Personality Cafe banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm definitely an eye makeup person. I agree with it being more of an artistic expression thing rather than me 'fixing' my face :). (I will admit, though, that on my more insecure days I do tend to put a little (a lot) more on.) It's just another art form for me to master!

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Gonna share what may be an unpopular opinion here.

I have nothing at all against people wearing a lot of makeup, to the point where they may not even look like themselves anymore; I think it's a skill to be able to be so precise and detailed with it at times.

However the reason I always choose to keep it light (I've had a full face done maybe twice in almost 30 years solely for this reason,) is because I don't like it when I feel as though I'm giving people a false idea of what I actually look like. It's fine to use it as an art form. I just don't like when I feel as though people are hiding behind it to try to trick others into thinking their eyes are wide, or their lips are full, etc., etc. So for me, full face is something I only ever do if there's a super fancy occasion just so I can give the illusion that I put forth a lot of effort into my appearance just FOR that occasion.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don't wear makeup because I'm always touching my face or used to. My eyes water a lot. I tend to wipe my face with the back of my hand when I eat. I don't know how to apply it well.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i only do mascara, eyeliner and eyebrows, almost every day.
sometimes i'd put some lipstick but not much, it's either-either (classic, i know)

i never ever, even for special occasions, use foundations, powders, blush etc. having a layer of something all over the face is very uneasy.

i like my makeup routine in the morning, enjoy it even more than the actual result lol.
i like the classic, simple and elegant makeup of the 50s. no eyeshadow and other clown stuff

i honestly think the main problem is that women do not know what style is best suitable for their face and person. they push some look which is totally not good for them, or they abstain from makeup at all, because they just don't know what to do. you have to play first, to see what is most suitable. makeup is a tool to make you a bit more pretty and enhance the positive features we all have.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I really enjoy makeup, though I don't wear it every day.

I first got into it in middle school when I started collecting lip balms (anyone remember endless tubes of Lip Smackers?). There was a sparkly gemstone set that really did it for me, lol. Britney Spears was popular at the time and I loved her look of bronzed skin, golden hair, shimmery light eyeshadow, and light, glossy lips. My hair would go totally golden in the summer and I'd get tan just from playing outdoors so it was a cinch for me to recreate. As I got into high school I started doing more - foundation, concealer, primer, multiple eyeshadows, eyeliner, blush, powder, highlighter, the works. Oh, and this beautiful metallic burgundy liquid eyeliner that I LOVED. There were a few things I never got into... eyebrow anything, because my brows are naturally full and arched (not bragging, they're still a fluffy mess RN); waterlining, because OW; and lip liner and lipstick, because I didn't like the taste and dry feeling. But I loved playing with colors and shapes. I also have slowly transitioned a lot of my makeup over to eco-friendly and health-friendly brands. To this day I have a two huge eyeshadow palettes and a couple smaller ones, plenty of lip balms (I love tinted balm and stains), a core set of foundation/concealer/mascara/eyeliner/blush/powder, and lots of brushes.

I basically have 3 go-to looks at this point - first one is no makeup and/or just lip balm. That's my everyday when I'm not working, just to let my face breathe. I have a SPF moisturizer I use and that's pretty much it. As long as I get my eyebrows waxed and keep my lips moisturized then I feel pretty comfortable. Second one is a little foundation or concealer in spots as needed, powder, mascara, blush, a little shimmery beige eyeshadow, and lip balm, maybe tinted. That's for work, interviews, seeing my husband's family, brunch or dinner out with my family. Last of all is the full get-up - the party makeup! It's fun, but takes a long time. I save it mostly for holidays and weddings. I still tend to use pretty light colors. There's not a huge amount of contrast between my hair/eyes/skin so I look pretty ridiculous with dark, heavy looks or intense lip color. My favorite of all is to use lots of warm pinks and reds, doubling up my blush as an eyeshadow color too.

Btw recently there is a pink nose trend (using blush on the tip of your nose) and I don't really have any idea why it's a thing but I think it's ADORABLE. Lol.

I don't like it when I feel as though I'm giving people a false idea of what I actually look like.
I think that's totally fair. I always wondered how guys (or girls) felt when they finally saw someone they were dating or even just sleeping with who usually wears really heavy makeup totally bare-faced. I'd rather have people think "wow she cleans up nicely" than "dang she looks rough"!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I firmly believe that beauty comes from within. A healthy lifestyle, nutrition, and supplements (after a medical blood test) make your skin glow. It is true the skin is the mirror of the soul. After years of struggling with acne, I really pay attention to my body and the ingredients in make-up and cosmetic articles. I try to avoid "harsh" ingredients like alcohol in cleansers or ingredients that are known to cause cancer (for example talc) in make-up products. I'm a late bloomer and haven't been interested in makeup for a long time (I almost always went to school bare-faced or with little make-up even in the upper grades 😅 ) There are days when I don't wear makeup and can easily bring the garbage to the door or move around outside the house without feeling ashamed for my naked skin. At the same time, I now understand fully the importance of make-up. Did you know that the geishas of ancient Japan turned their make-up routine into a complex ritual when they prepared for their guests? I also see my make-up routine as a kind of ritual that relaxes me and puts me in the right mood for an event, work, or whatever. My make-up looks always natural and I love to emphasize my individual facial features and eyes. I'm a dark autumn type (dark brunette hair, dark green/hazel eyes, and fair skin). A bronzer, berry colors, deep warm reds, gold, deep green, jeans blue, peach works wonders on me. No make-up is complete without a little spritz of perfume. Perfume is like the invisible signature of a woman. It fascinates me because it's a form of art and can stir up powerful memories. My favorite perfumes are usually leather or floral fragrances.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
I really enjoy makeup, though I don't wear it every day.

I also have slowly transitioned a lot of my makeup over to eco-friendly and health-friendly brands. To this day I have a two huge eyeshadow palettes and a couple smaller ones, plenty of lip balms (I love tinted balm and stains), a core set of foundation/concealer/mascara/eyeliner/blush/powder, and lots of brushes.

I basically have 3 go-to looks at this point - first one is no makeup and/or just lip balm. That's my everyday when I'm not working, just to let my face breathe. I have a SPF moisturizer I use and that's pretty much it.

Second one is a little foundation or concealer in spots as needed, powder, mascara, blush,
a little shimmery beige eyeshadow, and lip balm, maybe tinted. That's for work, interviews, seeing my husband's family, brunch or dinner out with my family. Last of all is the full get-up - the party makeup! It's fun, but takes a long time. I save it mostly for holidays and weddings. I still tend to use pretty light colors. There's not a huge amount of contrast between my hair/eyes/skin so I look pretty ridiculous with dark, heavy looks or intense lip color. My favorite of all is to use lots of warm pinks and reds, doubling up my blush as an eyeshadow color too.

I think that's totally fair. I always wondered how guys (or girls) felt when they finally saw someone they were dating or even just sleeping with who usually wears really heavy makeup totally bare-faced. I'd rather have people think "wow she cleans up nicely" than "dang she looks rough"!
OMG. That's me, except for the contrast between eyes/skin/hair and pink nose trend. Unfortunately, I can't pull this look off. I have a high contrast between hair and eyes against the skin which already creates a very intense appearance. I can't wear light pink but plum, salmon, rosewood, or other deep lipstick shades or even nude tones. I also avoid highlighter or pink on my nose because it takes attention away from my eyes. Smokey eyes or brown-golden eyeshadow, even dark green work beautifully.

Attachments

·
Registered
INFP
5 Posts
I dont't use make up because i cry a lot lol

Speaking seriously, I put only fundation when i want to look "better". I've never had anybody to teach me how to do a good make up. I wish i could make my face looks better, but I feel kinda fine without it

·
Registered
INTJ 583 sx/sp
456 Posts
There's four types of makeup.

TypeYearDescription
The Socialite / Halfwit2010Literally paints on her nose and cheekbones.
The Clown / Madwoman1960Applies red lipstick / the violated anus-mouth.
The Whore / Warrior1980Black around the eyes.
The Natural / Boring1990Just hides bumps and bruises.

When you read this table, does it make you go "Oh shit, is that what I look like?"

·
Registered
104 Posts
i read a post somewhere that states that- MEN never ever wear makeup, and still look good no matter what. now, how is this not the truth for women? Because the reality, we're as much knock-outs without makeup as men! thanks, society.
I once dated a guy who wore makeup. It looked really good on him. Such a shame he turned out to be a terrible person.

Anyway, I haven't worn makeup in ages, but I'm gonna start wearing some really basic makeup because I just got a new job that will require me to interact with customers. I'm guessing customers will like me more if I wear makeup and that should make my job less unpleasant. It isn't that I don't like makeup. I just think it's too much trouble. Plus I'm not very good at applying it. My mom's visitation rights were taken away when I was 10, so she never had a chance to teach me how to apply it. I'm not sure she would've taught me anyway. She only wears makeup on special occasions.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts