Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been brought up before, but I'm interested to know if you believe horoscopes are accurate or not.

I'll say right now that I do love to imagine there's a bit of fantasy to life, sometimes in the form of superstition or not. But I can't really commit to the idea that something like zodiacs are actually accurate. INFJs probably have a bit of a stereotype that we'd believe in everything spiritual but for me there definitely has to be an element of logic - I can't just blindly accept superstition. Discovering your identity is pretty addictive, but it's theories like MBTI (involving some basis on psychology or logic) that are much more up my street.

But I don't know, what about the rest of you? :unsure:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any Taurus INFJs out there? I guess there has to be, but... who knows.

I am a Pisces, and before I knew MBTI that was my only guide for who I was. It spoke to me much like INFJ speaks to me now. Just less detailed. I know not all Pisces are like this, however, so it was more for just resonating with the things that spoke to me - in my case, pretty much all of the stereotypes of Pisces.

It's not that I believe in it so much as I notice the pattern. When it says I am a water sign, and that I'm compatible with other water signs, and then I find out the person in my relationship ends up being a Cancer water sign, it is interesting to see the pattern. And to see the way things are rough around certain other signs. So for pattern recognition, it has some validity, depending on who you are I suppose. I wish I could say I found a Pisces who I didn't get along with, or another water sign who was incompatible as a friend, but it seems to hold true. Others I know rub the wrong way, and then I find out they are a certain other zodiac, and well, that doesn't say much. It's just another piece of the pattern.

As far as logic, there is quite a lot of logic behind it. The unfortunate reality is that a lot of that logic is clouded in the modern era. However, for thousands of years, our ancestors had literally nothing to do at night except look at the stars. They noticed patterns, and applied those patterns to the real world. This is the logic behind it - that logic is lost. Some things, like "vedic astrology" have been kept fresh in the minds of people over time. My mom was pretty big on that for a while, and her insights into me were spot on. There is probably some truths to zodiac; after all, if we're contemplating the significance of some random minor event in our own life and how that one tiny event fits into the scale of our entire life and all existence as a whole, surely those before us were able to do the same and find some patterns after spending literally all their night time analyzing the stars.

So zodiac, horoscope, astrology - these are things I'd imagine past INFJs spent a lot of time on. INFJs probably created these ideas. I cannot see any other type fitting together those pieces into the real world. The past mystics and shaman who longed for connection, looking upward, found patterns. It would have to have been an introvert doing this, creating this system, correct? No extrovert is staring at the stars for years on end (before it made you money!). And which introvert is the least practical and the most focused on the overarching system and pattern? INFJ.

I'm really only coming to this conclusion in writing this, just letting it all flow. But it makes sense to me. The modern horoscope stuff is pretty flat - still useful. As a Pisces man, I'm intrigued by the possibility of a Scorpio woman, who is also a water sign. I had no idea; I didn't pay much attention to it all, but now that I have actual proof that these patterns matter - MBTI is the proof that there are patterns to personality, as I didn't know anyone was like me until just over 4 weeks ago - I'm able to look on these things with more of an open mind. I have to respect the past INFJs crafting these ideas, and to just go with it. I'm not going to brush it off like others do, or say it is irrelevant. Sure, you can give the same horoscope reading to 100 people and most of them will agree it was about them. But that's everyone at any time - we all possess all the cognitive functions, it just matters our dominant trait. So, I act like any type depending on the moment, but where I'm comfortable most and where I can spend all day is in being INFJ. Likewise, we can all seem like any zodiac type any day of the week, but who we are inside at our core might relate much to our actual birth sign.

I don't know for sure, but I'm less closed off to the idea now than ever before. Again, my mom's insights with vedic astrology years ago were strong, too hard to ignore - that form of astrology is said to be very accurate. I don't know, I was only the receiver of bits of information from her, I never dove into it myself. Now seeing other patterns - MBTI and Enneagram and so on, I'm more open to zodiac and astrology and so on because before we had these easy to digest systems, humans probably saw the same patterns in people, and found they applied to more, far external influences than just how we are raised from birth.

The main take away is it is fun I suppose. MBTI is definitely more in line with active reality; in my short time typing everyone and getting all my friends to tell me their type, I'm learning so much and everything makes so much sense now. It's not as vague. But still, why not consider and intuit and think about what truths are in the zodiac signs? For example, as Pisces ruminating on a Scorpio woman, it's fun to imagine the fire and passion that could stem from such a relationship. So why not let it help focus your fun thoughts? I see no issue there.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
When reading the comics in the paper I also read the neighboring one to two sentence daily horoscope because it's there and amusing and they typically offer some decent little piece of general advice to consider, but beyond that, I pay pretty much no attention to it and don't believe there's anything real about it.

But frankly a little like personality types, those things give us some guidance here and there and can at least be entertaining. So as long as one takes them with a grain of salt, why not enjoy what extra layer of interest they can add to life if one wants?

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
I don't put much stock into horoscopes just based on your Sun sign, cuz a person is not just their Sun sign. That's also part of the reason why I used to think Astrology was bullshit even though I do happen to identify with my Sun sign which is Pisces. Looking up my full birth chart and those of people I'm close to (seeing what it said about our compatibility) was enlightening. It gives you a much more in depth picture of the person. I also found most things spot on. Like, if I had a natural great connection with someone and then I looked up our compatibility chart later, for every single person I've had a major relationship with, it said it will most likely be a significant relationship. It also highlighted the positive and negative elements about major relationships I've had that wound up being scary accurate. I seem to naturally attract and am attracted to people with their Sun, Moon (or both) in Pisces without realizing that's what they are. There's just a similar energy about them all that I feel/recognize. Anyway, it's not a perfect Science or anything but I'm a believer. I do believe the cosmos has an effect on all of us whether we realize it or not. I guess in modern times we are rather disconnected from that though since we spend most of the time indoors, disconnected from nature.

·
Registered
ESTP 7w6 so/sx
88 Posts
Zodiac is pretty interesting. I feel zodiac is kind of like MBTI (don't kill me yet, let me explain first haha!) Just like MBTI, everyone's a winner. You get to be special in your own way. You might even feel a spiritual connection. I don't have anything against zodiac, especially since it can be empowering in people. It can make people who wouldn't be friends originally feel an instant connection between each other. People who would otherwise have no ambition in their lives commit themselves to the beliefs of the zodiac, which aren't inherently bad.

Good things about zodiac:
- Because of zodiac, two people who have almost nothing in relation to each other can feel an instant connection if they have the same zodiac.
- Because of zodiac, people can feel more confident in themselves.

You can probably see how zodiac is kind of like a religion. Even though I personally don't believe in it (logical Ti might have a part in that), I respect it like I respect someone's religion. Like all religions, there are extremists. However the zodiac extremists aren't all that bad, just a bit harder to understand for people like me. I guess some people do discriminate based on zodiac, but people will find a way to hate on people if they want to. Even if zodiac didn't exist, people who want to find wrong in others would still find wrong in others.

(I myself am an Aries.)

·
Banned
2,375 Posts
Heard this one INFJ say that Taurus sun, Capricorn moon, and Leo rising men are the best

Idk why, but yeah I'd trust that one

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Reactions: NIHM

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Mom's boyfriend is a professional astrologer. He mapped out my stars and it was completely inaccurate to my personality. He judges me based on his reading and I confuse him since I don't match his readings on my personality.

I took multiple 'I can guess your sign' test and they were never accurate.

However, for some of my friends it seems accurate. So in my opinion, I don't see much weight to it in myself. It might work for others though. But hey, a broken clock is accurate twice a day.

I get a bit annoyed when people compare MBTI to horoscopes. There is a huge logical flaw in that comparison. People are born with their horoscope; people are assessed by MBTI but only if The assessor fully understand cognitive functions.

However, to refute my skepticism, my boyfriend and I are supposed to be the compatible horoscope types. But then again he's an ENTP.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I am definitely in to astrology, it's more than your sun sign. It's your moon sign, rising sign, venus sign, mars sign, etc.

The stars are a reflection of who we are, Just another way to see yourself.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Apologies if this has been brought up before, but I'm interested to know if you believe horoscopes are accurate or not.

I'll say right now that I do love to imagine there's a bit of fantasy to life, sometimes in the form of superstition or not. But I can't really commit to the idea that something like zodiacs are actually accurate. INFJs probably have a bit of a stereotype that we'd believe in everything spiritual but for me there definitely has to be an element of logic - I can't just blindly accept superstition. Discovering your identity is pretty addictive, but it's theories like MBTI (involving some basis on psychology or logic) that are much more up my street.

But I don't know, what about the rest of you? :unsure:
I think they are completly made up and people only like them because of the Barnum Effect.

It is no different from: pick your favourite color, and then - this is your personality. The point is that your favourite color has nothing to do with it.

For example, I make a personality tests and here are the ressult:
Type 1:
Strengths: Progressive, Original, Independent, Humanitarian.
Weakensses: Temperamental, Uncompromising, Aloof.
Hates: Limitations, broken promises.
Type 2:
Strengths: Compassionate, Artistic, Inutitive, Gentle, Wise.
Weakensses: Fearful, Overly trusting, Sad, desire to escape reality.
Hates: Know-it-all, being criticized.
Type 3:
Strengths: Creative, Passionate, Generous, Warm-hearted, Cheerful.
Weakensses: Arrogant, Stubborn, Self-centered, Lazy, Inflexible.
Hates: Being ignored, facing difficult reality.

No matter what type you are, you will always relate with type 1, 2 and 3 a bit. And the worst part about it is that if you start to internalize it and say "this is who I am" then you will adopt the weaknesses as well because you will stop justifying yourself for them or trying to avoid them, since you tell yourself that this is who you are. Like, a Scorpio is supposed to be stubborn, naturally, if you think you are too stubborn you will stop yourself, but not because you are a Scorpio and think it's normal to be stubborn for this is who you are, you won't stop yourself. While the strengths don't work like that. You may think you're wise, generous or independent. But that won't make you more of that thing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am an ardent believer of astrology and love being a student learning vedic astrology, I believe horoscopes are an accurate depiction of Who we are, what we are, Why we are, What are we destined to achieve, our strengths, weaknesses and so on. I don't know if Astrology is science or superstition, as for me I believe in Astrology and I have every reason to believe in it for it perfectly outlines my life path, along with the progression in spiritual dimension(Soul).

I will discuss about the zodiacs in another thread.

I do free consultation to anyone who needs help.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
2,939 Posts
I am an ardent believer of astrology and love being a student learning vedic astrology, I believe horoscopes are an accurate depiction of Who we are, what we are, Why we are, What are we destined to achieve, our strengths, weaknesses and so on. I don't know if Astrology is science or superstition, as for me I believe in Astrology and I have every reason to believe in it for it perfectly outlines my life path, along with the progression in spiritual dimension(Soul).

I will discuss about the zodiacs in another thread.

I do free consultation to anyone who needs help.
Nice, I know a bit about vedic astrology too (I like it more than western pop astrology).

You don't have to do this but could I test your astrological interpretive skills on what you'd say about my natal chart? (I'm curious if you'd see INFJ-like characteristics)

"As" is Ascendant
For those who don't know vedic, Rahu ("Ra") is the Moon's North Node in western, Ketu ("Ke") is the South Node.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice, I know a bit about vedic astrology too (I like it more than western pop astrology).

You don't have to do this but could I test your astrological interpretive skills on what you'd say about my natal chart? (I'm curious if you'd see INFJ-like characteristics)

View attachment 865654

"As" is Ascendant
For those who don't know vedic, Rahu ("Ra") is the Moon's North Node in western, Ketu ("Ke") is the South Node.
I am happy to know that you know a but about vedic astrology.

I don't like anyone testing my astrological interpretive skills, for I don't just feel the need to prove it.

I would definitely help someone, who needs help facing difficulty, provided the reason is genuine enough for me, not certainly for Comparing or Proving. You are free to
assume whatever, but I appreciate and honor People who are really humble, down to earth, open to others feedback, Agreeing to disagree, I don't mind sharing my knowledge
with them. In your case you said, you already know vedic astrology, then why would you like me to comment or test my astrological interpretive skills.

I have written in brief about INFJ characteristics with my possible zodiac combinations in another thread, and I think that should be enough for you to judge my astrological skills, if judging my skills is your only motive.

What starts with testing someone else's skills, ends up comparing their skills to someone else, eventually judging them out, all of which of them are Wrong in my perspective.

My apologies if you feel offended, but I expect some minimal, honest, and genuine etiquette before people approach.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
2,939 Posts
I am happy to know that you know a but about vedic astrology.

I don't like anyone testing my astrological interpretive skills, for I don't just feel the need to prove it.

I would definitely help someone, who needs help facing difficulty, provided the reason is genuine enough for me, not certainly for Comparing or Proving. You are free to
assume whatever, but I appreciate and honor People who are really humble, down to earth, open to others feedback, Agreeing to disagree, I don't mind sharing my knowledge
with them. In your case you said, you already know vedic astrology, then why would you like me to comment or test my astrological interpretive skills.

I have written in brief about INFJ characteristics with my possible zodiac combinations in another thread, and I think that should be enough for you to judge my astrological skills, if judging my skills is your only motive.

What starts with testing someone else's skills, ends up comparing their skills to someone else, eventually judging them out, all of which of them are Wrong in my perspective.

My apologies if you feel offended, but I expect some minimal, honest, and genuine etiquette before people approach.
That's fine because I wasn't expecting you to prove something that's interpretative and abstract. I just figured anyone who likes astrology enjoys doing these kind of analytical exercises, you did say you do consultations.

If I had much of a motive, it wasn't to judge, it was more out of curiosity to perceive any new insights.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's fine because I wasn't expecting you to prove something that's interpretative and abstract. I just figured anyone who likes astrology enjoys doing these kind of analytical exercises, you did say you do consultations.

If I had much of a motive, it wasn't to judge, it was more out of curiosity to perceive any new insights.
Correct, I said I do consultation and spend my valuable time, energy to people who really needs my HELP, and not certainly as out of CURIOSITY to test my knowledge or interpretation skills.

There are people who are curious to know what's in store for them, but what happens with them is that many(If not all) happen to have some prior knowledge of it, I don't have any objections to it, but the fact is everyone have their own way of recognizing, identifying and analyzing charts. I don't analyze charts unless I feel the reason is genuine enough for me to, and unless I feel comfortable that the person will accept things in positive way. You see I can do it for fun also, but I have some respect for what I do, and I expect some seriousness from the person who is requesting it.

If at all I am curious to know something from someone who I believe knows more than me, I will be humble enough to admit the fact that I don't know, and I don't mind gaining new perspectives/insights from that person, and see how I can use his knowledge to complement mine - Well if that was me, didn't mean to offend again, as your motive was not to judge.

I believe Curiosity is not at the expense of testing someone's skills or knowledge, and I really appreciate if your motive wasn't to judge.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
2,939 Posts
Correct, I said I do consultation and spend my valuable time, energy to people who really needs my HELP, and not certainly as out of CURIOSITY to test my knowledge or interpretation skills.

There are people who are curious to know what's in store for them, but what happens with them is that many(If not all) happen to have some prior knowledge of it, I don't have any objections to it, but the fact is everyone have their own way of recognizing, identifying and analyzing charts. I don't analyze charts unless I feel the reason is genuine enough for me to, and unless I feel comfortable that the person will accept things in positive way. You see I can do it for fun also, but I have some respect for what I do, and I expect some seriousness from the person who is requesting it.

If at all I am curious to know something from someone who I believe knows more than me, I will be humble enough to admit the fact that I don't know, and I don't mind gaining new perspectives/insights from that person, and see how I can use his knowledge to complement mine - Well if that was me, didn't mean to offend again, as your motive was not to judge.

I believe Curiosity is not at the expense of testing someone's skills or knowledge, and I really appreciate if your motive wasn't to judge.
I was being serious with my request. But as I said, you don't have to do it if you don't want to. I don't need some overblown argument.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was being serious with my request. But as I said, you don't have to do it if you don't want to. I don't need some overblown argument.
You have your right claim of being serious, which I cannot consider it to be serious due to reasons stated already, and definitely not looking forward to build any arguments. Let us keep our perspectives to ourselves.

Peace Out !!

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
2,939 Posts
You have your right claim of being serious, which I cannot consider it to be serious due to reasons stated already, and definitely not looking forward to build any arguments. Let us keep our perspectives to ourselves.

Peace Out !!
You don't consider me serious because you assume a person can't be both serious and curious at the same time? Sorry but I don't view my own interests flippantly.
I want to learn from others because I'm serious enough in my curiosity, to where I care about asking for other's perspective, especially if one claims to have knowledge on the subject.

Well whatever. Keep it to yourself.
Perhaps someone else can be of more service if they like to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You don't consider me serious because you assume a person can't be both serious and curious at the same time? Sorry but I don't view my own interests flippantly.
I want to learn from others because I'm serious enough in my curiosity, to where I care about asking for other's perspective, especially if one claims to have knowledge on the subject.

Well whatever. Keep it to yourself.
Perhaps someone else can be of more service if they like to.
I am not here to satisfy someone's curiosity, being able to help is different from satisfying curiosity is what I understand. Well you are free to care about asking for anyone's perspective(I don't care), with me I follow some ground rules. I am not your next door neighbor, old school pal, or your whatever to test my skills, presume your request to be serious, and act diligently, I act only according to my own sweet Will.

Remember, I never started this whole discussion to keep it to myself, although I would certainly like to keep it to myself. I will keep going until you keep trying to prove yourself and unless you keep this to yourself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts