Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys ever had a dispute with an INFP?

I had one recently with an ISTJ. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be given our differences.
However, needless to say INFPs and ISTJs see the world differently.
My point for this thread is to find out how an INFP should approach a dispute with an ISTJ.
Please suggest any thing you may think is helpful, whether it be pre planning even.
I mean, how could an INFP and ISTJ better understand each other while disputing?

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
Yes, most of my disputes in the "Debate" and "Current Events" subforums involve INFPs. I don't recommend that an INFP ever engage an ISTJ in a debate/dispute. What usually happens in these disputes is the INFP will think I'm mean for not agreeing with them. Another couple of posts later and the name-calling starts, lol. The biggest difference I see is I judge the worth of an idea on the results; the INFP views the worth of an idea on the intention of it. They'll support a bunch of bleeding heart causes that are destructive and think I'm mean for wanting solutions that actually work.

If you must have a dispute with an ISTJ, I'd like to point out that we don't hate you. It's not personal; we just know that you're wrong.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
@Adrift has something here. Intentions are not as important as the bottom line (=actions and their consequences). If you didn't mean to run over a child with your car, should you be let off the hook completely? You caused the death of an innocent. Saying "I didn't mean to" is not enough... To answer your question - approach the dispute with head, not heart. We listen to reason. We even change our minds, if you use logic to show us that your way is more efficient or closer to the truth than ours. And if we show you that your idea is bad or worthless, we are not saying that *you* are bad or worthless. If you cannot debate on the merits of an idea, then it's best not to start a debate at all. That's OK too. :happy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts