Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a precursor, I really wouldn't be writing this unless I was confused myself. So I attempt taking responsbility for my own confusion by writing this.

There's a reason that there's the stereotyped thread stickied. Perhaps one can hide their selves well in the internet, but after browsing through the INFP forum for a while, I have noticed that there's a problem. A problem no discernment of the INFP subtypes, stereoINFPtype/true INFP, or any of this other nonsense will fix. INFP's seem to be where all the forum immigrant's go.
Here's the stab into the gown that may be my own clothing: INFP's need help!
I believe something needs to be done to clear this up. Maybe a forum is an endless collection of data (therefore not a place for making decision) or i'm making the subtle rhetorical exclamation that i'm not an INFP. But I believe it's the forum's goal to teach these system's we use, be it MBTI or Jungian Functions.

First:
Is INFP the theme for the unhealthy, undeveloped, undecided, romantic (like E-4), naive, ADD, or what type?

Second:
Can we find a way of opening the INFP pin and routing the collaboration to true type? Seemingly, the collaboration consists of ISFP's, INFP's, ENFP's, and many more flavors.
I think there's too much information, and the answer isn't to simplify, but discover the consistent info..

Third:
Should this be changed? I sense other member's have a problem with this. I can only relate (in revelation) to a few of my type. But maybe an INFP or the INFP's in this forum don't necessarily care about type, and do about their own niche of discussions. That niche that may be assumed as the stereoINFPtype.

As an additive, if there is a way to take action on a forum, I strongly believe the Enneagram need's, not a rulebook, but a way of suggestion into education. And again to find the consistent info.
Or else the INFP become's this archetype and Enneatypes are like:
1: Good Guy, 2: Best Friend, 3: Television, 4: That weird artist that we like, 5: Descendant of library book, 6: News, 7: the guy you liked but never approached, 8: mistakable bad guy, 9: the naive, forgettable type. Rather, the sight of each type becomes the type's worst fear, unhealthy. (Here's the section that doesn't help at all)

I've seen this issue most for INFP's, but i'm assuming other type forum's have similar issues. Perhaps this could serve as a thread to address or work through all the type's misidentifications? Perhap's new user's first post needs to be in, What's my Type? But before I consider my fragile self-identification of my type back on a search to my self or to the What's My Type? forum, maybe, just maybe we could have this, 'forum identified'. I don't feel like i'm learning from people that don't know their types (including myself).
As many time's as i've thought of posting on INFP forums this issue, I have yet to find the interest/anger/courage to do it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Interesting. I haven't been to the INFP forum, so I don't have much input. What is your thought on the INFP forum having twice the post count or more of any other forum?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I fell into the "I'm unhealthy and misunderstood but not evil enough to be an NT so I must be INFP" trap not long after arriving here, but it didn't take long to notice I didn't belong. If others are truly interested in self discovery you'd hope they'd pick up on it too and if they don't want to work themselves out there is no way we can do it for them.

I = Loner = spends lots of time online
N = Thinks about things rather than accepting them
F = Nice to talk to
P = Disorganised

And the stereotypes of "not being understood" and "always questioning there type" can only increase the number. Then once you get in there there is a lot of moaning about E, S, T and J types so it's almost scary to admit to being any of those things for risk of loosing the only people who truly seem to understand you.

Is this mainly a girl problem? Is there a similar overload of males in the INTP for the above reasons but with

T = not a squishy F!

In place of the F?

Who knows...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've also noticed a number of INTPs I believe to be INFPs, but want to shy away from the F label because they associate it with whiny, over emotional, and illogical.

I think a number of ENFPs type as INFPs because they think extraversion means a person has to be loud and gregarious, party animal type of person.

·
Registered
836 Posts
that is an interesting idea you have there. im also kind of glad you didnt throw infj into the possible types... we are pretty different. our forum is kind of interesting because it's random, feeling-oriented, and then the members tend to call each other out on behaviors that aren't acceptable or logical (a product of ti and j).

i would tend to agree that infp is one of the more confused mbti types... but maybe that is by nature part of their description? the infps i know in real life are hesistant to settle on labels, or decisions. why would their online forum be any different? :)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
SarahWilliams said:
we are pretty different. our forum is kind of interesting because it's random, feeling-oriented, the members tend to call each other out on behaviors that aren't acceptable or logical (a product of ti and j).
Is that why I didn't find the INFJ forum as ... not me? as the INFP one?

SarahWilliams said:
the infps i know in real life are hesistant to settle on labels, or decisions. why would their online forum be any different? :)
Exactly - I know an INFP and she doesn't like labels either. Yet many of the new arrivals here are happy to take on the label... it's just more proof that they are mistyping, to me.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I've also noticed a number of INTPs I believe to be INFPs, but want to shy away from the F label because they associate it with whiny, over emotional, and illogical.
I can't say that's true for me. Actually, it's the complete opposite: I assocaite being a T with being cold, dry and boring. I was recently between INTP and INFJ (almost positive about the Fe and Ti); although if I could "choose" a single type it would probably be ENTP, the fact is most of the types on my "wish list" are NF's. I'm more scared of being unemotional than overemotional (not that I like to think of myself as either) even though I am constantly being cut off from my feelings.

And I've never been one to fetishize logic. I think that an F function is way more useful in life and, when paired with N, can make lots of decisions associated with T almost as well. I think the only advantage NT's have over NF's is being able to explain their thought process better, plus (no offense) NF's can be pretty naive at times. But I'd rather live with a potentially foolish sense of hope for the world in my heart than live seeing it for what it really is - and despairing.

NT's are very smart but are often retarded in the realm of emotional intelligence, especially INTP's. NF's are usually incredibly smart as well and have a high emotional intelligence. You might give up a bit of logical scrutiny, but who cares? Logic is boring and overrated (and honestly, most T's aren't even truly logical, just impersonal decision makers. The only type who is truly logical is the INTP, although so many of us are so cocky it tends to take away any respect we would otherwise command). This is not vain self-praise. Considering everything we give up, it is really not worth it. Logic is useful to me in no area of life that piques my interest (in many stereotypically "Thinker" fields such as science Feelers can excel because intuition can make up for it...don't know if the reverse is true). I use logic constantly, yes, but only because I have no choice. Fi, for instance, might not be "useful", but at least you get to enjoy your feelings (yeah, I know they can be painful at times, but remember they bring us closer to finding mening in our lives...even T's). How is logic enjoyable, in and of itself? Maybe some people think that it is, but I don't get it. Call me a joke of an INTP, but I never understood the allure of logical problem solving. Problems are problems, and you solve them to make them go away, not for the sake of it. Thinking seems like it is mostly a means to an end, which is why it is conflated with sensing in the popular imagination.

You get way more going for you as an NF. Being an N-dominant Thinker would be great because you could develop your F much more easily and still use the T to shield yourself from the world (besides, everyone knows N is the most admired, versatile, and coveted function), but being T dominant? Blech. And in my case, because of the way my life has panned out, I have all the negative qualities associated with F's: not overly skeptical, depressed, self-doubting, sensitive (in a negative way), which led to me being even more cut off from my emotions...I gain nothing from being a T.

*sigh* I just don't get why T is so celebrated in society...good old patriarchy I suppose. But while the social consequences of being a more emotional male may be difficult (although again I don't benifit here; I am frequently called "emotional" by Thinker males because I don't cover up my feelings...mostly out of spite for the stupidity of that social stigma...maybe I should start) are surely not as great as the social consequences of simply being INTP. I wish I was ENTP...the best qualities I have to my credit (like being fairly polymathic and multitalented, at least according to others) come from my Ne, not my Ti (Ne is definately my favourite function... sadly it probably is for most INTP's. I am very thankful for my Ne. I don't care what Ni users say about it not being as "penetrating", surely they are right, but I'll take being fun and whimsical and charismatic and socially popular any day). Not that I'm bashing Ni users here, I'd do anything to become an INJ, but I'm not one. For that matter I'd rather be any NF and especially N-dominant N (T or F) than an INTP, but I'm not one. Scratch that, any N but the INTP. At least ENTJ's are well equipped to succeed in the business world...

PS. I realize this will come across as whiny. All of this has been stewing in me for so long and I just needed to rant. I was sick of seeing so many people equating T with intelilgence, or assuming that males all wanted to be Thinkers. Accepting your type can be difficult, no matter which one you are...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Is that why I didn't find the INFJ forum as ... not me? as the INFP one?
It's a theory? Haha. I think honestly that INFJs aren't as warm and fuzzy. We have edges. Some of us have high Js and lots of Ti, so we can be self-critical as well as overwardly critical. It's with the best of underlying intentions.... but we feel the need to interject and also to give advice. That probably isn't as welcoming as INFPs would be? It's quirky.

Exactly - I know an INFP and she doesn't like labels either. Yet many of the new arrivals here are happy to take on the label... it's just more proof that they are mistyping, to me.
I like this point. I think true INFPs are questioning, and always seeking a better answer, decision, or label. I wonder how you could determine if someone is mistyped though? Not sure how you could 'out' the imposters - or if you would want to?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I can't say that's true for me. Actually, it's the complete opposite: I assocaite being a T with being cold, dry and boring. I was recently between INTP and INFJ (almost positive about the Fe and Ti); although if I could "choose" a single type it would probably be ENTP, the fact is most of the types on my "wish list" are NF's. I'm more scared of being unemotional than overemotional (not that I like to think of myself as either) even though I am constantly being cut off from my feelings.

And I've never been one to fetishize logic. I think that an F function is way more useful in life and, when paired with N, can make lots of decisions associated with T almost as well. I think the only advantage NT's have over NF's is being able to explain their thought process better, plus (no offense) NF's can be pretty naive at times. But I'd rather live with a potentially foolish sense of hope for the world in my heart than live seeing it for what it really is - and despairing.

NT's are very smart but are often retarded in the realm of emotional intelligence, especially INTP's. NF's are usually incredibly smart as well and have a high emotional intelligence. You might give up a bit of logical scrutiny, but who cares? Logic is boring and overrated (and honestly, most T's aren't even truly logical, just impersonal decision makers. The only type who is truly logical is the INTP, although so many of us are so cocky it tends to take away any respect we would otherwise command). This is not vain self-praise. Considering everything we give up, it is really not worth it. Logic is useful to me in no area of life that piques my interest (in many stereotypically "Thinker" fields such as science Feelers can excel because intuition can make up for it...don't know if the reverse is true). I use logic constantly, yes, but only because I have no choice. Fi, for instance, might not be "useful", but at least you get to enjoy your feelings (yeah, I know they can be painful at times, but remember they bring us closer to finding mening in our lives...even T's). How is logic enjoyable, in and of itself? Maybe some people think that it is, but I don't get it. Call me a joke of an INTP, but I never understood the allure of logical problem solving. Problems are problems, and you solve them to make them go away, not for the sake of it. Thinking seems like it is mostly a means to an end, which is why it is conflated with sensing in the popular imagination.

You get way more going for you as an NF. Being an N-dominant Thinker would be great because you could develop your F much more easily and still use the T to shield yourself from the world (besides, everyone knows N is the most admired, versatile, and coveted function), but being T dominant? Blech. And in my case, because of the way my life has panned out, I have all the negative qualities associated with F's: not overly skeptical, depressed, self-doubting, sensitive (in a negative way), which led to me being even more cut off from my emotions...I gain nothing from being a T.

*sigh* I just don't get why T is so celebrated in society...good old patriarchy I suppose. But while the social consequences of being a more emotional male may be difficult (although again I don't benifit here; I am frequently called "emotional" by Thinker males because I don't cover up my feelings...mostly out of spite for the stupidity of that social stigma...maybe I should start) are surely not as great as the social consequences of simply being INTP. I wish I was ENTP...the best qualities I have to my credit (like being fairly polymathic and multitalented, at least according to others) come from my Ne, not my Ti (Ne is definately my favourite function... sadly it probably is for most INTP's. I am very thankful for my Ne. I don't care what Ni users say about it not being as "penetrating", surely they are right, but I'll take being fun and whimsical and charismatic and socially popular any day). Not that I'm bashing Ni users here, I'd do anything to become an INJ, but I'm not one. For that matter I'd rather be any NF and especially N-dominant N (T or F) than an INTP, but I'm not one. Scratch that, any N but the INTP. At least ENTJ's are well equipped to succeed in the business world...

PS. I realize this will come across as whiny. All of this has been stewing in me for so long and I just needed to rant. I was sick of seeing so many people equating T with intelilgence, or assuming that males all wanted to be Thinkers. Accepting your type can be difficult, no matter which one you are...
I love this whole post. It runs the gamut. Pretty self-aware I might add too!

Point is: People want what they aren't.

I wish I could control my emotions more and be more T-like. It's downright embarassing to cry everytime I say goodbye to people as they graduate or move on to new jobs. We clearly have the opposite requests. I also wouldn't mind being an E and NEEDING to have a social life. I could really care less if I have plans for the weekend... and that strikes most people as being kind of odd, haha.

Accepting your type can be difficult, regardless of type. I'm guessing there's a lot of mis-typing and self-delusion going on out there...

P.S. I think everyone would want to be an ENTJ. It might be nice to get lots of power and $$$$s :)

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I love this whole post. It runs the gamut. Pretty self-aware I might add too!

Point is: People want what they aren't.

I wish I could control my emotions more and be more T-like. It's downright embarassing to cry everytime I say goodbye to people as they graduate or move on to new jobs. We clearly have the opposite requests. I also wouldn't mind being an E and NEEDING to have a social life. I could really care less if I have plans for the weekend... and that strikes most people as being kind of odd, haha.

Accepting your type can be difficult, regardless of type. I'm guessing there's a lot of mis-typing and self-delusion going on out there...

P.S. I think everyone would want to be an ENTJ. It might be nice to get lots of power and $$$$s :)
That's it exactly. My gut reaction is to counter that the INTP gets a worse deal than most of the other types, in my gut that's what I feel, but in the end I know that's completely subjective and there are probably people who (for reasons I can't fathom at all) want to be my type. We all have it hard. I'm just compelled to think I have it worse than everyone else.:tongue:

But I have seen more F's wishing to be T's than vice versa. So I wanted to assure F's that an excess of T can be extremely hard to live with as well.

Yeah, it would be nice to be an ENTJ. I am such a wannabe aristocrat. My penchant for material decadence and the finer things in life doesn't go well with my laziness and lack of drive!:tongue:

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I'm starting to think it is almost unethical to type a stranger over the internet. If someone asks for help, then to help them understand the theory better, suggest books/sites for research, & offer suggestions on how to introspect and self-analyze seems appropriate, but to tell someone what their own thought process seems presumptuous.

I too suspect many so-called INFPs around here may not be, but who am I to claim an insight into their mind? I think clearing up misconceptions and promoting actual theory discussion as opposed to stereotypes is a step in the right direction; I agree on that wholeheartedly. Somehow, I think those who might benefit most may not be the ones to pay attention though. If you're here for emotional support, venting, bonding over common interests, etc, then the INFP forum is very seductive. If you're bent on knowing your true type, then such information and discussions will be very useful though.

I don't doubt that many INFPs here are INFP either, because the personality theory seems made for such a mindset to latch onto, not to reject. It's also important to note there are many ages here, many backgrounds, many levels of emotional/mental "health", etc, and all of this will influence how a person comes across. It then becomes very difficult to pinpoint the mistyped versus someone you just don't relate to.

i would tend to agree that infp is one of the more confused mbti types... but maybe that is by nature part of their description? the infps i know in real life are hesistant to settle on labels, or decisions. why would their online forum be any different? :)
All this does is reinforce stereotypes that have little basis in actual type theory. INFPs are NOT the most confused type, unless you mean it is a type that others often confuse themselves or others for (very plausible). Introverted Feeling is often associated with being in-touch with your internal self and engaging in introspection; I can't imagine such a person being confused about who they are. Extroverted Intuition can mean insight into the intangible possibilities, which can aid in grasping the theory, so that the INFP can then make an informed decision. Deciding on type may take time, but certainly does not mean an INFP is stuck in a perpetual state of confusion.

As for "labeling", if you recognize that is all MBTI is, then it is not any threat to individuality. To be sure, an INFP may like to consider many possibilities & take in a ton of info prior to making a decision, but once a decision is made, there is not necessarily an upheaval of it later. Quite the contrary; an INFP may hold off on a decision knowing that once it is made, it is final. There may be a resistance to new, contradicting info once it is made also. Since it will probably be a feeling based decision, it will likely be connected to a value, hence the stubbornness. I don't foresee too many ISFPs who think they are INFP being easily persuaded due to that Fi stubbornness; inferior Te can pick & choose the facts based on what suits Fi values. Negative sensor bias is still prevalent also...

·
Registered
836 Posts
To clarify, OrangeAppled, my comments based on INFPs are due to close personal experiences with officially typed INFPs... a boss, a coworker, a friend, and someone I dated. My comments are sustinct, perhaps overly so. But they are based on actual experiences with INFPs who are confused about their type as well as their place in the world.

I do not think the INFP is stuck in a perpetual state of confusion at all... but you guys are typically more content to sift through and consider multiple possibilities... where me, being INFJ, wants a decision and action. It's a different state of being, which doesn't make it wrong, just different.

Other than your response to my comment, I agree with everything you say about your type! It's spot on!

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm fairly new to the forums but I have noticed that when I check for new posts the INFP forums seems to have the most threads going on. How ever I wouldn't really say its for the undecided, rather the type that's trying to understand themselves the most. I always saw ISTJ as being the average (at least with males) so people who are undecided tend to be them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is an interesting discussion. I'm currently calling myself INFP, but partly because of the impression that it's a 'catch-all' type I am trying to find more discerning ways to determine if that is true. However, as I learn more about all of this I care less and less about what my 'true type' is... I like hanging out in the INFP forum and feel that at this point in my life it's the most 'comfortable' (whether it's my true type or not).

But more importantly - by reading about what INFPs problems are, and watching trends in that forum as well as others, I'm learning how to deal with some real life issues. For example - now I'm learning more about cognitive functions and based on observation as well as an online test Te is my lowest function. Ne my highest. Now I understand a bit more why I can get into endless mental loops about things and end up not only not coming to a conclusion, but sometimes forgetting what I was trying to determine in the first place. I can notice when I'm doing it more (and knowing is half the battle, kids :happy:), also I'm finding some strategies to help strengthen my Te. So whether I'm INFP or not becomes almost irrelevant. (And yes, part of me is happy for the 'final decision' to be 'possibly INFP' and never fully and scientifically determine the 'truth').

~ Boots ~

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was severely depressed when I first took the MBTI, and yeah...I scored INFP.
So I think the OP has a point.

Going by cognitive functions though, I am clearly ENTP.
While my Fi is well-developed, it is not the function that dictates how I act on an everyday basis.

Back to the point about the INFP forum being heavily trafficked:
It seems that those who are mistyped would realize after a while that the attitudes of the people in the forum don't match their own...at least that's what happened with me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts