Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I struggle to understand metaphors, as well as creating them.

I am very literal and concise with my writing and interpretations of written/spoken language.

It seems many INFPs can write/understand metaphors quite well.

As if it's second nature.

Are there other INFPs who struggle to comprehend metaphors?

What are some possible reasons I cannot "get" them?

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I'll try not to mess with you. :p
How did you determine you are INFP?

Personally, I cannot NOT use metaphorical language & find it easier to grasp things when they are put into metaphor. Literal & concise expression can feel simplistic to me to the degree of making no point at all. It just looks like "fact. fact. fact" with no meaning to it.

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
Metaphors help explain things so well though :)
When you have the idea in your head and there isn't an easy way to explain it.

Plus the word play can spice things up and make it more interesting.

I'm not sure if i'm attuned to understanding all metaphors though, somethings still don't make sense in my head when people express them. But that's perhaps because either I have a poor understanding of their point of they communicated their idea poorly.

·
Retired Administrator
16,776 Posts
There are different types of metaphors. Some of them are more open to creative interpretation than others. I prefer the ones that are more open to subjective interpretation to the ones that are like simple algebra.

I struggle with riddles, grammar, spelling, and other stuff INFPs might be good at, so I feel ya.

But--I'm good at telling embarrassing stories about myself! Ta da!

I majored in English. One day in class, someone begged the professor to show a short video in class that she had seen and thought was hilarious.

It was a humorous spoof making fun of someone who didn't get a riddle. I am assuming that the butt of the joke was "he is really dumb...so that is funny...ha ha ha." I have a really hard time with those kinds of jokes because I find them offensive, pretentious, and boring.

Well...even though the riddle was really easy, I didn't get it either. *laughing* And I studied English!

But that's not to say that I don't understand figurative language or that I have no sense of humor. There are many types of both.

What metaphors are you having trouble with? Do you also have trouble with enjoying poetry or art?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I struggle to understand metaphors, as well as creating them.

I am very literal and concise with my writing and interpretations of written/spoken language.

It seems many INFPs can write/understand metaphors quite well.

As if it's second nature.

Are there other INFPs who struggle to comprehend metaphors?

What are some possible reasons I cannot "get" them?
Metaphors are first nature.

Sarcasm is second nature.

Parables and riddles are third nature.

Fourth nature is making sense.

I understand metaphors like I understand that I need oxygen to breathe. I use metaphors like a car uses gasoline. I think of metaphors as a necessary ingredient for a cake. I speak in metaphors the way Cyrano would thrust home as he ended his refrain.

I think speaking plainly is a like eating pancakes without syrup. I think speaking plainly is like the awkward silence between the Pilgrims and Indians at their first dinner. I think speaking plainly is like not getting your pie al a mode. I think I would rather sit in silence than speak plainly. I thinking speaking plainly is like auditioning for the Clear Eyes commercial.

(I guess these are really just similes, but...oh well)

I can't think of a reason

for metaphor treason

I can't think of cause

for not understanding metaphor laws

I sincerely wish you good luck

That seeing your next metaphor wont leave you stuck

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I'm horrible with metaphors - I hate when others use them around me, because the meanings are so open to interpretation in my mind when I just want to understand what THEY PERSONALLY mean. As someone who places high value on understanding others as well as being understood, I would much rather get straight to the point whenever possible. I feel the most I can do is GUESS, and sometimes I get really lost when even the metaphor they're using leaves me confused. But maybe that's on me for not knowing enough -.-

When it comes to using them myself, however, I do so often =_= Since I'm not the best at saying exactly what I mean, I find it easiest to compare it to something else.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I am not sure that my language is that metaphorical. I just kinda say whatever comes out. How you speak is mostly a product of the environment you grew up in, what you read, what shows you watch and how you have been encouraged to communicate.
Another possibility is that you are an ISFP. They tend to not care about fancy-pancy language but instead let their actions speak for them

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
Oh metaphors. Why are you so enjoyable! I absolutely have no problem whatsoever with understanding metaphors of others and creating metaphors of my own. I don't feel like a fish out of water, but like a fish in water!

Phrases, sayings, metaphors, analogies are the things that give spoken language color, character and it allows you to express your own personality through language. These linguistic phenomenon are the cherry's on the pie, the icing on the cake... *blablablablabla* :tongue:

I love flowery language....

Reactions: justjay and pik

·
INFP
6,508 Posts
Hm... I feel pretty adept at understanding and using metaphors. But thinking more about it and after reading the other answers in this thread, I think it depends. Like meltedsorbet said about having trouble with riddles, I can find that difficult too, and I am terrible at crosswords and such, which seem similar. And I find it more difficult to understand figurative speach in english, partly due to not knowing a few words here and there, or their less known other uses etc. and partly due to not having the same frame of reference, which can be very important in similies and metaphors, especially when humour is involved I think, there are sometimes just tiny fragments in my understanding missing, but it can be enough. Like in Jaytheinfp's text up there, I didn't undestand parts as I don't know who Cyrano is, I know a little about the Pilgrims and Indians, but not enough to really understand what he means, and I don't know what Clear Eyes is. So common frame of reference means quite a lot.

I first wondered if one could really be infp and struggle much with figurative speach, but reading what Pinkmatter said was an aha!, overthinking it! that could explain things, Ne seeing too many interpretations and you get lost among them. I can really relate to that, not exactly with metaphors, but other indirect comunication.

There is also a difference between personal metaphors and ones used for a long time in sa culture, I am not very good with those, sayings, I tend to mix them up with each other. And often they are so old they are not relevant and people only know what they signify because they have learnt it by heart. Here there is one for example that goes "Small tussock often overthrow large load", and to understand it as a child I had to learn that load was used about carts to the brim and more with hay, and that they used to go on uneven roads with grass and tussocks, and then it was easy for the load to fall over beacuse of a small tussock. I understood how it was used much earlier than I understood the meaning of it. Personal metaphors made up for just the specific moment they are spoken usually seem easier to me, but I am not great at making ones myself that people undestand, it seem so clear to me, but others often don't follow in my train of though.

I have notices I use much more figurative speach at night than during the day. I have an hypothesis about the brain being able to put more focus on the concrete or the figurative. That during the day we often need to be practical and the concrete thinking is in focus, and then as evening falls the figurative takes over more and more and we switch over into dream mode.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,334 Posts
I'm not bad with metaphors, I like them, but I'm still not really into poetry or symbolism in literature. I think I tend to use similes more often, though I'm not sure of that. I do find comparing things to eachother to be a natural way to describe or understand things, but as @attic said having a mutual frame of reference is very important when communicating with others, and I definitely find myself lost sometimes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i am a great fan of plain language, but i don't think i've ever been quite good at it, so i've always felt a great need to crutch on metaphors.

i find it difficult to accept the plainness of abstract ideas. yes, please be clear making your point, but also please give some more detail so that i can get to know your abstractness in the unique way that you experience them.

if you say "my values" and "my love" how can i understand them if "my values" and "my love" are so complicated i don't even understand them myself? let the metaphors take us briefly to a separate universe where i can see and understand what you mean, and let that brief shared experience illuminate my understanding of you. my metaphor for metaphors is like a cocoon or a shell or a volcanic cave. there was once life in them that we have shared but back in reality we are together in some space where we are still free to be ourselves. (i don't know how else to express this idea except by metaphors!)

another thought.
if we have seen an animal that no-one else has seen before, wouldn't we naturally use metaphors? "it has has a horn in its head, much like a unicorn..." "it is bigger than a whale..." etc. i feel so many ideas are like that. if i say "my sadness" i don't expect people to understand it, but for some reason i believe if i say "the rain in my heart" people will. maybe it comes from the desire to compensate how i don't feel understood, and how i don't seem to understand people at all. but i still love discovering them and coming up with new ways to say things.

i had a phase when i did go crazy about metaphors. i would elaborately construct a forest of them, and hide under the fine shadows and see if anyone could see through them, if anyone knew me for who i really was. i would enjoy the confusion people had at trying to understand me and think i was a very special and unique and sophisticated and difficult person. bleh.

but now the reason i use metaphors is to communicate, not to alienate. if plain language does the job for you, then that's awesome.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i can always understand metaphors and i sometimes say them but not much. when i talk i'm either very jokey or deep although i don't use metaphors that much. everyone's different, maybe ur the infp who doesn't use metaphors. i'm the infp who's good at math! :wink:
woah there, math is the greatest system of metaphors ever.

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
I'm a lover of metaphors and messing with language and words. I love turning words on their head and making them wear brightly colored party dresses. The part of my brain that doesn't work too well is the "puns part". I can do it if forced, but it doesn't come naturally to me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts