Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

Female, 31, I am somewhat tired and have new medications for ADD which don’t make me feel all that good right now. I am considering if I am an ISFP instead, perhaps I just want to be a ‘healer’ so I'd love another's take on it.
I am studying the functions but I still have some trouble differentiating N and S though I personally go for the N.

2. What type(s) do you usually score as on tests?

INFP. INFJ once, but I felt I hadn’t been entirely truthful.

3. Click on this link: Choose 2 photos and look at each for as long as you feel that you need. Copy and paste the photos here.

/photos/ana-ana-ana/9820028305/in/explore-2013-09-19

It has a beautiful contrast in colours, focus and sharpness. Both the subjects as they fade in and out of focus, as well as their own texture: The prickly sharpness of the evergreen that must smell so comforting, and the softness and vulnerability of the boy’s skin and clothes. It is both inviting and secretive. Open and closed. I cannot help but wonder about it and there’s already a story running around in my head.

/photos/jacoboson/9818292756/in/explore-2013-09-19

I feel a twinge of sadness and if I am honest, even the tiniest bit of annoyance. Trying to alter or perhaps even ‘improve’ something that is naturally beautiful feels wrong to me though I realize it may not be the artist’s intent. It also reminds me of wearing masks. It won’t change what’s underneath and it won’t be or feel or look real either.

Perhaps the artist just wanted to combine two things he/she enjoyed or somehow connect with nature using their favorite activity. I’m curious to know.

4. You are on the clock to fix something, a friend of yours sits beside you and gives a lot of interesting ideas, none of them actually help or are related to your situation, but they are still something you find interesting. What is your reaction? What do you say? What do you do? What's your train of thought?

I thank my friend for his/her help, but explain I have a time limit. I’ll comment on the suggestions as to what I found interesting about them, and that we can discuss them later if he/she wants. For now I kindly ask to be left alone, careful as to not offend them, because it is easier for me to fix it that way.

5a. What are some of your most important values?
Justice, sincerity, authenticity. To always try to bring out the best in people and have their best interest at heart (which sometimes calls for a difficult decision that may seem unsympathetic)

5b. Can they change? What would be the reason if they changed?
I cannot think of a reason that would be strong enough to change them.

6. You are in a car with some other people, the people in the car are talking. Someone makes a claim that you see as immoral/rude/cruel. What is your inward reaction? What do you think? What do you say?
It depends, if I find it highly immoral I may find surprising eloquence in rebuking it even catching myself off guard, though this happens rarely.
If the conflict is mild I will try to mediate to show different sides and approach it from different angles to create understanding.
It also depends on the people. If I don’t know them well and don’t click well with them it is also possible I may just distance myself altogether and feel bad for the rest of the ride and think about why they would hold such opinions/how they came to them, and try to understand them.

7. a) What activities energizes you the most? Why?
Painting, creating movies/stories (frequently also to music) in my imagination or through writing and drawing. Seeing people being loving/loved/ happy/becoming happier or accomplishing something and being proud of themselves. Enjoying beauty in many forms. Anticipating about fun things to come. Sometimes dancing and letting loose. I love being with close friends, try out new and/or exciting experiences and hanging out with mother nature.

7. b) What activities drains you the most? Why?
Crowded parties with loud music that falls outside of my liking, though I can love a concert, or dancing, as long as I can leave right after or when my ‘battery’ runs out) Meeting a lot of new people at once and getting a detailed feel for who they are. It’s not that I dislike it; it is just too much information to process at once.
Feeling misunderstood or harshly judged can take the fight out of me for a bit.

8. Do you believe you are introverted or extraverted? Why do you believe that? (Please be as detailed as possible)
Introverted. I need my alone time to recharge. I can be very social and really enthusiastic, but only for a number of hours before I need to be alone and reflect/recharge. If I had several busy days I really need some time off to myself, more than ‘relaxing’ for a few hours. If this is somehow thwarted, I get very stressed and taxed.

9. Please describe yourself, what do you see as your greatest strengths and what do you see as your greatest weaknesses?
My greatest strength is probably empathy and the ability to read emotions and interpret body language and intonation/nuance of words.
I also have a fairly good feel for colour and expression.
My greatest weakness is lack of confidence and organizing. Making decisions is usually hard and finishing something almost impossible. My house is orderly but not without considerate effort. My atelier is a mess which I find both pleasant and disheartening.

10. Please describe yourself when you are feeling stressed. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.
My empathy ‘fades’ because I have no energy left for it and I go into survival mode. I retreat into myself by means of protection and become uncharacteristically impatient though I rarely lash out at anyone. I often had trouble keeping believing in my own skills or worth sending myself in a downward spiral, but that has improved greatly over time though it remains something I need to watch out for.

11. What is your "soft spot" (the area that makes you upset if people mess with)?
When someone makes fun of or hurts another intentionally. Disregarding another’s worth or rights or dreams.
Not so much inability as unwillingness to understand the viewpoints and values/desires of someone different from them. Dishonesty and fakery. Manipulation.

12. What are most of the ideas/thoughts you get generally centered around (try to expand your answers as much as possible)?
Creating art and stories and most importantly the underlying message possible impact of it, self-development and how to be able to help other people on an emotional level or how to get back in touch with themselves and find out what they want. Figuring out what I want, or how to become a better person.

13. What's your opinion of getting frequent feedback on what you do? (Someone pointing out what is good, what is bad, what and how to improve) Is there a limit to how often you want feedback? If so, what is the limit?
It entirely depends. Criticism is naturally difficult for me to deal with because it is hard for me to separate it from my personal worth/self but it’s something I have worked very hard on to improve. It used to knock me down with ridiculous ease, now not so much because I can sort of keep a ‘bird’s view’ most of the time and I do value feedback a lot. If I find the criticism valid (and it may or may not take me a bit to disconnect it from possible negative/hurt feelings depending on how it was delivered) I will try to improve/better the work/myself though it annoys me if people only say ‘this is bad’ as it adds no value or information I can work with apart from my own interpretation.
The way in which criticism is delivered is important to me though I will always try to view it as objectively as possible with varying succes. Criticism that keeps in mind the big picture that is delivered considerate yet rationally, I subscribe much more validation to.

Feedback is fine. But let me try for a while on my own. Please don’t tell me what to do all the time. I don’t mind to be guided gently now and then and I will be grateful for it, but I dislike being led.

14. Anything beyond what has been discussed that you would like to add?
I am not a native speaker. I also seem to have a fatal attraction to ENTJs. Ha.

Thank you for your time! It is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
@Diadorim, first of all, don't get too hung up on the "names" that people have given them. ISFPs are among the most adorable people I know like @LittleOrange.
On that note, there seems to be a clear presence of Se and inferior Te so I'd say that your suspicion was correct and that you are in fact an ISFP. :)

I recommend reading this: Really Me
and then this: Psychological Types - Wikisocion

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
@Diadorim, first of all, don't get too hung up on the "names" that people have given them. ISFPs are among the most adorable people I know like @LittleOrange.
On that note, there seems to be a clear presence of Se and inferior Te so I'd say that your suspicion was correct and that you are in fact an ISFP. :)

I recommend reading this: Really Me
and then this: Psychological Types - Wikisocion
Aww, thank you, Acy! :)

To the OP, I quickly skimmed, but I´d say you´re ISFP specifically based on your description of pictures and what energises you.
INFPs always look for deeper meaning in stuff, especially pictures, your descriptions seem to describe sensory stuff, like colors, smells etc. :) And you seem to be energized by activities, by doing, experiencing, rather than learning etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you for your comments.

I have considered them and I think I may have misrepresented myself through my doubts and lack of explanation.

Looking harder at why I doubted, and reading/studying the material as well (thank you, it was very helpful and I’ll continue studying to further my understanding) as well as having read every ISFP/INFP comparison thread and watch related videos (also those with only ISFPs or INFPs talking) and studying up on Ni-Ne and Si-Se especially and the order of the functions of ISFP and INFP I have come to current stance that I am INFP.

An INFP with developed Se in *specific relation to certain subjects due to training this for years* (as in relation to imagery, painting and writing primarily)

Other Se oriented activities serve more as a way to ‘ground’ myself and bring me back to current (se) reality, as I live in my head most of the time, than that they are representative of me as a dominant aspect, which they are not.
Wanting new experiences and ‘fun’ things don’t necessarily mean dominantly sensory experiences for me either and could also be attributed to Ne rather than Se. They can be new areas of interest or new concepts, meeting new people (and figuring them out which is perhaps one of my favourite things to do) and theories, books or philosophies as well as new sensory information and frequently are.

My purpose through stories and art is also my desire to communicate my own values and to help people (re)discover themselves aside from aesthetics alone, though I do find beauty in itself very pleasing, admittedly.

I used to write poetry when I was younger and rather than more literal and sensory it was very heavy on (personal) symbolism and metaphors, which I think may indicate INFP rather than ISFP though there is always the chance of exception depending on how one has developed. I was told frequently as a child to ‘draw real things’ and to write more comprehensible things. Also my family has several artists who are spectacularly gifted in ‘sensory’ art which may have influenced me.

But I'm open to discussion :)

·
Registered
3,704 Posts

I have considered them and I think I may have misrepresented myself through my doubts and lack of explanation.

Looking harder at why I doubted, and reading/studying the material as well (thank you, it was very helpful and I’ll continue studying to further my understanding) as well as having read every ISFP/INFP comparison thread and watch related videos (also those with only ISFPs or INFPs talking) and studying up on Ni-Ne and Si-Se especially and the order of the functions of ISFP and INFP I have come to current stance that I am INFP.

An INFP with developed Se in *specific relation to certain subjects due to training this for years* (as in relation to imagery, painting and writing primarily)

Other Se oriented activities serve more as a way to ‘ground’ myself and bring me back to current (se) reality, as I live in my head most of the time, than that they are representative of me as a dominant aspect, which they are not.
Wanting new experiences and ‘fun’ things don’t necessarily mean dominantly sensory experiences for me either and could also be attributed to Ne rather than Se. They can be new areas of interest or new concepts, meeting new people (and figuring them out which is perhaps one of my favourite things to do) and theories, books or philosophies as well as new sensory information and frequently are.

My purpose through stories and art is also my desire to communicate my own values and to help people (re)discover themselves aside from aesthetics alone, though I do find beauty in itself very pleasing, admittedly.

I used to write poetry when I was younger and rather than more literal and sensory it was very heavy on (personal) symbolism and metaphors, which I think may indicate INFP rather than ISFP though there is always the chance of exception depending on how one has developed. I was told frequently as a child to ‘draw real things’ and to write more comprehensible things. Also my family has several artists who are spectacularly gifted in ‘sensory’ art which may have influenced me.

First, no matter how much you are exposed to a function, it doesn't make you use it more comfortably if it's not a preferred function.
Secondly, when describing things you describe them with Se and not Si and those are quite distinct.
My first thought when I read this was that you want to be an INFP and thus what we say will be irrelevant as enough evidence won't stack up and your mind will continuously make excuses to support that bias.

This is irrelevant, intuition has nothing to do with symbolism or metaphors. Also, knowing an ISTJ female who is the most dreamy person I know who seems to have a thin grasp of reality then well, irrelevant.
Also, ISFPs got tertiary Ni, so they might seem more like intuitives than they are.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I think you are ISFP. I also test INFP more than any others ( though I got ESFP in Keirsey, and INFJ in keys to cognition, probably because of overestimated Ni breakthrough or "psychic" ability) ....

Welcome. :)

I totally related to empathy running out and going into "survival" mode, which both pains and strengthens me. I think it may be the curse of the Fi type. Fe becomes overbearing or conformist, Fi becomes self absorbed or Mini Stalin.

I chastise my ESFP about this, wanting to cure him of his selfish ways, but then I remember I also deal with stress and self fortify through being a self absorbed asshole. And as ExFP good god he has to grow into that Fi.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Aww, thank you, Acy! :)

To the OP, I quickly skimmed, but I´d say you´re ISFP specifically based on your description of pictures and what energises you.
INFPs always look for deeper meaning in stuff, especially pictures, your descriptions seem to describe sensory stuff, like colors, smells etc. :) And you seem to be energized by activities, by doing, experiencing, rather than learning etc.
Yeah I find that Fi and Ni will also analyze, but Se finds true comfort in nature, pleasant smells, touch, food, sex, nature, sleep, music, experience, etc.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts

I relate for that consuming need to "ground" or "return to reality." That's auxiliary Se.

We aren't real without our realness. Being in an Fi/Ni loop can cause unnecessary stress that can be assuaged easily by the beach, a bike ride, the art museum, beautiful music, making love, or even fact collection in regards to some things your Fi gives a shit about.

You know sometimes I just need to sit outside or take a walk and go to the store.

When I wake up, my first impulse is to open the window, stretch, eat, go outside.

I can't be thrown into groups of.people (Fi) and I do not want tv, computer, phone or even books (Se need for tangible experience or fact).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think you are ISFP. I also test INFP more than any others ( though I got ESFP in Keirsey, and INFJ in keys to cognition, probably because of overestimated Ni breakthrough or "psychic" ability) ....

Welcome. :)

I totally related to empathy running out and going into "survival" mode, which both pains and strengthens me. I think it may be the curse of the Fi type. Fe becomes overbearing or conformist, Fi becomes self absorbed or Mini Stalin.

I chastise my ESFP about this, wanting to cure him of his selfish ways, but then I remember I also deal with stress and self fortify through being a self absorbed asshole. And as ExFP good god he has to grow into that Fi.
Thank you for the welcome :)

My mother is probably an ESFJ, though I am hesitant to type her as I am still learning and she just doesn’t seem to be able to reach her Fi very well or understand her own needs. I often feel I can’t reach her and when I try to encourage her to think about what she wants/who she really is it gets ugly very quickly. She tries to illicit approval and validation from me through manipulation, which I find so horrendous I can’t give it to her and it has become hard to do that naturally, sadly.

I’m sorry for the sidetrack. Part of getting into MBTI now not just for myself but also how I can improve my relationship with her through understanding and knowing better how to support her. She is getting health problems and I am just worried I cannot fix our relationship in time/she will forever be stuck.

Well the whole ‘you may be an isfp mistyped as an infp’ that I have seen others struggle with on the forum when I started reading is why I ended up here. I tested as infp 3 or 4 times over the past years (usually re-taking the test when I was predicting types for characters from my own stories and those of friends for fun to see if I had a grasp on their character) and once as an INFJ when I replied more in a ‘would want to be like this’ fashion.

I relate for that consuming need to "ground" or "return to reality." That's auxiliary Se.

We aren't real without our realness. Being in an Fi/Ni loop can cause unnecessary stress that can be assuaged easily by the beach, a bike ride, the art museum, beautiful music, making love, or even fact collection in regards to some things your Fi gives a shit about.

You know sometimes I just need to sit outside or take a walk and go to the store.

When I wake up, my first impulse is to open the window, stretch, eat, go outside.

I can't be thrown into groups of.people (Fi) and I do not want tv, computer, phone or even books (Se need for tangible experience or fact).
I don’t want to generalize too much but do you find this common in ISFPs? The urge to go out in the morning, or perhaps sports/physical activity? Would you say they are the people who generally don’t have trouble getting excited for sports or band practice etc? (Though I guess there are other S types for who sports/physicality are more important)

I have more trouble relating to Ni than Ne, but most extraverted functions are just easier to understand. I understood it is more condensing/converging. Building if you will. Would you mind explaining how it works for you?

And I am curious about the Fi-Ni loop. Could you explain what happens? I may recognize it.

First, no matter how much you are exposed to a function, it doesn't make you use it more comfortably if it's not a preferred function.
Secondly, when describing things you describe them with Se and not Si and those are quite distinct.
My first thought when I read this was that you want to be an INFP and thus what we say will be irrelevant as enough evidence won't stack up and your mind will continuously make excuses to support that bias.

This is irrelevant, intuition has nothing to do with symbolism or metaphors. Also, knowing an ISTJ female who is the most dreamy person I know who seems to have a thin grasp of reality then well, irrelevant.
Also, ISFPs got tertiary Ni, so they might seem more like intuitives than they are.
Looking at it from your angle I would arrive at the same conclusion. It probably looks a lot like backtracking with excuses. I can understand that.

I still think I was so pre-occupied with Se and how it is present in my life in prospect of being an ISFP I gave it far too much prevalence in my descriptions, but perhaps this is just projection on my side.

I would agree I am not entirely unbiased because I have identified as an INFP over the years, however obvious bias gives me a strong feeling of discord and I choose not to ignore that. I have no use for typing myself as an INFP and then feeling that it’s invalidated by my own knowing that I come to that conclusion based on presumed preference. It wouldn’t work. I would not be able to acknowledge it myself.
I would not make a topic but just list as an INFP right away, unless I wasn’t interested in the best assessment.

The most important thing for me is growth. I am obviously not going to be changed by what letters are linked to my avatar, but for the best opportunity to learn about myself and work on development it is important to me to search for the most accurate conclusion.

Perhaps I don’t use Si and thus am not INFP. The only thing I can think of was memory surfacing or other images popping to the front briefly by lack of a better term, and the feelings it accompanies when I looked at the photos but I did not write those down. But I’m not sure that is Si, I just have the impression it is. I am still learning about the functions.

Is frequent memory reliving an Si thing? I also often have memories surfacing that were painful/embarrassing to me and they can and have been very crippling and for a long time shut down my progress in the past. They are very ‘in my face’ and sometimes I shock people by a sudden (involuntary) verbal/physical reaction to a memory I am reliving.

Se is perhaps the easiest of the functions to understand, but Si I find more troublesome, perhaps also due to its more subconscious nature.

Could you explain more about Si and how it would manifest? I know the functions themselves are decisive, not circumstantial elements, but I don’t find them entirely irrelevant when looking for a pattern. Just not of the greatest importance.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
@Diadorim, the extroverted functions are more accurately called objective functions and the introverted subjective functions.
Both S functions deal with sensations (anything you can see, hear, touch, smell etc.)
Sensations are naturally objective and this is why Se is easy to understand.
Si however puts subjectivity on top of sensations (which are naturally objective). It can't really be explained more accurately than that. This is however also why people often say that it is connected to memory as subjective things need to be based on something and that something is likely from the past and thus people believe that Si is about memory (which is untrue, it is merely a subjective perception of sensations).

Se users tend to describe what they see, Se is often easy to notice due to that.
Someone I pointed out as an INFP for example to this picture: Cleaning Up | Flickr - Photo Sharing! said:
The man on this picture looks lost somehow, and I think this photo has something subtly, but intensely touching. I can feel the stillness in the picture. I can feel the heavy age lying on the man's shoulders. The hall looks empty, but it seems to be old and full of cold memories. It's a bittersweet picture.
and to another picture (Brumas de La Orotava - Explore | Flickr - Photo Sharing!) said:
When I see the photo, I feel coldness and freshness, a long dizzy night becomes clear. It's direct and very expressive, I can almost smell the earth under my feets and hear the bird's lucid voices.
There's very little objectivity in this.

Yours however is quite distinctively Se
/photos/ana-ana-ana/9820028305/in/explore-2013-09-19

It has a beautiful contrast in colours, focus and sharpness. Both the subjects as they fade in and out of focus, as well as their own texture: The prickly sharpness of the evergreen that must smell so comforting, and the softness and vulnerability of the boy’s skin and clothes. It is both inviting and secretive. Open and closed. I cannot help but wonder about it and there’s already a story running around in my head.
This might seem like Si, but if you're used to it then you'll see that it's Se (and Ni) and also some bias that tries to imitate what is believed to be Si (I know because I have done that myself).
You are describing the picture like an Se user, then you've just tried to use Si, but used Ni instead (that's basically what happens when an Se user consciously try to use Si as Si is a lot more alien to you than Ni and Pi function like Pi function ya know. Both are subjective, but Ni is a lot more comfortable for your mind and the mind can be kinda lazy).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This might seem like Si, but if you're used to it then you'll see that it's Se (and Ni) and also some bias that tries to imitate what is believed to be Si (I know because I have done that myself).
You are describing the picture like an Se user, then you've just tried to use Si, but used Ni instead (that's basically what happens when an Se user consciously try to use Si as Si is a lot more alien to you than Ni and Pi function like Pi function ya know. Both are subjective, but Ni is a lot more comfortable for your mind and the mind can be kinda lazy).
I see. I hadn’t read about Si at the time but I did overthink the images.

I mentioned there were feelings/associations/impressions I did not write down as they seemed more personal to me and not necessarily to be shared (focusing on Se) which was entirely stupid! for now I will seem forever biased and Se. Ah how I shoot myself in the foot. I bypassed myself out of doubt, look where it gets me :)
I can relate very well to those descriptions you quoted and it gives me a sense of relief, as I could have expressed a comparable description myself very well. It is not nearly as alien to me as you may conclude going on my faulty descriptive information but I expect this is of no use to you because 'evidence' would point to the contrary (by which I certainly don't mean your logic is lacking, but that it is based on false premises that I supplied when I suddenly started to doubt my previous notions and starting summing up all the things that remind me of Se and what I could have in common with ISFPs)

You may insist it is still bias, that is perfectly understandable, I do not expect to overturn that and it's my own fault.

I should probably redo the descriptions for several (new) photos or works, but I am worried I will overthink them like I did here, instead of letting them come naturally and not feeling like I was trying to prove/have to prove something, which won't work. Perhaps I can find a different way.
Just going through some photos at flicker I relax when I can take in the big picture first, what it communicates to me personally and then start focussing on details if they happen to catch my eye. I never realized consciously how the focussing on details/specific information was actually so much more tiring to me.

I am sorry for starting this thread on a wrong basis (not just image description wise but many other tangents I ran off with as well) but it has been very helpful for my own insight and I am kind of embarrassed by it.

I also feel a sense of relief I do not have to worry so much about Se anymore. I always felt I was slightly lacking in that regard in comparison to my fellow artists, noticing just not quite the same things they did (and certainly not as fast)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts