Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

Super new here!

I just found out that I am an INFP it sounds completely like me :)
BUT "an INFP is good in communication are often poets & writers. INFP's are Speaking EASLY other languages"?? hmm not this INFP type one...

That's the only thing where I am literally the opposite it costed me soooo much time to speak English and I am still struggling with having good conversations (fast) I often say things that I actually didn't want to say and have a hard time to explain long stories. In terms of coming to a point. Even in my native language. Also remembering names, "difficult" words, and so on...

I have ADD and Dyslexia, which makes I am slow in processing information.
So these things are understandable why I have problems with speaking foreign languages & expressing.
But I know a lot of people with dyslexia that are less suffering from these things. Which makes me always think that something else is going on? (I never had an accident or something)

Despite that, I am also confused with my personality type, especially because I read here more people that have ADD en dyslexia with this type (INFP). So it's a common thing? But why do they describe on the 16 personalities test website that we are born to communicate and speak foreign languages?

I have been thinking that I always have had (maybe still) huge problems with accepting my dyslexia I always think "life would be soo much better if I wouldn't have this, I would be way more confident in groups & speaking and sharing opinions" Nobody really understands this, everyone says always "you can read well and spell well, that's the most important thing. I barely notice your problems", but it doesn't feel to me like that.

But now that I know I'm an INFP, I finally understand a bit that I want to communicate better. My dyslexia probably frustrates me so much because I love to write and communicate and bring knowledge to others, but my dyslexia doesn't allow me to have conversations and strongly substantiated opinions. Because I have trouble linking my thoughts through words and sentences.

Lovely people, I would love to find people with the same problems! Share your stories. It would mean the world to me honestly :)

kisses from Belgium

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
...an INFP is good in communication are often poets & writers. INFP's are Speaking EASLY other languages"?? hmm not this INFP type one... But why do they describe on the 16 personalities test website that we are born to communicate and speak foreign languages?... I love to write and communicate and bring knowledge to others, but my dyslexia doesn't allow me to have conversations and strongly substantiated opinions. Because I have trouble linking my thoughts through words and sentences...
Hi @Belgiangirl

Just my personal opinion, but your struggle to speak, has more to do with, I think, your "I" (introvert). Did you know that Mrs. Isabel Briggs Myers said that INFPs often prefer the written word to communicate?

She says in her book, Gifts Differing: "Introverted feeling in INFPs is so reserved that they often prefer the written word as the way to communicate what they feel without making personal contact."

About foreign languages, I had to be forced to take French and Spanish in school.

But wait!

... INFPs are supposed to love foreign languages, according to so many knock-off MBTI sites out there. Mrs. Isabel Briggs does mention "languages" in her book but they are ALL examples of the written word.

She says "INFPs usually have a gift for language..."

...however...

every single example she sites, in one paragraph, is a gift for the written word.

• "Editor of the school magazine..."
  • "Editor of the yearbook..."
  • "Literary editor of the magazine..."
  • "Editor of her college paper..."
  • "The fourth, who had the same combination of imagination and language but less ability to use it in the outer world, wrote haunting poetry in which she spoke for the 'dreamers' who 'drift across the horizons of the living'."

She goes on to say this:

"...The literary tendency evident in this type derives from the combination of intuition and feeling. Intuition supplies imagination and insight, feeling supplies the urge to communicate and share and the command of language is apparently a joint product of intuition's facility with symbols and feeling's artistic discrimination and taste, Thus, all four NF types should have the aptitude. However, the extraverted types, ENFP and ENFJ, and even the introverted intuitives who extravert with feeling, INFJ, are likely to take a shortcut and do their communicating by the spoken word, as teachers, clergy, psychologists, and so on. Introverted feeling in INFPs is so reserved that they often prefer the written word as the way to communicate what they feel without making personal contact."

Maybe you are struggling with English, because it's not natural for you, that sounds normal to me. Don't beat yourself up. I feel bad for you. Learning English, is admirable, keep it up, if you wish but...... please know... just because a pseudo-MBTI site, says something about INFPs, well, that site might not have a clue about anything. A sham! If you go to Google Books I know you can read parts of Gifts Differing by the co-creator of MBTI for FREE! Read what she says about INFPs. I don't remember everything that is in that book, but her descriptions, ring TRUE to me!!!

:jazz:

Also, please note: I never remember names.

I don't speak much and when I do -- it is slow and stilted, pausing often. My eye contact is nonexistent.

I do however LOVE the written word, more than the spoken word.

Acting -- it's second nature to me. :heart:

Poetry... just yuck, but BEAUTY... it's my religion. :cool:

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,593 Posts
Don't let the stereotypes get you down! I, for one, am a terrible poet! Though I'm a musician, I'm not the best musician I could be because I don't like to practice. I like to write, but no one else likes what I write! Even my dearest true love has never read what I've written:LOL:

Definitely take @Sily 's advice and read from sources that get beyond stereotypes. Follow your own interests and gifts. As for ADD and dyslexia, those can't stop you from being INFP! Hopefully no one would ever say to someone, "Oh, you have 6 fingers instead of 5 and you have autism, so you don't get a personality type!" How terrible! You be you, and show those stereotypes that they can't hold you back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi @Belgiangirl

Just my personal opinion, but your struggle to speak, has more to do with, I think, your "I" (introvert). Did you know that Mrs. Isabel Briggs Myers said that INFPs often prefer the written word to communicate?

She says in her book, Gifts Differing: "Introverted feeling in INFPs is so reserved that they often prefer the written word as the way to communicate what they feel without making personal contact."

About foreign languages, I had to be forced to take French and Spanish in school.

But wait!

... INFPs are supposed to love foreign languages, according to so many knock-off MBTI sites out there. Mrs. Isabel Briggs does mention "languages" in her book but they are ALL examples of the written word.

She says "INFPs usually have a gift for language..."

...however...

every single example she sites, in one paragraph, is a gift for the written word.

• "Editor of the school magazine..."
  • "Editor of the yearbook..."
  • "Literary editor of the magazine..."
  • "Editor of her college paper..."
  • "The fourth, who had the same combination of imagination and language but less ability to use it in the outer world, wrote haunting poetry in which she spoke for the 'dreamers' who 'drift across the horizons of the living'."
She goes on to say this:

"...The literary tendency evident in this type derives from the combination of intuition and feeling. Intuition supplies imagination and insight, feeling supplies the urge to communicate and share and the command of language is apparently a joint product of intuition's facility with symbols and feeling's artistic discrimination and taste, Thus, all four NF types should have the aptitude. However, the extraverted types, ENFP and ENFJ, and even the introverted intuitives who extravert with feeling, INFJ, are likely to take a shortcut and do their communicating by the spoken word, as teachers, clergy, psychologists, and so on. Introverted feeling in INFPs is so reserved that they often prefer the written word as the way to communicate what they feel without making personal contact."

Maybe you are struggling with English, because it's not natural for you, that sounds normal to me. Don't beat yourself up. I feel bad for you. Learning English, is admirable, keep it up, if you wish but...... please know... just because a pseudo-MBTI site, says something about INFPs, well, that site might not have a clue about anything. A sham! If you go to Google Books I know you can read parts of Gifts Differing by the co-creator of MBTI for FREE! Read what she says about INFPs. I don't remember everything that is in that book, but her descriptions, ring TRUE to me!!!

:jazz:

Also, please note: I never remember names.

I don't speak much and when I do -- it is slow and stilted, pausing often. My eye contact is nonexistent.

I do however LOVE the written word, more than the spoken word.

Acting -- it's second nature to me. ❤

Poetry... just yuck, but BEAUTY... it's my religion. :cool:

Hi!

Sorry for my late response! I haven't checked the website in a while.
Never thought someone would react honestly haha. But I am so grateful that there is someone somewhere in the world that gives me pep talk :) So sweet of you! And thanks for the book recommendation I definitely will check it out.

Yeah, I am not sure if it is because I am an introvert. I had periods in my life where I felt very comfortable in an extraverted setting. For me, it really depends on the group of people. But for the last years,
I am definitely more comfortable alone. I am wondering if it would switch again some time.

Also, I don't know if you're into zodiac signs? Because I am an Aquarius (sun) and my ascendant is a Leo.
So it's kinda different from the INFP as well. But my draconic sign is cancer which is totally comparable with INFP.
It's so interesting to me!

And with your name "issue" is it like really bad? Do you also have it with other information?
I wanna know more about you :) How old are you? From where are you?

And if you say that you don't speak much and when you do it is slow and stilted with pausing and so on...
Are you really convinced that it is because you're an introvert? Is it something that you always have had? Are you okay with it or is it challenging? Just curious.

Let me know really like to have a chat here :)

Sweet kisses

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't let the stereotypes get you down! I, for one, am a terrible poet! Though I'm a musician, I'm not the best musician I could be because I don't like to practice. I like to write, but no one else likes what I write! Even my dearest true love has never read what I've written:LOL:

Definitely take @Sily 's advice and read from sources that get beyond stereotypes. Follow your own interests and gifts. As for ADD and dyslexia, those can't stop you from being INFP! Hopefully no one would ever say to someone, "Oh, you have 6 fingers instead of 5 and you have autism, so you don't get a personality type!" How terrible! You be you, and show those stereotypes that they can't hold you back.
Oh hey,
thanks a lot for your nice message.
I remember "You be you" and all the rest doesn't matter. It's actually as simple as that.
Haha, don't know why but it got me one sec emotional.
So I really do think you're a good writer! Otherwise, it wouldn't touch me.

Sweet kisses
xx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hi!

Sorry for my late response! I haven't checked the website in a while.
Never thought someone would react honestly haha. But I am so grateful that there is someone somewhere in the world that gives me pep talk :) So sweet of you! And thanks for the book recommendation I definitely will check it out.

Yeah, I am not sure if it is because I am an introvert. I had periods in my life where I felt very comfortable in an extraverted setting. For me, it really depends on the group of people. But for the last years,
I am definitely more comfortable alone. I am wondering if it would switch again some time.

Also, I don't know if you're into zodiac signs? Because I am an Aquarius (sun) and my ascendant is a Leo.
So it's kinda different from the INFP as well. But my draconic sign is cancer which is totally comparable with INFP.
It's so interesting to me!

And with your name "issue" is it like really bad? Do you also have it with other information?

And if you say that you don't speak much and when you do it is slow and stilted with pausing and so on...
Are you really convinced that it is because you're an introvert? Is it something that you always have had? Are you okay with it or is it challenging? Just curious.

Let me know really like to have a chat here :)

Sweet kisses
Oh and another thing to mention!
I am a graphic designer who focuses on placing text!
So I agree with the fact that we were born for the written word :)

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
Hi again @Belgiangirl!

:coffee:

I hope you will stick around and post often.

This place needs more action. :giggle:

...Yeah, I am not sure if it is because I am an introvert. I had periods in my life where I felt very comfortable in an extraverted setting. For me, it really depends on the group of people. But for the last years, I am definitely more comfortable alone. I am wondering if it would switch again some time.
There is a quote about INFPs, I thought it was from Keirsey/Bates' book "Please Understand Me" -- about retreating then advancing, retreating then advancing -- which is like, what you describe here. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find, the exact quote, right now. :cry:

...Also, I don't know if you're into zodiac signs? Because I am an Aquarius (sun) and my ascendant is a Leo.
So it's kinda different from the INFP as well. But my draconic sign is cancer which is totally comparable with INFP. It's so interesting to me!
My sun sign is Cancer, Moon sign is Scorpio and North node is in Libra. I had a very large report written and it was very interesting!

My name "issue" is awful. I also don't notice, what people are wearing, and since they might be spending many dollars on an outfit, well, it's wasted on me. :giggle:

I live in the United States on the east coast, married since 1994, age 60, female, tested INFP in the 70s. I have been a fan of Isabel Briggs Myers for decades.

I am okay with it. There are lots of studies out there comparing the speech patterns of introverts vs. extroverts. Here's the beginning of chapter 4, in Gifts Differing, "Effect Of The EI Preference":

.....and.....

I'll leave you with this from Keirsey's book, he is talking about NFs:

The Place is the Pathway

If Artisans like to be in the middle of the action, Guardians at the
gateways of exit and entrance, and Rationals at the crossroads mapping
coordinates, then Idealists are most comfortable on the pathways that lead
them on the search for the meaning of existence, that take them on the
journey to some higher stage of personal development. The notion of the
spiritual odyssey, the crusade, the pilgrimage, or the quest, is deeply satis-
fying to Idealists, and is perhaps their favorite metaphor for their experience
of life. In Man of La Mancha, Don Quixote sings of his glorious quest “to
follow that star” of ideal honor and virtue, “no matter how hopeless, no
matter how far.” And in Robert Pirsig’s Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Maintenance: an Inquiry into Values, a young philosopher imagines his
spirit of inquiry roaming through the “high country of the mind” in pursuit
of an elusive wisdom:

Many trails through these high ranges have been made and forgotten
since the beginning of time....Even within a single civilization old trails
are constantly closed and new ones open up....Phaedrus wandered through
this high country, aimlessly at first, following every path, every trail
where someone had been before, seeing occasionally with small hindsights
that he was apparently making some progress, but seeing nothing ahead
of him that told him which way to go.

The Time is Tomorrow

The Idealist is future-oriented and focused on what might be, rather
than what is. To the NF, whatever is is never quite sufficient — indeed, it is
unendurable to think that the here-and-now, the SP place and time, is all
there is in life. Listen as early women’s suffrage advocate Susan B. Anthony
imagines the future of American women, and really of all humanity:

The woman of the future will far surpass her of the present, even as the
man of the future will surpass him of today. The ages are progressive,
and I look for a far higher manhood and womanhood than we have
now.... I look for the day. ..when women all over this country will have
equal property rights, equal business rights, and equal political rights;
when the only criterion of excellence or position shall be the ability,
honor, and character of the individual.

The Idealists’ interest in the future also has a mystical aspect to it. The
NFs’ fantasies, as well as their favorite stories, are often excursions into
the world of oracular powers, prophetic sensibilia, omens, fortune-telling,
Tarot cards, and the like, all of which help the NFs to create in their
imaginations a magical world, a world of signs and portents, and a world
pregnant with possibilities. Idealists believe that life is rich with potentials
waiting to be realized, filled with meanings calling out to be understood.
The Idealist is drawn to exploring these potentials and uncovering those
meanings, to divining the true nature and significance of things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts