Personality Cafe banner

INFJs, why did you become Christian?

[INFJ] 
11K views 54 replies 43 participants last post by  odetoanathema 
#1 · (Edited)
INFJ's are very spiritual people, so I'm assuming that many here are Christian.

So ... why did you become Christian? Why drove you to embrace this faith and all that it encompasses?

Thanks in advance, and please no flames.

EDIT: Sorry, Christian-only posts please. I don't want this to become a battle of ideologies/theologies (you can create a new thread for that if you want ;) ). I wanted to create this as a respectful, open-minded forum, where you can share your own insights and help each other to grow spiritually. Try to steer away from the negativity :)

#3 ·
I saw the existence of God as being highly probable or probable enough to warrant reasonable doubt and thus I searched the basic concepts of various religions especially on the topic of Salvation theory and I decided that christianity was the most likely and logical spiritually and thus here I am. I have since challanged myself alot on the issue and have thoroughly enjoyed watching debates and reading books on both sides of the fence, although my favourite is by far C.S Lewis' "Mere Christianity".

Moreover on a personal level I very much enjoy the concepts of christianity, even though I stick to a moderate/rational stance. Most of all I enjoy the concept of being called to be "Christ-like" which is powerful for me, who's ultimate goal in life is to be a good man. So in hindsight it is most likely a mixture of emotional and rational processes ^_^.

#4 ·
I don't want to get in a long argument(could take 50 h on skype and 3 years here :)) ) but christianity seems wrong to me on so many levels that I won't even begin to list them.
Let's just say that I believe in my own God. ( yeah really my own; I am thinking about inventing my own religion :) )

#5 ·
I am not a religious person, period.

In fact, I had to suffer through a presentation delivered by a Christian only a few days ago; I was told to "Look to those friends or members of family" who have allowed the "Holy spirit" into their being. I should observe "How they're more optimistic in their outlook" and "more moral".

What a load of utter nonsense. If the person in question wasn't quite obviously mentally challenged (you'd have to be, let's face it) I may have even taken offence.

It goes without saying that she was from a small minority, but still. Do not want.

#6 ·
Most people who become Christians seem to be good people with low self-esteem, low enough to think that you're the servant of a greater entity. Religion exists because life is chaos and that doesn't fit the human mindset.

I think that when we die, it would be far more likely that we just wake up as if it were a long dream, I toy with that idea now and then but I have no real investment in it because the idea of absolute finality doesn't really bother me either.

#7 ·
Reading the first few replies in this thread almost scared me off. But, I'll step up and throw my head on the chopping block because the OP's edit. :)

Before anyone gets in an uproar: I'm not running around judging others who believe differently. I have friends of all types and lifestyles. The following is in no way meant to attack anyone.

First, the definition of "Christian" is difficult for many people to process because there seems to be so many uses for it. If my sake, it is "One who follows the teachings of Christ." No other strings attached.

What most people tell me was "it was how you were raised." But, though I was raised in such a way, now that I'm in college I've taken a step back and looked at the belief system and said to myself "this seems like a great set of ideas." I have cut it open, examined it, torn it apart, looked into the alternatives, but have decided on a Truth.

At the heart of Christianity is love. Simple, unconditional, patient, accepting love. People who wield "Christian" while spreading hate haven't read what they supposedly believe in, or have read it selectively. Christ, in his philosophy, was out to change the world and save humanity, but peacefully and with open arms.

I don't want to weave into a long talk about the existence of God because I'm feeling a bit lazy today, but I will say that for myself, part of living is embracing the ability to "have faith" in something. Human knowledge is a limited speck in a nearly infinite universe; so making a leap of faith and embracing the idea that a moral deity loves us in our relative smallness isn't too difficult for me.

In short;
-Logic and Research
-Faith
-Base Ideology Pointing Towards Love and Acceptance

#10 ·
Before anyone gets in an uproar: I'm not running around judging others who believe differently. I have friends of all types and lifestyles. The following is in no way meant to attack anyone.

First, the definition of "Christian" is difficult for many people to process because there seems to be so many uses for it. If my sake, it is "One who follows the teachings of Christ." No other strings attached.

At the heart of Christianity is love. Simple, unconditional, patient, accepting love. People who wield "Christian" while spreading hate haven't read what they supposedly believe in, or have read it selectively. Christ, in his philosophy, was out to change the world and save humanity, but peacefully and with open arms.
I think @Symphi brings up a good point. I was a bit afraid to comment on this as well. It's a loaded term that means different things to different people. Even Christians argue over who are Christians.

EDIT: Sorry, Christian-only posts please. I don't want this to become a battle of ideologies/theologies (you can create a new thread for that if you want ;) ). I wanted to create this as a respectful, open-minded forum, where you can share your own insights and help each other to grow spiritually. Try to steer away from the negativity :)
Hmm... Since you are limiting responses to only Christians... can I ask what are you using as a definition of Christianity so that we can know whose posts are welcomed and whose would be considered negative? I only ask because I don't want to (further) contribute if it is unwelcome and I have not found any of the posts above about their own spiritual beliefs to be negative or unproductive for spiritual growth.

#8 ·
I was raised Christian, I was told to believe before I had the mind to choose for myself. I really believed it for most of my life but, now I am more Agnostic than anything. There's a lot of things that just don't make sense to me.

#9 ·
I went to church on and off when I was younger and really wanted to believe in God. I think at some point, I convinced myself that I believed more than I really did. Eventually my doubts and the lack of actually feeling God's presence drove me into agnosticism. I would go to youth groups through high school, out of curiousity and to hang out with friends and good people. But it wasn't until I was about 19 that I REALLY KNEW God for the first time. I was really sick with a thyroid disease, went to a healing conference with my mom because she kept encouraging me to go [And I'm so glad she did, because I wouldn't have gone on my own]. I was really skeptical at first, but I was so sick and scared and desperate, that I just let go of my doubt and gave it a real chance. I was prayed for in a way that I had never experienced in church before and felt God's love for the first time. I couldn't stop smiling. I was healed that night, went to the doctor's a few weeks later and they did some tests. They were baffled how I wasn't sick anymore AT ALL! It was something that really turned my life upside down and I could no longer deny God's existence.

#12 ·
haha reading the majority of posts.....this is why i love INFJ's

#13 ·
First Post

I can answer those questions personally. Note that i am not judging nor imposing anyone's beliefs, but certainly it may challenge them - and that's ok. The easiest way to start is with part of my story.

When I was in Jr high my mom took me to a local christian church. it was fun, i liked the songs. I always thought that probably the purpose of life was to be 'good enough to get into heaven'. At 15 in a new (and still my current) church when i learned that Jesus died for my sins and my faith in him saves me(reconciles me to God), i chose him and got baptized. This made sense to me for many reasons, philosophical,theological and personal,objectively. 4 years ago I got serious and truly surrendered my life to see what he could do with me.

(What?)That is my definition of being a christian. Believing that Jesus Christ is Lord, that he died for my sins to reconcile me to himself, so i may give the same love(sacrifice) back to him, and that he IS God. its a Relationship. Its worth it.

On to your answers:
How?-
I suppose my All-or-Nothing attitude plays a major role in how. I'm not here to fool around. I want to live life and live it to the fullest(however short it is). But what does it mean to live? Enter the Bible. Supposedly its God's word. And i heard He's perfect(he doesn't mess up), is all powerful, and defines love (not the other way around).

So if i am going to believe in this God, or myself or anyone/thing, then it has to be for who they ARE, not for what i make them. If I am going to believe in this God, I will have to believe he is who he says he is and can (and did do) what he says he does. This leaves no room for compromise. Jesus claimed he was God. Either He was God or he was crazy. there is no in-between, loving hippie, smart teacher, huggy teddybear nonsense. Belief and faith is not a checkout of our brains, nor closing our hearts, it is based on our intelligence, experience, knowledge, wisdom, - our everything - and in the end, (whether based on those things or not) it is a choice. So now he has to prove he is who he says he is.

Why?
1-as an INFJ i have a good understanding of the world, how it works, how people are at their core (deepest human nature) and I know more of myself than i'd like to know. So I put what the bible says to the test. I read other books(even scientific theories and physics, and psychology - boltzman Brain principle, etc.), not just the bible, and have not found anything that contradicted or didnt follow what true unconditional love is. Religion is a human attempt to understand and approach God. Jesus is God coming to us, doing it for us. But such love has only one response (not only logical, but we were made to) - to love back in the same way.

2-I have personally lived out my relationship with God. Striving to understand him more and not tell him who he is or who i want him to be. My faith and wisdom has been proven by its results in both through great and some of the most difficult experiences in my life. But Jesus is not a self help tool, or a crutch, nor a comfort for troubled or insecure people. That is a flawed human understanding of both someone we can never fully understand and ourselves as humans. Thus my adventure of full life with Jesus has been the greatest and most fulfilling inspite of the worst the world had to offer - and impose.

(skip this next part if you don't want to hear me preach)
This quote is one of my favorites: "The fact that we cannot control God is proof that he exists." What you do or believe in(or don't) cannot create or destroy God, though it can affect your world/reality, and thus affect others. But God is proven by his results, and my humility in giving him the glory is just an outward expression of what is true whether or not I give it. Christians who truly follow Jesus make the world not just a better place, but heaven on earth in its imperfection. We are all hypocrites and imperfect, and we all think we know what love is, but experience it with the one who created it, us, defines it, and with his children that he made so beautifully and to live in community and friendship with each other; and you can decide for yourself. For me, Its worth it.
(ok done.)

For anyone wishing to discuss why Faith must accompany God, or any other discussions about me or God or what i believe in or what I wrote, or even philosophy, physics and the depth of the human heart and love. feel free to contact me.

-MAC

#14 ·
I was raised to be a christian, then my father seemed to have focused more on a couple of different philosophies while my mom seems to be more of an aethiest. I was then free to be whatever I wanted and was an aethiest myself for a while, believing in nothing, then I came across several different spiritual philosophies and now I put my belief in the things that surround me: atoms, energy, life, death, learning, the soul, the mind, acceptance, open-mindedness, love...

I believe in life.

#29 ·
First, some responses:

This is not an argument about Christianity..
It's a thread asking Christians why they chose Christianity.. Not an invitation to judge and explain why you don't believe.

How antagonistic of some of you.
This.

Thank you.

In a forum filled with infj one really shouldn't be surprised people are expressing more opinions then one asks for.
Yes, I understand and respect that, but can you see how religion (or spiritual belief in general) is a very sensitive topic and hence my caution around the replies? Because, let's face it, nothing you say here will change the other's viewpoint - and only has the potential to hurt.

(I have to admit, even if I don't care personally what others believe either way, the first couple of posts read like a slap in the face and I regretted posting up this topic ... but thank you for all the subsequent posts that have restored my faith in the ability to have mature discussions on a public forum without the condescension)

I believe in God and always will, but I'm not sure if I believe so much in prayer like I used to. I would say that I believe 1 out of 10 of my prayers will be answered. After going through terrible situations of emotional and financial abuse, I have come to the conclusion that money has more power than prayer. If you have money, you can get more things done and control more of your life than if you just sit back and pray.
Hi there buddy. I understand your frustration about not having all your prayers answered. But it's Jesus you're praying to, not a genie, and being a Christian isn't a gateway to an easier and happier life on Earth (on the contrary, it can make life harder ... people will hate you for it and life will make it difficult to honour your values and stay true to your beliefs).

Perhaps, as a word of advice, when you pray to ask for something, first pray and ask God about whether you should have it in the first place.

Sometimes, we misplace our own desires (and insecurities) above the will of God, and when our prayers aren't answered, we think that God isn't listening when, really, He is but knowing what is best for us do, will reserve for us only the best and what we need ("Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? ... If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!")

Re: your prayer for a boyfriend, I recommend you check out this post and I hope that it helps you - http://www.marydemuth.com/2011/04/god-didnt-answer-my-boyfriend-prayer-the-way-i-wanted-him-to/

PS. I swear I'll post up my own experiences, but I want to do it justice, and I need some time to think and reflect about how I can best express it in a way that is enlightening and helpful, and won't tempt others to laugh and hate, as some like to do.

#16 ·
This thread made me think about how when I was a child and in my early teens I had no intention of becoming Christian. I started taking an interest in spiritualism and Eastern Philosophy. When my mom invited me to go back to her former place of worship with her, I resisted at first, and then I doubted what I was learning. A few of my experiences with organized religion as a child, made me feel like it was kind of silly. I really had to do research into the Bible, because I was a huge doubter that it was "The word of God", but The more I researched, not just in what the scriptures say, but I really needed secular sources, I needed to know about archaeological findings, secular history, science, psychology, etc. to really know if these things really did coincide with the scripture, and I've found that they did. So I've had to base my faith on evidence, because I've never had that "It is what it is, and that's how it is." mindset.

I have no desire to debate with anyone on the topic of religion though. I understand some people are agnostic or might shy away from religion in general. I was like that once, so I can empathize. But, I can also understand the point of view of the Christians, of course.

#18 ·
I was raised as a Christian. Naturally, once I reached a certain age I decided I didn't want to blindly follow a religion without making sure I believe it and it's teachings. So I studied Christianity a lot, read a lot of theories on both sides, and (obviously) read the bible a couple times. I decided that I do believe in God after a lot of careful consideration that I wont go into.

I don't follow any specific church though. Like Symphi, I see a Christian as anyone who follows the teachings of Christ, regardless of what specific "type" of christian you are. I was raised Baptist, but I don't agree with a lot of Baptist teachings. I've looked around quite a bit, but nothing really seams to fit my beliefs very well, and I really don't feel like I should have to belong to a specific group of Christians. Christianity isn't a political party.

#19 ·
My input:
I am christian, non denominational

The creation museum opened my mind a bit and made it to where I was not just following teachings, but could explain why everything is the way it is
the world has too much evidence of creative design for there not to be a God
this realization brought me to research which one,
I was brought up christian and after researching everything there wasn't one thing that I could disprove,
that, and I can feel his presence in the world and I constantly feel protected, things happen and I don't get hurt, like I'm lucky because he cares for me and I thank him for it not in an obsessive way, but every so often, even though the worlds a mess that wasn't Gods plan, man made it that way

I don't like to claim Christianity because of all the hypocritical people that claim it and make it something it's not.
I actually hate going to church because of this.

believe what you want to believe but this is how I feel and I accept it as truth and it lets me be at peace :) even with the possibility that it isn't

-my own thoughts here please do not feel the need to disprove something I have said to me.
everyone has their own thoughts, i'd like to share mine with out ridicule if you don't mind v.v

I will do the same....granted I never feel the need to ridicule anyone as I can understand why they think/feel the way they do.
there's always a reason to someones choice in religion and it should be left alone

#21 ·
Well, here's the slighlty shorter version of the long story I had just written-and-erased...

I was raised Christian since birth. Went to my denomination's schools until college. And all throughout, I was a strict rule-follower, clutching a firmer grasp onto legalism than salvation. An Old Testament Christian.

But with my personality (and personality type), I can never get a sense of true belonging in a group. Thus, how could I remain in the church once I became the kind of person the church did not want? So I turned my back on them.

And that's when I truly became spiritual. When I realized following God did not have to follow a pre-determined guideline, I found the proper route to find Him. Though most of my friends shun my beliefs and I feel excommunicated from my old church, I don't need their approval because my belief system is more important to me than their opinions.

So am I actually a Christian? I don't know. But if I am, my church only has a membership of one.

#22 ·
My parents weren't too serious with religion, but seemed to be non-practicing in the Christian ideology. I myself was not really too much in touch with it. I feel like I'm quite a backslider even now (and most days, I do at least think about this). I do not agree with everything I'm told to a T (and I question how many people could perfectly life the lifestyle), but I'd say for most part that I do believe. My sisters are pretty confident believers, but I was more in touch when I moved to my grandparents' house. For me, the relationship with God is more important than finding a set of rules. Also, sometimes I wonder if a few of the people who say they believe everything is true really think that or if they are saying it out of fear that they'll be written off as heretic if they don't exactly feel that way.

It seems very common in this generation to be both Christian and very independent, and I feel a big part of that myself.

I could probably make lots of arguments about this, but due to not liking confrontation and conflict, especially over something a bit subjective, I usually do not speak up about anything of that matter. I do speak of the faith and sometimes defend it, though.

I honestly think it all amounts to self-identity on at least half of it.

#24 ·
If the question is "Do you believe in God", I'd say I believe in a higher power
If the question is "Are you religious", I'd say I don't think we know everything about the universe
If the question is "Are you Christian", the answer would be no.

There is a simple reason for this:
I was an anti-conformist as a child (read disobedient) and my teacher at Sunday school always told me that I'd go to hell if I didn't pray for forgiveness, even for little things like not letting somebody else read my book while I still read it.
Now that I've matured (somewhat), I see now that she is the kind of left-wing archaic-thinking that gives religion a bad name, and I have discarded my preconceptions on what a Christian is, but I have enough distaste for just about every institution to say that I hold myself apart from established religion, deciding instead to sit on the fence, accepting everyone and condemning nobody, accepting their gods as a possibility, while remaining true to my own perception o the world:

Each human has a pre-determined path to take in the world, the path of least resistance as it were, but with a nudge and some effort, they can break out of that path and decide where they should go for themselves.
As such, I've decided to take my own path, and, regardless of being lost for the moment, I'm sure I'll find a way, and on the way, I know I can help others.

I've forgotten what the Christian teachings are, but my morals say I'm doing the right thing, so perhaps I am following some religious teachings and simply unaware.

Reactions: Curiously and Aizar
#25 ·
INFJ's are very spiritual people, so I'm assuming that many here are Christian.

So ... why did you become Christian? Why drove you to embrace this faith and all that it encompasses?

Thanks in advance, and please no flames.

i dont understand y responders are explaining why theyre NOT Christians...? :unsure:

#26 ·
Some might not consider me a Christian because I believe Jesus was fully human/a prophet and not literally "God," but I believe in most of his teachings and believe he existed). I am not uncomfortable going to church (in fact, my boyfriend and I will be going to a Lutheran Church tomorrow for Easter). I am kind of an Arian Christian, I guess (heretical).

#30 ·
Really? Because that would be kind of anti Fe.. It's antagonistic. It shows poor listening and communication skills. It's ignorant. It shows intolerance.. It's flat out selfish.
Maybe you should be surprised. Since most of the time the very same people, who don't know how to listen and respect others, are the ones who normally can't wait for an opportunity to tell everyone else how special and INFJ they are.. Then they whine about how no one listens to them or understand them.

I could go on.

#28 ·
Because believing in God gives me a sense of control. I can use prayers to control situations in my life. I have prayed and had seen my prayers answered.

Prayers Answered:
-When around 12, I've prayed to God for a best friend (female) my age to move into this vacant house. My neighborhood had mostly males my age. They were rough when it came to playing, especially with my Barbie dolls.

Within a year, this woman with five children moved into the house. She had a daughter my age, born only a day ahead of me. They lived there for a year and moved.

-I lost my science book in 7th grade for about a month. We didn't study the subject science for awhile. The day I needed my book, a friend of mines told me she found it. It was in her locker the entire time. Great timing.

-In college, I was walking home. It was about a mile within the university. Cars kept passing me by. At some point, I prayed to God that the next car would stop, and the person offer me a ride. The next car that drove by almost past me but than stopped (as if hesitant to offer me a ride). I got my ride though.

-Also in college, I was very lonely and depressed and prayed to God for a boyfriend. I wanted someone who would understand me and not see me as just weird or quiet. I met a guy, an enfp. It was ideal friendship at first, but than turned into a nightmare. I found him to be somewhat manipulative/controlling. He wasn't direct enough. I didn't like this at all.

I believe in God and always will, but I'm not sure if I believe so much in prayer like I used to. I would say that I believe 1 out of 10 of my prayers will be answered. After going through terrible situations of emotional and financial abuse, I have come to the conclusion that money has more power than prayer. If you have money, you can get more things done and control more of your life than if you just sit back and pray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.