Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always associated my self as kind of hippie or hipsterish. I like indie and alternative rock music, I like their style and I like the message of peace. Also Infps tend to be artsy and poetic, which is sort of like hipsters. Tell me if you agree or disagree.

·
Banned
751 Posts
Me too! People call me a hippie all the time.

Okay maybe I should have went more into this......... I don't consider myself a hippie or whatever, I just am and what kind of person would I be if I lowered my mystical being down to the level of being focussed on Earthly matters? I mean, actually giving a hoot about society enough to classify myself like that. I'm not gonna say I don't like labels and think they don't exist, because all they do is help with judgement. Umm I can't explain things very well.. Well I don't care, because it only matters if it makes sense to me.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I'm too awkward (and middle class suburban :tongue: ) to fit neatly into any subculture, especially the urban hipster one (and not the postured, cute, "indie" awkward; the real kind that puts people off :crazy: ). I'm also too much of a loner; I think you need a posse to be in subculture.... You obviously have to identify with a group pretty thoroughly.

I think many subcultures seem really IxFP inspired though, as far some of the ideas they embody & their sense of aesthetics; by the time they hit the mainstream, I imagine they are no longer representative of any type. By that time, so many of the ideas have been stripped away in favor of a look and sound...

There are bits & pieces of many I can identify with though. Like most Pe types, I'm excited by unusual external things, and so I may take those bits & pieces & combine it into something that is sort of my own. I think that's why I could never really pull a look off, even if I wanted to; I like too many different things! I don't want to be confined to some uniform - yuck.

The posturing is annoying also.....authenticity will be a hangup for many INFPs, but they may posses aspects of certain subcultures because they genuinely like those things. For example, the hipster tendency to like something ironically is bizarre to me. I'm totally sincere about what I wear/watch/listen to, which doesn't have to be obscure to make me feel all speshial.

I've actually noticed a LOT of hipster-ish types are FJs. It has a "status" aspect that appeals to them.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
If someone called me either of those things, i'd vomit in their face :p

I find that 'hipsters' look down at me and my unkempt hair and shabby clothes from 1999, and 'hippies' look down at the plastic bottle of water I just bought (because I had to run out of the house earlier that morning as I slept in). You can't really win really. I don't try to keep up. I have no idea of recent movies, music, technology, photographic techniques etc. I just float and do.. whatever the hell it is I get up to. I don't keep up with trendy things, and i'd rather not take the moral highground on environmental matters. I'd rather the truth than staunch emotive driven attitudes towards environmental measures.

Group think annoys me, as do cliques. I stand alone. I don't defend or wish to find belonging in a group that tries to make itself an outsider. They tend to call 'mainstream' and average people sheep, which is fairly hypocritical. I find these types of things encourage witch hunts and people who think you have to pass an authenticity test to 'be one of them', eurgh. "You can't be one of us because of x, y,z".

Either of the identifiers I find foolish anyway. They seem to be born from patronising and derogatory positions propegated and enforced by the media etc anyway. Just like 'emo kid' and all the other assorted subcultures.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I am frequently accused of being either a hipster or hippie. I don't think I'm a hipster at all, since that seems to involve being an asshole. I am pretty much a hippie, but I haven't done drugs (yet) or anything like that.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I went on a first date in the summer and halfway through she asked me if I was a hipster. I thought she was joking and I started laughing, but when I realized she was serious...it made me feel an odd mix of shame/anger/you don't know me.

I think I'm closer to a hippie than a hipster, I love nature, hallucinogens now and then, universal love (as empty as that concept became by the 70's). I sometimes dream of my own garden by a body of water and an earth mother type girl who makes good lentil stuff and funky soaps while she milks the goats.

Plus I like enough things that people have heard about that would immediately disqualify me from being a doofus hipster.

But mostly like a few have said above, we are our own undefined people, and that's a good thing. We mostly take comfort from the inside, not the outside.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I don't think I could be a hipster if I tried. I don't follow trends easily although I observe it from a distance. I find it the whole keeping up the appearances all too trite and hollow. Being a true hipster means that you don't give a shit what other people think, which would run contrary to the current definition of a hipster who is much too eager to please a crowd/scene.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
I'm too awkward (and middle class suburban :tongue: ) to fit neatly into any subculture, especially the urban hipster one (and not the postured, cute, "indie" awkward; the real kind that puts people off :crazy: ). I'm also too much of a loner; I think you need a posse to be in subculture.... You obviously have to identify with a group pretty thoroughly.

I think many subcultures seem really IxFP inspired though, as far some of the ideas they embody & their sense of aesthetics; by the time they hit the mainstream, I imagine they are no longer representative of any type. By that time, so many of the ideas have been stripped away in favor of a look and sound...

There are bits & pieces of many I can identify with though. Like most Pe types, I'm excited by unusual external things, and so I may take those bits & pieces & combine it into something that is sort of my own. I think that's why I could never really pull a look off, even if I wanted to; I like too many different things! I don't want to be confined to some uniform - yuck.

The posturing is annoying also.....authenticity will be a hangup for many INFPs, but they may posses aspects of certain subcultures because they genuinely like those things. For example, the hipster tendency to like something ironically is bizarre to me. I'm totally sincere about what I wear/watch/listen to, which doesn't have to be obscure to make me feel all speshial.

I've actually noticed a LOT of hipster-ish types are FJs. It has a "status" aspect that appeals to them.
If you can listen to music, you can fit into a subculture. Most all subcultures boil down to: do you dig the music?
Goth, hippie, emo, whatever.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
If you can listen to music, you can fit into a subculture. Most all subcultures boil down to: do you dig the music?
Goth, hippie, emo, whatever.
I agree that music is the backbone to these subcultures (which is what lures me into other aspects of them; I like the music, and by association, some of the visual styles; but I like too many to be true to one). The issue is when no one can agree on what bands are what subculture :laughing:; or if a person likes many different subgenres of rock/pop music, then what subculture do they belong to? And if you're a loner, then how can you truly be in any subculture scene (besides your bedroom scene :crazy:)? The categorizing makes my brain hurt....

Anyhow, I think it goes beyond music taste. Music taste is like the gateway drug to a subculture.

:tongue:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm not as into the "hippy scene" as my hippy INFP friends, but we're quite close on thought patterns and ideals. I'm slightly more prone to miniattacks of realism than some of them, but I think that may be because i'm not really part of the scene. I find some areas of it to be very fake, people not being true to themselves in the pursuit of the ideal and some who actually do judge you because you make the decision not to dread, yoga and otherwise look like a hippy. It doesn't fit comfortably with me, plus I don't like feeling pressured to do certain things/looked down on because I don't believe weed is needed to reach "a higher place".

Reactions: Leroy and refugee
1 - 20 of 98 Posts