Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so I just joined this site and this is my first post.

For several years I thought I was an INFP. I'm very imaginative, I daydream a lot, I'm really polite to everyone, and I love the arts. However, in the last few months I realized that I'm not attuned to the feelings of others at all. I act really nice to people and try to be as inoffensive as possible because I don't want to start conflict. I rarely feel sympathy or empathy towards others (although I do try, which I suppose counts for something), and I'm unmoved by strong displays of emotion. I can also be very selfish, which goes against the 'aiding humanity' aspect of INFPs. So I've been getting INTP on all the tests that I take recently just because my answers on the thinking/feeling questions are on the thinking side.

Yet I'm terrible at math and 'hard sciences.' In fact, I'm quite unintelligent in general, and INTPs are known for being smart. I have a lot of trouble thinking about things and I'm very unfocused. I guess I do like to learn in my own time, but at school I get bad grades and I procrastinate all the time. I also wouldn't consider myself all that logical. I would say that I am emotionally driven, but I only care about my own emotions, if that makes sense.

So I don't have much of an idea where I'm going with this, I just want to find out what my personality type is. It might not even be INFP or INTP. Does anyone have an idea what I might be from what I've said? Or just any advice in general would be really helpful.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
ENTP | 7w6 | so/sx
693 Posts
"and INTPs are known for being smart."

No way, Jose. You're misinterpreting the point of MBTI. MBTI isn't about your intelligence or behavior, it's about how your mind works. The only reason INTPs are "known for being smart" is simply because they lead with Ti, which deals primarily with little logical facts that are linked together.

Have you looked into the cognitive functions? It sounds like you're dealing with a bad case of "I don't fit this stereotype."

I'm not the best when it comes to typing real people, so I'm gonna let someone else do the typing. Just make sure you're not letting yourself be blindsided by stereotypes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"and INTPs are known for being smart."

No way, Jose. You're misinterpreting the point of MBTI. MBTI isn't about your intelligence or behavior, it's about how your mind works. The only reason INTPs are "known for being smart" is simply because they lead with Ti, which deals primarily with little logical facts that are linked together.

Have you looked into the cognitive functions? It sounds like you're dealing with a bad case of "I don't fit this stereotype."

I'm not the best when it comes to typing real people, so I'm gonna let someone else do the typing. Just make sure you're not letting yourself be blindsided by stereotypes.
Thanks for the response! I decided to take a cognitive functions test, and my results were: Ni - Ne - Te - Ti - Fi - Fe - Si - Se

My Ni and Ne were both the most developed. I'm not as educated on the cognitive functions, so what do my results mean?

·
Registered
ENTP | 7w6 | so/sx
693 Posts
Thanks for the response! I decided to take a cognitive functions test, and my results were: Ni - Ne - Te - Ti - Fi - Fe - Si - Se

My Ni and Ne were both the most developed. I'm not as educated on the cognitive functions, so what do my results mean?
Hmm. I'd recommend you avoid the cognitive function tests, because they don't work very well. In fact, ignore the online tests in general.

In any case, it means your Introverted Intuition (Ni) and Extroverted Intuition (Ne) are the most developed functions you possess.

Extroverts lead with extroverted functions and are generally more outward-oriented (ENFPs and ENTPs lead with Ne) while introverts lead with introverted functions and are more worried about the inner state of being (INFJs and INTJs lead with Ni).

Perhaps you should fill out a questionnaire? That makes it easier for people to get a clearer idea of how your mind works and provide their own opinion. Like I said, I'm gonna avoid typing because I'm not the best at it, but there are others that are pretty good at it.

·
Registered
ISFP
480 Posts
I'm very imaginative, I daydream a lot, I'm really polite to everyone, and I love the arts.
None of this is specific to INFP and certainly can be true for INTP.

However, in the last few months I realized that I'm not attuned to the feelings of others at all. I act really nice to people and try to be as inoffensive as possible because I don't want to start conflict.
Could be either Fi or Fe - if by "not attuned to the feelings of others," you mean you are instead more attuned to your own feelings, this may suggest Fi. Otherwise, this could also indicate you have yet to develop your inferior Fe. The second sentence doesn't really distinguish dom Fi from Fe.

I rarely feel sympathy or empathy towards others (although I do try, which I suppose counts for something), and I'm unmoved by strong displays of emotion.
Probably suggests T over F, and the fact that you feel obliged to at least try sympathizing/empathizing with others may be Fe.

I can also be very selfish, which goes against the 'aiding humanity' aspect of INFPs. So I've been getting INTP on all the tests that I take recently just because my answers on the thinking/feeling questions are on the thinking side.
Fi at its worst can be selfish - then again, any type can be perceived as "selfish" for different reasons. Consider in what way(s) you are "selfish." Do you refuse to compromise when your moral principles are violated? When something upsetting has happened, is it your first instinct to evaluate how the event made you feel as opposed to how others might have felt? (Not selfish; simply how Fi works, although it can be perceived by others as selfish).

Yet I'm terrible at math and 'hard sciences.' In fact, I'm quite unintelligent in general, and INTPs are known for being smart. I have a lot of trouble thinking about things and I'm very unfocused. I guess I do like to learn in my own time, but at school I get bad grades and I procrastinate all the time. I also wouldn't consider myself all that logical.
Personal interests and intelligence don't have much to do with MBTI. I love to write and don't care much for math either, which many may attribute to INFP. I still approach my writing with a Ti-Fe mindset, however.

I would say that I am emotionally driven, but I only care about my own emotions, if that makes sense.
If you believe yourself to be more emotionally-driven than thought-driven, this statement is indicative of higher up Fi. However, INTPs can have deep internal emotions too - having "privatized emotions" simply indicates introvert, not necessarily Fi in particular.

Given INxP, I think it's very possible you could be INTP - I wouldn't rule it out simply because you don't feel "logical" enough. As @Kaizuka suggested, it may be helpful to fill out a questionnaire or do some independent research on the functions and see which ones resonate with you.

Funky MBTI Fiction - Type Contrast: INTP vs INFP

^ The above Tumblr post might be helpful in deducing whether you're INFP or INTP. Otherwise, go ahead and have a click around - that blog has tons of information on all cognitive functions if you come to doubt you're INxP after all.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Bumping! Anyone able to help me out?
Hello. I'm an INFP, and I'd like to help.

As other's have suggested, the best option for you is to fill out a questionnaire. That way we can get a more accurate vibe of who you are.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Questionnaire!

Are you aware of your feelings, do you have a poker face/angry face, describe a picture, and what do you see in the clouds?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It took me a while, but I finally filled out a questionnaire! Some of my answers are pretty short, and some of them might not even make sense, but oh well. Thanks for the help, everyone!
-

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

While I can recognize other people's feelings, I never feel a strong need to help others and I'm not empathetic. In general, I'm just not very attuned to emotion. However, I wouldn't describe myself as a completely logical person.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

I want something interesting to happen, and I want to achieve a higher level of understanding of the world and learn new things. I can't really explain it that well, but I want constant change and adventure. I don't want to just get a job and work for money, and as of now (I realize that this can change) I have no interests in starting a family.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I can't really think of a time like that. I feel really happy when I'm on vacation somewhere because it feels like my life and responsibilities don't exist.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

A lot of things, but I especially hate when I can't understand something that everyone else seems to easily grasp. And related to that, when people look down on me because I can't understand it.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I think about how it would affect my life in the long term. I do weigh the pros and cons, although I do it very quickly in my head. I consider how it affects other people last, but if it's harmful to others I'll probably not do it in case it starts conflict.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I prefer working on projects by myself, and I like to consider how I can make the project unique. I want control of the outcome when I'm working on it alone, however, if I'm working with others I don't want to have full control.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I can't really remember. I'll pass on this question.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

It feels most natural for me to theorize and form an understanding of it in my own time. Hands-on learning is unhelpful to me. I do try and memorize things, but if I just memorize and not think deeper, I don't learn anything.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

I'm very unorganized, and I always have been.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I first try and look for the principles behind it to see if it makes sense. Only when I get a general grasp of the idea do I look for information that supports it. If I try and look for information without understanding the full concept, I get confused.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

The second one is much more important to me.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I think before speaking, because otherwise my words get all jumbled up. And I prefer one on one discussion most of the time, but I’m also comfortable discussing in a group of three, because it means I’m not obligated to always say something.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I don’t jump into action right away. I like to have a general idea of what I’m going to do. And I would say that most of the time actions do speak more than words, because a person can say anything and not actually mean it.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Definitely decline my friends. I don’t like going out during the night, and I would need to know in advance even if I were to go out with them.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
When I’m really stressed out, I act carefree and make jokes when I’m around other people. In my head, I’m a lot more irritable and tense.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I dislike people who think they’re naturally superior to others. It really bothers me a lot, because I used to be arrogant like that on the inside, but I’ve learned from it now. I also don’t like it when people act fake or pretend to be knowledgeable about something.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
My interests. I get kind of embarrassed about it, but when something I’m passionate comes up in a conversation I talk a lot. I also like talking with people about ideas that will probably never become a reality. It’s fun.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
Practical things and my surroundings. I zone out a lot, and I tend to forget things like dates and deadlines.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
I’m not that sure, but I think that they think of me as being shy, open-minded, casual/carefree, and a bit of a doormat. A perception that they have of me that’s wrong is probably that I never think about the future. I’m actually constantly focusing on the future, but because I’m very casual towards what I want to do with my life, they assume that I don’t care at all. My friends would never say that I’m outgoing.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
First, I’d probably take my dog out for a walk by myself. Then I’d stay home for the rest of the day and browse the internet, play video games, and draw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts