Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I guess because I always get INFP, but it hasn’t always seemed to fit just right.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I want to see the world, explore it, learn from it. I want to have enough money to do this in relative comfort and know that I’ll be secure. I want to be ambitious, but I’m just not. I just want to explore and learn.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
Honestly, just being in New York City. I love the life, movement, the accessibility to cultural events.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Being made to feel like I (or my opinions) are irrelevant?

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I definitely think a lot about how it will affect the ones I love, but I also make a lot of rash decisions made in the heat of an emotion too.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I like to just be a part of the group. Like I said, I’m not ambitious. If I do a good job, it’s nice to be acknowledged, but I’m not typically interested in taking the lead of anything.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Again, being in New York, especially during my favorite time of the year.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I’m definitely hands on. I like to think I can get theory to an extent, but understanding by doing definitely helps. I don’t memorize well, but if I can make a pneumonic device, I will never forget it.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
L O L

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I’m pretty open to new ideas as long as I don’t find them to be illogical so… I guess I look to see both if it makes sense and if there’s anything to support it.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I like when people feel like they’re not left out. If I notice someone at a gathering isn’t talking or sitting next to someone, I try to pull them in. If we’re getting into something that’s serious and goes against my ethical standards, I won’t back down from my beliefs.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I probably speak before I think more often. I like small groups of 3 or 4 people, but I don’t like one-on-one or large groups.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I tend to just do things before really thinking about them; typically, I agree actions speak more than words.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Depends on what they want to do and how much energy reserves I have.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
Cry and get irritable.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Hypocrisy, pretentiousness, people that are too abrasive.*

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I like to talk to people about anything I’m interested in honestly, lol.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life.
Everyday life things. I’m trash with paying bills and keeping up with assignments.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
Sarcastic, maybe kinda funny, emotional, passionate, obsessive with my interests. People who get to know me consider me to be smart, but I’m pretty sure people who don’t know me think I’m an airhead. No one would call me conceited or overly ambitious lol.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Sleeping in, having a nice brunch, going shopping, seeing a movie, going to a museum, watching a documentary.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You seem to be a Fi-dom, but I see quite a lot of Se in this questionnaire, too. Fi/Se axis would indicate ISFP. That could be why you don't completely relate to your type, but the similarities are why you are getting INFP in the online tests (the tests are known for being quite biased towards getting N).

Here are some good resources on the main functions of this type:

How Functions Work: Dominant Fi (ISFP/INFP) - Type Theory

How Functions Work: Auxiliary Se (ISTP/ISFP) - Type Theory

ISFP - Type Theory

Let me know if this sounds better, or if you still have some questions. Maybe if you still don't relate, tell us why you don't relate to the types? Which one do you think fits best, for you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@Bergapten, That Fi description from mbti-notes is spot on; there is no doubt to me that I’m a Fi-dom. I hadn’t seen this blog, so thanks for the link!

However, this also means that they tend to have difficulty acting against their strong feelings or opinions, easily rationalizing that inner harmony trumps the need for success and achievement in the world, perhaps unable to muster the mental fortitude to work hard for long term goals.
I may be reading too much into this, or reading into it incorrectly, but I honestly resonate with this so much. I see other people who are able to excel in the world because they are able to deal not only with the stress, but with the structure and types of people I feel are unpleasant. I have a low threshold for anything I think is BS, so I tend to dip out of things if I feel like my personhood has been violated in some sort of way. I understand that structures are necessary for society to work, but if I feel things get personal in their negativity, I have a difficult time staying somewhere that could lead me to a more successful place in life.

When Fi overindulges Se, it becomes excessive in pursuing new experiences because it wants to entertain adventurousness and enjoy experiences without restriction. These ISFPs are prone to meaningless unhealthy, unproductive, risky, or dangerous behaviors, neglecting their own well-being, and failing to understand the long term consequences of their actions.
When I get upset, I tend to blow my money, eat too much or not enough, and drink way too much. I used to drive pretty crazy as well, but I've gotten over that a bit. It was the most dangerous thing I tended to do.

I just question if I have Si because I have this annoying tendency to constantly reference one thing in comparison to another. I don't know if that in and of itself is indicative of Si, or if it is not related to type. I love new experiences and do indulge in physical things a lot, but I also like to look for familiar things as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
@Mori

You are welcome. I very much like that site, as it cuts through generic stereotype and explains everything in detail. It even has a typing yourself/others guide, which is very extensive.

