Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

Description of the cognitive functions, the more and different things I read about them, the more confused I became. I can recognize myself in all of them up to a certain point, I just have no idea which recognition I should view as dominant.

Especially what other people post, or the "you know you are a XXXX when" threads. But how do I know other people are not mistyped? Those threads seem kind of stupid cause it can still all be personal but somehow they make me doubt my type. (first edit after 5 seconds)

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

To find myself. To find my purpose. I must have a talent, but what is it, are the talents I am developing true? Or are they just another random something of the thousands of things I have tried?

I want to really understand what drives the people of the world, how did we evolve into what we are today, and what of all the chaos and evil that can be found within us, will it ever change? Will we ultimately destroy ourselves or the world we live in?

The spiritual and religious aspects of all that also really interest me, it is a huge part of 'us', and I want to understand it.

As how I want to do all of this, I want to write.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

Probably when I was a young child. My parents took me all over the world to various (exotic) countries, were we lived. There was no homework or work or fear of what I was or had to do.
I think I was at my finest before the innocence of being a child was taken away from me. Which still happened too early, in my opinion. I had seen a lot when I was still young, it collided with the narrow-minded views of my 'superiors' I came into contact with later.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

Never having made it to a 'higher' study, which interests me. Knowing that I will not fit into a traditional job, but my surroundings in which I put my trust constantly shoving me into that direction.

It all undermines my intelligence and self-worth.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I always start with how I feel about something. And I have learned to take it from there, leading to sometimes relentlessly considering the cons, to a lesser extent the pros, and way over thinking. I will take into account mostly how a decision will affect me, and then other people.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I think that if you have no outcome over the project, you may as well not have participated at all. I'm not very good at working in groups, and knowing my perfectionist views on how it should be done are almost impossible to meet, often make me slack cause it all seems hopeless anyway. Then again, people might call me a slacker, but in the end it I often end up doing most of the work cause I want it done my way.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

Hard question. There were years when I was still a teenager where I had more 'friends'. But then there was also drugs and criminal behavior and 'hanging' around on the streets at night, which was not me. I stepped away from them and kind of became a hermit of some sorts.

My memories of having fun are also of then, mostly because then I actually 'lived', I did a lot of things.I loved to go out to a festival or large party. I don't want you to get the wrong idea about these parties, and immediately shout out EXTROVERT! So I will explain, here in Holland we have huge 'dance parties', loud techno music etc, where thousands of people come to, or some smaller parties where a couple of hundred come to. I used to pick which ones I wanted to go to, and I would convince my friends to go. I mostly chose where we went. I would not actually talk to anyone at such a party and would walk around alone mostly, soaking in the music. Or when really drunk, would confide in one of my friends to talk to the rest of the night.

I severely disliked going out to a pub or something, all the people touching and dancing closely with each other, that freaks me out, I did it a lot, but I was never comfortable there.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
Firstly I want to know why something is done they way it is done. I want to understand the principle behind its workings, even though this is not always possible, but only if the subject interests me. I can then theorize about it for a long time, but I have learned from experience that theory can be so much more different than reality. Working hands on makes you fine-tune what you have learned. I am a lot more comfortable with theory though.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Simple, not at all. The only things that are organized are my books which are alphabetical by author, my music files and writing files on the computer. The rest is a complete mess.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I always first see how I feel about an idea. What does my body tell me about the idea?
If it does not feel right, I will see if I can get rid of it in whatever way possible. Ideas I like are left to be thought about, if they still are inside my mind after some time, I trust the idea. Then I will take it apart to see if I can make the idea better, in what way does it work, but in what ways does it not work?

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

Firstly, myself. I have enough trouble as it is finding my own path. If I am not in harmony with myself, I can't help the others around me. It pains me to see people who are not on their true path or filling their true potential. I will talk to them and make them question if they are really doing what they like, they will think about it, and as far as I can go, that is mostly all that I can do. I do not feel I am in the position to really tell someone they should be doing something else.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I think before I speak. I prefer one-on-one conversations, or in a group of three. I will often be very quiet, and then I will suddenly say something that will surprise everyone or make them laugh.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I want to evaluate the situation first, before I take action. As for actions speak more than words, in general. I am very torn between the two, it just depends so much on the situation.

In conflict, I choose words, then again, I hate conflict and I would much rather run away, which is an action..

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
If I already set my mind to the TV show, it will be really hard to change that. I was looking forward to that and now I have to do something else. I find it hard to say no. I will probably have a very good time when I go out, but it will take me a while before my mindset is adjusted. I tend to lean to staying at home though, as that has just been how it worked out over time.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I become sad or numb, and withdraw severely into myself. And when I am sad, the world cries. I also have a tendency to hide, but this is not always a possibility, which brings me back to what I said earlier.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Someone telling me how to look or act. And then they go and look and act in a certain way as if that makes them for example, work harder or better, which it doesn't.

Being extremely loud, up to the where there is just no need for it whatsoever.

A personality being fake, which I can spot from miles away, or it being underdeveloped, but I can see where it is heading, only the person themselves doesn't realize it themselves yet.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

People often tell me my topics are way to 'heavy', especially for my age. Yeah, I like to discuss 'deep', things, as I like to call them.

This is generally around the working of the world, as in spirituality, religion, politics, history etc. The more light subject matter is music and movies or TV series, but then I tend to dive to deep into something.

There are also times when I only joke, but that is usually when I am in a sort of 'ADHD' mood, which is a state in which I severely dislike myself.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life
Cleanliness of my living environment? It's always a huge mess.

The 'now'? I always tend to see how it was better in the past, or how it might be better in the future? I can't seem to enjoy the 'now'?

I can't really think about anything else, it is a really hard question..

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

Funny. Somewhat strange. Hermit.

I don't actually have any close friends, or at least people of who I think of in that way, the opposite might be a possibility from their perspective. So, I don't let read some of my work. So mostly I guess they don't fully know or understand my deep personality, I guess half of them don't even know I write.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Sit behind the PC, read, watch movies or series. I like to think about going outside, but I rarely ever really do that.

I am always thinking about a writing a new story, ideas of such, or how I can improve the ones I already wrote. The actual writing is something I should be doing a lot more, though.

I am 100% sure I missed a lot of things I wanted to say in here, and when I read this back after posting I will probably end up editing because I felt important parts are missing, the first thing that I felt I somehow had to end up putting in here were some really vivid memories from my past.

Like, as a young boy living in Saudi Arabia, I remember sitting on a sidewalk in the compound looking at very large red ants walking into a gutter and I remember the smell of the place and that I would be doing something like that a lot. I was about four?

I also remember where my defiance (against authority) started, and how I felt about my ideals being compromised. I was playing in a sandbox with my 'only' and best friend. Someone threw sand at him and and I defended him and threw sand back. He went to the teacher and I got punished and was send inside. I had to walk into the 2nd grade class which was full of people I did now know, I was far too scared to do that and I was furious for being send inside. I hid behind a radiator and stayed there for several hours while the whole compound was looking for me.

I will try not to edit now.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
You sound like an INFP to me. You are definitely not an ISFP, and I see more Fi than Fe in your writing, so I'm pretty sure you're not an INFJ either.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sound like an INFP to me. You are definitely not an ISFP, and I see more Fi than Fe in your writing, so I'm pretty sure you're not an INFJ either.
Could you elaborate the definitely not an ISFP? I read a lot about listening to music in your head on their forums, for example. And on the other hand, while I might 'think' future oriented, I could waste days at my computer playing video games, which is actually really living in the now..

As for INFJ, I read about the relentless re-writing of emails, which I do. When I write something, the endless editing, the eternal question of what type I actually am? This also seems quite INFJ I guess?

What sounded the most familiar of all the cognitive functions though, was Si, which I saw was not at all present with ISFP. I couldn't quite place myself in any of the other cognitive functions when reading about them, which also seemed pretty weird.

On the other hand, I have no problem coming up with very abstract ideas for a story, but the actual writing seems much more of a problem. I read that ISFP's have more trouble coming up with abstract ideas, but creating the actual art, which in turn also might be abstract, is never a problem..

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Could you elaborate the definitely not an ISFP? I read a lot about listening to music in your head on their forums, for example. And on the other hand, while I might 'think' future oriented, I could waste days at my computer playing video games, which is actually really living in the now..

As for INFJ, I read about the relentless re-writing of emails, which I do. When I write something, the endless editing, the eternal question of what type I actually am? This also seems quite INFJ I guess?

What sounded the most familiar of all the cognitive functions though, was Si, which I saw was not at all present with ISFP. I couldn't quite place myself in any of the other cognitive functions when reading about them, which also seemed pretty weird.

On the other hand, I have no problem coming up with very abstract ideas for a story, but the actual writing seems much more of a problem. I read that ISFP's have more trouble coming up with abstract ideas, but creating the actual art, which in turn also might be abstract, is never a problem..
You talked about finding purpose in life, what drives us, chaos and evil and all that stuff. In our forum we hardly ever speak about that stuff. We never think about it nor talk about it unless somebody else, usually another type, drops in and brings it up. Those kind of topics just aren't really on our radar.

If you're familiar with Si, then that's pretty common for INFPs, Si is their third function. You don't sound like a Si-dom to me though.

What you said about INFJs is to do with Ni, doubting what you do and wondering if you're really looking at something from the right perspective. You mentioned something about wanting to go outside and never actually doing so, though. That sounds very Ne-like; thinking of what you could do, but not actually doing it. If you were a Se user (ISFP) you would just go out there on impulse, whenever you felt like it.

I think you should look up the differences between Fe (INFJ) and Fi (INFP) and figure out which one you use more. INFJs and INFPs have completely different functions, so understanding them more might help you figure out which one you are.

Reactions: Pom87 and Arrow

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You talked about finding purpose in life, what drives us, chaos and evil and all that stuff. In our forum we hardly ever speak about that stuff. We never think about it nor talk about it unless somebody else, usually another type, drops in and brings it up. Those kind of topics just aren't really on our radar.

If you're familiar with Si, then that's pretty common for INFPs, Si is their third function. You don't sound like a Si-dom to me though.

What you said about INFJs is to do with Ni, doubting what you do and wondering if you're really looking at something from the right perspective. You mentioned something about wanting to go outside and never actually doing so, though. That sounds very Ne-like; thinking of what you could do, but not actually doing it. If you were a Se user (ISFP) you would just go out there on impulse, whenever you felt like it.

I think you should look up the differences between Fe (INFJ) and Fi (INFP) and figure out which one you use more. INFJs and INFPs have completely different functions, so understanding them more might help you figure out which one you are.
Thank you, that makes it a bit more clear. I also read somewhere on here that the difference between an ISFP or an INFP who doubts his type, can be figured out with looking if they see themselves as a philosopher, or not at all.

As for "Si": Si is awareness of concrete forms and categories of sensory perception. Si interprets stimuli in terms of the past. Si stores and recalls facts, figures and past situations.

I pretty much compare everything with the past. That is also what I used to answer most of the questions in this topic. But this might not always be accurate, everyone is different in the past.

I will do some more research into Fe and Fi. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts