Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
The 'N' vs. 'S' component

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Currently, I yearn for understanding of big picture stuff... The purpose of life, societal relations, things like that. I guess I yearn for existential meaning, and I am having a hard time coming to grips with some of the posits of science that have led me to conclude that life is inherently meaningless. (Booooohooooooo)

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I can't really recall a specific time. I feel like I am at my finest when I am really getting my point across, am articulate, and of course getting positive feedback. I guess I like to be validated.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Perceiving that I am surrounded by people who are more intelligent/more organized/more artistic/more likable than I am. But especially, more intelligent.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I tend to decide based on how something fits with my morals. Sometimes I'm concerned with how I will be viewed by others, but generally I like to follow my own moral code. If I feel I am doing something that will cause harm to someone else without having a bigger-picture good outcome, I will probably back off the decision.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I suppose I like to do research. I do not place heavy emphasis on control UNLESS I think I have a really good idea or I feel my teammates are incompetent.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
I remember (though rather poorly) having a good time with a friend the last summer of high school. We spent a lot of the summer hiking and talking. In felt connected to him, and special to him, in a way. As I looked up to him, I felt that being allowed to have this special time with him qualified me for some degree of specialness. We had quite a few moments of standing or sitting in awe of natural wonder. I guess I had some magical, free-feeling sensations as well.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
Probably to theorize. I don't care too much for memorization unless the subject calls for it. I like to apply concepts I already underarms to the new subject.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Not very. It takes a lot of effort and simplification in order for me to get and stay organized.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Usually I will take a look at the principles to see if they make sense.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Depends on the situation. If indent really like or am offended by a group or a person, I will not make much of an effort to maintain harmony... I will just keep quiet and speak up if I am really offended. For people I like, I will make more of an effort to maintain harmony. The closer I am, the more likely I am to speak up for myself.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Usually I like to think before speaking, though occasionally I will blurt some things out.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I tend to look before leaping. I am concerned that my actions do not always match up to the assertions that I make.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Depends on my energy level, the friends, and what they are proposing we do! I dont jump at opportunities to socialize and prefer some notice. If I feel like going out, I will offer to meet them later. If that's not a possibility, I may decide to catch the show on hulu the next day. I don't really like hectic club scenes. I. Am usually more interested in small group settings.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I can get really irritable towards people with whom I am close. Sometimes I will have angry outbursts. I am withdrawn and sullen around those with whom I am not close.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Anyone who is really intense or demanding emotionally, or who has trouble controlling the volume of their voice. I dislike people who force their views on others and are inconsiderate of others' feelings when making decisions or who have no ability to see from multiple points of view.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Personality theory, spirituality, philosophy, health and wellness, mind-body connection, those kinds of things.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?
This is a hard question... Probably my looks, at least compared to other women my age.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
Introverted but kooky. Creative, analytical, kind, possibly intellectual, a good listener. Honestly, I don't think I am very creative and I could stand to be kinder and more considerate. I don't think my friends would ever call me cocky or boisterous or mean.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Reading, watching TV, going for a walk, possibly window shopping. Messing around online... Climbing a tree, gardening, hiking, horseback riding...

Reactions: marzipan01

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your answers remind me my INFp friends more than any ESFj I know.

“I dislike people who force their views on others and are inconsiderate of others' feelings when making decisions or who have no ability to see from multiple points of view.”
I am convinced (but I might be wrong) that it is typically Ne Fi.

This made me a bit wonder:

“Anyone who is really intense or demanding emotionally, or who has trouble controlling the volume of their voice.”
Do you prefer being around emotional people or heartless ones at last? I bet you would rather like to be surrounded by chastened ones, wouldn’t you?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your answers remind me my INFp friends more than any ESFj I know.

I am convinced (but I might be wrong) that it is typically Ne Fi.

This made me a bit wonder:

Do you prefer being around emotional people or heartless ones at last? I bet you would rather like to be surrounded by chastened ones, wouldn’t you?
Oh, I like "feelers"... I just don't like people who unhealthily throw their emotional weight around and attempt to manipulate others with it. If I catch myself doing that, I'm pretty quick to apologize and cut it out. I guess I don't like loose cannons. I get overwhelmed by people who have a lot of energy.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Probably Feeling type, given your insecurities around Thinking. But I'm actually not sold on you as an INFP (specifically I'm not sold that you have a Si preference). I'd favor ISFP over INFP.

You might be able to make an outside case for ENFJ but I'd lean toward ISFP. I really dont get much of a Ne/Si vibe with you at all.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably Feeling type, given your insecurities around Thinking. But I'm actually not sold on you as an INFP (specifically I'm not sold that you have a Si preference). I'd favor ISFP over INFP.

You might be able to make an outside case for ENFJ but I'd lean toward ISFP. I really dont get much of a Ne/Si vibe with you at all.

What would you expect to hear with Si? And what functions are you seeing? Is it possible to discern type based on tertiary function? Are you seeing Ne at all?

·
Registered
528 Posts
most actually fits with INFP. look: 90% in there is about your own morals and how you hate when people try to boss each other around. typical INFP. and si is only our 3d function. it's as strong as ne for my part, but most people don't experience that much of it.

I dunno... you just sound a lot like me. but the whole connecting thing is a bit fe, so maybe you should look into ISFJ as well?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@LiquidLight

I really relate to the description of Si found at this link: INFJ or INFP? a closer look

I do enjoy genealogy and am fascinated by history. I have tried to start a family tree, but want to do so accurately and have not had the resources to do so. My mom died when I was little and I have started to wear matching pajama sets because I remember that she used to, for whatever that's worth. I wore a lot of her clothes after she died, and I wear one of her rings during special events, or for "good luck." I definitely relate to that bit about body wisdom. I am very much in tune with the physical manifestations of my emotions, and I don't have trouble figuring out what's wrong when I am feeling unwell. I do reflect back on experiences pretty often to make a hypothesis about a given situation

Anyway, it is fairly obvious that I am biased towards INFP because that is something I have used to form my identity over the last few years. But I guess, in the end, it doesn't really matter.

Reactions: Lorem Ipsum

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
most actually fits with INFP. look: 90% in there is about your own morals and how you hate when people try to boss each other around. typical INFP. and si is only our 3d function. it's as strong as ne for my part, but most people don't experience that much of it.

I dunno... you just sound a lot like me. but the whole connecting thing is a bit fe, so maybe you should look into ISFJ as well?
I have terrible trouble connecting with people, which might be the reason I placed an emphasis on it? I don't have many friends, and it takes a lot of time for the trust to build enough for me to consider someone a friend. Only recently have I developed a tolerance for casual friendships. I would think Fe would have less trouble with that?

Reactions: Jxuptosae and Ayia

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
most actually fits with INFP. look: 90% in there is about your own morals and how you hate when people try to boss each other around. typical INFP.
This is exactly the same for ISFP. People seem to forget that we're Fi-doms too.

You strike me as an INFP though, what with all the hidden meaning stuff you were talking about. That's very N-like.

·
Registered
164 Posts
@LiquidLight

I really relate to the description of Si found at this link: (link removed)

I do enjoy genealogy and am fascinated by history. I have tried to start a family tree, but want to do so accurately and have not had the resources to do so. My mom died when I was little and I have started to wear matching pajama sets because I remember that she used to, for whatever that's worth. I wore a lot of her clothes after she died, and I wear one of her rings during special events, or for "good luck." I definitely relate to that bit about body wisdom. I am very much in tune with the physical manifestations of my emotions, and I don't have trouble figuring out what's wrong when I am feeling unwell. I do reflect back on experiences pretty often to make a hypothesis about a given situation

Anyway, it is fairly obvious that I am biased towards INFP because that is something I have used to form my identity over the last few years. But I guess, in the end, it doesn't really matter.
Some of the information provided to you was exactly what I have been looking for. I'm sorry that I can't help you at all, but you have helped me. The input you have gotten is great, and you seem capable so I'm sure you will come to a conclusion. Best of luck!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still a bit of a toss-up between INFP and ISFJ. ISFP is a possibility, but I relate fairly well to both INFP and ISFJ.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can someone please help me to discern between ISFJ and INFP? I know statistically, it is more likely that I am an ISFJ...

I guess what I need to determine is whether I prefer Si or Fi.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Well ISFJ is an Extraverted Feeling type so right off the bat that should be a flag. The other big thing with ISFJs is that they do not favor their Intuition, but rather are much more focused on the here and now (in a different way than ISFPs). The strong Si gives them sort of a perception is reality mindset (because Si is just subjective perception via the five senses).

But the real giveaway to Si-doms is generally the poor intuitions. The myriad of negative possibilities. The reason they get characterized as types that are disciplined or stick to what they know is because of their Inferior Ne (if you had a littany of negative possibilities pop up everytime you wanted to try something new or interesting you'd probably stick to what you knew too). The extreme of this can lead to a person who is always worried about the 'what ifs.' "What if this happens," or "what if that happens?" etc. That what's leads to the "I better just play it safe," mentality that ISFJs and ISTJs get stereotyped for, even if they often do not recognize or downplay this tendency in themselves.

INFPs and ISFPs are feeling types so what trips them up is Thinking. Specifically Extraverted Thinking, accomplishment, being able to think something through, coherence, being able to effectively organize, task manage, etc. Fi-doms have something of a tyrannical Te-type inside of them who can pop up from time to time, but where the ESTJ or ENTJ has a solid use of Extraverted Thinking to help them manage, organize, categorize, etc., the Fi-dom's use of the function is just raw and extreme. Either they are racing through tons of information without coherently sorting it out when they make decisions, or they can become caricatures of Te-types who have all these grand Feeling ideas and values and things they want to accomplish but no real coherent method of how to get there. Fi-doms often get caught between the promise and the process, generally favoring the promise (Fi) and having a hard time actually accomplishing something. At their worst these can be the people who complain about some value that is being compromised but won't actually get up to do anything constructive about it.

Either way look into http://personalitycafe.com/infp-articles/76770-recognizing-inferior-function-ifps.html and http://personalitycafe.com/isfj-articles/78380-recognizing-inferior-function-isfj.html#post2358366

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well ISFJ is an Extraverted Feeling type so right off the bat that should be a flag. The other big thing with ISFJs is that they do not favor their Intuition, but rather are much more focused on the here and now (in a different way than ISFPs). The strong Si gives them sort of a perception is reality mindset (because Si is just subjective perception via the five senses).

But the real giveaway to Si-doms is generally the poor intuitions. The myriad of negative possibilities. The reason they get characterized as types that are disciplined or stick to what they know is because of their Inferior Ne (if you had a littany of negative possibilities pop up everytime you wanted to try something new or interesting you'd probably stick to what you knew too). The extreme of this can lead to a person who is always worried about the 'what ifs.' "What if this happens," or "what if that happens?" etc. That what's leads to the "I better just play it safe," mentality that ISFJs and ISTJs get stereotyped for, even if they often do not recognize or downplay this tendency in themselves.

INFPs and ISFPs are feeling types so what trips them up is Thinking. Specifically Extraverted Thinking, accomplishment, being able to think something through, coherence, being able to effectively organize, task manage, etc. Fi-doms have something of a tyrannical Te-type inside of them who can pop up from time to time, but where the ESTJ or ENTJ has a solid use of Extraverted Thinking to help them manage, organize, categorize, etc., the Fi-dom's use of the function is just raw and extreme. Either they are racing through tons of information without coherently sorting it out when they make decisions, or they can become caricatures of Te-types who have all these grand Feeling ideas and values and things they want to accomplish but no real coherent method of how to get there. Fi-doms often get caught between the promise and the process, generally favoring the promise (Fi) and having a hard time actually accomplishing something. At their worst these can be the people who complain about some value that is being compromised but won't actually get up to do anything constructive about it.

Either way look into http://personalitycafe.com/infp-articles/76770-recognizing-inferior-function-ifps.html and http://personalitycafe.com/isfj-articles/78380-recognizing-inferior-function-isfj.html#post2358366
That REALLY helps. I think I identify more with the IFP bit than the ISFJ bit. Thank you!
I'm going to re-read, however, to make sure I'm being honest with myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts