Personality Cafe banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Something interesting to notice is that the INFP represses the use of Te. I also suppressed when I had my problem. But after I had my '' new intellectual discovery '' I started to plan and put my ideas into practice. I had some detours but really was interested in following the path. I admire very ExTJ's and somehow do not care what they do to get ahead. It's weird, because before I hated and considered evil. But after many reflections and thoughts - as I said up there - just absorbed the reality that I met. I stopped wanting to change the world, to live in the world and show something interesting to the world. Free people, and make them be more questioning, as happened to me. But make no mistake, I have nothing against anyone change the world, just like talking and questioning the dream of people. I myself have many friends and idealistic love take them to adventures and adrenaline.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Through your childhood the people who you are around influence your personality. Once your brain is fully developed it is very difficult to change your personality. So yes, I believe it can change.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been studying MTBI for quite a few years now and my conclusion is that it is not possible to change type. I can give you a more detailed explanation why that is later if you want.

But first of all assuming you have it... get the idea that extraverted = social out of your head because it simply means to focus your energies towards your external self and that doesn't always mean people.

ENFP/INFP often seems very borderline because ENFPs are the most introverted extraverts. If you look at their functions (Ne-Fi-Te-Si)... Te (extraverted thinking) is the first one that requires interaction with people... yes Ne (extraverted intuition) is externally focused but its not people focused like say Fe (extraverted feeling) ...and Te doesn't even have to be in person as you can now debate logically via internet or texting etc. Therefore they have almost no natural drive to be social so its very difficult to indentify INFP/ENFP based on only their social interaction. And so it takes experience seeing enough different INFP/ENFP to indentify the subtle different between these types. For example... when discussing a new ideas ENFPs will become extremely energized almost to the extent of externally visable excitement where as INFPs would not be this way so much.

Also Because of they have no functions really needing social interaction, ENFP/INFP will be more social when they feel comfortable and good about themselves and less social when they feel unsafe and bad about themselves. But they don't switch between I and E when doing so.

I didn't want to say too much so if you have further questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I've been studying MTBI for quite a few years now and my conclusion is that it is not possible to change type. I can give you a more detailed explanation why that is later if you want.

But first of all assuming you have it... get the idea that extraverted = social out of your head because it simply means to focus your energies towards your external self and that doesn't always mean people.

ENFP/INFP often seems very borderline because ENFPs are the most introverted extraverts. If you look at their functions (Ne-Fi-Te-Si)... Te (extraverted thinking) is the first one that requires interaction with people... yes Ne (extraverted intuition) is externally focused but its not people focused like say Fe (extraverted feeling) ...and Te doesn't even have to be in person as you can now debate logically via internet or texting etc. Therefore they have almost no natural drive to be social so its very difficult to indentify INFP/ENFP based on only their social interaction. And so it takes experience seeing enough different INFP/ENFP to indentify the subtle different between these types. For example... when discussing a new ideas ENFPs will become extremely energized almost to the extent of externally visable excitement where as INFPs would not be this way so much.

Also Because of they have no functions really needing social interaction, ENFP/INFP will be more social when they feel comfortable and good about themselves and less social when they feel unsafe and bad about themselves. But they don't switch between I and E when doing so.

I didn't want to say too much so if you have further questions feel free to ask.
I always liked to talk about my ideas with people. Always like to argue with them and cut the the line of her arguments to argue my point of view. I am trying to stop it anymore but always in me. Indoors'm super hyper, I have to focus my mind on something - is in play, chat with friends online, read books on philosophy or psychology, or watching movies, series and anime. Rarely have I need to put my feelings on paper. Put more philosophical ideas. Only it's quite rare. As I said up there, I can not find connections between good and evil, or what is right. My mind always leads me to question what makes me come at the conclusion of paradox and accept things as they are.
Before it was very idealistic, but that has changed. Before I liked to write about my feelings, but that has changed. What has not changed is that I really like to identify with the characters.
What do you think I am then? I felt the change in me, I feel the explosion of thoughts. I felt changing expectations and talk about what I thought '' wrong ''. I felt the need to go out into the world and venture out.

I do not understand why they feel that the functions are innate. I believe that the process of psychological adaptation and interest in change may be yes. Is part of cognitive development, no?

·
Banned
7,275 Posts
Holy shit, I think I have just realized that much of what I thought was maybe depressive and "existential" was just my Fi trying to sort through things. :/

I think I really hate being an INFP at times; at first when I discovered the MBTI what my type was I thought it was great, but now I'm not really sure why but I don't know if I like being one anymore all that much. I feel like I don't know who I am half of the time, and all my parts don't fit together properly.

I'm just sick of being seen as this overly 'deep' introverted person that more often then not makes others uncomfortable because my fi will focus or zoom in on things that people don't really like, or are for some reason 'taboo' but of course, I like those things because it's more interesting to me then 'small talk'

I wish I was normal sometimes.

Also, about type not changing; that's probably true to an extent, but maybe the OP originally mistested as an INFP when he was an ENFP instead. I would say, they were still an ENFP all along. It's kind of just one or the other.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I still can not understand how the time does not change. I've heard of people who took the test and after 10 years and demonstrated several changes. Jung wrote when he was very careful to say that. I believe that the type can change after a psychological problem / trauma and intense psychological adaptation as you're not used to - being the force, or over time. I have known good examples of changes and I can not accept this much is relative.
Anyway, I do not understand people who believe totally without even trying, if not to go through various problems and situations, just read what is written and think: 'Wow! makes sense! It really is like that! ''
Jung did a great job, but we all know that is not complete and lack something else. But I admit that it is a great base, but nothing absolute.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Anyway, it seems likely always been a ENFP that went through a trauma and lived a good part of adolescence trying to loosen and whining for failing to fully have the life I wanted - which led me to Fi and turned me almost a totally idealistic - to really accept and find out how the world works and venturing into this beautiful world.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I suffered from social anxiety in my teens and was, for all intents and purposes, a 'social introvert'.

I never changed types though, throughout my whole life, I've been an ENFP. Just because I was more quiet during a certain stage (specifically the one where I found my Fi to kick in and make me more sensitive to everything...) doesn't mean I was an Introvert, cognitively speaking.

Type can only change when your brain undergoes drastic trauma. Through, say, physical accidents that affect your brain, heavy drug-abuse,...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You can't really "become" a different type. That being said, a lot of ENFPs suffer from shyness. I have bad social anxiety and spend most of my time alone, so I mistyped as an INFP.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I still can not understand how the time does not change. I've heard of people who took the test and after 10 years and demonstrated several changes. Jung wrote when he was very careful to say that. I believe that the type can change after a psychological problem / trauma and intense psychological adaptation as you're not used to - being the force, or over time. I have known good examples of changes and I can not accept this much is relative.
Anyway, I do not understand people who believe totally without even trying, if not to go through various problems and situations, just read what is written and think: 'Wow! makes sense! It really is like that! ''
Jung did a great job, but we all know that is not complete and lack something else. But I admit that it is a great base, but nothing absolute.
I have to agree that you can 'change types' according to the traditional MBTI test which says I'm an ENTP (functions Ne-Ti-Fe-Si) therefore indicating that I have no I,S,F,orJ. But according to my functions you will see I (and everyone) have all of those things F=Fe, S=Si, I=Ti&Si, J=Fe&Si. If you don't follow this explaination don't fret... blame the MBTI which doesn't explain these correlations well at all. I learned them through futher study.

In fact this 'type change' happened to me too personally. First time I took the test I got ENFJ. Looking at my functions here for a second I was raised in a family of almost all Fe's therefore I developed my third function Fe quite a bit more than maybe an average ENTP would. Therefore I came across to many people and as a feeler and I had even developed so many 'feeling' values myself that I tested as one. Am I an ENFJ though because I developed my third function? No. I'm just an ENTP with a well-developed feeling function. Now I am in graduate school and I've also been through some life experiences which have cause me to withdraw my Fe quite a bit and use more Ti so I come across much more as a thinker now. Does this mean I changed from F to T? No it simply means that my Ti function has become more dominant in my current situation. And actually my Ti is so dominant right now that I'll test as an INTP.

I might seem like its possible to change because everyone is really all 8 letters of the MBTI but only 4 of the 8 functions. For example my feelings are extraverted (Fe) and an not introverted (Fi) and in my experience no matter how much I hate being and Fe sometimes and have tried to actively change that I can't do it. That is more of what I mean by you cannot change personality.

In short you have one personality with four functions that does not change. However, based on 'things' you can further develop and prefer one over others which would appear to be a change in personality.

All the MBTI really tells you is the 4 functions you have and in what order they naturally tend to be dominant. However, since you can prefer one function over sometimes, the natural order of dominance part can be hard to guess correctly. But notice that in all three results ENTP, INTP, ENFJ that I have tested... every single one of them has the same 4 functions just in a different order.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I have to agree that you can 'change types' according to the traditional MBTI test which says I'm an ENTP (functions Ne-Ti-Fe-Si) therefore indicating that I have no I,S,F,orJ. But according to my functions you will see I (and everyone) have all of those things F=Fe, S=Si, I=Ti&Si, J=Fe&Si. If you don't follow this explaination don't fret... blame the MBTI which doesn't explain these correlations well at all. I learned them through futher study.

In fact this 'type change' happened to me too personally. First time I took the test I got ENFJ. Looking at my functions here for a second I was raised in a family of almost all Fe's therefore I developed my third function Fe quite a bit more than maybe an average ENTP would. Therefore I came across to many people and as a feeler and I had even developed so many 'feeling' values myself that I tested as one. Am I an ENFJ though because I developed my third function? No. I'm just an ENTP with a well-developed feeling function. Now I am in graduate school and I've also been through some life experiences which have cause me to withdraw my Fe quite a bit and use more Ti so I come across much more as a thinker now. Does this mean I changed from F to T? No it simply means that my Ti function has become more dominant in my current situation. And actually my Ti is so dominant right now that I'll test as an INTP.

I might seem like its possible to change because everyone is really all 8 letters of the MBTI but only 4 of the 8 functions. For example my feelings are extraverted (Fe) and an not introverted (Fi) and in my experience no matter how much I hate being and Fe sometimes and have tried to actively change that I can't do it. That is more of what I mean by you cannot change personality.

In short you have one personality with four functions that does not change. However, based on 'things' you can further develop and prefer one over others which would appear to be a change in personality.

All the MBTI really tells you is the 4 functions you have and in what order they naturally tend to be dominant. However, since you can prefer one function over sometimes, the natural order of dominance part can be hard to guess correctly. But notice that in all three results ENTP, INTP, ENFJ that I have tested... every single one of them has the same 4 functions just in a different order.
I understand your point. Really makes sense.
Anyway, I read once that extroverts seek power socializing and connecting with social and introverted things seek energy in absolute insight or concetando with himself. In my childhood I hated to be alone, but when I suffered a trauma I began to be afraid to get involved with people even wanting. This resulted in me a great isolation. Even trying to socialize me I was just running away, because he felt he was not ready for it. I fled to my imaginary world where everything was beautiful, I fled to my friends the internet, flee to philosophy and anime until I reached the conclusion that wanted to give life to my social character who both wanted to have. Well, I've become what I wanted, but still seek more. What I mean is that the trauma made me very, very similar to what I read about INFP's on the internet, but it seems I've always had an inner ENFP. Anyway, I felt very INFP in my teens. My Fi developed and turned me into a person without identity, so I tried to get her. In fact in my childhood I always tried to imitate some people to get rid of loneliness and being accepted. Anyway, it seems that what I did to destroy my phobia was the mask I wanted to be, and turn me into a being better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well I don't really know enough to determine whether you are ENFP or INFP. But like I said its my understanding that you have a set of unchangable functions and natural preference for those functions making you (in your natural state) some ABCD personality for now and all time. You will have to, in time, figure out what that naturally preferred state is as you are doing now.

Oh and I forgot to mention I'm actually a twin and my brother is an ENFP. I used to be more social before I withdrew my Fe and he is very non-social as well. So it doesn't really make sense to me that if extraverted =need people that many ENFP/ENTP with Ne dominant functions would withdraw this way. That's why I say extravert means you draw energy from external sources and not necessarily from people. I think extravert = social/people is incorrect.

For example an ENTP (inventor) like myself might be energized by taking some real-life problem and inventing some item to solve it. Being extraverted (Ne) here I believe means taking an external problem and manipulating the external world to bring satisfaction. In that sense it seems more reasonable to me why we would withdraw when relationships are tough because we can just go do our Ne thing by ourself. Where an ESFJ for example has an extraverted feeling (Fe) deals with trying to understanding others feelings. Well no duh they are so much more extraverted than us... can't do that one without people now can you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I fled to my imaginary world where everything was beautiful, I fled to my friends the internet, flee to philosophy and anime
On another note I've been into anime a lot lately myself and have started to get my brother interested in it too. What anime do you like? Some of my favorites so far have been Attack on Titan, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Code Geass, Steins Gate, and Death Note.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It seems like you're really happy with who you are right now. That's awesome! :)
I feel like I've definitely made a transition to a more extroverted self as well, mostly because I just saw so many benefits in socializing with others. There was an experiential learning and knowledge only present in the narratives and stories of people which could not be garnered from disconnected media.
That, I think, pushed me to be a more social self.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
On another note I've been into anime a lot lately myself and have started to get my brother interested in it too. What anime do you like? Some of my favorites so far have been Attack on Titan, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Code Geass, Steins Gate, and Death Note.
I like anime with a more psychological and philosophical tone. Here my favorites: Durarara, Death Note, Psycho Pass, Monster, Berserk, Zankyou on Terror, Hunter x Hunter, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Rurouni Kenshin.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts