Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this sort of character flaw, and I was wondering if others shared it. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to completing tasks, if I set my mind to something I have to do it perfectly. If I know I can't accomplish a task perfectly, or at least to a satisfactory level in my own mind, I will rarely even attempt to complete the task. I call it Lazy Perfectionism and I was wondering if others were stricken with this malady.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It really depends on how you view perfection. I don't see perfection as when nothing more can be added. Perfection is when nothing more can be taken away.

So with any task, you can keep doing that one more thing, that tweak here or that tweak there and it will be perfect. The other view of perfection is that when something gets to the point where if you take away anything, it will no longer be what it is, then it perfect. If you come to it from that view, you're not trying to add more. Instead you're reducing something to it's purest form.

With any task there's no limit to what you can add and thus it's daunting because there always seems like there's one more thing to do. However, there's a limited amount of things you can take away before changing the essence of that task.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So I have this sort of character flaw, and I was wondering if others shared it. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to completing tasks, if I set my mind to something I have to do it perfectly. If I know I can't accomplish a task perfectly, or at least to a satisfactory level in my own mind, I will rarely even attempt to complete the task. I call it Lazy Perfectionism and I was wondering if others were stricken with this malady.

i relate to this .. very much ... and this is one of the major reasons that keeps a lot of the things I want to achieve not to be done as much as i wish or want to achieve them , simply because i know i might need somebody to help me in one stage or in another , and not just any person can perform to the high level that i want the work to reach …

when I think about what I want to accomplish, I think about them in a complete perfect way.

But unfortunately when it comes to real life… these things are hard to be performed or shaped as was visualized in mind..

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm a perfectionist when it comes to completing tasks, if I set my mind to something I have to do it perfectly. If I know I can't accomplish a task perfectly, or at least to a satisfactory level in my own mind, I will rarely even attempt to complete the task. I call it Lazy Perfectionism and I was wondering if others were stricken with this malady.
Yeah, that's me in a nutshell. I've been that way as long as I can remember... even longer than I can remember, if I believe the stories my mum has told me about myself as a little kid. It's a huge problem for me. :\

·
Banned
59 Posts
I know what you mean, man. There's that little voice in your head always going "psst, hey, you missed a spot"

one thing that's always helped me with this is to remember that oftentimes you're the only one who's going to notice small errors in things. it's like being self-conscious in a crowd, you think everyone is noticing your imperfections but really, they're too focused on other things or their own imperfections to notice or care about yours.

Reactions: Geoffrey

·
Registered
616 Posts
-----Yes, I have the same problem. Unfortunately, perfectionism can lead to procrastination. It's difficult to do something "good enough." But the world demands efficiency, which means completing a task competently in a reasonable amount of time. Worse, I tend to only get really involved at all if I am really interested, and that fuels the desire for perfection.
-----It helps to try to compartmentalize that desire for perfection to one element of your life--preferably where it can be productive. For me, it's with my creative writing. With anything else, I try to let go that desire for perfection.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,449 Posts
If it can't be perfect, and I can't be the absolute best at it, I don't even want to start it. But then I do start it and just keep working and working at it, and never finish it because I alwlays see more potential. Not the best way to get things done, but I'm working on it.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
It's not that lol, you just want to avoid the subject at hand, which is "doing what you have to do". You think of reasons that you do what you have to do but you don't do it because you are a perfectionist. Does that mean you can't do it? Come on just be honest to yourself and say that you are lazy and not a lazy perfectionist :p.

(not that I don't have the same problem though hehe)

Reactions: L P and Geoffrey

·
Registered
43 Posts
It really depends on how you view perfection. I don't see perfection as when nothing more can be added. Perfection is when nothing more can be taken away.

So with any task, you can keep doing that one more thing, that tweak here or that tweak there and it will be perfect. The other view of perfection is that when something gets to the point where if you take away anything, it will no longer be what it is, then it perfect. If you come to it from that view, you're not trying to add more. Instead you're reducing something to it's purest form.

With any task there's no limit to what you can add and thus it's daunting because there always seems like there's one more thing to do. However, there's a limited amount of things you can take away before changing the essence of that task.

Wow, I thank you sir, from the bottom of my heart. I admit that this way of thinking has never occurred to me quite like you state it in this post. I will make a conscious effort to look at the tasks I undertake with this kind of mindset.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Come on just be honest to yourself and say that you are lazy and not a lazy perfectionist :p.

(not that I don't have the same problem though hehe)
I wouldn't say I am lazy because when I am trying to accomplish a task for another person I don't have this problem as long as I don't get invested in the project. Once I invest in a project I hold it to very high standards.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Something that has been preventing me from getting more interested in art is my seeming inability to master classical techniques. For instance, I love Chinese brush painting, but I feel as though I have to "follow the rules" or my art is worthless. This is pretty screwball, and I know better, but I feel like I have to stay faithful to the art. Oh well. With other things I have been able to convince myself that good enough really is good enough. I think it's important to keep that in mind.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I wouldn't say I am lazy because when I am trying to accomplish a task for another person I don't have this problem as long as I don't get invested in the project. Once I invest in a project I hold it to very high standards.
That may have something to do with the extend to which you think you can take responsibility for a lack of standards. For our personality it may be difficult to bypass things once we invest in it because it's hard for us to see what's relevant to keep and what's relevant to avoid.

Reactions: Geoffrey and Vatar

·
Registered
344 Posts
No, I'm not like that. I strongly dislike the last 20% of anything I am supposed to do. Often I post here in the forum without proof reading what I have written.

However, I am very perfectionistic about others.

Reactions: Geoffrey

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
YES. I have heard it called "discouraged perfectionist". You either do it perfectly right or perfectly wrong. It makes it harder to accept something mediocre that you have created. If it's mediocre, it might as well get thrown out. If you can't do it right, then don't do it at all. I am very much like this. I wonder if it stems from a fear of failure?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Absolutely. If I am bothered to do something, then I want to do it perfectly.
Why would I want to waste my time? :wink:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yes. This has to do with being addicted to our ideal in Fi and Ne explorations to always look for new avenues to escape reality. We keep using Ne to try and find better ways, which is okay, but we have to accept that Si and Te are more reality oriented. This is why ESTJs are more successful, but INFPs can become successful when they try to learn everything they can about Te, and Si. These functions help you gain addictive pleasure based on what you actually achieved. Si can be used as a storehouse of how things work and checklists to make things more "perfect" in reality. The automatic functions of Fi and Ne can then be looked at as something helpful that pops up with ideas to adjust your plans, and you'll be more flexible than ESTJ's in changing plans in midstream (if that is appropriate).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.