Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear All,

I'm in the topic of MBTI for few weeks now and still not sure about my type. Finally, I got stuck between INFJ and INFP.

I try to get directly into the root cases.

INFJ pros:

- Ni - Spaced-out could be my second name:eek:) This is with me from beginning of my life. As I always enjoyed the company of my best friends, I had no problem to entertain myself for long hours (evenas a baby - mom told me). I had a problem during my school years, that I haven't been able to pay attention, though ADHD tests was negative. The intuitiveness kicked-in especially around my 10 yr, when I started to dream about better world and my place in it. Tbh, I still have that dream in my mids 20s', but slightly modified:eek:) As I'd never be ungrateful for my life, it's very complicated for me to settle my Path with real world and I'm still struggling to find the best career. Around my 11s' I started to employ my interest in spirituality/philosophy. Half of the books I read so far was about that topic and similar part of my brain energy was spent on never-ending question how to be useful for society but do not disguise to my Path.

- Strong Fe - I've always been diplomatic. I'm more conform than sometimes I'd like to be - have to put an effort to speak up against opposite opinion, when it can hurt my counterpart or disharmonise the group (awareness, that it is often better for her/him/them/us in long-run helps me a lot). I really appreciate harmony. I have tensions to talk with people who are loners in the group. When the group or person with whom I have to be is unfamiliar/overly critical/indifferent, I feel really unwell/insecure and quickly drained out.
What makes me little bit uncertain here is that I'm not usually so emotionally expressive till I feel safe. I'm not SO touchy. And when I predict that with certain person/group, I wouldn't be able to find any common topic or I'm just solving some problem in my head (which happened pretty often) - I'm avoidant.

- Ti - I'm not as good logic user as a lot of people I met, but if I got time, I'm really pleased to solve some technical/mathematical problems or puzzles. I like all kind of games, especially with RPG flavor. Sometimes, I overestimate my logic which ends either bad or funny.

- Se - Inferior Se could be really painful:eek:) Extremes like jumping from sweet addiction to pure ketogenic diet is just one of the cases. I have been struggling with different kind of anxieties. Endured a period of drug-using which ended in bad experience. Yes, then there is the masturbation...:eek:) Etc.
I'd say I'm somehow skillful when it comes to manual work and I enjoy good party time to time.

INFJ cons:

- J/P problem - As I really appreciate to have order in myself and things, I found that I'm not able to maintain it. I'm inclined to make a ToDos and plans, but have a problem to stick with that. I feel really bad when I'm not able to keep track on my duties, but it's just happening. It was huge problem on high school, as I had problems with attention during classes and never been able to prepare well for exams. It was hard to keep myself on average grades. (Though, I was able to finish mediocre college with pretty good grades from final exams:eek:) )
I feel better when organized but able to do spontaneous things either. Hard guess...
I read that INFJs have actually 2nd best grades from all of the types. Not applicable in my case.
I'm often lost either in an inspiration or some of the inf Se problems:eek:) These usually caused me to procrastinate.
But I read elsewhere, that INFJs' are least judgers from J group. This sounds familiar to me, as I think I'm responsible and not so "sloth-ish" as I heard the IxxP group tend to be.

- INFJs tend to have bad memory - not SO big case for me. I'd say I have pretty good episodic memory. Though the semantic memory is far worse - especially long-term. Have pretty good memory about people - actions, opinions etc.

INFP pros:

- the daydreaming (often misdiagnosed as non-hyperactive ADHD) is present here as well.

- my proposed Fe can be caused in fact by strong Fi?

- not sure if I'm not misplacing Ni for Ne. But I'd say that the intuition is root case for me more than the others.
I'd say I'm more introverted, so it has to be Ni. And I'd say I'm not the "super-effective sharp minded" INTJ guy. So INFJ.

- My inclination to be systematic and orderly could be derived from weak Te. Also the efforts to put myself under some kind of order or even cleansing periods could be caused by inf Te.

- I'm somehow respectful to the traditions, though I'm open-minded. (Or maybe better said, I found a lot of traditions in conguence with my own obesrvations/opinions about the world). And I'm actually not so happy about every challange I got... (pointing to weak Si?)

- I've always wanted to be somehow elite. Might be INFPs' deserve for individuality/originality?

INFP cons:

- INFPs tend to be very good at languages - not my case. I always been slightly better in math/physics. My turn really started when it comes to more human/social sciences (except history and law etc, where you have to memorize a lot of stuff).

- never interested in writing novels. Though, I'm really in music from my childhood.

- I'm not SO idealistic in Luna Lovegood style. My ideas/visions tend to be somehow grounded.

Thank you everyone who is willing to spent your time on this. I'm opened to discuss or answer further questions.
And please pardon me for my English, I'm not native.

·
Registered
664 Posts
- Ni - Spaced-out could be my second name:eek:) This is with me from beginning of my life. As I always enjoyed the company of my best friends, I had no problem to entertain myself for long hours (evenas a baby - mom told me). I had a problem during my school years, that I haven't been able to pay attention, though ADHD tests was negative. The intuitiveness kicked-in especially around my 10 yr, when I started to dream about better world and my place in it. Tbh, I still have that dream in my mids 20s', but slightly modified:eek:) As I'd never be ungrateful for my life, it's very complicated for me to settle my Path with real world and I'm still struggling to find the best career. Around my 11s' I started to employ my interest in spirituality/philosophy. Half of the books I read so far was about that topic and similar part of my brain energy was spent on never-ending question how to be useful for society but do not disguise to my Path.

- Strong Fe - I've always been diplomatic. I'm more conform than sometimes I'd like to be - have to put an effort to speak up against opposite opinion, when it can hurt my counterpart or disharmonise the group (awareness, that it is often better for her/him/them/us in long-run helps me a lot). I really appreciate harmony. I have tensions to talk with people who are loners in the group. When the group or person with whom I have to be is unfamiliar/overly critical/indifferent, I feel really unwell/insecure and quickly drained out.
What makes me little bit uncertain here is that I'm not usually so emotionally expressive till I feel safe. I'm not SO touchy. And when I predict that with certain person/group, I wouldn't be able to find any common topic or I'm just solving some problem in my head (which happened pretty often) - I'm avoidant.

- J/P problem - As I really appreciate to have order in myself and things, I found that I'm not able to maintain it. I'm inclined to make a ToDos and plans, but have a problem to stick with that. I feel really bad when I'm not able to keep track on my duties, but it's just happening. It was huge problem on high school, as I had problems with attention during classes and never been able to prepare well for exams. It was hard to keep myself on average grades. (Though, I was able to finish mediocre college with pretty good grades from final exams:eek:) )
I feel better when organized but able to do spontaneous things either. Hard guess...
I read that INFJs have actually 2nd best grades from all of the types. Not applicable in my case.
I'm often lost either in an inspiration or some of the inf Se problems :eek:) These usually caused me to procrastinate.
But I read elsewhere, that INFJs' are least judgers from J group. This sounds familiar to me, as I think I'm responsible and not so "sloth-ish" as I heard the IxxP group tend to be.
This makes me think you're an xNFP. Your Ni description felt very Ne and your Fe description felt more Fi to me with your struggle between harmony and authenticity you noted. Your reasoning for judging reminds me a lot of my issues with lower-order Si and Te. For instance, I see Si and Te-related behaviors like organization, planning, and routine as ideal, but I repeatedly have trouble implementing and maintaining them. It would be useful to see more about your feeling use though, because this post seems more N-dom but INFPs are of course Fi-dom. Also, why have you ruled out ENFP?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Yes, that seems reasonable.
About the feelings, I'm not sure where to start. Could you maybe give me some question?
I ruled out ENFP as I believe I'm slightly more introverted. Furthermore, ExxP type tend to overflow with energy. If anything, I'm prone to lack energy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I completely agree with others here that your Ni description sounds more like 'typical' Ne, especially in regard to hyperactive thought and the difficulty choosing a path in life - INFP's and others that use Ne are often referred to as 'seekers'. Regarding the J/P divide remember that Fi (INFP's dominant function) is actually a judging function so we often feel like judgers inside, but J/P actually just refers to our external presentation. I was stuck in this conundrum myself for ages, until I discovered my mum was an INFJ and observed the difference between my Fi and her Fe, so cognitive functions are definitely the best way to distinguish. Although I am deeply empathetic as well I am slightly more focused on and insightful in terms of my own emotions than she is, I can answer the question 'how do you feel?' in much more depth and I less actively engage in 'care-taking' in regard to other people, although I try very hard to be friendly and polite. I focus more on whether my social behaviour is morally correct (right/wrong) and whether it accurately represents and conforms to my ethical ideals as opposed to worrying as much as her about how it affects others (although the end result is the same). Hope this helps!

·
Read Only
626 Posts
Dear All,

I'm in the topic of MBTI for few weeks now and still not sure about my type. Finally, I got stuck between INFJ and INFP.

I try to get directly into the root cases.

INFJ pros:

- Ni - Spaced-out could be my second name:eek:) Spacey-ness, I'd say is more typical of Ni types than Ne types. Ne is an extroverted function. It's engaged. Although, there are plenty of spacey SFJs out in the world.This is with me from beginning of my life. As I always enjoyed the company of my best friends, I had no problem to entertain myself for long hours (evenas a baby - mom told me). I had a problem during my school years, that I haven't been able to pay attention, though ADHD tests was negative. The intuitiveness kicked-in especially around my 10 yr, when I started to dream about better world and my place in it.That doesn't necessarily make you an N. Maybe based on Myers-Briggs descriptions, but not based on cognitive functions. Tbh, I still have that dream in my mids 20s', but slightly modified:eek:) As I'd never be ungrateful for my life, it's very complicated for me to settle my Path with real world and I'm still struggling to find the best career. Use of the phrase "my path" makes me think Ni.Around my 11s' I started to employ my interest in spirituality/philosophy. Half of the books I read so far was about that topic and similar part of my brain energy was spent on never-ending question how to be useful for society but do not disguise to my Path.Useful to society? Fe.

- Strong Fe - I've always been diplomatic. I'm more conform than sometimes I'd like to be - have to put an effort to speak up against opposite opinion, when it can hurt my counterpart or disharmonise the group (awareness, that it is often better for her/him/them/us in long-run helps me a lot). I really appreciate harmony. I have tensions to talk with people who are loners in the group. When the group or person with whom I have to be is unfamiliar/overly critical/indifferent, I feel really unwell/insecure and quickly drained out.You seem very Fe.
What makes me little bit uncertain here is that I'm not usually so emotionally expressive till I feel safe. I'm not SO touchy. And when I predict that with certain person/group, I wouldn't be able to find any common topic or I'm just solving some problem in my head (which happened pretty often) - I'm avoidant. Do you make an effort not to be too emotionally expressive or does it just happen? Also, solving problems in your head indicates Ti.

- Ti - I'm not as good logic user as a lot of people I met, but if I got time, I'm really pleased to solve some technical/mathematical problems or puzzles. I like all kind of games, especially with RPG flavor. Sometimes, I overestimate my logic which ends either bad or funny.You're not very conscious of your own mental processes, it seems.

- Se - Inferior Se could be really painful:eek:) Extremes like jumping from sweet addiction to pure ketogenic diet is just one of the cases. I have been struggling with different kind of anxieties. Endured a period of drug-using which ended in bad experience. Yes, then there is the masturbation...:eek:) Etc. None of these seem exclusive to inferior Se users. Maybe more likely in them, but definitely not exclusive. Especially masturbation.
I'd say I'm somehow skillful when it comes to manual work and I enjoy good party time to time.

INFJ cons:

I'm often lost either in an inspiration or some of the inf Se problems:eek:) These usually caused me to procrastinate.
But I read elsewhere, that INFJs' are least judgers from J group. This sounds familiar to me, as I think I'm responsible and not so "sloth-ish" as I heard the IxxP group tend to be.I would say that in terms of information and facts and hard logic, INFPs are far more inclined to be organized than INFJs, because they have inferior Te. How organized are you internally? Also, Pe types tend towards procrastination more, but this is also common in type 9 enneagrams.

- INFJs tend to have bad memory - not SO big case for me. I'd say I have pretty good episodic memory. Though the semantic memory is far worse - especially long-term. Have pretty good memory about people - actions, opinions etc.This is a dumb stereotype. INFP is far more likely to... warp the memory, thanks to Si. How do you talk about your memories? "There was a blue thing there and this and this and that happened," or, "I said this and then I did that and then I felt like this"?

INFP pros:

- the daydreaming (often misdiagnosed as non-hyperactive ADHD) is present here as well. Everyone daydreams, not only INFPs.

- my proposed Fe can be caused in fact by strong Fi?None of it sounded Fi in the least.

- not sure if I'm not misplacing Ni for Ne. But I'd say that the intuition is root case for me more than the others.
I'd say I'm more introverted, so it has to be Ni. And I'd say I'm not the "super-effective sharp minded" INTJ guy. So INFJ.I can't tell whether you're Ni or Ne. You don't go off on tangents like Ne types do, but you didn't talk in absolutes in the realm of philosophy. Your "path" was an absolute, and a highly subjective philosophy, which indicates Ni, but there wasn't enough information. You're not forthcoming in the realm of concepts and philosophy... which supports the argument for Ni. Ni dominant, however? Not sure I'm seeing it.

- My inclination to be systematic and orderly could be derived from weak Te. Also the efforts to put myself under some kind of order or even cleansing periods could be caused by inf Te.True. I still think you're Fe, though. Oh, and "cleansing periods"? Cleansing it what sense. If you mean physically, it could indicate inferior Se.

- I'm somehow respectful to the traditions, though I'm open-minded. (Or maybe better said, I found a lot of traditions in conguence with my own obesrvations/opinions about the world). And I'm actually not so happy about every challange I got... (pointing to weak Si?)Traditions have nothing to do with Si. At least, they don't the way Jung described Si. Traditions in congruence with your own observations? Explain. It's hinting at Pi, because with regards to perception, you're seeking some sort of subjective order to the universe.

- I've always wanted to be somehow elite. Might be INFPs' deserve for individuality/originality? Not unique to INFPs or Fi types. Plenty of INFJs are like this. Plenty of SFJs as well.

INFP cons:

- INFPs tend to be very good at languages - not my case. I always been slightly better in math/physics. My turn really started when it comes to more human/social sciences (except history and law etc, where you have to memorize a lot of stuff).I'm an NFP, and I've always been good at maths. And some sciences, but usually the more people-orientated kinds, such as biology and psychology. This might be related to function, but you haven't explained why you're better at physics and maths than at languages. It could come from Ne, or Te, or Se, or Si, or Ni, or Ti depending on how you handle mathematical problems.

- never interested in writing novels. Though, I'm really in music from my childhood.Has nothing to do with type.

- I'm not SO idealistic in Luna Lovegood style. My ideas/visions tend to be somehow grounded.Luna Lovegood was an INTP. Grounded... how?

Thank you everyone who is willing to spent your time on this. I'm opened to discuss or answer further questions.
And please pardon me for my English, I'm not native.
I'd say that INFJ is far more likely, but I suggest you venture out and consider other types. You're definitely Fe, and you hint at Ni, but I don't think SFJ can be ruled out.

·
Read Only
626 Posts
Thank you. Yes, that seems reasonable.
About the feelings, I'm not sure where to start. Could you maybe give me some question?
I ruled out ENFP as I believe I'm slightly more introverted. Furthermore, ExxP type tend to overflow with energy. If anything, I'm prone to lack energy.
You sound very much like an enneagram type 9.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience.

especially in regard to hyperactive thought
I wouldn't say "hyperactive thought". It's more like that I was either solving some problem or just wandering in my mind. I've never been hyperactive. Neither in thoughts.

INFP's and others that use Ne are often referred to as 'seekers'.
I'm not seeking something new, actually. It's more about seeking confirmation for what I already keep inside of me. It's more about comparing than adding new. But maybe that's the usual "seeking":)

About the feelings, it's hard to distinguish for me. I've takled about this with my friend and I came to conclusion, that I'd can probably relate more to what you wrote about your mum. I'm actually not so involved in inner moral codes. On the other side, it's true that I have strong conscience which just do not allow me to behave like badass.
When I'm in the social situations, I just see what needs to be done. And it depends on my mood - I can either do it and (usually) feel good afterwards, or I can let it be and have (usually) mixed feelings about that (usually trying to rationalize my indiferrence). It's tough question...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you taken the celebritytypes INFP vs INFJ test? Its based in cognitive functions and is pretty good:

From your description I would think you're an INFP, but that's just a guess.
Yes, I've taken it before I started this thread. It gave me (+-) 82% for INFJ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for analysis & questions!
Do you make an effort not to be too emotionally expressive or does it just happen?
I thought about it and I came to conclusion, that the reason - why I'm not so expressive - is that I'm simply calm most of the time. Actually, when something really pisses me off or makes me happy I'm not so much able to cover it. The case is, that these situations do not happen very often.

None of these seem exclusive to inferior Se users. Maybe more likely in them, but definitely not exclusive. Especially masturbation.
OK

How organized are you internally?
I'm not sure if I understand this question. How the internal organization should look like?

How do you talk about your memories?
The first is slightly more accurate. I remember better the external situations/events than what I felt/thought/said. I have also good memory about people, especially when they did something which resonate with me (either in good or bad way).

Oh, and "cleansing periods"? Cleansing it what sense. If you mean physically, it could indicate inferior Se.
I mean periods of intensive exercising, healthy eating, meditations, avoiding alcohol etc.

Traditions in congruence with your own observations?
For example faith. I was nearly anti-christian when I was around 10-12 yo. I studied Buddhism, different kinds of esotericism etc. I have been practicing meditation occasionally and I've been thinking about these things a lot. Finally, around my 20's I discovered that lot of spiritual truths which I came across can be found in Christian tradition too. Moreover, even better explained and accomplished. Though still very open-minded, I became Christian and I'm now convinced that - on purely spiritual level - my searching is done.

you haven't explained why you're better at physics and maths than at languages
To be honest, I could remember better the principles within math/physics from the lessons in school. I didn't have to learn much to be able to keep avg. grades. If I made mistakes, it was usually due to inattention, more than anything else. This was not applicable in languages. You have to learn for hours and the grammar wasn't always so logical for me on the first sight.
And the argument that "once, after years, you might probably find an usage for all this" hasn't worked for me. So I rather stuck with things I enjoyed back then.

how you handle mathematical problems.
I don't remember if it was always, but I'm very visual. I usually try to visualize the process and solution in sense of geometry. Or I try to build a simple model situation. Then transfer the principles into more complicated problems.

Luna Lovegood was an INTP. Grounded... how?
Oh, really? I read somewhere, that she is INFP...
Grounded... It's hard to explain, but as I'm "dreamer" on the one side, on the other side, I'm quite skeptical:) As I'm interested in spirituality, I met several people who literally live in fairy tale. I mean I also believe in God and transcendental world, but I don't see it as fantastical and magical as many others do. Though, I really do have moments when I deeply admire the stunning majesty of the Creation.

·
Read Only
626 Posts
Thanks for analysis & questions!
You're welcome.

I thought about it and I came to conclusion, that the reason - why I'm not so expressive - is that I'm simply calm most of the time. Actually, when something really pisses me off or makes me happy I'm not so much able to cover it. The case is, that these situations do not happen very often.
Sounds more Fe. Type 9s tend to be very calm, generally. We've got low energy reserves. Slow and steady.

I'm not sure if I understand this question. How the internal organization should look like?
Internally ordered. Organized logic. There's an order to your thoughts, like a sort of structure within your mind.

The first is slightly more accurate. I remember better the external situations/events than what I felt/thought/said. I have also good memory about people, especially when they did something which resonate with me (either in good or bad way).
Point to Se over Si.

I mean periods of intensive exercising, healthy eating, meditations, avoiding alcohol etc.
Inferior Se over inferior Te. Inferior Te would say, "Organization. Getting shit done. Trying to get my life in order."

To be honest, I could remember better the principles within math/physics from the lessons in school. I didn't have to learn much to be able to keep avg. grades. If I made mistakes, it was usually due to inattention, more than anything else. This was not applicable in languages. You have to learn for hours and the grammar wasn't always so logical for me on the first sight.
And the argument that "once, after years, you might probably find an usage for all this" hasn't worked for me. So I rather stuck with things I enjoyed back then.
I can't relate to this. Sort of. I think I was good at maths because I understood the system that everything ran on. However, I'm still unsure as to what function that might be related to. Te? You talk more about "principles," but is that enough to say that you're good at these subjects because you're NiTi? I don't think so. It might be more of a person thing.

I don't remember if it was always, but I'm very visual. I usually try to visualize the process and solution in sense of geometry. Or I try to build a simple model situation. Then transfer the principles into more complicated problems.
Now, this sounds Ti.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts