Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: So you INFPs. . .What did you do when you were kids?

Background: I've got a 10-years-old INFP little brother-in-law who loves video games and we (my iNTJ husband) and I play with him frequently. But we don't have a ton of Ne :tongue: and we can't play video games with him all the time...so what are some other activities we can do with him or even let him do on his own that he'd enjoy?

·
5,124 Posts
crafts perhaps? or something else like that. I spent a lot of time on that around that age. At ten make-belief games might be considered a bit too silly... but perhaps in some form. Board games and card games. Perhaps making up a story together from pictures, like that every minute the word pass from one person to the next in line and that person get a new picture or word, and is to include that in the story before his minute is out. Making imaginative food, experimenting. Reading books, or listening to them. Various kinds of projects where you learn stuff...

·
Banned
4,187 Posts
I played a lot of video games and read many novels :tongue: Went through a pile of Agatha Christie novels. Ian Fleming's James Bond stories were also pretty cool. I was around 8-10 at the time.

Hmm--it also depends on an INFP child's other interests. Some INFPs might prefer solitary activities (such as drawing and story writing), others might prefer collaborative activities (board games, community service projects, etc...), and the rest might fall somewhere in between and/or prefer a collaborative spin on commonly solitary activities (from individual story writing to chain storytelling, individual drawing to group mural painting, etc...)

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I drew, played with barbies, played truth or dare, played house, played baseball (though it was moreso me just throwing the ball in the air and trying to hit it when it came down. I very rarely actually played the game,) played on the computer..that's all I can think of at the moment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I played a lot of video games, read books, hunted vermin and small birds, ran around in the yard and let my imagination take hold, rode my bike, liked looking among rocks for Indian arrowheads, rode four-wheelers around the pasture, climbed trees and read magazines, mostly just found interesting things to do in the environment I grew up in. I understand if this was of absolutely no help, but it gave me an excuse to reflect back on the fun times of my childhood.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You could rarely find my nose outside of a book.

Reactions: attic

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
- Read books extensively. My mom took us to the library every two weeks and I'd check out several novels at a time. I also would read the encyclopedias at home (pre-internet days)
- Listened to music constantly & was memorized by it, as it was often a backdrop to my fantasies....I might have benefitted from someone mentoring me with an instrument, but I wasn't motivated to self-teach
- Excessive daydreaming/fantasizing, and I especially liked motifs of tragedy & despair
- Played Barbies a lot. Barbies were my favorite toys because they allowed me to be very creative. I created very complex personalities and storylines for them. It was a whole Barbie world complete with maps and lineages. I made new clothes for them out of scraps of my old clothes. I was very inspired by Barbie dolls.
- Lots & lots of drawing + little arts & crafts projects I'd come up with for myself. I drew people a lot (both cartoons and more realistic), I made homemade greeting cards, I constructed buildings out of paper, I drew a comic strip for many years, etc. I liked to create characters and whole worlds for them. My parents gave me the whole half of an upstairs "family room" for my play area which amounted to an art studio for me.
- Writing, from short stories to silly poems & songs. I had an interest in rhythm over imagery for poems and songs. I started counting syllables long before I knew anything about meter.
- Watched cartoons with absurd humor & lots of wit, such as Looney Toons (Animanics, et al). I never had a strong interest in TV though.

I disliked games of any kind. I disliked the competition and the rules. I never had a taste for video games or sports.
I did invent "ghost baseball" which was very much like Calvin Ball as far as making up rules as you go. I also made up a game using a scrabble board where you had to accurately predict an overturned letter before you turned it right side up again, and if you did not, then you had to smell your own feet. Lots of laughs with that one.

So reviewing that, the theme for me was creative & imaginative stuff & things that were either wacky or a bit dark. I don't know if that helps any, as people have varying interests within types.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
At that age, I loved anything related to music (I was obsessed with it), but I also just loved anything weird and quirky and out there. Maybe make up a story together. My brother and sister and I used to play this game where each person would start writing down a story, but would leave the last sentence only half finished. Then, we'd fold over the top of the page so that the next person would only see the half-written sentence and not everything that came before it. We'd then all swap papers, continue each other's stories, and repeat the process until the paper was full. We'd then open them up and have a good laugh over how bizarre the stories turned out.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Question: So you INFPs. . .What did you do when you were kids?

Background: I've got a 10-years-old INFP little brother-in-law who loves video games and we (my iNTJ husband) and I play with him frequently. But we don't have a ton of Ne :tongue: and we can't play video games with him all the time...so what are some other activities we can do with him or even let him do on his own that he'd enjoy?
Is it awkward that I go all -awww- with the thought of a tiny INFP there somewhere.

Why don't you take him to movies or watch a new movie at home or take him to museums for kids, especially science ones (I can never forget my first science museum visit!), they are pretty much fun :p You know not every INFP kid grows up reading poems or whatever. I loved pictures of encyclopedias when I was reallly small xD or you can build toy models with him. That would be freakishly cool. I loved it when my aunt would draw with me but that was around 4-7. I think it is safe to treat him like INTP, just something to spark that Ne because otherwise I don't think an INFP child needs too much company, really. I had my wild imagination with me all the time and the books other time :p I did loved playing with kids and leading them to my imaginary make-believe world adventures but since there is an age gap I am not sure if you could engage with him on that level, if you do that would be super cool also :D

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
Hmmm. I mostly played on my own, but perhaps you make a few of these group activities:

- Reading At school. At home. At other people's home. Loved it. Also read educational books when I was younger. For instance: read a book about the flags of the world and memorized them all.
- Lego I built just about anything with Lego and after building played a bit with it. Bulding it was the most fun though.
- Fantasy play What I mean with this: re-enacted car races or Tour de France stages with bottle tops xD or I imagined my plushies were alive like in Toy Story and that we had great adventures. Stuff like that.
- Video games My mom bought me a NES when I was 5. Hooked on videogames ever since. Singleplayer mainly.
- Playing outdoors Cycling. Inline skating. Played some soccer/football with others. Practiced soccer and tennis skills on my own. The wall of our house was my sparring partner.
- Drawing This was something I mainly did when I was at my granny's house. Can't quite remember what I drew though. Bit of everything I suppose.

I also loved board and cardgames but since nobody in my family actually liked playing them (and I had no real friends) I didn't play very often. However I can imagine that an INFP kid would love it, especially if there is a story or fantasy element to the game.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hmm, 10 years-old. Yeah, I was and still am an avid gamer. I can suggest trying different types of games; there are some that are better for non-gamers and beginners. But me, I played a lot of pretend. I adored the backpacking trips I went on with my dad in the summers, or the trips to the beach walking along the coast and collecting seashells. I played with pokémon cards, sometimes dolls, hot wheels cars, stuffed animals, and I would personify the latter two and they'd have relationships and stuff lol. I spent weekends exploring the huge forest behind my house and even made a swing with all the rope my dad kept in the garage. I liked going ice-skating and roller-skating; it made me feel like I was flying. If you took me to the pool, I would spend hours floating on my back, pretending to be a mermaid, etc. until my fingers were raisins. Can't think of anything else. :p

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I really loved drawing at that age! I drew a lot of people and animals, especially cats and horses because that's what I was really into back then. I also liked making comic strips, they were mostly about animals too.

Sometimes I made my own magazines which was a lot of fun. One of the magazines I actually still do every now and then! It's all about making fun of my dad (in a very loving but kind of sarcastic way). I started it when I was mad at my father and decided to let my anger out by writing funny articles about his annoying habits and our inside jokes. Then I drew pictures on Paint to accompany the text and sent it to my dad. He loved it. New issues of the magazine started coming out roughly every six months (it took time to collect enough material to report on since I was only focusing on one person) and they were always highly anticipated by the whole family. I once tried to recruit my little brother as a journalist but he didn't quite grasp the idea of being sarcastic in a loving manner. But yeah, that might be a fun activity! It could be about anything he's particularly interested in, for example I also did a magazine about horses and one about clothes.

Also as others have suggested before, books. My parents took me to the library every week when I was a kid and I loved it.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Board games, kitchen experiments....make volcanoes out of papier mache or plaster of Paris and then make them explode with menthos in cola, salt dough creations are dead easy and can be cooked, painted and kept. Egyptian hieroglyphs....make some name plates for bedroom doors. Invisible writing using white crayons and paint with black water colour afterwards.
Bubble pictures using paint and washing up liquid and a straw, then imprint the paper. Full on body painting, or face paints.
Make a board game of the digestive system and teach him about the digestive system at the same time, or any other body system.
Make paper cut outs and decorate the house or pick stuff up from nature....like do some bark rubbings and learn about tree species at the same time. Go out and look at the weather and learn about clouds and what they mean.
Just get out a load of paper, glitter and glue and see what happens.
Have you ever made stained glass window biscuits?

BBC - Food - Recipes : Stained glass window biscuits

Oh, and something fun I did with my kids once was to make animals out of various fruit and veg using cocktail sticks (to hold sections together) and googly eyes, then you can make an animation or just take some pictures. Then eat them if it's not too traumatic!!

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
Age 12 and up I spent most of my time at the barn with my horse, swimming in a pond or pool or reading in my room. I watched TV at night.

Age 12 and backwards, I played in the trees and forest (no lie) and made forts in trees, sewers and at the base of trees. We had an in-ground pool, I swam a lot. Stayed in my room a lot and read, cut pictures out of magazines, decorated my room, played with dolls, played records. My friend and I had a fruit stand/lemonade stand so in the summer there was that. We found a pony wandering around and between the two of us took care of that for a few weeks. There are a million more things, but of course I've forgotten most of it.

I remember around age 8 I had meningitis (father said "you had the good meningitis, not the bad meningitis" ...lol, good meningitis?) and I remember being in isolation in the hospital for a very long time. When I finally got out I remember being very weak, like my muscles had atrophied. I had to gain my strength back slowly.

Except for meningitis, I really did have an idyllic childhood.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would quite often play outside with my friends. They'd like to do role-playing games, whereas I just preferred it when some of the older girls would tell us their own made up scary stories.

Probably won't sound like something I'd do for fun, per se, but one of the things I most enjoyed was sitting in the front seat with my mum in the car. We'd jam to the music we loved most while she drove around. Still have waves of nostalgia when I'm in the car with her singing along to The Housemartins, The Cranberries, Depeche Mode and the like. Quite a rarity these days, due to being a driver myself.

Also loved sitting in my sister's room as she got ready to go out or something to that effect... while listening to Eminem or Simple Minds... or Oasis.

Y'know, I just think music was the most enjoyable thing in my childhood. :kitteh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts