Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

First of all - I'm writing this thread because I'm trying to help my youngest sister. She's been through many hardships the last few years which has affected her view of herself. She became interested in MBTI to better understand her own way of thinking, which was why she took an online test.

Her first test gave her the result ESFP. I didn't really agree with it because she's always seemed very introverted, but at the time she was acting a lot like an ESFP. She was being bullied in school by a group of girls which were the life of the party, and I think my sister tried to adapt to their ESFP-style of living as a way to make them think better of her. She was out partying a lot, saying she didn't care about school, and she became quite bitchy and shallow. At least outwardly.

Now she's at a point in life where she's decided that these people aren't worthy of her time, and that she actually does have one true friend, and that what she really likes to do is hang around in nature, be with this one friend, help animals, or watch some series while drinking tea. She recently took the test again, and this time she got INFP.

The current "version" of her is a lot more like how she was when she grew up, and she feels a lot more stable and "there", so I really think it's authentic.

What's confusing is that INFP and ESFP seem like pretty different results. One thing I know for certain is that she's always been very Fi-heavy, but Fi is in the top 2 in both of those types. I think she uses Te rather than Ti, but I have a hard time determining whether she's Ne-Si or Se-Ni. What do you reckon would be the greatest differences between these types? I've also been thinking she could be an ISFP - but I reckon I'd have to do the same kind of research to find out the difference between an ISFP and an INFP as I would if I was deciding between INFP/ESFP (as there's also this question about Ne-Si/Se-Ni)

And, is it at all likely that an INFP would act as an ESFP for 6 months? It sounds absolutely exhausting to me (then again, that might explain why she's being so ill at the moment).

I know online tests aren't exactly great for determining type, but I don't think I should be the one to type her either. What are your recommendations for helping her type herself?

·
Registered
189 Posts
The exact same thing happend with a friend of mine. Also with the same two types. Maybe your sister didn't answer one of the tests honestly or she perceived her behavoir differently because she wanted to be someone else.
When I look at my friend I see an extrovert. She got the result for INFP in a time when she was pretty depressed. I Think that the current mood can also influence the results.
I'm an INFP and I had a time when I tought it would be desireable to be more of an extrovert and I forced myself into talking to people and into liking the same stuff. As an INFP you feel like you don't fit in and you feel like an alien a lot of the times. Your sister is probably pretty young so it's only natural that she tries to addapt to "survive" in this world. But I think it's good that she wants to be herself now, because it's really contraproductive to put a mask on and if shes an INFP then she is not the type who takes this very well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts