Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An INFP posted in the INFP Facebook group (for those of you who have Facebook, you might want to join in, it's interesting!) this statement: "I prefer people that are just as broken as me. Their eccentricities always keep me interested in them"

It also seems clear from the INFP Type description that: INFP seems like to befriend with the underdogs, or at least be able to relate much more with them than the "normal" people.

It somehow reminds me very much of the Joker's saying in Batman The Dark Knight:

"Don't talk like one of them. You're not! Even if you'd like to be. To them, you're just a freak, like me! They need you right now, but when they don't, they'll cast you ...out, like a leper! You see, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve"
~ Joker, The Dark Knight

What do you guys think regarding this thing?

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
No, and I don't think I've ever hanged out with any "underdogs".

Edited: Oh, sure, underdogs, but in my eyes everyone was "normal" / "not normal" in their own specific kind of way.

Reactions: GreenCoyote

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I don't think it's a coincidence that this reminded you of that saying from The Dark Knight. When I watched it, I sided with the saying. I favor joker because of it, honestly; that and I like the color purple, though not as much as blue (off topic). So-called "Normal people" usually have their peace for whatever reason. To my understanding, nobody's normal, because everyone posesses emotion on different levels.

I feel "normal people" is just a label given to those who safeguard their emotions, or keep them hidden to others in the way this INFP said it. I relate to underdogs too, but it's because 1. I am an underdog and 2. those who experience something intense normally have intense emotions, which he may think is interesting (makes me think wtf? blood red dark appeal in mind?), but I disagree.

I am surrounded by broken people in every day life, as well as those who strive to make a difference. There are those who fall in between, of course, and those that are on the extreme (Rock bottom, or seemingly successful/successfully working with success in mind?) and, well, I find myself attracted to people who have experienced these things, and hope to make a positive change with it, be it a positive or negative experience. An example is a guy that came out to become complacent, living in a way to develop himself further despite his back draws. His regret limits him, but he still works hard.. Harder than any 'civilized' person that just goes on in complete bliss from day to day.

If I tread on anyones' values, please don't take it personally.

Reactions: Blue Butterfly

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I am normal. The people that don't care are the ones that are not normal. People that are broken deserve to be cared for too so yes I like those people way more than I care for cold hearted people.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think everyone is equal... I don't ever consider someone the underdog whenever I meet someone new they have just as equal chance as anyone else I meet to get to know me I try my best not to judge at all... but I get what you're saying... if I had a choice between getting to know the champ or the runner up I'd probably pick the runner up just because I feel it would be the right thing to do

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I think we like to befriend with the underdogs because partly we feel that we can learn a lot from them. I think we are the ones who mastered the knowledge about how we can learn from the seemingly ''weakest'' in society, we feel that we can acquire wisdom that way even though others may not think so. Other than that, we also feel compassion and a strong sense of justice.

Do I make sense?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Well, I'm an underdog myself.
I think that's because we love their passion, and all that...
well, I've had a very underdog living. When I was 13, I went out with gang people and these things...and I remmeber that I always have been very wild, and all that.
I like underdogs because they're free and they are alive, unlike the rest of the people.
And because they're broken just like me. Its a matter of truth too.
We must keep doing this no matter what they say ;)

Reactions: niki

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I used to do this, but lately it seems to attract people with serious mental illness and bad intentions, so I'm going to have to readjust my approach to life.

Reactions: Azure Bass

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I think it is the other way around. We are not looking for underdogs per se, just because they are underdogs.

Rather, we are looking for people who are compatible with us. Usually, such people are not mainstream society. And while many can carve out a good existence of their own, being non-mainstream is somewhat correlated with being an underdog.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
An INFP posted in the INFP Facebook group (for those of you who have Facebook, you might want to join in, it's interesting!) this statement: "I prefer people that are just as broken as me. Their eccentricities always keep me interested in them"

It also seems clear from the INFP Type description that: INFP seems like to befriend with the underdogs, or at least be able to relate much more with them than the "normal" people.

It somehow reminds me very much of the Joker's saying in Batman The Dark Knight:

"Don't talk like one of them. You're not! Even if you'd like to be. To them, you're just a freak, like me! They need you right now, but when they don't, they'll cast you ...out, like a leper! You see, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve"
~ Joker, The Dark Knight

What do you guys think regarding this thing?
i'd have to agree fully with that. my friends are as werid as me. i actually like saying"i'm not one of the normals"i do feel different and my anti-conformist tendencies like that. i am just not so interested in"perfect"people i mean people whohaven't seen any hardship and are just blindly sunny and happy. i like to help people i like to feel useful!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Who wants to hang out with people who subscribe to societal norms and cultural cliches? I like hanging out with the reject cause they are some of the most real people you can find. Not better than others just more honest about who they are and what they want. Less judgemental and superficial.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I don't consider myself an underdog by any means, but generally, I am attracted to the type.

I think it's more-so under the basis that I feel like I haven't lived up to my latent potential. In some respects I am incredibly pleased with myself and that allows me to be confident, but in other I will always wonder what would have happened if I had a better support system during certain periods in my life. While I acknowledge you can never play a game of regrets, you can still "wonder."

So, that leads me to being particularly curious about people that are often socially rejected or "underdogs"-esque. I think -everyone- has potential, but it's more interesting to see someone who had the odds stacked above them, rise up and prove people or even themselves, wrong.

If I can, I like to witness it. I will never take credit for any of it though.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I often support the underdog and have done so more actively in the past (I used to be a staunch supporter of gay rights, though in my country today, homosexuality tends to be supported if not tolerated so my support has lessened.) I think its rooted into a desire to change or beat the system and bring the world closer to our perception of the ideal.

In regards to my belief these days though, I think the lines and boundaries between underdogs and top dogs isn't immediaely clear. In nature, prey often survive by being guile, resourceful, shrewd or cunning whilst the predator uses all of its energy (and tactics) to solely prey on the physically weaker to survive, as if it was its only choice. Who is truly the underdog in this situation? I think that the "conforming masses" are often at a serious loss compared to the less mainstream outsiders who may have had to handle situations and challenges the more mainstream counterparts have never had a chance to grow from.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
"I prefer people that are just as broken as me. Their eccentricities always keep me interested in them"

I think it's more along the lines that the so-called "underdogs" are drawn more to us (and to other NFs, really) more than we're drawn to them. That's not to say we don't like them or make good friends--in fact, their friendships tend to develop more quickly--but do we really seek them out? If we do, on what basis do we feel the need to? If I were to guess, probably due to sympathic feelings of, "They don't belong anymore than I do."

(The above is speculation and might be wrong, so feel free to say it's false.)

The whole "siding with the underdog" thing is also an Enneagram Six trait, so I am likely to support them if the opportunity/need arises. But I almost always see people as equals (an INFP trait?). It creates a sort of duality: I don't see the "top dogs" any better than the "underdogs," so I don't treat them much differently, yet I won't fight for the "top dogs" as often. I do relate better to people who see the world differently, but that doesn't necessarily make them an underdog.

I'm more wondering what makes a person an underdog. There are certainly people who don't fit into society, but since when does that put people at a disadvantage? Are they the ones victimized by society/individuals, or are they the ones who have a victimization complex (who may or may not be true victims)? I guess I'd consider the minority populations without equal rights/considerations to be underdogs... Yet I'm a part of at least one of those minorities and don't consider myself to be an underdog. So, I guess... is "underdog status" decided by the individual or the group and how?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I like strongly independent individuals. They are not underdogs, per se, but society might mark them as that because they carve out their own paths. I find they have reserves of enormous energy to draw from, and I get to see them in their element. Does that make any sense?

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
I don't see myself as a reject of society and generally, I prefer strong independent, intelligent non-crazy, non-dramatic people to be close to me. In the past, I have championed underdogs on the internet if I perceive bullying toward them & I'll speak up on their behalf. I do receive a salary to advocate for the disadvantaged.

The people that surround me now in my life (friends, family) I would not classify as underdogs.

n.

1. One that is expected to lose a contest or struggle, as in sports or politics.
2. One that is at a disadvantage.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In regards to my belief these days though, I think the lines and boundaries between underdogs and top dogs isn't immediaely clear. In nature, prey often survive by being guile, resourceful, shrewd or cunning whilst the predator uses all of its energy (and tactics) to solely prey on the physically weaker to survive, as if it was its only choice. Who is truly the underdog in this situation? I think that the "conforming masses" are often at a serious loss compared to the less mainstream outsiders who may have had to handle situations and challenges the more mainstream counterparts have never had a chance to grow from.
I'm more wondering what makes a person an underdog. There are certainly people who don't fit into society, but since when does that put people at a disadvantage? Are they the ones victimized by society/individuals, or are they the ones who have a victimization complex (who may or may not be true victims)? I guess I'd consider the minority populations without equal rights/considerations to be underdogs... Yet I'm a part of at least one of those minorities and don't consider myself to be an underdog. So, I guess... is "underdog status" decided by the individual or the group and how?
interesting perspectives :)
thx for sharing 'em.

Reactions: Paradigm

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't know about befriending underdogs ..

I do however root for the underdog team/player in sports and tv shows. I don't really know why I do that .. but I find it rather strange to root for the winner: he's already winning, what's the point of rooting for him?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I root for underdogs all the time, often quite irrationally, so I actually came up with a name for it: underdogmatic

I think of it as the rooting for the underdog beyond all common sense.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts