Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted an objective analysis so I had my MBTI test done formally. I was told I was an INFP and I use ISTJ as a functional mode in the workplace. The P value wasn't extreme. I'm okay with 'plan: no plan', but I like my preferences to be taken into consideration. INFP made sense and it felt wonderful to finally feel understood and that there were others like me and they were NICE!

I feel most comfortable when my living space is cozy but tidy (think: Spartan tidy) and it really gets under my skin when I'm agitated or hungry and there's clutter everywhere and then I find fault with everything I see around me! In a calm state of mind, it's not really that bad, quickly straightened up, and I'd be unhappy if I lived in a bare home with all the books on the bookshelf the same shape and color (which seems to have great appeal when I'm having a hard time).

Recently, I was in chronic stress for months from a job task that required me to manage a new team project that had been poorly designed while simultaneously trying to get my foster-adopt ESFJ son to apply himself and graduate from high school on time. He intentionally held back effort and sabotaged himself because he didn't want to have to take on the responsibilities of adulthood and for me, who had been teaching him self-reliance, self-discipline and absolute honesty, his failure was not an acceptable option. A daily conflict.

This significantly deepened certain traits: stubbornness, quick to become quite angry, callous indifference to anything that stood between me and the results I knew were within reach. I have no desire to control anybody and felt intense dislike for what I saw in myself as verging on being a control freak. I would constantly talk in circles with (ok, AT) my husband, trying to talk things through toward a workable strategy. The available technical parenting material was no help, I'd already scoured it for relevant information when he was first placed with us. My placid, centered calm I'd been able to return to for my entire life was GONE but thankfully came back after the stressors were removed, although it took weeks to refresh. I was seriously concerned I'd broken something and that it wouldn't come back.

I'd thought it was just an extreme Fi negative feedback loop and still in line with INFP behavior but recently stumbled upon a description of an INFJ chronic stress reaction and recognized several of these same behaviors.

I'm not hung up on being a rare type. In fact the relative rarity of the INFJ type contributes to my self-doubt which is why I'm asking your considered opinion.

Am I an INFJ?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
well, the eruption of our inferior function does tell alot about our personality, which sounds like that's what you're referring to when you say the chronic stress reaction, i'm not sure where you read from or what article it was, but on here LiquidLight has posted Naomi Quenk's articles on the inferior function which is very good to read

for INFJ's it's this link: http://personalitycafe.com/intj-articles/76896-recognizing-inferior-function-intj.html

and for INFP's it's this link: http://personalitycafe.com/infp-articles/76770-recognizing-inferior-function-ifps.html

for ISTJ's it's this link: http://personalitycafe.com/isfj-articles/78380-recognizing-inferior-function-isfj.html

INFJ and INTJ has the same inferior function
INFP and ISFP the same
ISTJ and ISFJ the same

How functions are stacked in order is like this:

There are 2 types of general functions, Judging Functions and Perceiving Functions
Judging Functions are Thinking and Feeling
Perceiving Functions are Sensing and Intuiting
Then it breaks down to introverted/internal and extroverted/external: Introverted Thinking, Introverted Judging, Introverted Sensing, Introverted Intuiting
Extroverted Thinking, Extroverted Judging, Extroverted Sensing, Extroverted Intuiting

A person has one Dominant Function over all. If it is an Introverted Perceiving Function as Dominant, then the inferior will be Perceiving as well but in the extroverted opposite. If is an Introverted Judging Function as Dominant, then the inferior will be Judging as well but in the extroverted opposite. And vice versa, if it's Dom Extroverted then it's inferior Introverted, etc.

That's why 2 types share the same Dom and Inferior functions, but not the secondary and teritarry functions.

INFJ Ni Fe Ti Se
INTJ Ni Te Fi Se

INFP Fi Ne Si Te
ISFP Fi Se Ti Ne

ISTJ Si Te Fi Ne
ISFJ Si Fe Ti Ne

Reactions: Me_Myself_And_I

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I read the INFx articles and they relate to the article I mentioned. ISTJ is simply a work mode, it goes away when I'm off the clock. I appreciate the insight and will seek out the source book. I found a related post that led to a Dario Nardi UCLA website for determining relative use of cognitive functions (Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes) and it showed my strongest cognitive function is Ni, 46.5 of 50, stronger than my use of Fi at 38.9 of 50. It also says my Se is 14.8 of 50 so I guess I know what I need to work on, eh?
Well, enough about me. Thank you again for your thoughtful response.

·
Banned
770 Posts
Thank you. I read the INFx articles and they relate to the article I mentioned. ISTJ is simply a work mode, it goes away when I'm off the clock. I appreciate the insight and will seek out the source book. I found a related post that led to a Dario Nardi UCLA website for determining relative use of cognitive functions (Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes) and it showed my strongest cognitive function is Ni, 46.5 of 50, stronger than my use of Fi at 38.9 of 50. It also says my Se is 14.8 of 50 so I guess I know what I need to work on, eh?
Well, enough about me. Thank you again for your thoughtful response.
The test is not the best way to figure out your type. I took that test also I am not an INFJ and yet I scored on Ni as my highest function. If you really want to determine your type, you have to think about functions as well as about latters. Do you feel more like P or more like J? And now away with the stereotypes. Js are NOT close minded, their judging function is extroverted. That means that Fe uses norms and values excepted by general society and Te uses facts and norms that are expected in the socitey. Extroverted judgers, mostly Fe types can be actually very adaptable and not so scheduled, or stubborn. Stubborness is also more Pe, than Je thing. Je tend to be more objective when dealing with facts, or with the people, while Pe types care more about their inner opinions(Ti), or inner feeling(Fi). So do you think you are objective and rules/norms that are used in society are important to you? That you're XXXJ type. But if you are more personal, subjtective type, than you're probably an XXXP. This is just very short descritpion of P vs. J, but in general it should fit.

Reactions: Me_Myself_And_I

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am confused about this as well. I've generally tested as INFP, but the past few years I found my general lifestyle to have changed and I prefer a more scheduled, orderly lifestyle and have become a lot less spontaneous and go-with-the-flow than I used to be. My close friends have also commented on my rather pronounced personality change in the last several years. I chalked it up to growing up and taking my place as a boring cog in society's great machine... but I wonder if I've actually changed, personality-wise. The profile for INFJs fits my personality better than INFP now...

I know that INFP and INFJ use different functions entirely, so does it follow that if indeed my personality has changed, I now use Ni as my dominant function whereas I would have used Fi before? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I am confused about this as well. I've generally tested as INFP, but the past few years I found my general lifestyle to have changed and I prefer a more scheduled, orderly lifestyle and have become a lot less spontaneous and go-with-the-flow than I used to be. My close friends have also commented on my rather pronounced personality change in the last several years. I chalked it up to growing up and taking my place as a boring cog in society's great machine... but I wonder if I've actually changed, personality-wise. The profile for INFJs fits my personality better than INFP now...

I know that INFP and INFJ use different functions entirely, so does it follow that if indeed my personality has changed, I now use Ni as my dominant function whereas I would have used Fi before? Is that even possible?
I will start with the short answers.
Your lifestyle says little about your type and so does your preference for a scheduled and orderly lifestyle.
Your personality is constantly changing (new experiences etc. etc.), but MBTI is not about your entire personality.
Your MBTI type never changes, just like your enneagram.
MBTI is about how you process information.
Type profiles are incredibly inaccurate.

So, for the longer answers.
The reason your lifestyle says very little about your type is because lifestyle is purely behavior wise. MBTI is cognitive.
The ones who made MBTI created this confusion that Js are orderly and Ps are messy, this is false. Having an ISFP mother and ESFP sister who both love planning and me and my ISTJ dad hating it, well, irony.
It's not only because of that either. IJs are Pi dominant. INJs for example have dominant Ni whereas INFPs have dominant Fi (Ji function). IJs are actually more likely to accept new and contradicting information than IPs because of this.

The reason that your personality is constantly changing is because there's so many components to it. You got DNA, upbringing, sociological conditions, political conditions, culture, experiences etc.
I've known many many people and no one has ever changed type and they have been everything from ordinary people to people with PTSD or those with brain damage.

MBTI is about how you process information and it goes like this:
First you gain the new information through your senses.
Then you connect them to known information through your intuition.
Then you judge how logical it is.
Then you judge how you feel about it (value wise, not emotions).
Your type says which of those you emphasize the most to which you emphasize the least. It also explains if you use the functions extrovertedly/objectively or introvertedly/subjectively.

Type profiles are inaccurate because they explain MBTI as being your entire personality and because they describe behaviors.

·
Registered
212 Posts
MBTI is about how you process information and it goes like this:
First you gain the new information through your senses.
Then you connect them to known information through your intuition.
Then you judge how logical it is.
Then you judge how you feel about it (value wise, not emotions).
Your type says which of those you emphasize the most to which you emphasize the least. It also explains if you use the functions extrovertedly/objectively or introvertedly/subjectively.

Type profiles are inaccurate because they explain MBTI as being your entire personality and because they describe behaviors.
This is what makes me believe I've been mistyping based on the P/J differences until now. I've always processed information primarily through intuition and how I feel about something according to general objective values. Until my lifestyle had changed to become more "organized", I probably would've continued to mistype based on the MBTI type profiles out there. But nothing ever quite "fit" until I started studying the functions and preferences... I guess it'd be helpful if there were actual anecdotal examples of Ni versus Fi in a situation, though...to be sure.

Thanks for the detailed information - it was very helpful :kitteh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts