Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, another INFP/ISFP thread… I know lol. My apologies for the short novel ahead. I am usually a bit skeptical of people guessing others type online, especially considering I am not the most open person, and more than likely (and unintentionally) give off a vibe completely different than I do in person. I figured it would be worth asking at the very least.

I am most certainly an I and a P; I have a well balanced F/T, but am undoubtedly a feeler. That leaves me with N and S. I have been researching the differences between the two for the past couple of weeks and am still in the dark. I think if I were to hear "real world" examples between the two, it would help me understand more so than anything else. I have, until recently, always come up as an N and have never had reason to question it until now. As I find myself slowly coming out of this multi-year rut I have been in, I for one reason or another, seem to be relating less to INFPs and more so to ISFPs.

If you had to make a vague guess on what type I might be based on these random facts... what would it be?

-One of the first things that had me doubting my being an INFP was the tendency for them to, at times, over think things. I believe we are on this earth for far to short a time to over think certain aspects of life. From my personal experiences with INFPs they would much rather contemplate such things as the meaning life and how things could be. I truly love, and admire that about them, but that is not me. I would rather be out “doing” than sitting back and dreaming about what may or could be. I was reading a past thread where an INFP stated something along the lines of reality not being “enough” for them. That took me back quite a bit. There is so much in the world that I have not had the pleasure of seeing and experiencing... it is hard for me to imagine being bored with it all, or it not being “enough.”

-I am really reserved until I trust someone fully. That is probably putting it mildly actually... I have never found it easy to open up to others.

- I have a strong dislike of conflict.

-As I mentioned above, I am unquestionably introverted... probably more so than many.

-I dislike routine.

- I feel very detached from society most days. The 9 to 5 rat race and white picket fence lifestyle has never appealed to me.

-I love humanity, but hate society… if that makes any sort of sense to you. I try to see the good in others and society as a whole, but I also hold a dark and cynical view of it all that I just can't seem to shake at times.

-Living in the here and now is a way of life very near and dear to my heart.

- My head is in the clouds often, but I do know how to keep my feet planted when need be.

-I learn best visually and hands on.

- Poor with details.

-I prefer to look at issues and debates from all angles. I find it quite easy to respect views and opinions different from my own. Morality and "right and wrong" are both subjective in my eyes.

-I try much too hard to please too many people at once (not a trait that I see as positive to be honest.)

-I do not believe ones like of theory is a good indicator of N vs. S. If it helps any though I do enjoy theory and the abstract- in doses. I enjoy intellectual pursuits, reading, and general learning on my own basis. If a topic does not spark my interest right from the beginning I am likely to “put it on the shelf” for later (which usually means that I will not in fact come back to it.)

-No interest in material beauty or possessions. I do appreciate natural beauty though, nature especially… there is little I would rather do then go for a long walk through the woods or to sit back at the beach and listen to the waves crash to shore (I will take that serenity and raw beauty over a stack of Philosophy books any day.) The sounds, colors, smells, and overall feel of nature has a way of consuming and moving me in a way that I cannot put into words.

I suppose that is all I can think of for now. If you've read all this, I truly do appreciate it (and if you didn't I don't blame you at all lol). I am not certain if any of the above is relevant enough for you to even make a guess. If it isn't, do feel free to ask me any questions you find necessary. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts... Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Just guessing....
You use Se/Ni which means... not INFP.
You use Ti/Fe which means... not ISFP.
You like your feeling function so it is not inferior which means... not ISTP.
You prefer Se before Ni which means... not INFJ/ENFJ.

Last guy remaining: ESTP: Se Ti Fe Ni.

Se dominant? Yep - dislike routine, wants to keep experiencing things, learns from experiencing, live in the here and now, don't have the Si to remember details, wants to frolic with Se in nature, can keep feet planted, you like to pursue your interests, you are looking for real world examples (sorry I'm not giving them to you)

Fe tertiary? Yep, trying to people please even though you don't like it, being torn between Ti and Fe may make you withdraw from people, thinking you are feeler since it's extraverted like your dominant function, disliking conflict, you love humanity

Ti? Let's see, you have been researching things for two weeks, you are skeptical about other people guessing your type, wanting to go your own way and think independently, you hate society

Ni? You like your head in the clouds, you see things from different angles and the ideas behind things, maybe your Ni being inferior makes it hard to connect the dots sometimes.

Yep, ESTP is my guess. I'd be surprised if you believed me though but at least consider that you may use lots of Se.
I could be wrong though, I'm just going by what you wrote and what I know which is not necessarily that much:p

I assumed you had read about functions but if not here are a few pages here that may help you decide if you use other functions:
Intro to Function Theory + More Detailed Descriptions of Each Function Attitude - PersonalityCafe
Extraverted Sensing
MBTI characteristics & 16 Personality Types

Reactions: iDane

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think it's possible to get lost in the technicality of the individual functions. And just using a function doesn't make it a normal pattern of behavior. Anyone can use any function at a given time.

I don't think iDane's overall personality sounds like the ESTP description.

My best guess is iDane is an ISFP with good 3rd-function Ni development. (Alternatively INFP with good Si development?)

From what I understand, it all centers on what developed first (N or S). I've been trying to think about childhood, adolescence and how I naturally processed things without too much influence.

At about age 25+, (or whenever after the first 2 functions are established) what is emerging and strengthening is probably the 3rd function. Some believe the 3rd function can be just as strong as your original 2nd function. So I would look specifically for real-world examples of Ni and Si, to see which is making itself known right now.

I wish I had more real examples too, some of this gets way too abstract for me. x__x InvisibleJim has some good articles on functions on this site, he tries to clear up some of the confusion.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Most people get very confused in the different functioning between Si and Ni, therefore it is useful to have a concise description of these and the difference in how they assert themselves.

In effect upon seeing the moon an Si dominant may say 'I see a face on the moon' comparing the shapes they see etched on its surface with their internal vison of faces.

Upon seeing the moon the dominant Ni user may ponder the moon and theorise that the moon is infact a head with a personality and story after considering that someone has informed them that the moons surface appears to look somewhat like a face.
I knew I could find it somewhere!!!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you two.

PC, I can honestly say I am not anything like an ESTP, lol. I've got a family full of them. I hold an immense amount of respect for them, but it is almost mind numbing how differently we think and view the world. Not to mention they've got bundles of charm and wit... and i'm about as socially awkward as they come, lol. I enjoy the company of others close to me, but too much socialization leaves me feeling exhausted and my mind a bit cloudy. I gain strength from within, not through others (textbook introvert ... or so i've been told.) As for F/T... I can't say that I am torn between the two (I was at one time though.) I do think I give off a T sort of vibe online. I consider myself to be logical, but I am most certainly a feeler. It does not seem to transit well for me through the computer though i'm afraid, lol. Thank you for the reply and the links, I know I did not give you all much to go on.

Gwen, thank you for the reply! I will have to admit that I have yet to look into the various functions in-depth. INFPs use Ne and Si and ISFPs use Se and Ni... correct? From what I have read so far, I relate to Se a bit more so than Ne. The differences between Si and Ni are still foregin to me.

The idea of INFPs looking at things for what they "could be" is something i've always found myself not relating to. I think that I am perfectly capable of doing so, but it is not something that crosses my mind right away. When I look at an object, I see it for what it is. A desk is a desk and a tree is a tree. I may ponder the symbolism of that object at brief... but at the end of the day, it is still a desk/tree or what have you. If I were describing to you the plant on my desk here next to me... I would find myself describing the aesthetic details- the colors, patterns, the way it feels, how it smells, etc.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
I think most of the things in the OP could apply to both infps' and isfps'. You just need to ask yourself WHY you do or prefer those things to get to the bottom of your type.

In regards to the potential of reality to "be more".. both isfps' and infps' are probably idealistic through Fi. However, some things relating to this;

but I also see ISFPs as having a rough time. I know we mostly see their happy face around here, but I think their Fi values can be more difficult to deal with because they're more aware of the discrepancy between their feelings and reality. INFPs have delusional Ne keeping the hope alive . INxJs are pretty misunderstood also, and that is always rough. I think Ji-doms need people to understand their inner world more though. I remember reading Jung's comments on Pi saying there is less identification with their own inner world of perceptions, but for Ji people, everything is related back to the self to judge it.
I think Fi is arguably the most subjective function, being introverted, judging and value-oriented. Everything is related back to the self to understand it.
Se is arguably the most objective function, as it's perspective is centered on concrete objects which exist outside itself, without attaching any judgment to it, as it's a perceiving function. It's just one way of looking at the relationship between functions, and in the ISFP, it can make them painfully aware of how the external world does not meet their internal idealistic model.
I personally think a lot of infps' on personality boards are actually isfps'. For me, reality has never been that bad for me, because Ne gives me a cushioning effect. So the world is shit?, I'm not going to be bogged down in it, because Ne is always a light in the darkness. I can subsist in Ne rather than be so torn apart by the world's lack of coherence with my own ideals. I actually admire isfps' A LOT because Se really doesn't give an Fi-dom cushioning at all. It throws ideals into a stark reality they perceive through pretty objective lenses.

·
Registered
81 Posts
INFPs use Ne and Si and ISFPs use Se and Ni... correct?
Yeah. That's the theory, anyway.

INFP= Fi, Ne, Si, Te
ISFP= Fi, Se, Ni, Te

I've tested as an INFP and ISFJ before just because of a high Si score... it still gives me doubts.

I think hanging out in the forums is helpful. See what kind of people type themselves as INFP/ISFP and what their differences are, and if you recognize yourself, that's what matters...:happy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts