Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm. Some people think it's bull, some people view it as an amazing tool. INFJs, what do you think of it? Since the majority of INFJs are 1, 2, 4 and 9s, I'd like to see the input. How long have you've known about enneagram? Do you use it in real life? What do you to know more about it?

Basically, this could be the INFJ enneagram discussion thread.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've taken it once or twice, and I'm always split almost evenly between three numbers.

So I don't really follow it. Mostly cause I don't know what the heck 'number' I am.

I think all personality tests should be taken with a grain of salt though. You are more than a type, number, or letter. When push comes to shove, you can do whatever the heck you like - personality tests be damned :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've been disappointed in the enneagram. Whereas the description of INFJ definitely applies to me, multiple of the enneagram descriptions sound kind of like me, but all of them have big exceptions. Discovering I'm an INFJ has really given me a different way to think about myself in relation to other people, whereas my enneagram type is too generic to be of much use.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The enneagram gets to the root of my issues more than mbti, it is actually the most painfully honest psychological "diagnosis" I have ever related to. It talks about a fundamental, spiritual lack of connection which is driving almost everything I do, so I found it to provide deeper insight on motivation and misguidings of the ego. I can see how solutions provided from both systems can be interchangeable, but enneagram seems to emphasise how our motivations are actually self-defeating defenses from attaining a greater sense of self-liberation, which couldn't be any truer in my situation.

The INFJ description seems to gloss over how we're so empathetic and compassionate bc we want to help the world.. but I'm actually quite self-centred for an INFJ, and finding out I'm a four helped me realise why :/ I feel like INFJ is a more general description of my personality, and enneagram subtypes describe those finer distinctions between why we can't always relate to people of the same type.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just learned about the enneagram last 2 weeks ago because I saw some other INFJs reference it.

As for what I think about it, by itself, the enneagram only describes a fraction of my character unlike the description of an INFJ. I would say the enneagram has its uses but only as a complementary tool.

Reactions: SarahWilliams

·
Registered
402 Posts
The enneagram gets to the root of my issues more than mbti, it is actually the most painfully honest psychological "diagnosis" I have ever related to. It talks about a fundamental, spiritual lack of connection which is driving almost everything I do, so I found it to provide deeper insight on motivation and misguidings of the ego. Mbti is probably better at describing how such issues are manifested through behaviour and the cognitive processes, while enneagram gives me more clarity on the why. I can see how solutions provided from both systems can be interchangeable, but enneagram seems to emphasise how our motivations are actually defenses from attaining a greater sense of self-liberation, which couldn't be any truer in my situation.

The INFJ description seems to gloss over how we're so empathetic and compassionate bc we want to help the world.. but I'm actually quite self-centred for an INFJ, and finding out I'm a four helped me realise why :/ I feel like INFJ is a more general description of my personality, and enneagram subtypes describe those finer distinctions between why we can't always relate to people of the same type.

Same with me!!
The main types can be divided by the order of cognitive functions, and then they can be divided even more from there.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I get split results between three numbers as well and don't understand why my main number cannot branch into those other numbers, but instead has to branch into some nearby numbers that don't even describe me :p

I guess it sort of let me connect a few characteristics of my personality together than I never knew were connected. And also point out possible causes for problems in my relationships. MBTI was way more helpful though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Reactions: Vonlenska

·
Registered
428 Posts
Why thank you! You've been awfully helpful today btw. Thank you. :happy:
Since you appreciate it, it has been worth it. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I don't like to limit things to one idea so each theory gives you more insight about the subject. The enneagram gives information about how you deal with life, motivations, and how you express who you really are if we assume that the MBTI is one that expresses that.

I didn't take a test to know that I'm type 1. The more you read about the types the easier it is to differentiate between them and you are able to figure out which type you are. I like that it gives versions of the same types whether healthy, average or unhealthy. It is also a theory that expands which gives it more room to develop things.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is what the enneagram is about. Here is the test.
Why thank you! You've been awfully helpful today btw. Thank you. :happy:
I would actually suggest reading through descriptions of the enneagram types rather than take a test. It'll be more accurate since you're self reflecting and you know WHO you are rather than a simple test.
Once you do figure out your type( by reading the descriptions on the forums or rather different ones on the internet), the enneagram will get in deeper with the triads, subtypes and etc.

For example:

These links will go into little detail over it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The enneagram gets to the root of my issues more than mbti, it is actually the most painfully honest psychological "diagnosis" I have ever related to. It talks about a fundamental, spiritual lack of connection which is driving almost everything I do, so I found it to provide deeper insight on motivation and misguidings of the ego. I can see how solutions provided from both systems can be interchangeable, but enneagram seems to emphasise how our motivations are actually self-defeating defenses from attaining a greater sense of self-liberation, which couldn't be any truer in my situation.

I find this true as well. I like the enneagram because it deals with motivation and the roots of our psyche, which is really important. I appreciate the intricacy and many different levels and layers on the enneagram. I like how there are wings, subtypes and levels of health. I especially appreciate levels of health because it shows how people of each type can range from being so inspiring to so destructive and neurotic. Thus there are no 'bad' types or 'bad' people; just healthy, average and unhealthy people. Understanding enneagram types and levels of health makes it easier to be more understanding and empathetic of those who are acting out, at least it does for me. We all have the potential in us to be brilliant and to have amazing contributions and to reach the higher end of health, so even if we are in a low place, I don't see anyone as hopeless, or any type as hopeless.

I do like using mbti and the enneagram together like you describe, even though I don't think there always has to be a correlation. I feel selfish for an INFJ but selfless for a 4. It's odd.

I also really appreciate the focus on bettering yourself and on personal growth that is in the Enneagram and I appreciate the sometimes painful honesty for that reason

1 - 14 of 14 Posts