I may be reading too much into this, or reading into it incorrectly, but I honestly resonate with this so much. I see other people who are able to excel in the world because they are able to deal not only with the stress, but with the structure and types of people I feel are unpleasant. I have a low threshold for anything I think is BS, so I tend to dip out of things if I feel like my personhood has been violated in some sort of way. I understand that structures are necessary for society to work, but if I feel things get personal in their negativity, I have a difficult time staying somewhere that could lead me to a more successful place in life.

That is very Fi-oriented thinking, but that was clear in your questionnaire. You seem very driven by your moral compass, but that compass is derived from individual value and isn't dictated to you by others, as Fe would be more concerned about others.

When I get upset, I tend to blow my money, eat too much or not enough, and drink way too much. I used to drive pretty crazy as well, but I've gotten over that a bit. It was the most dangerous thing I tended to do.

I just question if I have Si because I have this annoying tendency to constantly reference one thing in comparison to another. I don't know if that in and of itself is indicative of Si, or if it is not related to type. I love new experiences and do indulge in physical things a lot, but I also like to look for familiar things as well.
It could be, if it was rooted with other facts that indicated a Si-oriented thinking pattern. We all have shades, but the fact that you have very Se-related thoughts, such as...

"I want to see the world, explore it, learn from it. ... I just want to explore and learn."

"Honestly, just being in New York City. I love the life, movement, the accessibility to cultural events."

"I definitely think a lot about how it will affect the ones I love, but I also make a lot of rash decisions made in the heat of an emotion too." (This, to me, reads very Fi/Se combined - but others may disagree)

"I tend to just do things before really thinking about them; typically, I agree actions speak more than words." (This very much argues your heavy preferences for Se over Si; Si would never be caught dead doing something before thinking unless they were in an unhealthy state. Also could support inferior Te).

...these all tell me you favour Se over Si. As well as you seem to display Se-related unhealthy patterns, at least in that paragraph.

The only other thing I thought of, reading through this again, is that you could be ESFP, as there isn't necessarily anything telling me you're not extroverted. But my feeling your Fi is higher than Se is telling me you're more ISFP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Bergapten and @xraydav, thanks to both of you for your input! xraydav, I read up on 7w6 and I can definitely relate to it. Do you have any particular reason why you think I lead with Se over Fi?

Once ISFP was stated I also considered ESFP as being an option. My problem is that I am not sure if I'm a Fi-dom or Se-dom (if I use Se). I've definitely become more outgoing in recent years, but I've been attributing it to lower extroverted functions starting to develop as I'm in my twenties.

Also, are clumsy Se-dom or Se-Aux users a thing? Because I definitely can be. And I often miss little details about me as well. I sort of thought these things were indicative or me not having Se or having it lower in a functional stack, but maybe this is an incorrect assumption.

·
Registered
52 Posts
@Bergapten and @xraydav, thanks to both of you for your input! xraydav, I read up on 7w6 and I can definitely relate to it. Do you have any particular reason why you think I lead with Se over Fi?

Once ISFP was stated I also considered ESFP as being an option. My problem is that I am not sure if I'm a Fi-dom or Se-dom (if I use Se). I've definitely become more outgoing in recent years, but I've been attributing it to lower extroverted functions starting to develop as I'm in my twenties.

Also, are clumsy Se-dom or Se-Aux users a thing? Because I definitely can be. And I often miss little details about me as well. I sort of thought these things were indicative or me not having Se or having it lower in a functional stack, but maybe this is an incorrect assumption.
Something tells me that, if you are definitely choosing between these two types and that typing has resonated with you, the fact you are much more aware of your Fi tells me it is your dominant process.

It definitely can be a thing to be Se-aux and clumsy. There were a few accounts on this website, actually, though I don't remember where that was. Your Se can be filtered into many things; for you, it seems to be getting out and exploring new experiences, learning through exploration, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something tells me that, if you are definitely choosing between these two types and that typing has resonated with you, the fact you are much more aware of your Fi tells me it is your dominant process.

It definitely can be a thing to be Se-aux and clumsy. There were a few accounts on this website, actually, though I don't remember where that was. Your Se can be filtered into many things; for you, it seems to be getting out and exploring new experiences, learning through exploration, etc.
Okay, that is good to know. My clumsiness and sometimes unawareness of my surroundings really made me question the idea of Se, but if impeccable agility is not a requirement... lol.

Thanks so much for your help! I think I'm leaning more toward ISFP as well. Even if there is lingering doubt, xSFP regardless feels more fitting than INFP.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Glad to hear it, @Mori :)

Regardless, as you said, it’s narrowed down to two. And you have the benefit of having a strong leaning. Now you can just dissect them and determine how the functions stack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts