Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard lots of opinions INFP has linguistic intelligence, they are good at writing and learning languages. But can INFP be also good at maths and science? Do you think INFPs should learn maths in a "special" way? (For INFP, who can't maths) Do you know famous INFP sciencist or mathematics?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Can INFP be also good at maths and science? Yes, everyone can.
Do you think INFPs should learn maths in a "special" way? Yes, probably.
Do you know famous INFP sciencist or mathematics? No, not a single one.

I'm not good at math and I think it's just extremely boring.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Types don't really define what someone can be good at. At most they suggest what someone can be good at or have an easier time with.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
INFP's are creative thinkers that want to explore the world, go in depth, discuss theories, philosophize about the world and our existence. We're more interested in the "why" of the world, not in the "what". That's why we're also more in pseudosciences (like for example psychology, mtbi, spirituality, how to lead a better / valuable life, our road to happiness).

Mathematics is pure exact science, not open for interpretation (except in the highly academic circles). They can be good at it, but i think there is a strong trend with infp's simply not being interested in maths, making them also less good in it, in general because of lack of motivation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Me too, but I really want to learn it :happy:

·
Registered
902 Posts
yes. i finished calc 3 in high school.

Reactions: Niobity

·
Banned
3,277 Posts
I was pretty exceptional at math, reading was much more of a chllange

Reactions: vividi

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 6w7 9w1 so/sp
3,417 Posts
Yes, of course.

But those who find it boring, may struggle more with it. I have been quite good at it, while I find it interesting. So there ya go. We can be good at anyting, especially if our Fi approves <3

·
Registered
220 Posts
Love maths and good at it too.
Love teaching maths and getting students excited about it, especially the ones who have trouble understanding it.
Love it when students get more confident in their ability to do maths.
Love discussing concepts with stronger students.
:popcorn:math:love_heart:

·
Banned
16 Posts
Love maths and good at it too.
Love teaching maths and getting students excited about it, especially the ones who have trouble understanding it.
Love it when students get more confident in their ability to do maths.
Love discussing concepts with stronger students.
:popcorn:math:love_heart:
Oh wow, where were you when I studied math? You sound like an absolutely awesome teacher! The ones I had killed the subject for me.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I love math, but my way, not the way it was taught to me in my textbooks. Probably has something to do with my dyslexia. Regardless, I loved the patterns and how everything made SENSE. I liked that the processes were clear cut and direct, it made things easier for me. If I were taught a different way, I would've enjoyed it more, but I haven't touched math beyond algebra in a couple years now, and don't plan to. :tongue:

·
Registered
Infp 6w5
2,780 Posts
I can learn math, but I can't learn to love math. Honestly, I'm just excessively slow to arrive to the answer, but when I do its usually correct. I find math generally boring and frustrating due to my slowness at it. I'm a visual learner, so I normally resort to counting on my fingers, representative math using real world items or drawing the measurements out. I have no trouble using a ruler or measuring cups. I can make some pretty accurate guesstimates in my head too.

But the overly theoretical stuff such as trigonometry and calculus tends to way over my head, and at best I only learned it from a short term memory perspective. So basically, I can only relate to and work with grounded, practical math. Which may very well be a Te vs Ti thing, now that I think about it.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,636 Posts
Of course INFPs can be good at math!!

I bet the only reason it isn't my cup of tea is because I had to take my advanced classes with stupid idiots from the next grade up. Not just idiots and not just stupid, but ... You get the picture. Class was unbearable.

There's a particular vsauce video I like where the dude discusses numbers beyond infinity. Now that's cool right there! Advanced math like that is speculative and theoretical. You get to use concepts to get concepts rather than stick to those blasted numbers. And you get to work with things that haven't or can't be proven through the real world. Math is much too good for me! If you're a die-hard dreamer who really searches for "the answer", math is totally for you!

I'm a science kind of gal, and I don't have a favorite branch of science. I literally like it all, and I'm always trying to learn more and more. Since science deals with the real world, there are fewer absolutes, and I personally love to speculate about all the potential solutions to a problem. Science explains, predicts, and explores the real world—which is what I do all the time quite naturally. Math does the same thing, but as an analog. It's a separate perspective, but they do meet up the higher you go.

------

From a different perspective, one can be good at something without actually getting it. I get science, and I relate to it as if it were my intimate lifelong companion. I don't get math, but I'm still good at it—I just have to remember the rules.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I only graduated from High School just over a month ago and I was generally quite ordinary at maths. My exam marks mostly ranged between 45%-55%. I don't know if anyone else felt/feels the same way, but I found my Ne to be a really big hindrance. It was a major hassle with solving maths problems. I would approach a maths question and I would have mostly memorised how to solve it properly (Si), but then my Ne would take over and I would start to wonder if there was a better way to go about solving the problem. Then my Fi would kick-in and I would feel completely unsure about what to do and how I should work the problem out.

It's strange, because I was great at science, but just not maths. :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have to work on statistics for University. It was a challenge at first because I didn't actively do maths ever since I was about 16.
The course in statistics/maths right now is mentally stimulating so I find it fun.

But am I good? Yeah, I think I'll just use the calculator.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I only graduated from High School just over a month ago and I was generally quite ordinary at maths. My exam marks mostly ranged between 45%-55%. I don't know if anyone else felt/feels the same way, but I found my Ne to be a really big hindrance. It was a major hassle with solving maths problems. I would approach a maths question and I would have mostly memorised how to solve it properly (Si), but then my Ne would take over and I would start to wonder if there was a better way to go about solving the problem. Then my Fi would kick-in and I would feel completely unsure about what to do and how I should work the problem out.

It's strange, because I was great at science, but just not maths. :(
Using your Ne is great if you can bounce off your ideas with someone who has more knowledge than you. Sometimes, you find out you were right, other times your ideas get proven wrong and you can finally understand why and move on.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I don't think it would be that unusual for an Infp to like math. I like figuring out radius/circumferences and torque pressure. Taking courses in physics helps, and honestly when math is applicable to what I do I enjoy it more. I don't devote time to learning any more math than I have to, but I enjoy the way I think when solving problems. It provokes a lot of thought.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts