Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to figure out my wing for weeks now...I know I'm a type 5 (detached to the max, baby!), but the specific sides of type 5 are a little foggy to me... I found this on Typology Central but I'm still somewhat confused:

Enneagram 5w4 is generally associated with artistic interests like the 4, but where the 4w5's artistic interests are more romantic in nature, the 5w4 tends to be more surreal and science fiction oriented, so to speak. In short, the 5w4's artistic interests lack a "human" element. Like the 4, the 5w4 is also fantasy-oriented.

Enneagram 5w6 is the absent-minded professor or intellectual nerd stereotype. They're less interested in individuality like the 5w4, but more into the scientific method. 5w6 is generally linked to science and logical understanding of things. Hence, the 5w6 is more associated with academic pursuits. In addition, the 5w6 often has more interest in fitting into social groups due to 6 influence.
For the w4...I'm pretty creative, and love to sketch and dabble in photography. I'm not sure if I could define my art as surreal, however. More so, very raw and direct. In writing, however, my ideas do tend to be darker. Almost apocalyptic in some cases. If horror counts as twisted fantasy, then it could qualify. I know INFP type 4s and they are extremely rosy about everything, but I can't say I relate to them fully. Everything feels amplified with them, and though I do experience a "heightened" world sometimes, I don't verbalize it much (or am even able to articulate it).

For w6, I've been called a nerd for as long as I can remember. I was definitely the weird soul reading whole dictionaries at 13 and combing through Wikipedia just for kicks. I feel like I do tend to be "scientific" about things, and really break down scenarios and ideas that others would simply take for fact and move on. I'm very interested in human behavior and study it a lot in and out of school. But, I wouldn't say I look to fit into social groups. If anything I'll create my own group from my oddball crew of friends, but I'd rather just be confident in my own being, and if anyone appreciates that, we can be ourselves together. :proud:

I'm wondering if the fact that I'm even taking the time to analyze this pegs me as a 5w6. :confused:

·
Registered
INFP 5w6
1,322 Posts
Its quite possible that you score quite highly on both and show both characteristics.

Although, the 5w4 identification seemed to be more weighted. This is what tipped me:

But, I wouldn't say I look to fit into social groups. If anything I'll create my own group from my oddball crew of friends, but I'd rather just be confident in my own being, and if anyone appreciates that, we can be ourselves together.
The thought of creating my own group is met with recoil. The thought of that much attention is way too much heat on my tail. I prefer to be unseen, yet have influence inside a group. My mind is inside the group yet physically outside watching it. There's always, however faint, a subject / object relationship. 5w4 seem to be more iconoclastic, using artistic expression to overthrow traditions or challenge popular ideas. More rebellious, while w6 can follow authority quite blindingly at times.

5w4-The beauty of an idea itself.
5w6-The beauty is in the stability of the idea itself.

This seems to distinguish these two variations nicely.

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its quite possible that you score quite highly on both and show both characteristics.

Although, the 5w4 identification seemed to be more weighted. This is what tipped me:

The thought of creating my own group is met with recoil. The thought of that much attention is way too much heat on my tail. I prefer to be unseen, yet have influence inside a group. My mind is inside the group yet physically outside watching it. There's always, however faint, a subject / object relationship. 5w4 seem to be more iconoclastic, using artistic expression to overthrow traditions or challenge popular ideas. More rebellious, while w6 can follow authority quite blindingly at times.

5w4-The beauty of an idea itself.
5w6-The beauty is in the stability of the idea itself.

This seems to distinguish these two variations nicely.
Okay, then 5w4 most definitely sounds like me! I've always had a resistant slant to how I act with authority.

The beauty of an idea itself...very poetic. Thank you! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts