Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a lot of research into my personality type. I've done every free online test I can find and every time I've got the same result - INFP. On tests where you can see the percentages (for example, your percentage of feeling vs thinking) I always get Introversion, Intuition, Feeling and Perception by a long mile. However, one test threw me off a bit and gave me the result ISFP. I've never had the result since, nor do I remember what test it was, but I remember feeling very confused.

There's no doubt that I am a Fi and Te user. My Te tends to come out a lot actually, but I have a feeling that's because I don't really want anyone to get to know me so I scare them off by being a bit tactless. I am, however, definitely guided by emotions.

I would say that I am a dreamer, and quite a creative one at that. I have dreams of moving to Los Angeles and becoming a screenwriter, and I often fantasise about sitting on my balcony in my LA apartment, writing as the sun sets, as lame and sickening as it sounds. I've wanted to be a writer since I was old enough to write, and as a kid I was a huge bookworm who could sometimes read up to four books a day. I was reading my mum's books by the time I was nine. My teachers have always hated me because they say I could do well if I stopped daydreaming and staring out of the window. They always used to say to me "One day your imagination is going to run away with you," and I hoped that it did.

You didn't ask for my life story, I know, so I'm going to cut this short as I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this. The reason I think there's the slightest possibility I might be an ISFP rather than an INFP is that I have quite a low IQ. My mum is an INFP and my sister is an ENTP and their IQs are both more than 150. Mine is only 90. I suck at maths and science too (something intuitives tend to excel at) and I get panicky every time I have to work out a basic maths problem that I can't do on my fingers. And I stop listening when things get scientific because I know I'll end up with a headache. That being said, I do excel at essay-based subjects: thriving at subjects like Media Studies and Sociology where there are theories involved and the answers can be a little bit more ambiguous and I can let my creative side out a little.

Anyway, if you're still reading and haven't fallen asleep yet, what's your personal opinion? Am I an INFP? Am I an ISFP? Or am I a combination of both? I'm not saying give me a full MBTI analysis but a second opinion on my type would really help me.

(In case this helps - my enneagram type is 9!)

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Don't even bother trying to type yourself based off intelligence. You have an incredibly small sample size of two intuitives with high IQ compared to your own, it's not anything conclusive.

Anyway, it's not uncommon for ISFPs to be daydreamy, I sure was as a kid. Your dreams seem to be pretty tangible and realistic, though. Not practical, but realistic. One of the better examples I've read about the difference between Fi doms was that ISFPs may daydream about riding around on roller skates instead of walking, INFPs might daydream about flying. You get the idea - realism over fantasy, even when daydreaming.

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
Intelligence, creativity, and daydreaming have little to do with the dichotomy of N vs. S. Perhaps intuitives might have a higher average IQ than sensors, but the smartest sensor is far smarter than the dullest intuitive, and there are many more sensors than intuitives. While I disagree with @Kito on daydreaming about flying - since it still involves a tangible sensation - his point still stands about daydreaming not being the purveyor of intuition. Sensing is not just the immediate five senses.

A good way to tell an intuitive apart from a sensor is to ask them to describe their impressions of a picture. Take a look at some random photos on Flickr, pick one that interests you, and describe your impressions for us.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be honest, I don't often daydream about flying. Most of my daydreams involve my own little dream world: I'm currently writing a TV drama and I'm always stuck in that world, sometimes getting so caught up in it that I forget that the real world exists. I spend so much time dreaming about it, in fact, that I forget (or just can't be bothered) to get it down on paper which is a (P)erceiving thing I'm guessing? I've been developing the character of my protagonist for so long that sometimes I get her feelings mixed up with my own, which sounds weird. I'll go into a clothes store and see something on a rack and I think "wow that's nice" before realising that I would never wear that - it's something she would wear. Does that make sense? Am I crazy? I have no idea what's creativity and what's pure madness at this point.

Soul Kitchen - I liked all the pictures! Even though some of them were of dull, mundane objects like nails for example, I liked the photographers' interpretation of them - they turned them into something artsy and creative. There was one I liked of a bug, a praying mantis I believe, and usually I'm not a huge insect fan but I thought the photograph was stunning - the focus, the intricacy...they took a creature that I am usually scared shitless of and turned it into a work of art. I used to be heavily into photography when I was around 14 or 15 but I was never quite that good. I liked the ones of nature as well - I love looking at photographs of nature or other places in the world; my Instagram following list is basically a bunch of travel blogs. I feel stuck and bored and claustrophobic where I am to the point where I get anxious and looking at pictures of other places in the world makes me feel calm. I'd love to travel one day (which is what all 18 year olds say, I know) because there's a whole wide world out there that I have yet to explore and it excites me. Even just walking through nature or in the dark with my music on helps to keep me calm - there's just something about exploring the world around you and being alone with your own thoughts that feels therapeutic for me.

I'm aware that I just wrote a 50-page dissertation on what I thought of the photos you showed me, but I hope this helps you somehow?

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
I'll be honest, I don't often daydream about flying. Most of my daydreams involve my own little dream world: I'm currently writing a TV drama and I'm always stuck in that world, sometimes getting so caught up in it that I forget that the real world exists. I spend so much time dreaming about it, in fact, that I forget (or just can't be bothered) to get it down on paper which is a (P)erceiving thing I'm guessing? I've been developing the character of my protagonist for so long that sometimes I get her feelings mixed up with my own, which sounds weird. I'll go into a clothes store and see something on a rack and I think "wow that's nice" before realising that I would never wear that - it's something she would wear. Does that make sense? Am I crazy? I have no idea what's creativity and what's pure madness at this point.

Soul Kitchen - I liked all the pictures! Even though some of them were of dull, mundane objects like nails for example, I liked the photographers' interpretation of them - they turned them into something artsy and creative. There was one I liked of a bug, a praying mantis I believe, and usually I'm not a huge insect fan but I thought the photograph was stunning - the focus, the intricacy...they took a creature that I am usually scared shitless of and turned it into a work of art. I used to be heavily into photography when I was around 14 or 15 but I was never quite that good. I liked the ones of nature as well - I love looking at photographs of nature or other places in the world; my Instagram following list is basically a bunch of travel blogs. I feel stuck and bored and claustrophobic where I am to the point where I get anxious and looking at pictures of other places in the world makes me feel calm. I'd love to travel one day (which is what all 18 year olds say, I know) because there's a whole wide world out there that I have yet to explore and it excites me. Even just walking through nature or in the dark with my music on helps to keep me calm - there's just something about exploring the world around you and being alone with your own thoughts that feels therapeutic for me.

I'm aware that I just wrote a 50-page dissertation on what I thought of the photos you showed me, but I hope this helps you somehow?
Your focus on the pictures is on the visible aesthetic of each picture, and how your inner responses related to their aesthetic. I don't see any engagement with an archetype, but your visual impressions were vivid and quite strong. I also found your line about thinking of clothing in terms of what your character would wear gives away an ISFP typing. I think an ISFP would be more in tune to those sorts of things than an INFP would be.

ISFP it is.

·
Registered
Isfp
147 Posts
The reason I think there's the slightest possibility I might be an ISFP rather than an INFP is that I have quite a low IQ. My mum is an INFP and my sister is an ENTP and their IQs are both more than 150. Mine is only 90. I suck at maths and science too
Oh gosh... I'm an idiot in math &C. but I consider myself quite smart (I can easily read people and I'm quite good when it comes to art, story, philosophy, languages and so on). You can have a high QI, but if you're incompetent in other fields, than you aren't intelligent, just good with logic and math.
I would say that I am a dreamer
I'd say that both Isfp and Infp dreams a lot, but maybe Isfp is a bit more down-to-earth (even when I dream about a fantasy story, I try to think about the most coherent/realistic/likely "dream", about what could actually happen in that story).

Did you write texts at school? How were they? Did you write lots of thing or get lost with hundred ideas that you could hardly put together to create a coherent text? Or did you find difficulties with brainstorming, your texts were maybe too short because you didin't have many ideas?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More that your description of a Sensor has confused my whole idea of what a Sensor is and what an Intuitive is. If that's a Sensor, then what is an Intuitive?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When we would write stories at school I'd always get bad grades despite storywriting being my only talent because we'd be given a brief for a short, 500 word story and I'd get carried away. I'd have an idea for a novel, a prequel and three follow-up books. I'd have so much to write that I wouldn't be able to write it all in time and by the time everyone else was finished, I'd barely got started on my disruption stage of the narrative. That being said, though, I've definitely got more adaptable in recent years. If I plan out my structure then I can get it done in time but usually as I start creating my mind is buzzing an I can think of nothing else for days - and if it's something I'm creating in my spare time, months or even years. I keep coming up with new ideas faster than I can get them down.

·
Registered
344 Posts
More that your description of a Sensor has confused my whole idea of what a Sensor is and what an Intuitive is. If that's a Sensor, then what is an Intuitive?
You're probably an INFP. You're description of the pictures didn't really sound that.. detailed to me in a visual sense. More impressionistic than aesthetic details. I didn't look at any of the photos and all I pulled from your description was that one had a praying mantis and one had nails.
Here, check this out: New simple way of determining Ne/Si vs Se/Ni

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
My understanding of an intuitive is one who engages the archetype behind the thing. A sensor does not just point at an object and say "that's an object", but can also engage with the aesthetic sensibilities of the object itself.

I'll highlight sentences that I consider focus on the aesthetic from a sensing perspective.

You see the object, you focus on the sensory qualities of the object to find aesthetic, and then you ruminate on the aesthetic based on how it makes you feel about it.

I would have expected an INFP to explore the idea behind a photo. They might look at a photo of the praying mantis and think of how the predator of their own ecosystem looks so small and vulnerable under a camera lense. As though God were looking down on the mantis and judging it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hard to tell thanks to your age, but IMO, INFP, but due to your young age you haven't fully developed your Ne. if you come back in 4 years, I'm pretty darn sure you'd be a very straightforward INFP. Even so, the Ne preference is still there, and the Ne-Si orientation is as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts