Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your experience with social networking? What are you favorite websites? What are the best/worst things about social media?

I have had my Facebook deactivated for three months, and yesterday, I deleted my account (my third time deleting). Although I will eventually remake an account, I am exhausted by the website. Ultimately, I think it is unhealthy for me to scroll through my feed and feel a combination of loneliness and anxiety. I am sure most people would not care, but it is frustrating when I take 30 minutes to write an elaborate comment on someone’s photo or status, and the individual responds with a “like.” My INFP friend also has “social media anxiety,” and we both prefer Tumblr because it is more of a pseudo-social mood board.

I want to know your thoughts!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hmm...well...
I'm not much of a normal social media person. I'm a bit insecure, which it may stem from that. I just feel like its an impersonal way to talk to others you know, and often times it is a fake representation of who you really are (which is mainly why they upset me.)
I do like Tumble on occasion, although I find a lot of the people on their are very attention-seeking. Then again, being an INFJ I tend to read every human action in excess and maybe I should take social media more lightly, haha.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I've signed up for facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat...and then abandoned them. I'll get excited at first, but eventually they become exhausting. Plus I hate wasting my time looking at things that don't interest me or talking to people I don't really feel like talking to.

Now I still have my Pinterest and love it. The combination of being such a visual medium and hoarding in a way that doesn't take up space or cost me money is kind of fun. Nor is it that social :happy:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I pretty much despise most social media. Social media is the perfect thing to preoccupy vapid, self-absorbed people who are fixated solely on stroking their own ego. At least that seems to be the norm for social media given that those kinds of people ARE the norm.

Social media is also a poor form of discourse. Especially when some sites like the twitter actually put limits on real conversation. I think there is a 100 character limit. That stifles any kind of real thought, and instead you just have people spewing things without listening to anyone but themselves.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I'm basically obsessed with reddit as I'm on there all the time (check it out if you haven't, intimidating at first though). Outside of perc though, I just use a few financial / investment related forums.

My Facebook is the perfect combination of meeting your bf/gfs parents for the first time and a resume for a job posting. With all sorts of family members (+ extended) adding me and when I was job hunting in the past, it's really just become all for show and looking like an upstanding individual. I even added a couple hundred fake friends during that job search because I was worried about appearing too antisocial to prospective employers. Aside from that, I can't really stand the type of content most people post on Facebook as it's either duck face photos, baby pictures, something about politics or religion, perma PMS moods, etc. I removed one of my lady friends on there because she was always posting stuff like "EATING ICE CREAM WITH SUSAN AT _____________." Long story short, I don't actively use or care for it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pretty much despise most social media. Social media is the perfect thing to preoccupy vapid, self-absorbed people who are fixated solely on stroking their own ego. At least that seems to be the norm for social media given that those kinds of people ARE the norm.

Social media is also a poor form of discourse. Especially when some sites like the twitter actually put limits on real conversation. I think there is a 100 character limit. That stifles any kind of real thought, and instead you just have people spewing things without listening to anyone but themselves.
I did not mean for this thread to be an attack on other people who enjoy social networks. I know that a lot of us uncomfortable with it, but I do not think all FB or Twitter users are vapid. I really enjoyed posting my music collection on there, and discussing ideas with people who had similar passions.

I am sensing a theme…
it seems that there is this assumption that people who use social media are not being authentic. I think that is unfair to my friends who use social networking to promote causes they care about. They are using these platforms to help people, animals, the environment, etc. Although we may not be comfortable with this style of communication, it does happen to be the easiest way to reach a large audience.

I see where you are coming from with the self-obsession, but most people who post online have a narcissistic side (yes, even on this forum). I mean, we are on a site where we are “discovering ourselves.”
:wink:

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I dislike chit chat or small talk. This extends to social media. I don't have any account except LinkedIn. Actually I don't need it because I will retire from my current job therefore no need to network, prepping for the next job.

PerC is all I do to mingle with ppl purely on line based. It's topic oriented and discussion/sharing based. I don't care if I get 'likes' or not. I am not concerned if my statement is challenged. It's just a good place to express and to read intelligent opinions.

As for chat apps, I use LINE. When I am out of country I can keep in touch if there's wifi. It's convenient and safe. I can't just download a chat app for no good reason. This 'must have deeper meaning' train of thought at doing anything is both frustrating and wonderful to me personally.

Frustrating because I think long and hard before adding any app or joining a platform.

Wonderful because once I am at peace with it, I don't feel manipulated by the system but having the system work for MY BENEFIT.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,444 Posts
I use Facebook like a resume in case someone googles me, but otherwise, I just ignore it.

It often felt like an exercise in "look at me!" and that's just not how I operate. Not with the kinds of things that go on Facebook anyway; I've been known to be that way with my stories and artwork! :tongue:

I like forums because somehow the formatting makes it more conducive to get to know each other and have real conversations. Or maybe it's just what I'm used to. I like MMOs best of all for online interaction, because you get to know a person by more than just their words, but also how they conduct themselves as part of a team or when competitive, not to mention all the stuff people get up to if they're roleplayers...

The above two methods were practically my only method of socializing for the years I had social phobia, and helped me a lot through that. But Facebook and the others just never really caught on to me.

I know businesses like it because it's apparently a great advertising tool. Some of me wonders if they're getting who they really want to get, though, considering Facebook culture...

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Personally I have FB since it allows me to keep connected to many friends and acquaintances. I was born in another country and then emmigrated, so it's curious to see how my childhood peers or other friends who I've met later but also emmigrated are going.
Also, since adult life does not give me much solitary time (something that I need to recahrge), it makes it harder to hang out with friends.

For professional purposes, I have LinkedIn, Twitter and a blog.

I also have a DeviantArt page, but I haven't been drawing as much as I liked to. :( Now I just barely have energy to externalize my Ni world, so all the stuffs manifests inside lol.

Thought I'm not really very present at these social medias. I check updates from a few friends, post a photo from time to time, and that's it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Well, the funny thing is... And I keep mentioning this every time when talking about this, just to give my point of view.
I haven been, and still am much into electronics, computers, etc.
In year 2000 when I was 15~ I had my own personal website/blog, there were flash games, live webcam of me, blog, guestbook, gallery, Friends list complete with pictures, names, nicknames, etc. Many others I knew and chattede with had this too. (celeberties in our own universe :p?)
It was sort of the thing befor facebook. Along with ICQ, messenger, and all those other.

It took me a long time befor I joined facebook, in a way I was fed up already while it was new for others, also there were alot of past friends and events I sort of was trying to forget and escape.
But I eventually joined up.
I came to experience some of the same stuff I had with my website. "Why am I not on your friend list?".(which sometimes can feel like, "do you hate me?", "Dont you like me?"... Tho, there were certainly also those who were into being popular, and it felt more like they just needed to be there.)

What put me off the most about facebook, was the wall. The open discussion, and now it was not so much stranger but everyone that was the closet to me, many which I already knew. (facebook is not so great for meeting new people)
In a way I think the wall can be compared to a talkshow, it can be very on stage. And if your not so good at being on a stage or taking the stand, it can be a problem.

I agree in that.. Yes, social media brought us together, but also apart.

I agree in that old people might actually handle social media better, they already formed an identity. (this I read somewhere, and it makes sense to me)

I think there is a problem in that... Ordinarily we would more or less lose contact pretty fast if we did not keep in touch, but now they are just a few clicks away. Now we can also plan something more easily, I wont deny that.
But I have often thought to myself, for how long?. Am I going to be on this site when I am 80years old?, 2066.
Is my niece going to get facebook, be friends with her mom on facebook, and then look at all the baby photos, comments, etc`?.
Somehow I doudt that tho, because children or newer generations seldom fully like what the older generation liked.
There might already be an sort of anti-movement.

Sometimes it feels like you cant ever escape, not that I dont like people.

The joy of telling, asking, or showing where you been or what you done can sometimes feel lost. Often just, "Did you see", "Why did you not read", "Dont you follow" ... Tho, it can often lead into a discussion, which is good, it just feels.....

I have often caught myself in thinking about facebook befor I take a picture. So the joy is not so much of the picture, or a personal thing, it is not a dear memory, something you want to remeber, or otherwise.
(but this is perhaps a more general thing with pictures... very subjective.. eye of the beholder.. also wanting to show. And now with digital we can shoot thousands of pictures).
I might drive all the way to the beach, take a picture, almost instantly drive home, plug in, facebook.
Then maybe worry a little if a get likes, etc..

There are many many quarrels to be made on facebook, there are statistically many divorces stemming from it.
I have felt jealous at times reading comments or other.
Some has also clearly been pushing it, showing off, etc. (+ then perhaps belittlement, contempt, devaluement, ignore... if you ever tried that, then you wont easily forget )
There has perhaps been someone who I liked, and who liked me, who read comments made by others on my site, which led them to believe things.

I dont know if it is a gift or a curse.

You can easily get into contact.
If you have problems it might be a great support (or oppesit)

Many say it is about managing it, or using it the right way with the right approach.
And id agree to some degree.

But managment... I am not all that fond of that. Have you tried when somebody deletes your comments on their site?, but still wants to be friends. And I am not talking bad comments.
I have also deleted comments sometimes, but they are also someone I wont remain friends with 98% of the time.

My view may be colored by some bad experiences and such. + Very facebook centered.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well, I kind of struggle with them as well. I have a facebook, twitter, instagram, tumblr account.

I have deactivated facebook like 5 times, and then re-activate them. My excuse is that my college mates create groups to do assignments, share information, etc. I keep it active only because of that. I don't upload states and my chat stays offline the majority of time. So, well... Anyhow, I feel this void of shallowness everytime I "use" it.. So better avoid it.

Twitter. I used to use to stay in touch with the reality of my country; till one day I had a nervous crisis, and I deactivated the account. Right now is open, but I unfollow several people,and I try to keep my focus of attention in accounts with useful information (No news)

My Tumblr is active. Though I don't consider it a social network since we don't talk directly with anybody :D (and perhaps is why I like it the most)

And finally, instagram. Another love-hate. I love sharing images and looking others' but some days it feels so shallow... My account is still active, but I deleted it from my cellphone :D

In conclusion, I don't like them completely. I feel they show our lack of connectivity in the real world and its people. Many people create a alter-ego in them, or used them to avoid a real conversation. As a "friend" told me: "You must admit is easier talking about feelings here" (...)

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I have a Facebook account but barely ever use it. If it wasn't for the group chat with my close friends I'd deactivate it completely. I don't use my real name because there's a whole crazy side of the family that might try to contact me through it. There's no point in me using it to impress employers either because I have the same name as a famous person. I imagine I don't even show up on the first 1,000 pages of results on Google. :tongue:

The majority of my social networking activity stopped when I discovered Reddit. So basically, Reddit and this website are what I mainly use. I have a Twitter linked in my signature too. Follow me if you like, I never tweet anything. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Social networking I'm opening myself up to. Real networking that is. Relationships can't be born in cyberspace, I find much better connections when I meet and interact with people in person.

As an INFJ, it seems like such a waste to spend my energy and feelings on a computer screen when I could be making some real connections in person, where the energy is crisp and warm.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I'm a bit addicted to Facebook, unfortunately.

I work from home and use it to promote my work (I'm a writer) and my causes (libertarian things).

Twitter? Yep, I have that too, but I don't use it much.

Reactions: heart of chambers

·
SAY MY NAME
8,470 Posts
I don't use Facebook, or visit that website at all anymore. This is because I refuse to sell my private data to Facebook, the subsequent sale of which, is what makes Mark Zuckerburg a billionaire. This idea that Facebook is a free service, a great thing that brings people together, is a lie. You pay for it through the nose with every click, through the money made by selling your information. So the reality is that Facebook is a product, which you purchase unknowingly by patronising the website. As with the purchase of all products, the question then comes to this: is the quality of the product such as to justify the price being paid? And with Facebook - it's just an ocean of fakeness and superficiality, the hyperextension of the hyperreal persona - I feel no price is worth paying, let alone my own private data, which I value much higher than the number of useful, good things about Facebook, of which there are hardly any.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts