Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been this famous funny joke about INFP that it stands for I Never Finish Projects.
Which I personally feel it is so true, as I always have trouble in procrastinating a lot/too much.

But at some/certain point in life, this joke would eventually wear-off and not that 'cute' anymore, as REAL Life can be really cruel and uncompromising if we grow up by always putting things off and procrastinating endlessly.
As is with my current case, being 28 now, just recently decided to quit my seven-years family-business job (a very BIG, no-play-around decision especially in Chinese family!) because I simply can't stand it anymore, and to really pursue the "less travelled path" of being a Musician/composer/singer-songwriter. But I actually kinda regret a lot that I have NOT used my youth years (from age 18 - 28) in seriously building my music career. and now it feels like I have to start again from zero. and now I've realized that it's NOT going to be an easy one. still not to mention that I am easily depressed/down, and my mind still sometimes damn going 'somewhere else' and can't be really practical and organized enough. I still find myself very easily wandering-off, procrastinating,...and it has really severed a LOT of things like my relationship with my dad (he still see me as a "failure"), my future (I'm now back at ground zero figuring things out! while "everybody's changing and I don't feel the same" - Keane), and heavy expectations now on my shoulder to "make it" on my own way..

That's why I want to ask this very important question now:
how do you guys, as INFPs, manage to work around and perhaps even managed to BEAT this damn "I Never Finish Projects" natural bad habit of yours?
in other words:
- how to stop your mind from constantly wandering-off?
- how to stop endlessly browsing around wikipedia, internet, youtube, etc, and just damn FOCUS on task at hand like the SJs, without getting overwhelmingly bored and even stressed out?
- how to stay organized?
- how to really STICK to your goals, and even your step-by-step plans that you've wrote like...one-week ago? (ouch!)

how? how? how?
please share your thoughts.
thanks!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yea I feel you on that one.. a lot.. I got so many things right now that are late, overdue, lost, misplaced, forgotten, left, unfinished, so many projects started nothing finished. I know if I can constantly get motivation for something I can keep the energy to get it done, but its like I need to motivate myself to get motivated to get motivated...

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I suggest to write down why you're doing it. I find that 'logisizing' my goals helps me rationalize them, and gives me a reason to keep on going, or at least give me free choice to continue or not, when I'm procrastinating. Writing down your goal (and reviewing it!) may help remind you, and give you a conscious choice between procrastinating and focusing. Hope this helps!

Reactions: niki

·
Registered
470 Posts
I cannot wait to read the responses and advice of these questions. I, too, struggle HORRIBLY with this. In the rare event that I do finish something, I always go back to edit it. Endlessly.

I feel your pain. I just turned 24 and can't decide what it is I want to do, so at least you know. I am going to be enrolled in school now for something I enjoy and feel I will be able to finally get a degree in (sociology), but I know I'm not getting a job with it. It's a scary feeling, especially knowing my procrastination and laziness tendencies.

·
Registered
470 Posts
refugee, SERIOUSLY I want to do that. I know that'd be so incredibly good for me. The problem is, I love to write, and I can't imagine doing it by hand after being so used to the luxury of the keyboard.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I stop doing things when I lose motivation, which unfortunately is a lot :confused:

Like most everyone else who's posted here, I'm looking forward to see what suggestions someone who's overcome this may have! ^^;

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I'm just a way-too-motivated person to accept anything less than finishing something. Although, it helps me if I put it off until closer to the deadline - the urgency and slight added stress helps focus me somehow.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
throw out your computer. :dry:
:crazy: probably a really literal solution to this very literal problem, hahah. Procrastination is exactly that. I play chance, weigh feelings, literally stop thinking, anything to decide what to do as well.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
When I have a plan that I need to follow, I plan for me derailing from that plan... (can you even do that?) I leave an hour before I need to be somewhere, when it is only a 30 minute drive away. I also start my procrastinated homework with plenty of "night before" left. I know what I am likely to do, may as well be prepared for it then! :cool:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ironically enough, as I am reading this post I have a massive stack of work beside me that I need to get done tonight! Maybe I should stop reading about my procrastination tendencies and just get on with it!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not only am I an INFP, I also have ADD and am not on medication because none of the meds they tried on me worked. It drives me and everyone I know crazy but I still haven't learned to totally deal with it yet >.<

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then for those of you who are still having troubles with procrastination & putting-off life/dreams/goals, my question is how would you later deal with the real-working world? which often can be such a cruel, mean, no-compromise sick animalistic world that's so different from college/uni world?

Because now I'm currently undergoing this shitty experience, and I really need to STOP procrastinating/putting off my life, or I will be a major loser, and would probably just move myself to a remote village and just live there FREE of any society's crazy money-and-status workalholic expectations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts