Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Def. not great, but I often come up with the right results using my own ways of calculating. And rather good with geometry. I hate algebra though :D it's only good for brain quizzes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was one of the best pupils in my class at maths, but while I did like f. ex. exercises that required logical thinking and problem solving, all kinds of calculations were boring to me. I definitely never had a passion for that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think my math isn't exactly horrible, but it isn't that good either :p I think I'm one of the worst in my class for math... When it comes to those strange problem sums, I get them right by my own methods but my teacher says I over think the questions

Sent from a mobile device

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Nope, always been really good at maths and loved it :) I excelled at everything though, as long as it only required brains (no bodily movements) and ended up picking words and language over maths/physics career wise - out of sheer love for words <3

If I got a second life though, I'd love to be a philosopher and neuroscientist, maybe astrophysicist / theoretical physicist as well.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Speaking for myself, I suck at maths. It's always been my worst subject. Well, worst after Design Technology.

I know some INFPs are good at maths, though.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yup. I have dsycalculia, and a lot of the crap that comes along with that, which is everything from getting confused looking at large groups of numbers to taking up to five seconds to process right and left. I'm a highschool senior and yet I can only multiply up to my 6s; right now I have a math teacher who walks us through most of our stuff so that's nice but I've pretty much given up on ever being a math wizard or anything.

This is the most aggravating when people hear about my above average intelligence and they immediately test me by...giving me a difficult math problem. *Headdesk* Then of course if I can't answer it they dismiss me. I was able to read at a college level in the second grade and tested in the top 1% of students in my school all throughout elementary, so either I went to school with a lot of dumb kids or there's more to intelligence then being able to spew answers to math problems.

·
5,121 Posts
I was good at it, but found it boring. For all those who struggle and are still in school, I can perhaps confort you with that unless you choose a job that require mathskills, you will likely not need to know any more than the most basic mathematics once you quit school. Addition, subtraction, multiplication, some simple graphs possibly(reading the newspaper perhaps), some very simple geometry possibly(ex. building something, calculate the area to know how much paint is needed...), some basic undrestanding of percentage and statistics if wanting to understand the news and similar. I can't remember ever using algebra after school... And there are calculators, and the internet, I remind myself when worried about having forgotten all about differentiation and integrals and what not, if I would ever need them(not likely) I can look it up and learn then.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I was good at it, but found it boring. For all those who struggle and are still in school, I can perhaps confort you with that unless you choose a job that require mathskills, you will likely not need to know any more than the most basic mathematics once you quit school. Addition, subtraction, multiplication, some simple graphs possibly(reading the newspaper perhaps), some very simple geometry possibly(ex. building something, calculate the area to know how much paint is needed...), some basic undrestanding of percentage and statistics if wanting to understand the news and similar. I can't remember ever using algebra after school... And there are calculators, and the internet, I remind myself when worried about having forgotten all about differentiation and integrals and what not, if I would ever need them(not likely) I can look it up and learn then.
Yeah, I've pretty much figured out that I won't need half this stuff in the real world. The issue is more that I need to pass two really hard math courses to qualify for my major...in social work. Seriously, what?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm only good at algebra. The rest... Well... Let's just say that the big picture of a dragon I have on my wall wasn't made in my free time (it was made in math class *clears throath*)

·
5,121 Posts
Yeah, I've pretty much figured out that I won't need half this stuff in the real world. The issue is more that I need to pass two really hard math courses to qualify for my major...in social work. Seriously, what?
ah, yes, to qualify for some university courses as well, had forgotten about that. Social work and maths? Being able to interpret some statistics I can see would be good, and if dealing with the economic aspect some for that as well, but more than that? I think this seems like on of the examples of a fault I see in education, that you are supposed to know all kinds of things, in case you need them in higher education, why not simply include them in the higher education once it is clear what is needed? saves us all time and effort that could be used better. Well, I wish you luck and energy to get through those two courses.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I hate math.

That doesn't mean I'm bad at it, however. Back in HighSchool I used to always think in my mind that I was bad at it, but my math teacher thought otherwise. I came in for tutoring one day, and he drilled me on a whole bunch of math problems that he wanted me to do in my head. For the first time in forever, I actually focused on solving the math and answered all of them without much problem. The teacher then told me that most people would have to solve those problems on pen and paper. This guy hails from Harvard, if that means anything.

From that day on, I learned that I'm surprising efficient at math when I put my mind to it. I still hate math with a passion, and I don't like dealing with excessive numbers unless I really have to.

So yeah, not bad at math. Just despise the calculation process. If I empty out my thoughts and feelings and whatnot, and I can easily become a walking calculator.

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
I hated it as a little kid, but now I actually love it. It's so much fun and can be therapeutic even. I mean I don't get a tingly feeling doing long division by any means, but algebra equations are like fun abstract puzzles, really cool. One of these days I want to learn calculus just because.

·
Banned
573 Posts
I despise math class. A lot of the time, I use my intuition and creativity to come up with an answer that I feel is correct, but of course it's wrong. Long story short, I suck at math.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts