just completely lost it.

I don't think he's an INFJ but I felt sorry for the guy. It was confirmed that he was not publicly masturbating nor had he taken any drugs.

What are your thoughts?

I'm also just wondering: Have there ever been moments where you just completely lost it? What were the ramifications of your actions?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I'm a little skeptical about that situation, just because it is Hollywood that's doing these reports. But if it's not a publicity stunt, then I do feel bad for the guy. I feel kinda bad for him anyway because I know he's getting a lot of criticism, and even if he deserved the criticism, it's got to be overwhelming, suddenly coming from soooo many people.
I've had those sort of "losing it" moments before, but fortunately not that severe where I was walking around naked or anything, haha. The closest I've come, is one time, as a teen, I had an anxiety or panic attack. I was standing with a friend and their friends and some strangers outside a building and I freaked out and ran to the ocean, which was a few blocks away. It was a really weird impulse. I felt out of control and was really embarrassed afterward because I couldn't explain my actions.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One less serious time, that I don't think counts as a mental break down, was an incident I had at the age of 11 at a friend's house. I flushed his toilet and it started overflowing so I panicked and ran out of his house and started skateboarding frantically back to my house. My friend chased me but couldn't keep up with me and I eventually made it back home.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
One less serious time, that I don't think counts as a mental break down, was an incident I had at the age of 11 at a friend's house. I flushed his toilet and it started overflowing so I panicked and ran out of his house and started skateboarding frantically back to my house. My friend chased me but couldn't keep up with me and I eventually made it back home.
Your story made me laugh - Sorry! Yep, i've encoutered this, the water keeps rising and rising and there's nothing you can do about it!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I really feel bad for the guy. I've broken down twice before in the past and it's overwhelming. Both times came with an enormous feeling of hopelessness for some reason. I'm usually a fairly upbeat and slightly happy go lucky kinda guy. But when I broke down I responded with a feeling of rage and borderline sheer madness at everything. The first time I was by myself and the second time one of my closest friends (who happens to be an entp) was around. He let me blow my top for a bit and finally got me to sit down and get my senses back. Not something I'm proud of to say the least. I have a temper at times that normally stays locked up in a box in the back of my mind. But those instances were.....um..Different. So I really do feel bad for Jason. If for nothing but a "I've been there" stand point.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
this is all very sad. sometimes the weight of grief and stress can be so heavy that someone collapses under the load. Russell's grief was on behalf of children who are hurting, a cause for which he devotedly sacrificed his time and labor, and he broke under the load...shouldn't that be considered heroic? and why, why would someone publicize that and expose him to national shame? sometimes i think the news media are so cruel in their intrusive probing of what should be the private business of citizens - like when they grill grieving and struggling people with probing questions, allowing them no privacy or time alone to mourn.

i haven't had any mental breakdowns but my heart goes out to those who have...it is often a sign that they have had to be strong under intense and overwhelming difficulty for far longer than any human could be expected to do so.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've met INFJs who didn't have mental breakdowns per se, but have become so jaded that they've allowed their cynicism to color their entire worldview. Their shells harden and they live just to avoid pain. Mental disturbance doesn't necessarily have to be dramatic or immediate. When someone's life grinds against them for long enough, the end result can be the same with a whimper and not a bang.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Yes, I’ve had those times where I’ve completely lost it. For instance, I was feeling really stressed because of my ex-friends and the amount of pressure they were putting on me years ago. Being a chameleon, I would always try to bring harmony into the group, but they were all such energy vampires. I could no longer handle it. One day, they were just too much, and I ran away from them and screamed like a lunatic on the sidewalk. I kept on running until I reached the beach, and I started dancing like crazy in the water.

Surprisingly, my stress was relieved. Those few moments were the most carefree moments of my life.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Yes, I’ve had those times where I’ve completely lost it. For instance, I was feeling really stressed because of my ex-friends and the amount of pressure they were putting on me years ago. Being a chameleon, I would always try to bring harmony into the group, but they were all such energy vampires. I could no longer handle it. One day, they were just too much, and I ran away from them and screamed like a lunatic on the sidewalk. I kept on running until I reached the beach, and I started dancing like crazy in the water.

Surprisingly, my stress was relieved. Those few moments were the most carefree moments of my life.
Sounds like it was very cathartic.

In say the days following how did you feel? Was it like you'd reinvented yourself to some extent? And how were things with your friends after that? Well, i realise you say ex-friends so that answers the question in a way, but did any of them ever speak to you about what happened?

Reactions: Ntuitive

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
INFJs tend to take everything personally. INFJs have such a personal view on everything and everyone it's sometimes difficult not to.
INFJs can often overestimate how much control they actually have on external factors.
SO when things go wrong.. INFJs take it personally and since they might believe they have more control of things than they do.. They can tighten their grip on things in a vain effort to fix things and avoid the feelings of guilt, failure and ineptitude that can follow.
INFJs have difficulty with perceived failures.
INFJs then tend to, as any type, slip into shadow.
They cannot find comfort in exterior world and lack faith and security within themselves.
They feel isolated, alone, and unable to trust their own perceptions.
Things can then get paranoid and maniacal.

·
Registered
245 Posts
INFJs tend to take everything personally. INFJs have such a personal view on everything and everyone it's sometimes difficult not to.
INFJs can often overestimate how much control they actually have on external factors.
SO when things go wrong.. INFJs take it personally and since they might believe they have more control of things than they do.. They can tighten their grip on things in a vain effort to fix things and avoid the feelings of guilt, failure and ineptitude that can follow.
INFJs have difficulty with perceived failures.
INFJs then tend to, as any type, slip into shadow.
They cannot find comfort in exterior world and lack faith and security within themselves.
They feel isolated, alone, and unable to trust their own perceptions.
Things can then get paranoid and maniacal.
Funny you should mention the above items. My friends are always telling me to stop carrying the worlds issues on my shoulders but I can't help it sometimes.. O.O'' As much as I dislike people at times, if someone asks for my help I will drop it all to do what I can. And it really starts to suck when I realize I may not be able to help at all. It's then I start to consider my own "personal failures" (not being able to help those in my small part of the mudball being one of them) and then the roller coaster games begin. Normally I can find a release for it all and relax. I'll disappear for a few days, go for a drive, read, or just simply shoot everything I see in HALO. There are those times where I just can't seem to shake my own inability to forget my own issues and it's in those moments where I will close up for a bit. After a while I come out of my little bubble of solace and get on with my life...Unless the bubble of solace backfires...That would be the breakdown.. But as I get older and gain experience in this odd game of life, I get better at letting things go. Hmmm... Definitely time to get off my confession soapbox.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I've met INFJs who didn't have mental breakdowns per se, but have become so jaded that they've allowed their cynicism to color their entire worldview. Their shells harden and they live just to avoid pain. Mental disturbance doesn't necessarily have to be dramatic or immediate. When someone's life grinds against them for long enough, the end result can be the same with a whimper and not a bang.
That would be how I 'lose it' thankfully right now though I am not in a situation that bad. I've never went completely mental and lost it with people or whatever even during some pretty stressful situations in my life. I doubt I ever would, unless it was something seriously very bad that was happening to me or others. I am quite tough though and have a tight reign over my emotions and self control.

N yeah I do feel sorry for that guy sounds like it was just all the stress criticism and publicity that got to him.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Your story made me laugh - Sorry! Yep, i've encoutered this, the water keeps rising and rising and there's nothing you can do about it!!!
LOL, "there's nothing you can do about it" lol.... and then you think maybe flushing just 1 more time will help, then it makes it worse, and by that time you're doomed. Sometimes it doesn't overflow. But when it does overflow, wherever you are, just leave. Someone notices it and tries to fix it, by that time no one is aware you've left. It just occurred to me that causing a toilet to overflow might be a secret strategy to leaving places you don't want to be. Either as a statement, or as a distraction.

Hypothetical situation:

Me: Where is your restroom?
Terrible host: It's over there, but I'll need a few dollars for the water bill.
Me: Oh ok.

(5 minutes later sounds of water flowing from the bathroom, the front door softly closing, then the sounds of feet quickly shuffling through the grass in the front yard, the engine starting, then the tires screeching. Cell phone ringing over and over again but ignoring all the calls. Throwing the cell phone out the window. Getting home. Lying in bed staring at the ceiling in the darkness while trying to go to sleep but replaying the situation over and over in my head.) I'm prepared now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Poor Russell! D:
Hopefully the guy has a speedy mental recovery. It's no fun to mentally crack in such a way.

I've had mental breakdowns before......
but going crazy and becoming mentally disturbed? Nah. Not my style. More of a cry it out / mope in bed / seek a temporary counselor to talk to sort of person until it all gets under control / back to a sense of normal / until I realize it's not the end of the world etc.......

I've also had anxiety attacks, but those are a different story. -_-

Reactions: Zech

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh, my... this is one of my recurring nightmares, only I am walking into a large (very large -- like a fancy locker room) bathroom, and every single stall has a completely overflowing commode, LOL. It's very frustrating. I don't usually run away, though -- just wake up.

I would imagine that happened more than once to your friend's family, since it was their own bathroom. Must have been pretty traumatic (in that childhood way) for you at the time! :( I keep a plunger nearby to our toilet, in case anyone ever needs it. We have ancient plumbing here.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
since I flooded my kitchen, water out of the wand, from above etc. became one of my fav. nightmares :'X

Reactions: Ntuitive

·
Registered
57 Posts
lol.

I've had similar nightmares. Sometimes you have to act out your nightmares, see the humorous aspects to them, make a video recording of them, dance around in the shame like a monkey or a bollywood superstar, and then just smile with the knowledge that those nightmares will never be able to get close to you again.

:kitteh:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, my... this is one of my recurring nightmares, only I am walking into a large (very large -- like a fancy locker room) bathroom, and every single stall has a completely overflowing commode, LOL. It's very frustrating. I don't usually run away, though -- just wake up.

I would imagine that happened more than once to your friend's family, since it was their own bathroom. Must have been pretty traumatic (in that childhood way) for you at the time! :( I keep a plunger nearby to our toilet, in case anyone ever needs it. We have ancient plumbing here.
You're hilarious. recurring nightmare of this?? haha. What has become of this thread? Traumatic flooding. I always have recurring dreams of tornadoes. Have you ever gotten a swirly?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts