Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys . So I wanted to know how you guys feel about this . Would it work fine? I am saying this because for about 6 months I have been boxing training. However due to my personality ( have never been considered athletic) I feel that alot of stuff just doesnt fit. For example if I am boxing against someone and I knock them out or even hurt them to badly I start to feel empathetic over them, and let them slip . On the contrary if they question my ideas or taunt me they will see my wrath. Plus another thing is that I tend to fluctuate my performance according to how I feel . I mean I kind of like it , and it has helped me alot with my personal development but I jsut want to know some other pros/ cons of athletic infp's in general .

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Hello guys . So I wanted to know how you guys feel about this . Would it work fine? I am saying this because for about 6 months I have been boxing training. However due to my personality ( have never been considered athletic) I feel that alot of stuff just doesnt fit. For example if I am boxing against someone and I knock them out or even hurt them to badly I start to feel empathetic over them, and let them slip . On the contrary if they question my ideas or taunt me they will see my wrath. Plus another thing is that I tend to fluctuate my performance according to how I feel . I mean I kind of like it , and it has helped me alot with my personal development but I jsut want to know some other pros/ cons of athletic infp's in general .

What do you guys think?

I practice Martial Arts (TaeKwonDo specifically), and I personally find enjoyment out of it.

The way I see it (once again a personal view), I work with my sparring partner and increase or decrease my intensity based off of how they are going, because we are there to learn and sharpen our techniques, not beat the shit out of each other or divide ourselves into winners and losers.

That being said, I sometimes can get caught up in the heat of a moment and be a bit more aggressive than usual in sparring because a well placed technique still hurts like hell when it lands and/or your partner lacks self control. On the other end of the spectrum, some days I'm so tired I know I don't give my all while sparring and stay either on defense the entire time or get kicked around a little bit.

Boxing however, I'm sure is different beast though.

More competitive perhaps where you have to be more on the offense and aggressive?

If that isn't you and it doesn't fit, then it may just not fit for you. By no means however am I saying to use that as an excuse to quit or anything like that. I think quitting would only be for after you really reviewed what you want out of yourself and found boxing completely incompatible.

If you're not boxing competitively and are only doing so for exercise/enjoyment, then just enjoy it. Realize you don't have to take it so seriously in the ring, and hopefully, your partner will be understanding and you can work on improvement rather than worrying about each other.

One of the risks of things such as Boxing or Martial Arts is that you may hurt someone or be hurt by someone. Hopefully never intentionally, but the risk of harm is an element in such systems and can't be avoided no matter how many protective measures you take.

That's a way to learn though.

I mean, always be as safe as possible, but how do you learn to time a block or guard correctly? Getting hit a couple of times seems to do the trick in sparring! :laughing:

I also feel I should add, since I forgot to mention this earlier, that I truly see no correlation of any kind between personality types and athletic/Martial Arts interests.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with being an INFP boxer.

Your instinct to not hurt someone beyond a certain point is normal. When not seriously threatened or extremely angry (someone has killed a loved one, etc) you'll get an impulse to care not continue. Only complete cowards and villains do not get this impulse.

I'm more concerned that you're interested in a sport that involves blows to the head. There's no threshold as to how much impact a human being can take before damage is done. Research shows that most amateur boxers only have minimal damage but why the hell would you want any damage???

I'm of the opinion that the head should never be struck, even lightly or with protection, and I'd reconsider continuing with boxing just based on that.

·
Registered
622 Posts

What do you guys think?
You will be fine, tell your trainer whats going on he should be able to get you past it, in the ring passion is only part of it, your training will come out when it's time through muscle memory. Develop a cold heart in the ring and above all else trust yourself, it is good to show mercy at times, and in my humble opinion being able to finish a fight and win without completely mauling your opponent is a sign of technical expertise and is nothing to scoff at, out boxing your opponent is pretty high level stuff.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,331 Posts
Just do it man. I love boxing, and if it weren't for a physical disability I'd be boxing myself. It's a beautiful sport. I've seen Mike Tyson, one of the greatest boxers typed as INFP before, so yeah I'd say it's possible. Don't let your personality define what you can and can't do. And the point is to hurt your opponent and knock them out so don't let that fuck with your head. He's not gonna show you any mercy, so don't show him any.

On a sidenote, check out Joyce Carol Oates' book, On Boxing. It's a great read and I think you'd really enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I thought about taking up martial arts recently. Never done it before in my life. I wondered if it would increase my confidence, though i'm not really the sporty type either so have no idea what kind of effect it will have on me.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I don't think I could do that, personally... psychologically I don't think I could punch anyone.

My Dad took me to learn Judo when I was a child, and I just didn't "get" then how fighting someone was a good thing, let alone something I'd want to do, and I just couldn't do it, too violent! I lasted about three weeks...

But if it's something that you love then your personality type shouldn't stand in the way, I wish you the best with it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts