Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, supposedly INFPs and ISTPs are not very compatible, thanks to the whole NF - ST clash. However, my best friend is an ISTP and we get on really well; we have the same need for space, have a fair bit in common and often seem to think in similar ways - although, neither of us are great at starting/maintaining conversations, which can be kinda awkward, sometimes! So:

*Any INFPs who have ISTPs as friends? How does the friendship work?

*What do you think of ISTPs, on the whole? Any clashes?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I love the conversations I have with INFPs. They always come up with some perspective that never would have occurred to me. Sometimes their ideas are just pure crazy, but other times they are brilliant. I like the way they know what they feel and how they got to the point where they are. It helps me to think through my own perspective. I can think of no one better to discuss deeper issues of life and relationships with.

The problem is, conversation is about all I can do with the INFPs I know. We have such few common interests that whenever we do any kind of activity, one of us ends up bored and/or frustrated. The only exception is my mom, because she long developed a passion for the kinds of hands-on art that an SP can easily get into (quilting, crochet, etc).

·
Registered
420 Posts
ISTP with INFP bestfriend here (eh...our friendship is going on 8 years by now). It took us about 2 years of awkwardness before we got comfortable with each other to spend a day just saying absolutely nothing. He usually uses me as a sounding board for his thoughts and opinions, while I use him as a moral compass for which direction I should face in life. Our tastes are pretty similar so we'd usually watch movies together though the exceptions are extreme violence/explicit scenes and extreme cheese/romantic stuff. I hide behind my hands when the kissy scenes start up while he hides behind his hands when the blood starts spurting lol.

·
Registered
185 Posts
*first INFP post :tongue:*

I really like ISTPs! I like being around them a lot. I like their sense of adventure. And they seem to appreciate music which adds about a thousand brownie points! And we're both very... for lack of a better word, 'chill' too, which is really refreshing to be around.

Conversation is really funny and quite matter-of-fact which is entertaining, but sometimes I feel like it's hard for them to really 'understand' who I am. I feel like they bring out a different side of me than who I 'really' am.

I'd say they're one of my favorite types for casual friendships, but I don't think I could be super close to them. Nonetheless I really appreciate them and enjoy their company.

Reactions: Falling

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lately I've been seeing an ISTP guy and the conversations has somehow always ended up being about something like roller-coasting or murdering someone. Usually it's a calm atmosphere though, and he is fond of joking with me and saying random things. I feel like he's fun to be with but I doubt I'll get any further on the emotional level with him.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I dont really have any experience with INFP's. My sister is one and we clash a lot, and disagree on a lot of things but we're both comfortable in each others presence.

The only other experience ive had with an INFP was with a girl who was upset at a party I was at, one time. I had never met her before but she seemed down about having so few friends, and how a lot of people didnt like her. She seemed like a sweet girl, so when she said "Not many people like me, I dont have many friends" (or something along those lines) I spontaneously said "well, you've made a new one tonight then, havent you" and held out my hand to give her a high five... She was flattered and happy, and I was happy that I had done a good deed.

What's funny is, I havent seen her since. And that was nearly 2 years ago.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,668 Posts
A good friend of mine whom i've known for years is an ISTP, I genuinely just feel comfortable in his presence, he has a pretty grounded vibe to him, no fluff or pretensions, we just seem drawn to each other for some reason and probably why we have stayed friends for a long time and no, there's no attraction, we just happen to just have a happy medium if you like. We usually just hang out playing video games together and bitching about life or whatever, chill times!

There is some sort of not understanding of each other though on some stuff, just in our opinions and some things we just don't agree on, and how he goes about certain stuff, I let it blow over a lot of the time *sigh*. We do agree on quite a few things though and joke about that! All in all, the friendship gets me to adapt my communication style to an extent but it does feel kinda exhausting depending on which way the conversation is heading.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm in love with an ISTP!! He and I have had a growing relationship for the last 2 years. INFPs are naturally willing to understand people to the best of their ability but this relationship only works, I've found, when the ISTP is dedicated to understanding and working with the INFP. The INFP also has to not be so gosh darn sensitive!! Lol.

My guy is an absolute dream! We have some tough times (very seldom) but I just have to keep chill, not take it personally and he'll tell me the next day, sorry for being an ass.

My step sister is also ISTP and we never got along until we made an effort to understand each other through MBTI. Then immediately we clicked and found thousands of things we appreciate about each other.
It can always work for those who are willing and able ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
My brother is an ISTP, and we get along pretty well. My brother and I both love to do exploration/puzzle games, so that's where we connect. I feel like we can just sit and think and not say anything, and we're both like:
"Wow, you really get that quiet doesn't mean uninterested."
Although my brother and I get along fairly well, I definitely see how other people with the same types wouldn't get along.
Since ISTPs use Ti as their dominant, they can come off as uncaring or abrupt or inconsiderate.
That's usually the only cause for arguments. His Ti and my Fi don't understand the others perspective. Some examples might be: If he tells me something harshly and it hurts my feelings. If I don't give him enough space. If he does something that goes against what I believe is morally just.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd be able to have friendships with ISTPs and they'd be fun, but I don't think I'd ever develop a real connection with them. I like to talk about complex, deep, theoretical topics far removed from the physical world, and I like to talk about these things often.

I feel like ISTPs either get bored and zone out, or don't understand me when I talk in such a way, and I NEED that kind of talk to form closer connections with people. I guess they are fun to hang out with, but in the long run, I look for more substance and connection in relationships with people. I don't see personality clashes with ISTPs and INFPs.

To sum it all up, I think I could get along with ISTPs, but the relationship will never be as deep as I desire my relationships to be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, supposedly INFPs and ISTPs are not very compatible, thanks to the whole NF - ST clash. However, my best friend is an ISTP and we get on really well; we have the same need for space, have a fair bit in common and often seem to think in similar ways - although, neither of us are great at starting/maintaining conversations, which can be kinda awkward, sometimes! So:

*Any INFPs who have ISTPs as friends? How does the friendship work?

*What do you think of ISTPs, on the whole? Any clashes?
Ok, only 8 years late to the party. I’m INFP. I am affected by my strong emotions which, due to my tough upbringing, comes across as aggressive. I’m often mistaken for an extravert as I’m bold and opinionated and like to lead- I view my individuality as paramount so do not like following the crowd. I care deeply for people, especially those in a disadvantaged position and see it my duty to protect those that can’t protect themselves. But I am prone to being deeply affected by bad relationships (both plutonic and romantic) and find emotionally cold leader/ manager/ business/ sales people extremely difficult to work with. However, my best friend is an ISTP. He is very logical, cool, controlled and very mentally sharp. I call him “the mechanic” as when faced with a problem, he shuts out everything and focuses on a solution - one that works, rather than one that everyone else has done. So our common ground is our curiosity and unwillingness to follow the crowd- especially if the crowd is doing things in an inefficient way. We both have values of treating people properly, doing the job thoroughly and have no time for lazy people with negative attitudes. We are polar opposites in some areas (logic vs emotions) but as we both have strong opinions and values and aren’t afraid to share them; we have great conversations. We are able to separate the person from the argument, so disagree often- but it never ends up with bad feeling. We have called each other out before and both took it well. So, in short, yes, INFPs and ISTPs can definitely be good friends - we are!

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
My daughter is INFP & her brother (my stepson) is ISTP. They are very close. However he can be insensitive. I’d say to her. But honestly he just is in general. I think it irritates me more when he is with her, just because it’s in her nature to be so conscientious of others. So I’d say maybe he is just too callous or inconsiderate at times. But I mean who am I really to talk. Im ESTP I have the same issue. But I think because I have tert Fe I am quicker to notice if I hurt someone and care to rectify it. I notice my istp step son, either doesn’t notice at all. But if he does notice he likes to play down and mock instead of just clear the air and rectify someone’s feelings 🤷🏻‍♀️

Anyways they are extremely close. He could just be a little kinder. And she could spare being a know it all 🤣

1 - 12 of 12 Posts