Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

INFP First Real Post ( this is a continuation from my intro post).

Did the MB test and then after lots of research came across this forum and hope to gain a lot of insights from you all.

I started off life as an investment banker , worked around the world then walked out one day to the amazement of my friends and co workers. Walked the earth. Did an Art Degree as a mature student ( Distinction). Worked in a factory ( Got the first employee of the month award ever haha!), studied photography (as an amateur have had work shown in a Museum, The Association of Photographers in London and also been in the best of show at the International Photography Awards in NY).

Do i have the traits of an INFP ? :)

Still struggling with what to do with my life ! I enjoy photography but dont know if i can do it as a career - even though i have won some major awards as an amateur.I Have all the traits of an INFP but unfortunately look like a Russian Hitman - so people take me as a tough loner rather than a sensitive soul.

I am looking to have a crack at photography again and will see if i can make some money from it. I have had a lot of interest to do wedding photography - which is very good money. But I always make excuses beause 1) I dont really like attending weddings 2) I need to identify with with everything i do ( otherwise i feel like a fake - which is why i left banking ).

i always wanted to be a combat photographer - but getting older now and am more aware of my mortality.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I once spend a whole day making my resume, applying for jobs etc. and felt that I had done a great deal of good to myself and that made me feel content.

Later that day I was driving on my scooter downtown when a woman was crossing the road. We both stopped and I gestured the woman to move on, so she smiled and moved on and that small gesture made me feel better than anything good I can do to myself.

That made me decide that I want to be a psycho therapist and the more I read about psycho therapy, the more I realize that it's the job suited best for me; psychology and psychiatry is more about keeping an objective distance to the client, while in psycho therapy it's all about soul-contact and having some sort of relationship to the client. And it's more about helping people with existential crisis than diagnosed, psychological trouble.

But in short, I need to help others in order to feel good. Helping myself makes me feel good, but not nearly thoroughly enough...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Psychotherapy really does sound interesting. I love learning, but I hate school, so I have thought of other alternatives. I think I would do really well as a truck driver or factory worker. I'd get to work alone (big plus!), with lots of time for daydreaming. In my off-time, I would write my fantasies into books.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Leaving the job of a banker to study Art and photography when you were already (presumably set in stone) with your career seems pretty INFP to me. I couldn't imagine living through life as something like a banker, where everything I did was only motivated by social status and salary with no self expression or passion, or at least helping others. I think an ideal job for any INFP type is one where he can express himself in a sort of passion while helping people in the long run. The passion for the job will sustain itself and the satisfaction of helping others will fuel the motivation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have an interest in wedding photography but don't really like attending weddings. What are you interested in about photographing weddings. My older sister is ENFP and she was doing wedding photography and absolutely loved it. But she gets energy from being around people.

Maybe you can combine Russian Hitman and wedding photographer. Infiltrate weddings and secretly take pictures of everything. Take out the other photographer(s) and hide his body in the janitorial closet. Early the next morning slip a disk of the pictures under the door giving them an address and a time to meet you alone to buy the prints. No cops, no funny business.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Investment banking? Damn. Sounds lucrative, I should do that for a year, then just retire.

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
sorry guys for the lack of reply - i didnt have email notification on . i actually came about the thread doing a google search for INFP wedding photographer !

Currently on a photographic holiday - although not taking many pictures ! Still thinking about what to do with my life.go figure.

Regarding the wedding photography question raised in the thread . I have been avoiding weddings because i dont like weddings and wouldnt enjoy being surrounded by all these people i dont know ! pretty much like why i avoid going to parties .

I have had interested people contact my through my photography website - but as i said i am not really interested although the money is very good. Thinking about doing at least one to see if i hate it or not .

Just did a holland code test . Anyone aware of this ? The results are similar to Myers Briggs.

Still waiting for that lottery win in the meantime.....

sorry a few people have sent me messages - i cant actually reply as i dont have enough posts at this time ! bummer

maybe u can ask the question in this thread if ur still following it ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Read the book "The Forever War" It's a novel written by a combat reporter in the war in Afghanistan. Not quite the same thing, but around those lines. It's a very interesting read and will give you an idea of some of the things you would encounter if you did happen to choose that path. :]

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Hi Guys,

INFP First Real Post ( this is a continuation from my intro post).

Did the MB test and then after lots of research came across this forum and hope to gain a lot of insights from you all.

I started off life as an investment banker , worked around the world then walked out one day to the amazement of my friends and co workers. Walked the earth. Did an Art Degree as a mature student ( Distinction). Worked in a factory ( Got the first employee of the month award ever haha!), studied photography (as an amateur have had work shown in a Museum, The Association of Photographers in London and also been in the best of show at the International Photography Awards in NY).

Do i have the traits of an INFP ? :)

Still struggling with what to do with my life ! I enjoy photography but dont know if i can do it as a career - even though i have won some major awards as an amateur.I Have all the traits of an INFP but unfortunately look like a Russian Hitman - so people take me as a tough loner rather than a sensitive soul.

I am looking to have a crack at photography again and will see if i can make some money from it. I have had a lot of interest to do wedding photography - which is very good money. But I always make excuses beause 1) I dont really like attending weddings 2) I need to identify with with everything i do ( otherwise i feel like a fake - which is why i left banking ).

i always wanted to be a combat photographer - but getting older now and am more aware of my mortality.

Any ideas?

I think it's pretty cool you look like a Russian hitman...

tell me, does this look like an artist to you?

it's Picasso, and he looks like a pretty rugged individual, if you know what i mean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I take your point. thanks for that ! BTW picasso was only 5ft 4 ! I am nearly one feet bigger than him.

Maybe i need to get a pair of picassos swimming trunks :)

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I take your point. thanks for that ! BTW picasso was only 5ft 4 ! I am nearly one feet bigger than him.

Maybe i need to get a pair of picassos swimming trunks :)
haha yeah, they're badass :cool:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I think hitman is a viable option.

Noone would suspect an INFP.

Lots of perks; free travel, accommodation, entertainment packages, ability to shape the world politically for better or worse.

unless you're not contracted.

Do hitmen have unions? you don't want to be taken advantage of.

Reactions: Teigue

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
This sounds pretty INFP, except for the fact that you've achieved some measure of success at everything you've tried your hand at - ahahaha. I only wish that was MY problem :tongue: .

Your quandary calls to mind this piece of advice from the INFP growth page at personalitypage.com:

http://www.personalitypage.com/html/INFP_per.html said:
INFPs who have developed their Extraverted iNtuition to the extent that they can perceive the world about them objectively and quickly will find that they enjoy these very special gifts:

- They will quickly understand different situations, and quickly grasp new concepts. They will find that they're able to do anything that they put their mind to, although they may not find it personally satisfying. Things may seem to come easily to these INFPs. Although they're able to conquer many different kinds of tasks and situations, these INFPs will be happiest doing something that seems truly important to them. Although they may find that they can achieve the "mainstream" type of success with relative ease, they are not likely to find happiness along that path, unless they are living their lives with authenticity and depth.

Reactions: chang81

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This sounds pretty INFP, except for the fact that you've achieved some measure of success at everything you've tried your hand at - ahahaha. I only wish that was MY problem :tongue: .

Your quandary calls to mind this piece of advice from the INFP growth page at personalitypage.com:
the quote sounds familiar !. i am just wondering if the photography is another one of these career dead ends. I really enjoy photography but am struggling with the lack of structure and also the networking element. I am in the process of contacting a lot of NGO;s in the region and hope the altruistic nature will help me with those issues.

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
32 Posts
I totally get where your coming from. I was a programmer for about 10 years for financial systems and did alot of traveling and working with banks, only to leave and go back to art school.

I also have been doing photography for a number of years and have recently been trying to get more into weddings/engagements. I did my first engagement last week for a couple of friends. It went ok, but I still need to get used to posing people, which is something I've never done. I tried to memorize poses, but had trouble remembering them :( I did like the experience however, and it feels like something that I should explore.

I love art school, but don't know how far I will go with it. As an older student, I feel that I need to really get going if I want to make photography my career. I want to assist other photographers to get some experience working with clients.

You might want to email Eric Laurits @ www.Eric Laurits.com
He's an INFP from Boston who is also a wedding photographer and has had success.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
the quote sounds familiar !. i am just wondering if the photography is another one of these career dead ends. I really enjoy photography but am struggling with the lack of structure and also the networking element. I am in the process of contacting a lot of NGO;s in the region and hope the altruistic nature will help me with those issues.
That always seems to be the roughest part for an IxFP artist. As a freelance graphic artist, I sympathize!
No advice though, sorry :tongue:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I want to have a good job to support myself, at the same time the thought of working in an office 9-5 till I am 55, and staying in the same home living in the same city for my entire life makes me feel tired and depressed! I think I will have this inner conflict of wanting constant change and yet stablility for my entire life. I will be fine with it in a few years though;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts