Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I keep scoring INFP on tests, but simply put I guess that I don't really understand myself good enough to determine if I fit P or J better. There are things in both INFP and INFJ that doesn't seem to suit me all that well. It's just a big chaos in my head when trying to wrap my mind around it, so I hope that typing here could provide some structured input.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Wisdom, and finding the purpose to my life. I don't know if I believe in reincarnation at all, but I do have this feeling that only could be transcribed as I having an old soul that is looking for something, but the problem is that I have forgotten what I'm supposed to know, find, learn or do. This causes me just as much grief as it can fill me with energy. Everything, and I really do mean everything comes second to this, even my own health if that is what it would take to get me there.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I have a hard time deciding for myself what I consider to be "me being at finest". So I'll list two that are different, but two emotions that I hold in high regard.

The first one is when in Jämtland, Sweden and going to the fell region it was almost a sensation of me not being an intellectual creature anymore, but rather an animal with a soul. Breathing the air and gazing out over yonder at the lake with the high mountains in the back made me feel like I could breathe in to my soul. It felt like coming home, without ever been there before in my life. But it doesn't really matter how it's labeled to me, the important is what I experienced. Say what you will, but I've never felt so alive and in sync with both my innermost self and nature at the same time.

The second one is feeling inspired, or expanding consciousness. Looking at myself, everyone else and everything else from the "perspective of God" fills me with a sensation that tickles my mind and gives me energy that makes me feel that I can accomplish anything, if I feel like it, of course. :)

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Sloth, in the sense of not being able to fulfill my true potential. Taking a boring job just to "get on with my life" doesn't work for me, because it doesn't feel right even the slightest. Watching old classmates on facebook being able to fulfill and realizing what they conceive to be their potential is what really makes me feel inferior.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

Quality, as perceived by me. Other people won't even use a product that I'm going to buy, so I know that if I don't set out to find out which one that I find to have the best quality and the most subjective value to me within that specific price range I very easily get caught up in regret over my decision about not waiting so that I could have gotten better, and felt better about it. And I guess this applies to almost everything, trying to produce a decision that provides the best quality for most situations or people.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Preferably on a solid and well-defined 'background', once the most essential structure is achieved I'll happily let INTJ-types take care of the rest, knowing that their genuine interest for details and having things neatly finished and categorized will yield much better results than me doing it who barley ever feels compelled to complete projects (have like 100 unfinished ideas for songs in my computer...)

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

Having meaningful conversations with insightful individuals is the most fun I have. Humor for example is something that I can find very fun and enjoyable, but the fun feeling from an intelligent conversation stays about 100 to 1000 times longer inside my body. I'm elitist, it's just that the few times I feel intellectually challenged I tend to hold on to those moments.

And intellectual in this context is the deeper, underlying meaning and structure of things and new perspectives to absorb and ponder. Example: "Does God exist?" - "Well that depends on the definition, doesn't it?" - "Huh, you're right, haven't thought about that. How would you define God, then?" and so fourth.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Understanding underlying principles is the key, from that I can assume and guess the most details. Memorizing as many numbers of Pi, for example, is something that I have big problems with, because it's just numbers, facts that doesn't mean anything to me without a context.

I guess that I can learn somewhat hands on, but my main sword is the concept, and it's the concept that I emphasize on being able to fully master.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

I feel like a complete mess, to be honest. I'm trying to come up with things that I genuinely find fun to organize, and the times that I rearrange stuff, like in the cabinets, I do it only to have one less chaotic thing in my life. I like living in a somewhat structured environment, but I rarely feel compelled to organize and structure something or myself. I only do it to avoid complete chaos.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I'm trying to grasp the ideas behind them, and then look for information both for and against it. Even if the idea to 99% is junk, I somehow still have a sense of finding the good thing about it, that then I keep and can use for another time if I want to.

Before I concluded for myself that politics aim and goal has to be to make is as good for as many as possible at the same time as there should be as few downsides as possible, I had absolutely no idea where I stood in politics, because I could see the truth in pretty much all ideologies.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

At first I have to follow what I believe. If someone tries to impose something on me that I don't agree with I will exclude myself from that group, or, whoever is trying to impose that on me will learn to fear me. This is not something that I actively do, it just happens and isn't something that I usually can't take control over. When I find myself accepted for who I am within a group however, I will be keen on other peoples well being in the group.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I prefer conversations one-on-one no doubt, large groups are distracting and can have so much information that I easily fall idle to observe the discussions.

Trying to think before speaking is usually a disaster, and I can't hold exact words or speeches in my head at the same time as expressing myself. When being spontaneous in my speech I can even find myself thinking "Did I just say that?" as it more often than not are things that I haven't been able to successfully formulate inside my head.

My best verbal presentations at school are those with a loose structure of the speech, and then improvised for the rest.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I prefer to know in advance, but at the same time I can immensely enjoy an adventure. Spontaneous adventures can really be giving, but when it comes to making decisions and actions that has a long term consequence I hate to feel regret over a sudden action. If I am to make a mistake I want to learn something from it, and not just that I should have thought it over one more time in advance.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Saturday is usually the worst TV day in my opinion, but if there was something that I really wanted to see... I'd consider if I somehow can watch it later online, or in worst case download it I'd probably go. I usually push out people from my life, inadvertently, and are often very bad at keeping in touch and being the initiator of getting together and doing something that I appreciate it so much that I'll usually tag along, despite maybe not feeling like it that day. The moments where someone wants to actively spend time with me can feel few and far in between that I'll cherish what I'll get. This is a position that I actively choose, so in order to not make my friends disappointed in me it's something that I'll happily do for them.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
My cognitive skills seems to be absent, either I'm acting spontaneous and irrational, or I'm taking the appearance of being more calm/slower than usual. Stress isn't something that I can handle very well, and the feeling in it self eats me up from in side, almost/even taking over me completely.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

This feels like a trick question as it doesn't define in what context. For example I'd probably have a minor seizure if I had to grow up with an INTJ brother, the same way that I probably would give him a seizure, but I don't dislike him despite that. He likes to do what I don't like to do, so that I don't have to do it, and for that I will continue to hold him in high regards because of that.

But for dislike-dislike I guess that a narcissist manifests pretty much everything that I genuinely dislike in people. I'm better than you, You are expendable, I don't have a problem lying, I don't have a problem manipulating others to my liking, I don't have a problem with stealing, and I don't have a problem with if someone gets hurt.
These are people that I have little to no compassion for, and wouldn't hesitate to pull out in the cold if I feel that I have to. Trying to reason with this kind has shown to be unsuccessful in the past, so from now on I will try to expose them by spreading seeds of doubts to the other people in the group, and be sure to never lie when in the face of any in the group. Next time a confrontation happens one of us usually has to go, and I'll do my best to make sure that it won't be me, and that the person won't hurt the people that I care for.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Generally it's matters that can be related to finding the purpose in my life, and that can vary from a wide range from science, music, psychology, myths/religion, philosophy, esoterism, nature and more. I think that I have quite a wide repertoire of field of interests that I often can engage myself in another persons interests unless they are very superficial. I don't like small details, being, or talking about superficial things that I find have no value, so therefore I find it hard to even be the slightly interested by women's makeup and so fourth.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?

Good question, I wonder if I even know that myself.

My life compared to others, then I guess I pay little to no attention in trying to be "normal" and stop being, well, me. I give that little to no attention as I feel that it's something fundamental about me that I most often can't fix anyway. I'm quite often oblivious as to how I come about, which I can regret, and I guess being more focused on that would make it easier for me to navigate through life. I don't have to say certain things to people for example.

On a personal level... I don't know. Or, my health I guess. I think my problem is that I'm not really too concerned with my body, which feels a bit like a contradiction as I can be quite heavily focused on how I look.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

Quiet and mysterious. And weird, of course, but just plain and simple in the sense of me being enigmatic or hard to understand.

But the most common would be Cute, from females. I assume that this partially would derive from the same way that a precocious child is cute when he asks so big and hard questions about everything. My mother tells me that one of the niche things of me as a child was that I was precocious, and I guess that it's something that I can relate to and understand.

What I assume to be the most common wrong perception in my friends view of me would be to assume that I don't understand something, when in reality I can have an extremely deep understanding of something or someone behind my quiet, often non-revealing face.

They would never say that I'm a party dude, outgoing, stupid, cold heart and I guess lastly boring. The ones that I spend time with usually appreciate my randomness, and can often percieve things that I say funny as they quite often would be considered to be socially inadequate as my reasoning often appear to them as simply weird. Or that it's fun for them to observe what crazy things will come out next, either way. :p

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
What don't I feel like doing?!? I want to read, I want to meditate, I want to relax, I want to waste time on a forum, I want to play video games, I want to watch videos on YouTube, I want... And that's often an accurate representation of my days, I often spend them sitting in one place daydreaming. But when being down to earth I'd probably feel like taking a walk, reading, meditating and sitting in front of the computer and daydream. I'm not yet quite sure how to engage myself in getting a sense of direction, so I guess that's why I can seem so passive when I want to achieve great things.
Oh, I almost always listen to music, it's like breathing for me.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I don't think you're an INFJ actually. You seem to have a pretty healthy Fi preference and sort of turn your nose down at Extraverted Thinking types, so I'd venture to guess you are either ISFP or INFP--leaning toward ISFP as I didn't get much sense of Extraverted Intuition and the ability to shift contexts makes me think you have an Introverted Intuition preference somewhere (but not dominant like INFJ).

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think you're an INFJ actually. You seem to have a pretty healthy Fi preference and sort of turn your nose down at Extraverted Thinking types, so I'd venture to guess you are either ISFP or INFP--leaning toward ISFP as I didn't get much sense of Extraverted Intuition and the ability to shift contexts makes me think you have an Introverted Intuition preference somewhere (but not dominant like INFJ).
Thank you for your insights. You have a good point here, I've now read up a bit on Se vs Si and if I am to assume that this picture is true, then I'm pretty much "Check" all over Se pros and cons, while only having a few maybe over Si pros and cons. And this could perhaps also explain why I so strongly feel the urge to build my muscles: so that others can see my Se. And it makes sense I guess, because I consider new information the same way I do with new scientific discoveries, with great curiosity, interest and are ready to throw out what I previously thought for a new, better and improved theory.

The reason why I focused on NF is because I'm such a daydreamer, and, well, guess I had prejudice against the S-type personalities as being in a specific way. I suppose that you are right (unless someone comes with even more information!) that I'm probably ISFP. After spending a day or two over at the INFP forum I didn't really feel at home there as they don't have that primordially aggressive drive that Se seems to give (if I'm not misunderstanding the Se).

·
Registered
369 Posts
The reason why I focused on NF is because I'm such a daydreamer, and, well, guess I had prejudice against the S-type personalities as being in a specific way. I suppose that you are right (unless someone comes with even more information!) that I'm probably ISFP.
The ISFPs I've known are definitely daydreamer/imaginative types. They're considered artists, after all. Very thoughtful, quiet and introspective.

There are a lot of negative connotations that seem to hang around Sensors... but it's more of an internet-based phenomenon, where most information is transferred in a 'fast and dirty' form, for easy digestion by inattentive readers, and when a bad idea gets put in print on a web site, there's not much quality control applied, so it often gets copy and pasted, reiterated and regurgitated, over and over and over and over again. Ha!

But yeah... I'd also say ISFP is a good fit. Your Fi dom, at least, was very clear. :p

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ISFPs I've known are definitely daydreamer/imaginative types. They're considered artists, after all. Very thoughtful, quiet and introspective.

There are a lot of negative connotations that seem to hang around Sensors... but it's more of an internet-based phenomenon, where most information is transferred in a 'fast and dirty' form, for easy digestion by inattentive readers, and when a bad idea gets put in print on a web site, there's not much quality control applied, so it often gets copy and pasted, reiterated and regurgitated, over and over and over and over again. Ha!

But yeah... I'd also say ISFP is a good fit. Your Fi dom, at least, was very clear. :p
Yes, I remembered that as I made the connection Se - Artist. ^^

This does feel like a match though, unlike INFP and INFP and not an assumption, so I'll take my intuition for it to be right.

My best friend is ISTP, no question about it, and it could probably explain why we get along so well, then we share Se and Ni, but I often have to "push" him out of his bad habit, to overthink and overcomplicate things, and still sharing the artistic "gene". And in projects he's often the one to deal with editing and so fourth, which I guess was a creative duo match just waiting to happen.

Yes, I really appreciate my Fi. :) Once I started paying attention to it over my Te was at the same time as my inner compass started working again, and I could start feeling some sort of direction, and with Ni (if I haven't misunderstood it) I also just knew where I need to go and where I need to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts