Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of a big open space for a house to live in? Are you more comfortable with this or with living in a smaller home? Personally, I really like being comfortable and cozy so being in a wide open space makes me nervous. I don't really like clutter because I have anxiety but the things around me almost give me comfort like hugs. The walls around me that are small and not huge and open make me feel very safe. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'd like a bigger house. So that I can take in lots of big dogs and fat cats :laughing:
If I don't do that though, then yeah I'd want a smaller house :D It'll be nice and so full of warmth. Size of house should always be relative to the number of people living in it though xD Either way, I'm not so used to open spaces. It'll look nice, but even though my room looks nice after I clean it, I end up creating a huge disorganized mess all over again anyways! xD Open spaces look way too empty, like something should be there to fill it up!

·
Banned
573 Posts
Well, I am comfortable with large spaces and all, but I would probably find a small room for me to gather myself up in. And being the huge dreamer that I am, I see myself in a bite-size mansion with secret tunnels, passageways, and other cool features! I really dislike massive, never-ending areas like the deep ocean or OUTTER SPACE! :shocked:

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Personally, I really like being comfortable and cozy so being in a wide open space makes me nervous. I don't really like clutter because I have anxiety but the things around me almost give me comfort like hugs. The walls around me that are small and not huge and open make me feel very safe. Anyone else experience this?
Yep, I'm the cozy type too. I like small-ish quaint homes, with lots of cabinets, cushions everywhere, dark corners and narrow hallways and corridors. I wouldn't enjoy having a gigantic livingroom or bedroom. But nothing ridiculously small either, because then it's suffocating. I like to dance around my home, and I work out indoors too, so it's important that there's enough space for that, but I would never feel comfortable living in a mansion or castle by myself. If I lived with 20 other people in said castle, that'd be perfectly fine, because they can fill the place up with their stuff. It's like I'm very aware of how much space my body and my stuff occupy, and I want a place where me + my things fit perfectly, no more no less. I don't like empty spaces, and if I think I can't fill a place enough (cause I own very little things) I'm uncomfortable with all the space. If I want empty space I'll go outdoors.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I would like to live in one of those big, old Victorian homes with lots of windows(the ones where you can sit on the sill)secret passages, hallways, doorways and a vast secret garden that has many paths leading to different areas of a forest. I'd like vast spaces so I can have a lot of room decorate and explore.

2,781 Posts
I like a small, cozy home..someday I will have a cabin in the woods. And it has to be an old cabin with a fireplace. And I don't like big open spaces either, but I do like to be surrounded by the things I like so my house tends to be a little cluttered, but it is organized.

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
I suspect I may have bias, because I'm haunted by living in a dull modern British house, and British houses are TINY. It gets sickening eventually. If you live in any American on European house, you have no idea how little house you get for your money here.

Honestly, I quite like the idea of a nice apartment in a pleasant not-too-crowded Bohemian inner suburb, but I suspect that's my youth talking. Strangely two years ago I liked the idea of a remote house a lot more.

I know what you mean about a wide open space; I can't imagine living in a huge house. You can never really make a huge house your 'own'...too much space, you can never decorate it or fill it properly. I would be very uncomfortable.
But also, not too small. I'd like a cosy place, but not small; as a general rule, I should be able to run in it. Not run very far, obviously, but still. So, a nice medium-sized abode will do.

I suppose I'd like to live in a medium-sized house. Bright, spacious and modern, but not big. Not too minimalist or modern, either, I like my architecture not too adventurous because I'm just that dull.
Room enough to leave clutter and still have space to move around easily, but not too much space so there are big gaps. A house of that description which is within easy reach of nice city things but backs onto a forest, is my dream.
But it needs a basement. Scratch that, it needs a long mysterious network of tunnels.
Rules: it should be big enough to run through and dance energetically in without knocking anything over. Once it reaches that size, no bigger. I suppose I could deal with overly big rooms, they can be charming and if decorated right don't seem empty, but I can't stand surplus or empty rooms. It's haunting.

·
Premium Member
15,326 Posts
Small home, easy to pay off, shed for storage, HUGE fenced in backyard for the dogs, never ever in The City, always in the country. Stain glass on some of the windows... HUGE library. Good security system. Waterfall out back. Maybe a koi pond. GREEN all over the place.

Example of stained glass:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I still live with my parents and when I move out it will be to an apartment for a while. However, I do dream of having a smaller to medium sized house of my own eventually with a sweet garden and, above all, I would like to have a nice larger sized yard with a high up deck and a nice view to enjoy.

One of these days!

Also, I do not enjoy flat areas. It is so much nicer to have hills around so one can see farther.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I love the small cozy idea, of like a cabin in the woods or something like the teachers house from matilda, buttttttttttt.....

My favorite room in my parents house is this big wide/long room with a tall ceiling and windows covering 2 of the walls, and that feeling of openness is really nice, and when I sit in there it definitely lightens my mood. I also notice I'm happier when I draw my curtains and let in light and when my room is clean, otherwise I get kind of claustrophobic.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I have to add some things. Someone mentioned having passage ways, and that made me think of the movie, the secret garden and I would love a house like that but I would need to have one or two rooms that are filled with enough stuff so that it does not feel or seem like a huge house but rather a very comfortable and warm place.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sorry for intruding where I dont belong, but I feel the need to contribute.
I would want any of 3 types. First, a small cozy room, or house, so I can plan and maximize potential of every inch of the room, most likely a studio or room. Secondly, a middle sized house, with all the furniture hidden in the walls and flooring by some genius design and architecture, so it would look small when all the furniture is hidden, but then medium size when the furniture is pulled out. This would most probably be an apartment. Lastly, a mansion with open space and exposed furniture, many unused rooms for all purposes, and various secret passages, dungeouns and basement libraries. In short, efficient spaces, somewhat hidden from plain sight, idealistic, I know, I know.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Well my *ideal* house would be something like Youtuber OrganizedLikeJen's house, except decorated slightly differently (still the basic traditional Pottery Barn type of furniture, but fewer knicknacks and random belongings in general...yes I genuinely like Pottery Barn, don't laugh at me lol). So basically a large but not overly McMansiony house with lots of light and traditional furnishings, that is clean and organized and cozy. A lot of times in these "ideal living space" threads people post pictures from design magazines that are all minimalist and perfectly put-together and it's like, ok maybe that's nice to look at, but to live in? I want to live in a home, not a showroom.

Ok, maybe it would be fun to live in a McMansion though (this video is a fascinating sociological study in itself):

I would not furnish it like that (it looks like a hotel lobby) but it would be so much fun to have all those random extra rooms and hallways and random mid-corridor snack bars and stuff. You could totally hide from everyone! And it has a POOL with waterfalls! I live in the NYC area so I barely know anybody who has a pool...I told my fiance that if he ever wants me to move to a different part of the country, he will have to convince me by letting us move to a house with a pool. I have never lived in an actual house in my life either, just apartments. Basically I want a large house to hide from everyone and to feel like I am really part of society instead of on its fringes, how I have always felt. *points to type 6w7 Enneagram description*

Ok but realistically I will probably never have a huge house unless I happen to move somewhere else in the U.S., since a) I will probably never make more than 100K a year, b) even a medium-sized house is expensive where I live, c) my fiance, the libertarian who wants to become financially independent, really hates the idea of home ownership and having to maintain a house because to him it is an emblem of his enslavement to The Man, and d) who needs a house that big anyway, unless you want to live with your entire extended family? As long as my home is neat, clean, organized, comfortable, and furnished in an aesthetically pleasing and livable way, I don't mind much.

Although right now I live in a room in an apartment with roommates with no real furniture, and our main design element is giant blue plastic storage boxes, so it's a long way to go.

Also I would not want to live in the country because I'm terrified of serial killers. I want to live just outside a city so it's an easy commute to somewhere with culture and things to do but I don't actually have to live in the center of all the stress that comes along with city life.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
Sorry for intruding where I dont belong, but I feel the need to contribute.
I would want any of 3 types. First, a small cozy room, or house, so I can plan and maximize potential of every inch of the room, most likely a studio or room. Secondly, a middle sized house, with all the furniture hidden in the walls and flooring by some genius design and architecture, so it would look small when all the furniture is hidden, but then medium size when the furniture is pulled out. This would most probably be an apartment. Lastly, a mansion with open space and exposed furniture, many unused rooms for all purposes, and various secret passages, dungeouns and basement libraries. In short, efficient spaces, somewhat hidden from plain sight, idealistic, I know, I know.
Minimalistic!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'd definitely prefer a smaller one. But I wonder where I'd fit all the books...

I'd like it small so I can't lose things and because if it was big there would be absolutely no way for it to be clean and organized... But also, I do feel more comfortable for the most part in smaller homes I think...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts