Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here, and I figured I might as well just dive on in. I'm 31, and I've always tested as an INFJ, but, just recently, I began testing as an INFP. The description at Personality Junkie really fits me, but at other personality places, not so much. I don't know if I'm mainly INFP or mainly INFJ or a good mix of both.

Also, lately, I've been getting high marks in S and even T. On one test, I actually scored as ISTJ! I have a hard time understanding the questions sometimes or knowing what my usual behavior and patterns are. I found the description based test at the above mentioned site much easier than the standard two answers per question tests or Very Likely to Not At All Likely tests.

I wonder if the fact that I'm getting older and maybe starting to develop my tertiary and inferior functions has anything to do with my latest test scores. I'm confused and very much want to settle what my dominant type is, as it's very important to me. So here I go.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
see above

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
to reconnect with God; to settle on a long-term, satisfying career; to get down to my ideal weight; to travel
because I want to be the best person I can be, fulfill God's purpose for me on this earth, and to do what I was born to do; I want to have "arrived"

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
hard question for me; I feel good after I write a poem or story or such, like I've accomplished something important that day; I felt good when I weighed close to my ideal weight and wasn't so ashamed of my body and actually felt pretty; I felt good when I was close to God back during my teen years.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
thinking that I'm not a good writer, thinking that I have nothing to offer this world, thinking that there is something wrong with me because I'm too emotional or dumb or that I'm not good at anything, feeling like I'm incapable of loving people and of being loved

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
Normally, I like to decide things myself, and I use thinking and feeling. I'll let thinking override my feelings sometimes, if I know it's the right thing or the best thing to do, but it's very hard for me to say "yes" to something when I don't want to do it. Occasionally, I will talk to someone for advice if it's something beyond my scope of knowledge or if I'm having an especially hard time deciding something. But I have to think about what they said afterwards to myself before I make my final decision.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Yes. If I'm working on a creative or organizational project, I want to do it alone. Sometimes, I've had someone step in when I'm doing a project around the house and found myself relieved at how much quicker the work gets done and realize it's not so bad after all. But when someone first suggests to help, I am very stubborn and resistant to it.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
another hard question; I have fun watching good movies and shows, listening to music, reading, and learning; I had fun back when I was a part of church groups as a teen and young adult. My memories of these things are average, I guess? If it's a great piece of art (music, movies, etc.), it makes a big impact on me.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I like to learn by myself by reading/researching. I'm not hands on, and I don't like someone teaching it to me.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Depends. I can be very organized when I want to be. But I can also be very messy, disorganized, and lazy. I enjoy organizing, and it doesn't intimidate me at all. But I just lack the motivation to be consistent with it.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Humph. Confusing. Not sure. If I understand it at first or think I understand it, I'll probably make a snap emotional judgement and then come back later, after thinking it over, with my real judgment which will be more thought based and calm and rational rather than feeling based. But I get very, very confused about what I think about certain subjects. I initially speak my gut, then people put up a good argument against it, and I sway on my opinion, sometimes even giving in completely to what they say. Sometimes I hate myself for giving in because I realize I still feel the same way in my gut. Sometimes I hate myself for my gut answer because I come to realize that it's not actually what I believe. Much confusion, much backpedaling and circling around. I'm so sure I know, but I'm never sure if I really do know. Then a while later, maybe I finally do know, and maybe it's how I felt all along, going back to my gut feeling. It usually is. Much confusion.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Oy. I think both, if possible. The latter, if not possible.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Generally, I speak before I think. However, when I'm on forums, I seem to write before I think all the time. I'm awkward verbally but feel confident and comfortable writing, and I'll get carried away and want to jump into every discussion. I tend to get self righteous and feel that my view is the right view and that it is so important that I must make it be heard, like it's my responsibility. If it's something I feel very strongly about, I'll rise up to a debate, though not very skillfully. But if it's something I'm wishy washy on and get called out on, I'll shrink back and panic and wish I hadn't said anything at all and try to end the discussion.

I definitely prefer one-on-one communication, though it's fun to listen to a group discussion. I just usually don't have the courage to join in but desperately wish I did.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I hold back; I want to know. I prefer words to actions.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
9 times out of 10, turn them down.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
take it out on people around me, isolate myself, compulsively overeat

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
people who are too practical, people who are brash and rude, people who are always joking and never serious, people who I can't have a meaningful conversation with, people who put me on the spot

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
music, movies, TV, books, spirituality, history, politics, animals, current events, gossip, intellectual topics, psychology, sociology

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
finances, appearance, home maintenance

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
You mean if I had friends? I think they view me as a better person than I really am. I think they don't realize how selfish and prideful I am and how hateful I can be. They would never say, "She's really outgoing and talks a lot. She's mean. She's very superficial. She's a people person. She's a fashionista."

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Some time at home surfing the Internet and watching movies/TV. Some time at Barnes & Noble reading whatever I want, probably nonfiction. Cruise in my car. Maybe have lunch or dinner somewhere or get takeout. Maybe talk a walk. Enjoy being alone, doing whatever I want to do.

Thank you.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'll probably catch some flak for this one, but my first guess is INTJ. A lot of your flaws you identified sound like inferior Se and I don't get a sense that making value judgements is your normal mode of cognition. At least, you didn't give many examples that would indicate a top 2 Feeling function from where I'm standing.

·
Registered
309 Posts
From what I'm seeing in your post, I actually think INFP is a safe bet, if not ISFP. You appear to have a strong Fi preference, whereas an INFJ would be an Intuitive dominant. Your answer to question 10 may be a result of Ne combined with inferior Te in that you have difficulty determining the logical coherency of some of your thoughts (Happens to me all the time...). I do however see how some of your responses may indicate Ni/inferior Se. The Fi certainly seems there so I would pick INTJ over INFJ.

Perhaps these might help:
http://personalitycafe.com/infj-forum-protectors/76894-recognizing-inferior-function-infj.html
http://personalitycafe.com/infp-articles/76770-recognizing-inferior-function-ifps.html

As for the description at Personality Junkie, I actually really like and relate to that description. In comparison to many of the descriptions that might mention cognitive functions in passing but are really based around behavioral stereotypes, I think it does a decent job of conveying the actual thought processes of an INFP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the links! They helped me a lot.

After reading some posts on here about the functions, I can say that I am absolutely an INFP. And one who has been in the grip for a long time now. :(

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
hard question for me; I feel good after I write a poem or story or such, like I've accomplished something important that day; I felt good when I weighed close to my ideal weight and wasn't so ashamed of my body and actually felt pretty; I felt good when I was close to God back during my teen years.
and
18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
finances, appearance, home maintenance
Isn't that a bit contradictory? I can't understand you.

FWIW, I think you use Fi+Te way more than Fe+Ti, and you're most likely introverted. IxFP seems more likely than IxTJ, but it could be an effect of stress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.