Personality Cafe banner

Are you a gut type? Do you feel a lot of Anger?

• INFP type 8, yes, I feel a lot of anger.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • INFP type 8, no, I do not feel a lot of anger.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFP type 9, yes, I feel a lot of anger.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • INFP type 9, no, I do not feel a lot of anger.

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • INFP type 1, yes, I feel a lot of anger.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • INFP type 1, no, I do not feel a lot of anger.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Not an INFP or gut type, or don't know, or other

Votes: 7 13.2%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few things I would like to know from other INFPs:

o_O Are there actually 8 or 1 (Enneagram) type INFPs here? Seems like that would be a basic contradiction of personality.

How many 9s are there?

Supposedly, the basic emotion that Enneagram gut types feel as they start to move away from their sense of self is anger. If you are an 8, 9, or 1 INFP, do you feel a lot of anger? That also doesn't seem necessarily to fit what one imagines an INFP being like.

Supposedly, here is how the gut types are supposed to deal with anger:
8 - embraces anger, uses it in attempts to maintain power.
9 - denies anger to maintain peace.
1 - channels anger to maintain perfection.

Does that sound like you?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, I'm a 1w9 (I scored a tie for second between 9 and 3, so that's sort of open for interpretation) and INFP - though I'm very balanced between P and J tendencies. No, I don't feel a lot of anger, but I did all the time in my younger days.

Yes, this sounds like me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd need you to draw the correlation you're seeing between the MBTI (INFP) and Enneagram (Gut Triad) first. For I don't believe there is much correlation that I have seen as they both work in different focuses.
By general statistics, I believe more INFP's are 4's then 9's.

I also suggest starting this with the Enneagram. A lot of the people have difficulty embracing the Enneagram.

Anyways:

"Seems like that would be a basic contradiction of personality."
That is the contradiction that the Enneagram 9 deals with, the pull of both sides. Expressing or repressing the anger, for their focus is, I suppose, more to remain at peace.
The conflict with the 9 also is that it seems to be unlikely to fit in the guy type. The Enneagram 9 also has influences from every other Enneatype, as the Wisdom of the Enneagram said, 'they are the crown'.
Let's look at it in process:
As in the gut, thinking, and image triad, each type within the triad expresses the energy extremely differently. As you mayhaps are confused by, how can a 1 and moreso a 9 have anger - and for an INFP?
But looking at the other triads, many may think the 7 is the least likely thinking type, and the 2 and 4 use image vastly different by external and internal purposes.

"Supposedly, the basic emotion that Enneagram gut types feel as they start to move away from their sense of self is anger"
For the 9, I believe they move away from their self by burying their anger.
"If you are an 8, 9, or 1 INFP, do you feel a lot of anger?"
The Enneagram 9, and this goes along with the last answer, is actually quite unaware of their anger. Unless they are healthy.

I think the 9 process is in the inevitable confrontation with reality, he or she chooses not to do anything in reaction or action, for they wish to maintain a universal peace.
Typically other's will see a 9 as being at peace. And from the 9's I know, other's may use their peace and excavate it to the point of being abused. Which in process would cause anger that the 9 hides and continues to hide.

9's may seem the farthest from anger, and that is when a problem settles in. Because I believe the person eventually denies their needs from others of survival/thrival, yet hoard it in sloth.
Hence perhaps the thought of - passive-aggressive.

If you are confident you are a 9, then to identify the level of health you may see yourself in may reveal a piece of your confusion. As I think a 9 in the health levels of 6-9 deny their anger, therefore go down a path of denying all their feelings in effect. As one Enneagram writer related to inertia. And at the levels of 3-6, the 9 may be unaware of their anger.
For the denial of it is more unconscious, sense a 9 probably made the choice of peace (over needs) a long time beforehand, and the decision repeated itself.

Before I go to rest,
The Enneagram typically focuses on motivation and the obstacles to that motivation, while the MBTI typically focuses on the processes the person uses when learning/growing/healthy/unhealthy. If I may try to draw comparison: I have read others says the Enneagram is best for unhealthy while the MBTI is best for healthy.
And I think the Enneagram focuses on where you're moving through health/unhealth, while the MBTI is what you already have - but whether you're using it and using it for better or worse of your self is to ponder.

Edit:
I apologize I haven't been able to explain the difference between the 9 and 1 very well. Nor have I on the 9 having the conflict between the 8 and the 1. But more what I mean by that is that the 9 has the middle of the gut triad, as the 6 has the middle of the thinking triad. The 6 has a push-pull on whether to trust themselves or trust others.
The 9 has, perhaps, a push-pull of anger, one that they keep wholly within themselves. I believe I can still detect a 1's anger by their perfectionism and tensity, whereas an 8 it's obvious. It's harder to see it in a 9, unless they're about to explode. Which others have said, you don't want to be by a 9 then.
All I can say is the 9 would have both sides of the anger playing out in their head, to which they can not and do not make a decision to share. I don't think a 9 makes a decision to stay at peace, for they don't want to be aware that there is any conflict in the first place.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
"9 - denies anger to maintain peace."

I wouldn't say I deny it: more like I don't outwardly express it, unless I feel the situation calls for it.

If anything I deny/avoid conflict. Not to say that is any better~ :proud:

I don't feel a lot of anger over all... I feel a bit of frustration though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes, that sounds like me. I am a 9w1. Sometimes I hold things in because maintaining peace is so important to me. When anger comes, it doesn't last long...maybe because guilt comes and I don't like feeling angry. I often let a lot of things go.
A few things I would like to know from other INFPs:

o_O Are there actually 8 or 1 (Enneagram) type INFPs here? Seems like that would be a basic contradiction of personality.

How many 9s are there?

Supposedly, the basic emotion that Enneagram gut types feel as they start to move away from their sense of self is anger. If you are an 8, 9, or 1 INFP, do you feel a lot of anger? That also doesn't seem necessarily to fit what one imagines an INFP being like.

Supposedly, here is how the gut types are supposed to deal with anger:
8 - embraces anger, uses it in attempts to maintain power.

·
Registered
15,755 Posts
Let's see if I can explain because it can get a little complicated for me -- my preference is to not argue. And arguing equals anger for me. What I mean is, if I'm angry about something I'll usually argue.

I test 9w1 and sometimes tie with 5. I've had two tests I took say "we can't figure out if you are a 9 or a 5". I will argue with people I feel *safe* with if something needs to be said. I don't really like arguing too much on the internets anymore, for many reasons. I guess the bottom line for me is... I don't go looking for an argument or conflict or ways to stir it up.

I am just about 100% sure I'm not a 1w9 or 4.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a 9w1, but I think earlier in my life, I was much more strongly 1ish. Basically, yes, I recently realized that I was very angry most of the time, but I usually turn that energy into sadness or humor so I don't have to feel angry, because it's not really something I like to see in myself. I also do have a tendency to channel anger like a 1, though that's not my default now like it was when I was younger.

Reactions: jasonm and khayman

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used to be an angry person as well, but I can`t really tell what my enneagram was (if it was different at all). People do change as the years pass, sure, but who knows, in my case maybe it was just all the teenage drama. I`d like to think I matured since then, although...!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm a 9 and don't express much anger. I'm not sure if I'm a 9w1 or 9w8 though, I do not score very high on both type 1 and 8. I do feel frustrated sometimes, but appear to be the calmest person ever.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm an 9. I have ver little anger to begin with, and when i am angry with someone i will definitely deny it or at least down play it a ton.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My husband is an INFP 9, possibly with an 8 wing. :) I am (supposedly) an INFP also, and an 8w7 for sure.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
"9 - denies anger to maintain peace."

I wouldn't say I deny it: more like I don't outwardly express it, unless I feel the situation calls for it.

If anything I deny/avoid conflict. Not to say that is any better~ :proud:

I don't feel a lot of anger over all... I feel a bit of frustration though.
I really identify with this. I am a 9w1 and my natural tendency is to avoid conflict... too much conflict can make me physically ill... but avoiding conflict means I internalise it... the over analysis leads to worry, guilt and in some cases NeSi loops which can also make me sick...

In order to deal with this more effectively and healthily I researched conflict resolution techniques that played to my strengths. It helps a lot and although I still feel uncomfortable with conflict, I find that addressing issues as rationally and tactfully as possible leaves me in a more genuinely peaceful state afterwards.

Sort of like 15 -20 minutes of being intensely uncomfortable instead of hours/days feeling ruffled.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
I think some months ago I kind of exploded and since then I feel as if i'm more comfortable acknowledging that i'm pissed off, though I feel like i'm only beginning to learn to manage my anger better.
It was pretty repressed but I think after frustration towards opposing values just tipped me over and there has been a lot of ranting and raving since. Still pretty chill but lot of whinging & swearing about particular things that I struggle to accept XD

·
Registered
15,755 Posts
Let's see if I can explain because it can get a little complicated for me -- my preference is to not argue. And arguing equals anger for me. What I mean is, if I'm angry about something I'll usually argue.

I test 9w1 and sometimes tie with 5. I've had two tests I took say "we can't figure out if you are a 9 or a 5". I will argue with people I feel *safe* with if something needs to be said. I don't really like arguing too much on the internets anymore, for many reasons. I guess the bottom line for me is... I don't go looking for an argument or conflict or ways to stir it up.

I am just about 100% sure I'm not a 1w9 or 4.
I wrote that 4.5 years ago! :shocked:

Years later, I'm still trying to figure things out, but....

• I think I'm a 9ish who LOVES boundaries with people and in no way *merges*.
  • I think I'm a 9ish who knows exactly what I want.
  • I'm opinionated.
  • I don't like conflict but will argue with those I deem *safe*. (husband)
  • The best description of me I have ever read is the Self-Preservation Five here.
  • I'm not cynical, dark or an intellectual powerhouse.
  • I spent most of my life in the library reading or ignoring answering machine messages from people.
  • People *tax* me.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I wrote that 4.5 years ago! :shocked:

Years later, I'm still trying to figure things out, but....
Haha, me too:

I'm a 9 and don't express much anger. I'm not sure if I'm a 9w1 or 9w8 though, I do not score very high on both type 1 and 8. I do feel frustrated sometimes, but appear to be the calmest person ever.
My husband is an INFP 9, possibly with an 8 wing. :) I am (supposedly) an INFP also, and an 8w7 for sure.
INFP AND 8w7, wow :0

Reactions: narfae and Sily

·
Registered
771 Posts
My tritype is 459 so my gut type would fall on 9

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
INFP 4

Yes, i do feel a lot of anger

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm an INFP 1...seems like that is somewhat rare?

Yes. I'd say I try to keep my anger/perfectionistic tendencies to myself, although my close friends/family definitely see that side, and I am often holding them up to perfectionistic standards as well (they are lovely for putting up with me :p).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts