Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there internetz, I am an INFP who is fairly familiar with Myers Brigg with an ISTP dad with and ISTJ girlfriend. But I’ve got a problem I need help with. My two parents despise my introvertedness and hate it when I spend whole days locked away in my room. I argue that I don’t waste time, that in my room I am learning many different things such as how to play music, read, write, research whatever comes across my mind, ect, ect. But my dad thinks that I should always go outside and do something mindless, go fishing, or meet new people and seems to despise it when I hang out with INTP friend, being antisocial, and a bit of a hermit. I understand that he is trying to do what is best for me, but I personally find leaving the house every single day to just ‘do’ things draining and exhausting. I’ve tried to explain myself to him, but he just doesn’t support me at all. To make matters worse his ISTJ gf has sort of turned home into my own personal hell, always trying to make me useful and terrorizing me to always meticulously clean and organize things. I can barely get any time away to myself without being nagged to death to go out and have ‘fun’ or to make myself useful.But it isn't like I never get out, I go to martial arts every weeknight except wednesday, and often see movies along with my INTP friend. Another matter that is making things worse is how his girlfriend keeps ravaging me about being unemployed (I am 17 currently on summer break) but I’ve had hardly any time to seriously consider any careers. Sorry for the long ramble*sigh*, but any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry for your predicament. I am not sure how comfortable you are with confrontation, but it seems like you are confident in who you are and what that entails, so my suggestion to you is to tell your father and his girlfriend that you would appreciate it if they would let you be yoursef and do things your own way and that you don't want to hear their comments and feedback about your life. You said that you already tried to explain yourself to your father but he still doesn't want to support who you are, so I guess that's that. There is only so much explaining you can do to people who simply don't want to understand you. Just let them know that you are not going to change who you are to please them. If they don't like it, too bad.

Also, I have an ISTJ boyfriend, so I know how difficult it can be with their constant nagging for you to make yourself useful by cleaning and doing things around the house. I think that you could help to keep the house clean and organized, but if she nags you to do things perfectly, let her know that you don't appreciate it.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Hey there internetz, I am an INFP who is fairly familiar with Myers Brigg with an ISTP dad with and ISTJ girlfriend. But I’ve got a problem I need help with. My two parents despise my introvertedness and hate it when I spend whole days locked away in my room. I argue that I don’t waste time, that in my room I am learning many different things such as how to play music, read, write, research whatever comes across my mind, ect, ect. But my dad thinks that I should always go outside and do something mindless, go fishing, or meet new people and seems to despise it when I hang out with INTP friend, being antisocial, and a bit of a hermit. I understand that he is trying to do what is best for me, but I personally find leaving the house every single day to just ‘do’ things draining and exhausting. I’ve tried to explain myself to him, but he just doesn’t support me at all. To make matters worse his ISTJ gf has sort of turned home into my own personal hell, always trying to make me useful and terrorizing me to always meticulously clean and organize things. I can barely get any time away to myself without being nagged to death to go out and have ‘fun’ or to make myself useful.But it isn't like I never get out, I go to martial arts every weeknight except wednesday, and often see movies along with my INTP friend. Another matter that is making things worse is how his girlfriend keeps ravaging me about being unemployed (I am 17 currently on summer break) but I’ve had hardly any time to seriously consider any careers. Sorry for the long ramble*sigh*, but any insight would be appreciated.
You are probably going to hate that I am going to say this, but my suggestion is to respect your father, listen to his wishes, and try to do the things he asks you to do. If you find that listening to him is seriously making you unhappy, then try to politely explain to him how you feel and ask him to compromise with you. Agree to go out sometimes, but ask him to let you do your own thing and spend time alone and with your friend too. I would speak to your father in private about how you feel upset that his girlfriend is angry with you because you don't have a job yet. Explain to him that you need some time (you're only seventeen) to decide what kind of work you want to do as well as looking for a job. If your father's girlfriend is too hard on you, speak with your father in private about how you feel, but try to be polite to her and don't discuss the issue with her directly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts