Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've recently had a change within the inner workings of my mind and how I work. It's probably for the best and is slightly More optimistic. Anyways, I find that because I havent had any optimism or positivity in this formatting since I was a kid this idea and new mindset is at an immature and ignorant level.

So, what I'm looking for is perhaps suggestions on how to speed up the growth and maturation of this change so that it's not the naive view im now perceiving it as, but an open loving view that I could begin to put into effect in my life without having the lack of experience within it or any uncertainties I may have to get in the way of what I feel is right.

Hope that made sense 0.0

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I believe that the phrase "speed up growth and maturation" is an oxymoron. Growth and maturation are processes that unfold over time, necessarily, because after the time has elapsed we have the necessary perspective to view them more objectively.

All you can do is exercise your new faculties as often as possible and let them develop naturally. Practice does make perfect.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Marimeli it's difficult though. I now see a new possibility in the future I never have before. I want to begin to do my best to begin to do what I can for this. I fear that if I wait it out and exercise this, then I will be losing chances to make a difference and will in essence fail. Like what I'd it were to never mature fully? or if it takes too long, what if I manage to be dragged back down to my former negative mindset that was eating away at me?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me I follow my heart before I get scared which forces me to react and grow.

I would like to simply focus on meditating more though.

Sort of a hard question you ask. I'm not sure how to make time go faster :)

Aaahh but I am unable to do what my heart tells me to do because of the said reason.

This may seem like a stupid question, but how do you meditate? I've thought of doing this for awhile but don't know how.

And as for time going faster. That is not what I am asking. What I am asking is something to help this idea/mindset mature at a faster rate not to speed up the time itself.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Being more loving and accepting != more mature world view. Unless you suffered from chronic pessimism. In that case you didn't really mature, you just got "healthy" again

Here is a list of actions that people say increase your maturity:

-travelling abroad.
-losing a close relative.
-losing a limb.
-losing your virginity.
-getting older
-meditation
-graduation
-having children

Can you see the pattern?

"Maturity" is a very subjective concept.You can't really really speed it up.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
@Marimeli it's difficult though. I now see a new possibility in the future I never have before. I want to begin to do my best to begin to do what I can for this. I fear that if I wait it out and exercise this, then I will be losing chances to make a difference and will in essence fail. Like what I'd it were to never mature fully? or if it takes too long, what if I manage to be dragged back down to my former negative mindset that was eating away at me?
You don't wait it out. Take the opportunity, do your best and grow within it. As long as you give it your all, it will likely be enough. And what better way TO develop it than by using it in a way that makes a difference? Just don't expect to be perfect and experienced right away.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Hapalo that is implying that a positive view is healthy, but how can you be sure of that?

Anyways, I wouldn't say 'I got healthy again' because I still possess all my old ideals just with a less bleaker future and with a newfound hope

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't wait it out. Take the opportunity, do your best and grow within it. As long as you give it your all, it will likely be enough. And what better way TO develop it than by using it in a way that makes a difference? Just don't expect to be perfect and experienced right away.

But I don't understand what I have to do to make a difference or to begin trying. I just don't want to be an idiot stuck with childish naivety as I try to do something I feel is important. I just really hope I figure out how to do this

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
But I don't understand what I have to do to make a difference or to begin trying. I just don't want to be an idiot stuck with childish naivety as I try to do something I feel is important. I just really hope I figure out how to do this
Hah, there are a couple ways to learn, but sometimes it's better to just jump right in. Try contacting somebody doing what you want and find out what you can do.

And forget about the idiotic stigma attached to trying to learn, everybody has to start somewhere. I would give more respect to somebody attempting a goal than the individual who just talks incessantly about the subject. I get a feeling that whatever endeavours you want to partake in will take patience and growth.

There's no way to speed up a maturing process, but there are ways to cultivate it how you want or just let it stagnate.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I think the handicap here is you've been very vague about what it is you might WANT to do here. Can you elaborate a little on your experience and what you think you might want to apply it to? To recap, I'm sort o understanding you to say that you've sort of discovered a more positive outlook on life but you're afraid you might now be too naive?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
E
I think the handicap here is you've been very vague about what it is you might WANT to do here. Can you elaborate a little on your experience and what you think you might want to apply it to? To recap, I'm sort o understanding you to say that you've sort of discovered a more positive outlook on life but you're afraid you might now be too naive?

Oh Right, forgot about that haha

Well let's see, where to begin. Well I'll explain my former view. Formerly I had this view that everyone sucked, they ruined everything and theres no point to do anything because I'd be just like them who I also happen to hate. I had other ideals and feelings but until a few days ago I wasn't able to express it in words. Anyways a few days ago I was reading this book about my favorite comedian bill hicks, and in quoting him it pointed out to me that throughout history, everyone who has appeared and offered us peace and evolution culturally and mentally have been killed. Jesus, ghandi, martin Luther king jr, JFK, John Lennon, etc. so this went perfectly well with my worldview. So I was focusing on this spiraling lower and lower and as I'm reading this I realize that bill had similar ideas but he was also passionate, loving, and spoke up for humanity and love as he tried to influence people to evolve their minds in free thinking, evolve their emotions to love one another and spiritually so that we can be happy as a whole. This surprised me and i began to think about how id like to feel that and that would be a nice future and if it could be possible. so this is where the idea began to take shape. Anyways, I finished the book and took a few days off everything to help this idea mold by thinking it through. The end result, I still think of everything the way I used to think of it, but now I have this thought that faintly there is a chance for us all and that we have to override everything and relearn to achieve this. What I want is to work for this, not because I believe I can single handedly do this, no that is a fools journey, but Like 1984's Winston, I believe that even helping the cause come about in a losing battle is noble and necessary because the end result is the greatest thing. It doesn't help that I'm surrounded by idiots though -.- anyways despite the negative view of the present I am confident I can help influence and mold the future to that of love, intelligence and peace. My fear is that because I haven't felt optimism of this magnitude since I was a kid, I will naively go in the wrong direction or be deterred because this idea is fairly new and I'm still growing comfortable with having this idea.
Anyways, I hope that answered your question. And I hope that didn't seem arrogant or ignorant in itself as I was doing my best to write out exactly how I see things

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
@sullenstare: no, it was helpful. And a lovely sentiment.

Look, when you have that as your foundation upon which all the rest of your future life will be built, there IS no wrong way. Stay true to that view and yourself, and no matter what you do with your life you will do it with compassion, generosity, kindness and with a forward-looking attitude.

The only thing you truly CAN do wrong is let the huge number of possibilities overwhelm you into inactivity. Find something you think you would be good at--teaching? Social work? Counseling? Art?-- and set clear and attainable goals to achieve that. If you already have a career, consir what you can do outside it volunteer-wise--serve at a soup kitchen, volunteer with Big Brothers/Big Sisters (and no, the irony of that with your 1984 reference does not escape me).

Two of my friends from college had this outlook. Now one of them is the head of a nonprofit whose aim is to beautify her city, and the other is a secret agent of kindness who has been recognized internationally for her network of secret agents spreading kindness to random people. Whatever you do, DO IT, and do it passionately.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
@sullenstare: one caveat I will say is that getting a career in music can be a very difficult task, if you're wanting to make a living at it. you can work for it but be realistic with your goals. the statistical likelihood of you getting a record contract and getting your music out to the whole world is very, very small; much more attainable goals are playing sets at local cafes or bars, or working in a church or other house of worship, or singing in a local professional choir--the singers are volunteer, but the audition standards are rigorous, and they do frequent concerts and are usually supported by arts grants. Music may end up being your passion and your hobby while you do a job that puts food on the table. Perhaps, if music is your passion, you could go to school to be a music teacher or music therapist.

Being a musician is frustrating, hungry work and you will be discouraged far more often than you are encouraged. There are always people waiting in the wings to tear you down and take your place. So you need to be really strong and tough-skinned, and always remember why you are doing it--to make the world a better place, no matter what the cost to yourself.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Marimeli I am aware of this. I don't really care too much about money, all I need is enough money to survive and I'm good. My instrument of choice is guitar but I am currently learning saxophone. Next year my school will offer a jazz class so that is exciting as well. Anyways I just want to inspire creativity, intelligence, individuality and just overall love for those that deserve it

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
@Marimeli I am aware of this. I don't really care too much about money, all I need is enough money to survive and I'm good. My instrument of choice is guitar but I am currently learning saxophone. Next year my school will offer a jazz class so that is exciting as well. Anyways I just want to inspire creativity, intelligence, individuality and just overall love for those that deserve it
I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know; I just felt I would be remiss if I didn't mention it :) you'll do great at whatever you do.

Reactions: sullenstare

·
Registered
113 Posts
Know yourself. And if you think you already do, question it, challenge it. Continue to learn and discover more about who you really are because everything starts with the self. The last thing you want is an erroneous perception because this can lead you to become a narrow-minded hypocrite even though you believe there are those who are worst than you. I'm saying this based on my own experience. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts