Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*ahem* Now that this can be done from a more subjective viewpoint...

I just confirmed that I'm an INFP, only to question it from an absolute standpoint as well. This irritates me to no end after relating to many of the types for a while, so I figured I would ask for help this time around. I'm actually considering whether I'm an ENTJ or not at this point, knowing about what seems like a hidden ability and potential to lead rationally, and the fact that I've gotten computer knowledge (along with professionalism and computer security plus career opportunities and networking) drilled into my brain for three straight years while in high school a year or so ago.

From a different perspective, I'm dominant (Fi) but developed my tertiary (Te) to the point that I'm questioning whether I'm dominantly one or the other! Plus swapping Si for Se, they both have the same functions in a different order; just like ESTJ and INFP.

I haven't been around for very long, and I've been a part of the INFP subforum more than any other part of the forum, but it's time I got this resolved before any more confusion. I would appreciate any input on the topic. I'm also open to questions to clarify.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Ahaha, you already know the ropes of how functions work well, then. I see that it's a hard thing to decide sometimes, as I keep thinking that I'm borderline ENFP or INFJ sometimes or even INTP, and those are all three very different types, too.

ENTJ is an interesting stretch, but there's no saying that an INFP can't be good with computers. I can't live without technology! But, I think, as a definite INFP, that an INFP is a heavy daydreamer, and does this every change he/she can get.
If in love, we're TOTAL martyrs; willing to give up everything and everything, read and write poetry, set up the perfect date; the whole nine yards. I bet you've done this too?
It just doesn't seem like the type of thing that an ENTJ would EVER dream of doing. =P

Before you knew about the MBTI, or maybe even a few years before High School; how were you then, as a child? That helped me realize a lot about myself.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'm dominant (Fi) but developed my tertiary (Te) to the point that I'm questioning whether I'm dominantly one or the other! Plus swapping Si for Se, they both have the same functions in a different order; just like ESTJ and INFP.
Actually, your Te would be your fourth function, or your inferior function.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Also, if you have the innate desire to be a leader, that's not very INFPlike. It's not that an INFP can't do it, but we just feel the most comfortable letting others dirty their hands, and then we contribute the ideas where and when we feel they are necessary. =)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ahaha, you already know the ropes of how functions work well, then. I see that it's a hard thing to decide sometimes, as I keep thinking that I'm borderline ENFP or INFJ sometimes or even INTP, and those are all three very different types, too.

ENTJ is an interesting stretch, but there's no saying that an INFP can't be good with computers. I can't live without technology! But, I think, as a definite INFP, that an INFP is a heavy daydreamer, and does this every change he/she can get.
If in love, we're TOTAL martyrs; willing to give up everything and everything, read and write poetry, set up the perfect date; the whole nine yards. I bet you've done this too?
It just doesn't seem like the type of thing that an ENTJ would EVER dream of doing. =P

Before you knew about the MBTI, or maybe even a few years before High School; how were you then, as a child? That helped me realize a lot about myself.
I haven't been in a relationship long enough or with enough commitment to experience love, but I have seen with emotional connections (that I feel connected, too) that I try to do anything and everything in my power to help whoever it is out of their slump. Just because I'd like to see whoever it is that I care about for whatever reason happy. If I can't help them, I usually hope the best. And if I can, I do. It's complicated, and I shouldn't get into it here. I have not wanted to do anything for a significant other yet because I haven't felt an emotional bond to anyone that I've dated so far, admittedly.

I think I might be ENTJ (view below, Paranoid Android) because I've developed Te. I don't use it as much because I've experienced feeling nothing from my actions while thinking too much and while submitting to logic as a result. It made me feel like if you wanted to go into a pool with cold water after getting out, and you were struggling to deal with the cold after being out for so long. that's how I'm felt about my feelings after focusing on T in high school.

Before I knew about the MBTI AND before high school, I liked to go outside. Eventually I failed a math course in elementary school, and got grounded for three months out of it. During that time, I just sat and stared out the window when I wasn't doing homework or something. I did break down emotionally, once. I was just misunderstood. That's all I should share about the topic.

Actually, your Te would be your fourth function, or your inferior function.
That's what I meant, mistake on my part. mypersonality.info says Least, by the way. :tongue:

Also, if you have the innate desire to be a leader, that's not very INFPlike. It's not that an INFP can't do it, but we just feel the most comfortable letting others dirty their hands, and then we contribute the ideas where and when we feel they are necessary. =)
I don't really want to lead, but I feel my ideals will have me being almost the complete opposite of what I am. I've felt that way since I learned about professionalism and computers on a sound level. I have training and can lead, though. I can see that I have a choice between being INFP me and being a leader. If I'm ever feeling in the work place, it throws off most of my professionalism; like an EMP to a light bulb. I can lead, but I prefer not to.

I mean that I see the effects of people screwing up in leadership positions since I am aware of some good and bad traits and styles of leadership, and it kind of hurts. I want to do something about it, but I'm helpless to help them resolve their conflict with a corrupt leader. My INTP friend considers me spineless as a pep talk.

my definition of 'a leader' - ENTJ without cold-ness. Explain: If someone convinced me it was okay to be aggressive, I'd likely be an ENTJ. But I feel it isn't okay unless there is a justifiable reason to put aside my feelings like the loss of a loved one, or extremely extreme betrayal of trust. If I set my feelings aside, E and J come out to play as well and guess what? aggression is formed. That's why I feel the way I do about it.

Reactions: Vaka

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
This might sound funny, but with just reading your text, you seem to have an air of privacy about you, which may suggest your correctness about your xNxx type.

It is common for an INFP to show his/her shadow types under stress or unpleasant times. If you are unhappy or aren't at peace with something, then that is reasonable.

Ahh, it seems natural for an INFP to have his/her head bashed in with logic before he/she is able to use it effectively. If that logic came to you with little to no effort of bringing it about, then there's more evidence for you. Being absolutely sure of your functions and knowing which ones are the strongest and which ones work with one another is even more accurate to knowing. Since you seem to exhibit both; note when they seem to shift and how visible the shift is. You seem to be doing that. =P

A lot of people don't have the fortune to take a test once and get a doubtless result, let alone take it 100 times and get the same one! But review what's happened to you in your life and how it's impacted your I/E, N/S, F/T, and your P/J. If I knew you, then I'd be able to help, so I'm sorry if what I'm saying doesn't make much sense. =P

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The verdict:
I'm empathetic. And the times when I'm not feeling things from my life, I'm empathizing with others. My loneliness is derived from not having animals to be around any more, so I appreciate people while they're around. But constantly checking in with people who are fine and extroverts themselves makes me feel fake. I've spent 45 minutes re-thinking this post so far. Jeez I'm sorry for wasting your time. I'm thinking far, far too much. Major brain fart.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Your writing style is not concise enough to suggest Te-dom, IMO. TeNi seems to result in a communication style that has all the fat cut out. You tends towards the NFP style of weaving in random subtexts and using poetic phrasing (not just here, but what I've seen of your posts in general).

If you feel you have higher Te than an INFP would likely have, then consider ENFP. ENFPs have tertiary Te, and I find it quite visible in them at times. ENFPs have a leader streak also - they are often called "champions", meaning they will fight for what they believe in. INFPs will also, but tend to be more subtle. If I understand you correctly, you do see your Te as more of a support for Feeling, rather than leading your Feeling, but you see the capability of it to overcome Feeling; being the relief function, sometimes the tertiary (in this case, possibly Te) does sort rise over the auxiliary (Fi), especially during stress. Over-relying on it can be problematic though.

And honestly, I don't think INFPs cannot be good leaders. There's a difference between ability and desire. When I was in school, I'd find myself dominating in creative group projects. On my job, I was accused of being "aggressive" at times when something was important to me (the ESTJ "business suit"). When it is something I care about, then I am not passive, and I will take the lead. I think INFPs appear passive when they don't care, and we often don't care about stuff other people care about.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I don't know enough about MBTI to type myself correctly, but I agree with you on most points. Also, my writing style on here only beats around the bush because I try to consider the feelings of others when I'm interacting with them. I don't want to hurt anyones' feelings. Also, I don't think that I'm attracted to being a leader; I'm sort of stuck there, even when I'm not present. I looked up some more information on both the types, and their portraits here:

http://www.keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=3&c=champion
http://www.keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=3&c=healer

The reasoning behind why I think I might be an ENTJ is still in the pudding, but I don't know how to express the idea over to anyone. For once though, I am accepting (and justifying my doubts) on your reasoning, and also my doubts as to why I might be an ENFP instead of an INFP. Open-mindeness includes being open to change, which I've failed to keep in mind through the process up until now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts