Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what career you guys are in right now. I am working a job to pay the bills, but I havn't found a decent career yet. What are you doing? Or, what are you doing in school to get there?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Electronics assembler. Basically I build huge freon detection panels and mixer modules for Halliburton, through a contracted company. Definitely not what I want to do, but hours are good and pay is decent, kinda just fell into it.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Finding a career has been pretty difficult for me. I never enjoyed or applied myself at high school and when I left, the real world appeared to be almost equally bleak. None of the careers available seemed to really suit me. I ended up doing a stint as a librarian, I liked it, but eventually my contract ran out and I became unemployed. There aren't many jobs available for librarians so after a few months of extremely depressing unemployment a friend of mine suggested I go to university. For the last six months I have been studying a bachelor of arts and my current goal is to transfer to a psychology degree, eventually I would like to work with youth who suffer from psychological problems. I'm 25 at the moment so I think other INFP's should not be surprised if they are late bloomers.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
i'm a brakeman in a scrap metal recycling yard.

not an especially infpish job, but i guess it pays the bills... well, some of them :dry:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am an audit manager - i always worked for top firms and earn a big salary. People look at me and say I have had a great career - BUT, I spent nearly all of my time hating the tasks of the job - the only thing ever to get me through are nice boss/colleagues and counselling junior staff. I hate detail and I don't care about numbers - but the big salary makes life bearable.

I want to really be a seminary professor or preacher or teacher of some kind...and trying to work out how to get there.. because doing something where you hate the tasks of the job for 15 years gets to you after a while!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finding a career has been pretty difficult for me. I never enjoyed or applied myself at high school and when I left, the real world appeared to be almost equally bleak. None of the careers available seemed to really suit me. I ended up doing a stint as a librarian, I liked it, but eventually my contract ran out and I became unemployed. There aren't many jobs available for librarians so after a few months of extremely depressing unemployment a friend of mine suggested I go to university. For the last six months I have been studying a bachelor of arts and my current goal is to transfer to a psychology degree, eventually I would like to work with youth who suffer from psychological problems. I'm 25 at the moment so I think other INFP's should not be surprised if they are late bloomers.
I should post about myself too. I'm 24, got my Associate of Arts and Science after 6 years of part time school work, and looking into a degree in English or Human Resources. I studied Environmental Science at one college and may go back to that one for English because I would already have a minor in Env. Studies if I do go back. Thats a huge plus for the resume. I want to study English, but I don't know what I'd do with the degree. I just know that writing papers is easy for me and English courses are always interesting. Just not sure how to figure out working full time, living 50 min. from school when I move out of my parents house, and going to school part time.

Right now I am a sales associate for a company that sells outdoors equipment. Only making $10/hour which really sucks because I want to move in with my girlfriend in a year and have to pay off some debt first. Which means going back to school isn't a real option for me right now.

I think I might be a late bloomer as well. I studied music and english in high school then studied Natural Science in college. Big mistake. I should have stuck to music and english because I would've had a scholarship for music *doh*. Now I've realized my mistakes and am really yearing to get back into english and music. Science just seemed more of a secure thing for a career later on in life and I think that is why I chose it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm an information systems engineer, I'm responsible for, along with a team of my peers, industry and commercial computer systems. I've always been really interested in computers and computer languages, but I get very burned out on the corporate atmosphere as the company has been growing. We used to be a very casual shop, but are starting to feel the 'business creep' as we are hiring more and more 'business types'.

I don't know how long I'll last at this job as the business continues down this path, work is starting to get monotonous. I'd like to go back to school for something very different, maybe nutrition, psychology, or even philo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm an information systems engineer, I'm responsible for, along with a team of my peers, industry and commercial computer systems. I've always been really interested in computers and computer languages, but I get very burned out on the corporate atmosphere as the company has been growing. We used to be a very casual shop, but are starting to feel the 'business creep' as we are hiring more and more 'business types'.

I don't know how long I'll last at this job as the business continues down this path, work is starting to get monotonous. I'd like to go back to school for something very different, maybe nutrition, psychology, or even philo.
INFP+structured corporate environment+ detailed oriented job = :crying:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I`m a freelance web designer at the moment, have been for about five years (my age is 25). I`m pretty sure it`s not what I want to keep doing for the rest of my life, but it`s something I enjoy doing at least. The money isn`t really good, because I have to constantly keep seeking out new clients by myself (social anxiety yay!), but therein lies the advantage as well - I do all of that online and I can work from home, on my terms, without all the office politics. I`ve worked as a web designer at two different companies earlier and I hated it, I didn`t fit in at all, the colleagues were all E types and kept pressuring me to get more and more 'involved with the team', while talking crap behind my back.

Ironically, it`s something I also miss and I`d love to be a part of again, but with like-minded people. I always wished to be an integral part of a team working together on amazing projects, whatever they may be as long as they benefit mankind as a whole. Granted, web design might not seem like the perfect medium for something that, but oh well, I have no other skills.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think I might be a late bloomer as well. I studied music and english in high school then studied Natural Science in college. Big mistake. I should have stuck to music and english because I would've had a scholarship for music *doh*. Now I've realized my mistakes and am really yearing to get back into english and music. Science just seemed more of a secure thing for a career later on in life and I think that is why I chose it.
I'm just like you...
regretted so much of not taking music at as early as 17 yrs old back then, because of the 'typical' following my parents and big family's wants & expectations. I studied Finance, and worked in family business for 7 years. and now I'm quitting and everybody's like shocked to my sudden 'rebellious' behavior,..because I simply just can't stand it anymore, ie: all the lies, fakeness, and feel like 'trapping' my life in what should've be a much much larger, bigger, more exciting & adventurous and meaningful life!
now I'm 28, and I know that I am totally like "left behind" when compared to my peers & friends around my age, which many have already 'settled-down' ie: all the "normal" things like getting married, have stable job/career, some even have 2 kids already! While me, I just feel like Keane's song on "Everybody's changing, and I don't feel the same"!

Music is also my biggest, utmost passion. and I myself am a musician, composer, songwriter, been working with several music projects now and teaching music private lessons, but due to the 'unfortunate' money-and-expectations thingy, I do feel like I need to be more quick in decision-making, and not postponing in what I really want to do any longer!
I should be ready for all the risks & consequences,
but like Nietzsche said too well: "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

·
Registered
28 Posts
i'm a hairdresser. well, in school to be one :p but i take clients, wash towels, and sell products as if it were already my actual job. and i absolutely love it. i recommend it to any career confused infp. it gives me the chance everyday to create art and do my best to make people happy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
like Nietzsche said too well: "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
Great quote!
I quit a non-profit job as a programmer to go back to school for graphic design/photography. I don't know why, but I guess I was semi-suprised that non-profits are still corporations in most ways.

I'm starting to get used to going against the grain and trying to do something that I love instead of working in an office all day.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm currently going to school become a teacher but I eventually want to be a guidance counselor. It honestly seems like a perfect fit for me so far as I'm finding that dealing with others problems is way easier and much more enjoyable than dealing with mine.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I`m a freelance web designer at the moment, have been for about five years (my age is 25). I`m pretty sure it`s not what I want to keep doing for the rest of my life, but it`s something I enjoy doing at least. The money isn`t really good, because I have to constantly keep seeking out new clients by myself (social anxiety yay!), but therein lies the advantage as well - I do all of that online and I can work from home, on my terms, without all the office politics. I`ve worked as a web designer at two different companies earlier and I hated it, I didn`t fit in at all, the colleagues were all E types and kept pressuring me to get more and more 'involved with the team', while talking crap behind my back.

Ironically, it`s something I also miss and I`d love to be a part of again, but with like-minded people. I always wished to be an integral part of a team working together on amazing projects, whatever they may be as long as they benefit mankind as a whole. Granted, web design might not seem like the perfect medium for something that, but oh well, I have no other skills.
Are you saying you can get jobs without having to go for interviews?! That would be ideal for me. I know very little computing but I tried to do some odd web design job here and there but they required in-person interviews.

Reactions: WiscoExplorer

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm actually pretty lucky. I was going down the Computer Science path, flipped out about one year before my graduation, moved towns, schools and went into Film Making. Gotta say, probably one of the best decisions of my life. I started working with a Major Distribution company at stock control and logistics, moved to marketing and then was hired by a multi-national movie theater chain as a Film Buyer. Pretty cool job, I watch movies, decide which of them is aired at which theaters and (the not so cool part) negotiate the cost with the distributor. Still, I get payed to watch movies. Still, not quite where I want to end my life. I still dream of writing something decent enough to get published and live off writing novels.

Watching movies will do nicely in the meanwhile, though. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts