Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appear random and spontaneous, just to hide how cynical I can be about human nature, and I believe that most INFP's can be really cynical about people at the core because we're emotionally aware of how suffering can impact others.

Combine that cynicism with a strong sense of wanting justice, how are your personal morals developed?

I think of injustice quite frequently.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Combine that cynicism with a strong sense of wanting justice, how are your personal morals developed?
I actually think people care too much about justice. What people call "justice" is usually just vengeance or revenge, which doesn't help anything. I don't have a strong sense of "justice." I suppose I just have a strong sense of wanting to help people, not punish them for their ignorance, because usually that solves nothing & can worsen the situation.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually think people care too much about justice. What people call "justice" is usually just vengeance or revenge, which doesn't help anything. I don't have a strong sense of "justice." I suppose I just have a strong sense of wanting to help people, not punish them for their ignorance, because usually that solves nothing & can worsen the situation.
Justice has to have mercy. I view 'justice' as providing more possible freedom for the oppressed and voiceless, for example.

Editted/added for clarity:

I see your point, though. An eye for an eye makes the world go blind. However, it's still useful to look at the situations of those who deserve better than what they had gone through.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I always think of things that are "just" as things that are "fair". I like fairness a lot. If you get five pieces of chocolate, I should get five pieces too. If you steal two of my pieces, then next time we're each given chocolate, you should get less. There are definitely lots of exceptions to this, but generally, I believe in fairness. I hate being treatedly unfairly almost more than anything in the world, and I try very hard to be very fair in most situations.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
If the world was full of villains, I'd want to be a hero.
And if the world was full of heroes, I'd want to be a villain.

As I always say to people, I may do 'good' deeds, but that doesn't mean I'm a good person.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
the world is full of injustice-the world is unfair and there it alwasy has been. the world may be bad but i itend to be a postive influence-i can't stop the bad buti can refuse to participate in it

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't want justice. I want peace. I don't care if bad people are let off the hook to obtain that peace.
mm.. this i agree with. we need more compassion, there's plenty of justice. justice just means people acting superior, and 2 wrongs where 1 would have sufficed... also, i think having justice as the model for morality in our culture has promoted the "if i can get away with it" attitude, as opposed to the "i'll do it if it's the right thing to do" attitude.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Justice implies judging to me, and I'm an INFP :laughing:

My personal sense of justice only extends to situations which I fully understand. Like an INFP description somewhere once said, I "don't understand or believe in the validity of impersonal judgement". Justice is a concept which lends itself to abusers of power, so I don't really promote the idea. I prefer to think in terms of whether people are doing the right thing or not. I do believe there are certain things which may be universally "bad" things to do, like rape or murder, but at the same time I believe that in more complex situations, one standard of what is right or not is not enough. It's complicated, and I think that's why we have never achieved world peace (amongst other obstacles). Right and wrong are not the same for everybody.

I definitely have my own sense of right and wrong, though, and in certain situations with less gray around them, I'm not afraid to hold others to my standards and beliefs.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Justice implies judging to me, and I'm an INFP :laughing:
Lol :crazy:

For me, justice is something relevant to the objective and subjective world. In other words, for the worlds that need both personal and impersonal judgment.

My personal sense of justice only extends to situations which I fully understand. Like an INFP description somewhere once said, I "don't understand or believe in the validity of impersonal judgement". Justice is a concept which lends itself to abusers of power, so I don't really promote the idea. I prefer to think in terms of whether people are doing the right thing or not. I do believe there are certain things which may be universally "bad" things to do, like rape or murder, but at the same time I believe that in more complex situations, one standard of what is right or not is not enough. It's complicated, and I think that's why we have never achieved world peace (amongst other obstacles). Right and wrong are not the same for everybody.

I definitely have my own sense of right and wrong, though, and in certain situations with less gray around them, I'm not afraid to hold others to my standards and beliefs.
I think you meant that your morals may be composed on a situational basis.. Like, you have a sense of what's truly right when it comes to assessing case by case situations right? :happy: Am I right? :unsure:

I know, matters of the world are always more complex, even than what the media portrays.

I care about justice, as in I'd like to see some end to oppression, though complete end would not be possible.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I definitely have a strong sense of justice,

But I don't think it has much to do with how I manage personal relationships

I don't want justice. I want peace. I don't care if bad people are let off the hook to obtain that peace.
Sometimes there are trade offs. Definitely ending a civil war is more important than punishing those who participated in it.

But first and foremost, justice means helping those who are oppressed, and fighting against the oppressors until you make damn sure they stop.

Peace with humiliation and oppression is not peace; it's bullshit. I for one don't want that kind of peace.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I definitely have a strong sense of justice,

But I don't think it has much to do with how I manage personal relationships

YouTube - Code Geass: Black Knights English Dubbed Debut [HD]

YouTube - The Order Of The Black Knights Debut

Sometimes there are trade offs. Definitely ending a civil war is more important than punishing those who participated in it.

But first and foremost, justice means helping those who are oppressed, and fighting against the oppressors until you make damn sure they stop.

Peace with humiliation and oppression is not peace; it's bullshit. I for one don't want that kind of peace.

Always remember our brothers and sisters in need

:wink:

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Justice can be defined in other ways other than some kind of punishment, as Gemofgreen alluded to.

I always think of things that are "just" as things that are "fair". I like fairness a lot. If you get five pieces of chocolate, I should get five pieces too. If you steal two of my pieces, then next time we're each given chocolate, you should get less. There are definitely lots of exceptions to this, but generally, I believe in fairness. I hate being treatedly unfairly almost more than anything in the world, and I try very hard to be very fair in most situations.
^ this is more distributive justice.

I think you ask a very good question Izzie, because at it's core, and away from all the different conceptions of freedom, as Adam Swift says, justice is about giving people what is, or is not due to them. Not what they'd like or would be morally good for them, but what they are due. And from there, what it is our duty, if we are part of this collective, to do for one another. Which can give us priorities and essentially values.

Justice is tied and related with so many other concepts like freedom, society, equality.

I fail to see how justice can not play an important role in anyones formation of values.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Justice must not be about judging, it must be about justness and true equality.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I appear random and spontaneous, just to hide how cynical I can be about human nature, and I believe that most INFP's can be really cynical about people at the core because we're emotionally aware of how suffering can impact others.

I think of injustice quite frequently.
So do I. It's one of things which bothers me the most. I take a lot of pride in being altruistic and self sacrificing and protecting those weaker than myself. I have an old fashioned concept of honor, which is very powerful for me. It's kind of embarrassing but I almost see it as an "honor" to help others. It's very ideal driven and fantastic, but very real to me at the same time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts