Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how any INFPs view ENFJs as a romantic parter? We are supposedly the perfect match, so, you know, any opinions or personal experiences on whether INFPs and ENFJs go well together or not? And if there happen to be any ENFJs reading this post then what do you think of INFPs romantically speaking? Or even any ENTJs? :wink:

·
Registered
179 Posts
it works if you're both mature and mentally healthy individuals, otherwise not so much. Basically: Soulmate or Clusterf**k nightmare :) take it from me Ive known several of them

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree that INFPs and ENFJs are very complementary to each other. My very best guy friend is an INFP -- but there was never a romantic interest from either side, nor will there ever be. We instantly got each other when we first met, i definitely felt like he was a kindred spirit. But we get each other so well that it's more like a sibling love/dynamic than anything....

Although, i'm an ENFJ type 2w3 (so/sp/sx). He's an INFP type 9w1 (sp/sx/so).

Maybe a romantic spark would be more conducive to another type of INFP! No idea. I haven't met many IRL.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
According to every MBTI forum and the influx of them you sometimes get here, yes...

I think, functions wise, ENFJs use our shadow functions and I guess are our shadow self, and vice versa. I guess it's a good match; we can understand one another well enough to relate with each other, but we are also different and can offer us a new perspective and compliment one another's strengths. That, providing both people are healthy, I can understand why there's so many success stories.

I'm still waiting for one, btw :wink:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
ENFJs are the INFP's natural partners, in that we compliment each other and fit each other amazingly well. There are always other types that can work smashingly with us, it's just with the ENFJs, they understand us on a very deep level but they are also different from us in a way that they can make up for our lacks or even flaws. We also give them strengths where they are lacking as well, so it works out. I find that extroverts tend to have longer, more successful relationships when they partner up with an introvert even more so than when they get together with another extrovert. Don't ask me why that is, but I'm assuming that us introverts can help ground them and calm them down when they get into one of those overly-social or stressful times. If one extrovert is stimulated to the max, another extrovert may start to freak out as well and then problems may arise. With an introvert, we provide comfort and serenity.

Oh, and extroverts can teach us not to be so shy with others, so there's that as well. :proud:

·
Registered
67 Posts
ENFJs are the INFP's natural partners, in that we compliment each other and fit each other amazingly well. There are always other types that can work smashingly with us, it's just with the ENFJs, they understand us on a very deep level but they are also different from us in a way that they can make up for our lacks or even flaws. We also give them strengths where they are lacking as well, so it works out. I find that extroverts tend to have longer, more successful relationships when they partner up with an introvert even more so than when they get together with another extrovert. Don't ask me why that is, but I'm assuming that us introverts can help ground them and calm them down when they get into one of those overly-social or stressful times. If one extrovert is stimulated to the max, another extrovert may start to freak out as well and then problems may arise. With an introvert, we provide comfort and serenity.

Oh, and extroverts can teach us not to be so shy with others, so there's that as well. :proud:
I agree with this 100%.

I was my most grounded/balanced self when i lived with my INFP roommate. After she moved out, I had an ESTP move in and we definitely clashed and couldn't find a way to communicate with each other. Really awkward and filled with extremes of passive aggressive & aggressive aggressive drama. blech, it was horrible. I'm happily living on my own now, but i really don't think i could live with anyone else again other than another INFP or my future partner.

I'm highly social, and never leave enough time for myself to just relax and stay at home. I have a high stress job, and instead of balancing my stress with time to myself -- i fill my time outside of work with meetings and social events. Occasionally, I'll overextend myself and end up feeling like I'm running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. My INFP roommate was always a grounding force for me. Transversely, she didn't have a lot of confidence or will to put herself out there socially/romantically. She wasn't too interested in making new friends or meeting new people -- to her it was too much work. I was able to facilitate her breaking out of her shell and she developed quite a few strong friendships from doing so!

To me, when i lived with an INFP and having an INFP in my life was like having a warm fuzzy blanket fresh out of the dryer that just wrapped me up at the end of the day, making me feel like everything in the world was ok. A kind of comfort that was calming.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I think introverted/extroverted pairings tend to tax the introvert and bore/restrain the extrovert . . . until both have matured a bit and the extrovert has learned to appreciate the value and importance of quiet time and the introvert has learned to appreciate the value and importance of putting themself out there. My ideal relationship would be with a mature extrovert who handles the vast majority of the social life and takes me along for the ride but also accepts that sometimes it'll be his time with the guys because I need some alone time, and who appreciates that I remind him to take some of the same.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think introverted/extroverted pairings tend to tax the introvert and bore/restrain the extrovert . . . until both have matured a bit and the extrovert has learned to appreciate the value and importance of quiet time and the introvert has learned to appreciate the value and importance of putting themself out there. My ideal relationship would be with a mature extrovert who handles the vast majority of the social life and takes me along for the ride but also accepts that sometimes it'll be his time with the guys because I need some alone time, and who appreciates that I remind him to take some of the same.
This thread is very intereting to me because I've been trying to type the guy I'm seeing just by observation and ENFJ is one of the frontrunners (he's definitely ExFJ, though whether he's only slightly E or a "mature" E as described above I'm not sure). Either way, we do seem to be weirdly compatible, this coming from a 28 year old who's only found one guy in the past who even made an effort to try and "get" me.

The post above is somewhat indicative of where we are. We're taking things slowly for a number of reasons, but partially because he's completely overbooked himself with commitments to other people (some of which he can't help, to be fair). But as he gets to know me he's realizing that I don't really mind spending time alone as much as other girls he's known, and that we don't have to have some grand night on the town for it to be an awesome "date" and I think he really appreciates that about me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm married to one and marrying her was the best decision I made in my life.
Sounds awesome! I can imagine it's such a great combo when it works.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I would like to know more about the dynamics. Right now I have an ENFJ female friend and she is discovering her emotional and vulnerable side after years of overusing her Ti function. She is quite smart and can appear like a fast thinker, while she is more a warm people person at heart. How is that between you and her? Does it lead to tension with our INFP laidbackness or are you both able to accept and appreciate eachother's differences, especially in decision making, and why does it work well? Thinking of the Fi-Fe difference too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like the idea of an INFP/ENFJ pairing, it seems quite ideal. Although I would prefer dating an INFP, from what it looks like, an ENFJ pairing would be more suitable and would make the relationship more well-rounded. Of course, I have no idea because I've never been in a relationship and don't think I've ever met an INFP or ENFJ from the opposite sex (I'm straight lol) but I can base my judgments off of celebrity pairings, I think.

Andrew Garfield (INFP) and Emma Stone (ENFJ) are an incredibly strong and charismatic couple, according to me. So were Johnny Depp (INFP) and Winona Ryder (INFP??). Even though that ended, I think their relationship was really intense.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I could see it working. I think I'd be a bit worried about dating someone with a lot of Fe, though. IME, people with a lot of Fe get in my personal space a bit too much because they want to nurture me and I don't really like to be nurtured a lot. But there have been several ENFJs in my life that I got along really well with. They've just all been female and I'm straight, so I don't know whether or not I'd ever develop romantic attraction to one. I'm also not sure if a J-type would appreciate my total lack of organization, though. They'd see it as a weakness, and I just see it as a different way to be.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I usually did the MBTI test with my dates and it was funnily shocking that 90% were ENFJ's.
During the dating period, it was really nice, because it pushed me to put myself out there and the combination INFP/ENFJ was very rewarding for both parts. It feels like I'm helping the ENFJ's becoming more comfortable with themselves and see their own value. Very dynamic and creative interactions. Fun. But my experience is that things tend to turn sour when relationships became "serious". I've always felt that the J was trying to tie me to commitments. I can't avoid seeing how this phenomenom is gradually building up and I end up being a great partner to the ENFJ, but not me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts