Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here.

I've been into MBTI and other typologies for about 2 years now, but I've never been certain of my own type. For most of those two years I've believed it was INTJ, but I'm also considering INTP or INFP. Each makes sense in their own way from my point of view. I am however certain that I'm a 5w4 sx/sp, which is not the standard for INTJ or INFP. I don't fully grasp how much that can change those types away from how they're generally perceived.

I would be completely certain that I am an INTJ but
1. I avoid conflict, hate it, and my adrenaline kicks in really quickly, although never in a "mad" way.
2. I'm not very confident socially.
3. I'm more expressive
4. I don't fully understand Ni, I feel that I favor Ne more. It seems like not understanding your top function would be a bit of a clue.

I also don't believe I fully fit in with INTP
1. I feel that I'm more emotional than they are considered to be. I do care about what people think and more often then not, look at myself through what I believe them to see.
2. I believe I use Te. I do enjoy systems and prefer things I take the time to do have a purpose outside of my enjoyment unless that specifically is my goal.
3. Also believe I use Fi. It's easier for me to feel emotions if I have had the same experience.

My reasons against INFP are
1. INFPs are considered to be really emotional (by people online). If one of my closest friend's car broke down or dog died, I'm sorry it happened, but I really don't care and I'm not going to want to talk about it unless it's seriously helping you in some way.
2. Unless "logic" in general can be considered a "moral", I really don't have much other than wanting people around me to pull their own weight. If I'm asked to help someone, my first reaction is to see how hard they tried on their own, based off of that is how helpful I will be. But as far as morals go, there is no right answer. I can be extremely contradicting as I will change what I say or do based off of the situation (as long as I know the contradiction is only visible to myself).

I tried to keep it short although I find it hard to not diverge into another topic (I was doing better at the start it seems).
If there are any questions I can answer please ask, and thank you for your time.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Hey guys, new here.
Welcome to the Flipside!
:proud:
I've never been certain of my own type.
Exploration is half the fun.
:happy:
I've believed it was INTJ
That was my first result back in 1999 and has remained the most consistent. You really have to investigate the cognitive functions to truly "know thyself."

I'm also considering INTP or INFP.
Maybe take the test again, but research the cognitive functions too.

certain that I'm a 5w4 sx/sp, which is not the standard for INTJ or INFP.
There is no "standard," per se. There are only observable patterns of semi-regularity at best with plenty of room for variation, even if it seems "anomalous."

I would be completely certain that I am an INTJ, but...
1. I avoid conflict, hate it, and my adrenaline kicks in really quickly, although never in a "mad" way.
The "16 Personalities" adds two variants per MBTI type: "A" for "Assertive" and "T" for "Turbulent." You might be a "T" type (like me), expressed as "INTJ-T."

2. I'm not very confident socially.
That's fairly common with INTJ-Ts. Plus, anxiety of one form or another is part of the package for those of Melancholy temperament (which could explain why the word "Melancholy" is associated with depression even when that's not what it technically means).

3. I'm more expressive.
Do you mean vocally or physically? It's natural to communicate with body language. Some struggle with that more than others, INTJ or otherwise. My friends have a hard time believing I'm an introvert because of my expressive body language.

4. I don't fully understand Ni
Nobody does. That's part of its charm!
:tongue:
It seems like not understanding your top function would be a bit of a clue.
The journey to "know thyself" is never complete. It's ongoing.

I also don't believe I fully fit in with INTP.
1. I feel that I'm more emotional than they are considered to be.
Fe is their inferior function which can often mean that their emotions are more unstable. Unstable emotions, whether tempered or not, have a way of bubbling to the surface. If properly tempered, they can be a source of powerful inspiration regardless of their position on the cognitive stack.

I do care about what people think, and more often then not, look at myself through what I believe them to see.
That's very natural for a lot of people regardless of personality type.

2. I believe I use Te. I do enjoy systems and prefer things I take the time to do have a purpose
Very INTJ. According to the stereotype, INTPs are satisfied with the theory of something, whereas an INTJ will remain unsatisfied until they've tested it in the context of the tangible world. We get "b0red" without action or we might feel that our efforts aren't enough until we know that "the plan" (whatever it happens to be) actually works.

3. Also believe I use Fi.
INTJs, "A" and "T" alike, with developed Fi can experience firey passion that can make some doubt our "introversion" (due to the misunderstanding of that term).

My reasons against INFP are...
1. INFPs are considered to be really emotional (by people online).
But they tend to be more in touch with their emotions, whether stable or unstable, due to those emotions being higher on their cognitive stack. So says the stereotype. Really, there's about as much variation per individual as you can imagine.

If one of my closest friend's car broke down...I'm not going to want to talk about it unless it's seriously helping you in some way.
That's a textbook masculine trait. Call it the natural drive of Yang energy if you want. Sometimes, that "fixer" tendency is exactly what's needed. Other times, all that's needed is an ear to listen or a shoulder to lean on. We all have to remind ourselves of that from time to time. It takes wisdom to know the difference as per the situation. I certainly don't have all the answers.

2. Unless "logic" in general can be considered a "moral"
Ethos, Logos, and Mythos are inseparable.

I tried to keep it short although I find it hard to not diverge into another topic
Tangential thinking is a textbook trait of the Ni-driven mind, perhaps a textbook trait of intuition in general.

Reactions: Nyxsys and Agent X
1 - 2 of 2 Posts