Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to start this
Ok I am currently living at home due to a difficult situation and my siblings are the most depressing and negative people I know. They have no goals or ambitions to do anything with their life and carry a very negative aura and vibe.

They lack energy and have no real interests or hobbys. It really affects my positive outlook on life in general which I know is not a good thing but energy I believe is contagious, it is difficult for myself to be positive and happy when surrounded by negative people with negative energy. They are also boring. I struggle to hold any meaningful conversations with them as they seem to dislike whenever I try to bring any positivity.

The overall energy in the home is negative and its starting to effect the quality of relationships I have with other people at university and old friends and I think they have noticed I am lacking energy and the sense of humour I once had. I have discreetly tried to make it clear to them that they should look to increase their energy and positive outlook on life but they seem to shrug it off and make it seem like I am just trying to bother them.

I am the blacksheep of the family no doubt about it because I am the only one who has dreams of making something of my life and my siblings are short term thinkers and I am a long term thinker. There is a chance I may have to live with them for the rest of the university year which ends in May however due to circumstances I may even have to live with them until August. I am aware their is nothing I can do to change them as they seem set in their negative ways.

Being an INFP I believe this effects me even more than the average person and its a horrible feeling.

RANT OVER

·
Registered
81 Posts
If they're struggling with depression, I'd try to be emotionally supportive of them and offer to try and help them find some activity or hobby that could ignite some passion in them. If their "negative energies" are beginning to bring you down, then the best you can do is to resist that pull and remain yourself. Maybe your positivity will bring them back up over time*. I'm assuming that if you're in bad situation and you have two or more siblings around doing actually nothing, then the least they could do is find themselves some minimum wage job to help keep you all from starving.

*I'm not a doctor, or a feelings-man. I have no idea if this actually works.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts